Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Hey, listen the gently caress up. This is a super high-effort post that will be briefed only once before we start our 12 mile release run. Before I begin I want to do a real quick PCI of everyone's reflective belt.

Okay, great. If you're in the military and are active duty or over the grade of E6 in the reserves/national guard you are most likely expected to pass your PT test twice a year (if you're under the grade of E6 in the reserves/national guard we want you to try really hard to pass, mmkay?).

Some of you are super studs looking to get MAXIMUM GAINS to get your PT score to 350 (if you're in the Army, BTW, the extended scale no longer exists). Some of you are like me and think PT tests are absolutely retarded and would like to strive for the real Army minimum of 270 and get on with your life (I have no idea what the standard is in other branches, sorry). Maybe you celebrated passing your last PT test 4 months ago with 52 straight days of drinking and pizza and need to get your rear end back in shape for your next one. Or maybe you're about to make the terrible decision to join the military and need to recover from your 52 straight days of drinking and pizza in order to actually sign your paperwork.

But didn't we already have a thread for this before?

HAHA, VERY FUNNY SARNT. MAYBE YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF ARCHIVES? HOW ABOUT YOU DO SOME loving PUSHUPS TO JAR YOUR MEMORY. OH, AND SHAVE YOUR loving SIDEBURNS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT. AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A PLAN FOR DEALING WITH THOSE SLEEVES UP THERE, MISSY. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

Commander's Intent
My intent is that this thread:
(1) Should contain general discourse on military-oriented workouts.
(2) Should also contain information for people struggling to pass their PT test or seeking to enlist in the military.
(3) Contain discussion of fitness test revisions.
(4) Offer advice to help condition individuals preparing to mobilize ISO OEF.
(5) Will contain the minimum amount of bitching necessary to facilitate humorous discussion.

-------

STARTING CONTENT!

I've been doing some pretty intense power-lifting (squats, DLs, DB bench/incline/military press) over the past 3 months along with non-running cardio. I don't mind running, but it really just takes up too much time at this point in my life (I only do long runs about once a week now). For those of you in this routine, what kind of trainup do you do for your PT test (applies mostly to Army and Navy guys, I suppose)? I've got one in April, so I'm about two months out at the moment.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pushups are easy. Do more pushups. When you're done with pushups, do more pushups.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
pt is gay

thread is gay

psydude is gay

quote this if youre down

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe if officers worried less about PT and more about actually knowing their jobs or something we wouldnt have lost 2 wars the past decade

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Officers: Literally more concerned with APFT averages on .ppt slides than actual tactics and strategies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

maybe if officers worried less about PT and more about actually knowing their jobs or something we wouldnt have lost 2 wars the past decade

Or maybe if our Army loved marathons as much as the officer corps does we would finally be able to defeat the Taliban?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

pt is gay

thread is gay

psydude is gay

quote this if youre down

I've known too many pt studs who can't reassemble a 240 let alone figure out tactics. True story got held up doing convoy security right outside the gate, once for two hours because some pt stud couldn't put a simple as gently caress machine gun back together and it fell apart when he charged it for a testfire.

I think officers pt so much so they can out run the friends of the soldier/sailor/airman/marine they just got killed by being stupid

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I went from a ~14min gay 2-mile to a 12:40 gay 2-mile by shamming out of company runs and doing weighted sled sprints on my own. Take from that what you will.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
Its immediately apparent a guy is out of shape and worthless when he quickly defends himself by throwing up a false dichotomy between works performance and pt, as if you can't be good at both.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
true story i'm the fat guy in the first picture

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

psydude posted:

I've been doing some pretty intense power-lifting (squats, DLs, DB bench/incline/military press) over the past 3 months along with non-running cardio. I don't mind running, but it really just takes up too much time at this point in my life (I only do long runs about once a week now). For those of you in this routine, what kind of trainup do you do for your PT test (applies mostly to Army and Navy guys, I suppose)? I've got one in April, so I'm about two months out at the moment.

For the run, lots of people I know of had success with sprints. I used this one:

rounds x distance (meters) / target time / rest interval

8x200 48-50 2:00

5x400 1:48-52 3x interval

8x200 45-49 2:00

3x800 3:42-52 3x int

5x400 1:44-49 3x int

8x200 44-48 2:00

5x400 1:39-45 3x int

3x800 3:23-32 3x int

5x400 1:34-40 3x int

5x400 1:30-36 3x int

3x800 3:13-22 3x int

8x200 38-44 2m

3x800 3:04-14 3x int

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

pt is gay

thread is gay

psydude is gay

quote this if youre down

I run intervals and then do lots of situps and pushups but I'm a skinny baby.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I never work out unless I'm at work, I get a 260, which is on the high end for my unit so I've really got no desire to improve.

I need a training buddy or something shiny to motivate me to actually try for things.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think if I got a 260 I'd be a PT god in my company. Which is bad because I'd still be a black sheep as far as officers are concerned, especially since my marathon time isn't below 3 hours.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Officers: Literally more concerned with APFT averages on .ppt slides than actual tactics and strategies.

700 combat hours
RIF'd for previous PT referral
92/100 on most recent AF PFT

Also, hosed knees. :( Heat pack on right now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Uh, I got like a 240 last year and I'm pretty sure that was one of the higher scores for the company.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Irrational Man posted:

Its immediately apparent a guy is out of shape and worthless when he quickly defends himself by throwing up a false dichotomy between works performance and pt, as if you can't be good at both.

You sound like a real motivator, who lost an eye when you took the buttplate off with the bolt to the rear? Or are you more the heat cat because he can't do land nav type?

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
I run 3 times a week. 1 interval workout, 1 tempo run, 1 long run on Saturdays. Do low impact cardio 2-3 days a week besides that. Do starting strength lift program 3 days a week, but sometimes skip the 2nd lift to do a crossfit style workout instead.

Lots of Officer love in here. Don't forget about the joes that fall asleep on their guard shift or pull security with their feet towards their 240 instead of sitting behind it and scanning through their optic while overwatching the rest of the Platoon's movement.

Every Officer is worthless and a mark rear end mark, trick rear end mark, punk bitch and skip skap skank and scally wag, hoe, heffer, hee ha, and hooly hoo.

Hate hate hate hate hate...

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

Steezo posted:

You sound like a real motivator, who lost an eye when you took the buttplate off with the bolt to the rear? Or are you more the heat cat because he can't do land nav type?

what is someone talking? oh I can't hear you until you address me from the position of attention

Lol at privates acting like they're an NCO with 20 years in, with 4 combat tours, and thousands of miles on them. For those guys, pt doesn't matter. For young Soldiers, you are complete poo poo if you're bad at PT, and you're worse if you're pretentious enough to try and justify it. Just get out

Irrational Man fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 4, 2012

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
We should have a GiP Officer Hater's Ball

I nominate Kikuchiyo for calling in a bomb threat to a BOSS retreat that he wasn't allowed to go on because he was an Officer.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wait what someone did that

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

wait what someone did that

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=24419

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I used to PT a lot

Then I joined the AF

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I do starting strength m/w/f and run mon-sat. Lift days are my light runs. Light runs are 1.5-3mi, Sat is a long 6-7 mi, and t/th are usually 4-5. The distance I run in a given week depends on where I run and how I feel after class or drinking. Been doing this since December and it's pretty awesome. Seems like a lot of running but I'm not retarded and actually know how to train properly. :smug:

Protip: do running drills and stretches. Army PRT is useless. Look up poo poo that track and cross country athletes do to avoid injury/improve form.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If you're a Marine or wannabe debil dawg, and you struggle with pull-ups, then you need to check out the Armstrong Pull-up Program This program works very well for most people. Don't use bands either. 4 weeks before I went to boot camp I could barely do 5. I did this program for 4 weeks and got 12 on my IST in MCRD San Diego. I wasn't even doing the push-up portion.

If you can do a decent amount of pull-ups already (15+) another way to get them up without doing pull-ups 5x days a week is to do heavy bicep curls and lat pull-downs 1-2x times a week and do 3-6 sets of 4-8 reps of pull-ups at the very end of your workout.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

If you're a Marine or wannabe debil dawg, and you struggle with pull-ups, then you need to check out the Armstrong Pull-up Program This program works very well for most people. Don't use bands either. 4 weeks before I went to boot camp I could barely do 5. I did this program for 4 weeks and got 12 on my IST in MCRD San Diego. I wasn't even doing the push-up portion.

If you can do a decent amount of pull-ups already (15+) another way to get them up without doing pull-ups 5x days a week is to do heavy bicep curls and lat pull-downs 1-2x times a week and do 3-6 sets of 4-8 reps of pull-ups at the very end of your workout.

Do you really find curls and lat pulldowns help chin/pullup numbers? I find they're terrible and adding weight to chins and pullups is best by a mile

For reference I could do 3 sets of 12 chins at 230 lbs, used 25-45 lb weights at 6-8 reps to get better for the most part. Lat pulldowns seemed quite useless and maybe curls helped but I dont really know

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 4, 2012

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

moker posted:

Do you really find curls and lat pulldowns help chin/pullup numbers? I find they're terrible and adding weight to chins and pullups is best by a mile

That's how I finally managed to break the 20 pull-up barrier (from 17 reps to 23) and did it pretty quickly. I still would do body weight pull-ups at the end of my workout.

The gym I went to at the time did not have anything I could use to comfortably do weighted pull-ups. Now I do weighted pull-ups with a vest instead of lat pull-downs and do curls after. Either one will work.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

elite_garbage_man posted:

That's how I finally managed to break the 20 pull-up barrier (from 17 reps to 23) and did it pretty quickly. I still would do body weight pull-ups at the end of my workout.

The gym I went to at the time did not have anything I could use to comfortably do weighted pull-ups. Now I do weighted pull-ups with a vest instead of lat pull-downs and do curls after. Either one will work.

Totes jelly of having a weighted vest :(

doogle
May 24, 2003

I pretty much just get huge at the gym and make sure I run a few times a week so I don't get too huge to run. I can sprint like a mother fucker, but anything over 2 miles is rough.

When I joined I was 6'1" and 165lbs, now I'm 201. I used to do about 50 pushups, but flat/incline/decline bench made it so I can max that in under 1.5 minutes. I was always pretty good at sit ups, but after starting to do front squats I can max those with ease too.

I used to max the run, now I run about a 14 minute 2 mile. Maxing 2 events vs 1 is better of course.

Max, max, relax fo lyfe.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I got a 244 on my PT test the other day and I feel like a total shitbag. But on the other hand I'm in a non-deployable signal unit in Germany so there's really no motivation to play to the PT-Score dick waving contest here. I just feel bad because this time last year I was hitting 290+ every time I took one between WLC and ALC.

I need to stop giving a gently caress.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just take HGH.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

psydude posted:

Or maybe if our Army loved marathons as much as the officer corps does we would finally be able to defeat the Taliban?

-Gen Patreus, noted warrior-marathon warrior monk

Rrail posted:

I just take HGH.

Whose your supplier?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
I don't know how I passed my last PT test. I puked after the run and it tasted like Pinot Grigio.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Veins McGee posted:

Whose your supplier?

A shady back alley doctor in Dubai. Muhammed gives me needles filled with things.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
I've gotten so out of shape the last year I gained 40 lbs and was a third time go for my IST APFT. It took me three tries to get a score of 100/100/68.

2nd drill at my new unit I led PT with the Gotch Bible. When I did that at my old unit they recommended I never be allowed to have a deck of cards again.

I was in pretty good shape in Afghanistan where I had nothing better to do than Take N.O.-XPLODE, PT, NIPR all day, take HYDROXYCUT, buy out all the tuna in the PX, take N.O.-XPLODE, and MMA all night. I need another deployment.

Anyways, my PT tip is take your supplements every day and be better than you were yesterday. Also, go to AIRBORNE school. Being AIRBORNE means being a better breed of Soldier where soldierly things become more important in your mind. The difference in mindset before and after I went to AIRBORNE school is like the difference before and after taking N.O.-XPLODE.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Went to the gym this morning before work. Did squats, presses, and power cleans. Felt good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can't do morning gym. I've tried to force myself over the years and have really just found that my motivation is never there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

I can't do morning gym. I've tried to force myself over the years and have really just found that my motivation is never there.

It's either that or after work. That isn't an option because I've been at work 14 hours and I just want to sleep at that point.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

I hate getting up too but for me working out in the morning is the only option. Try taking a pre-workout supplement to boost your energy. I take 2 scoops of BSN Hyper-FX each morning before walking to the gym or else I won't make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

psydude posted:

That's why they make C4-Extreme and Jack3D