Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
It's all about the CF EXPRESS test, where you can do 20 pushups and still meet exemption!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't get BAS and there's no kitchen in the barracks. Your move, LT.

Then put kitchenettes in the barracks and start giving junior enlisted BAS, I don't care.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They just moved everyone into new non-student barracks rooms. Before it was pretty poo poo where you shared one room on the upper floor of student barracks with another dude and had no personal space. Nothing more than a microwave.

Now they're in these super swanky barracks with their own huge bed, room, and shared kitchenette with oven/stove/full fridge.

The MA1 of our command says no one gets BAS because the money goes to our poo poo galley. I was told that wasn't even true and that he wasn't even one to sign-off on the chit. It sucks because BAS is a scam in itself (pay for food whether you eat or not? And who the gently caress spends $325 on food a month?) and the dudes who work night shift get hosed.

Wait is this about fitness?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 7, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Actually, issuing out food stamps instead of BAS would probably be more effective.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Christoff posted:

Enjoy your future heart transplant if you're using both of those concurrently. :psypop:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Being forced to pay for lovely food I didn't eat and all the horrible things associated with living in the barracks are the reasons the army has so many divorces. If I ever find myself active duty again, and the army gives gay marriages the same benefits of straight ones, I'm so going to marry one of my buddies.

Edit: Hell I'd probably just ask psydude to marry me. Not like he can do any better.

Double edit: Yes whip let me in on that sweet sweet pension.

gleep gloop fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 7, 2012

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

gleep glop posted:

Being forced to pay for lovely food I didn't eat and all the horrible things associated with living in the barracks are the reasons the army has so many divorces. If I ever find myself active duty again, and the army gives gay marriages the same benefits of straight ones, I'm so going to marry one of my buddies.

I'm available since Helldump Immunity seems to have left me. :qq:

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Speaking of food, Ft Hood (maybe the rest of the army, who the gently caress knows) is now enforcing taking pay for MREs for soldiers. $9 an MRE and if one person gets one, then everyone has to have one and gets the pay taken out no matter what.

You can get around this by calling out the gut truck.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Speaking of food, Ft Hood (maybe the rest of the army, who the gently caress knows) is now enforcing taking pay for MREs for soldiers. $9 an MRE and if one person gets one, then everyone has to have one and gets the pay taken out no matter what.

You can get around this by calling out the gut truck.

9 Dollars? So enlisted BAS cover 38 meals? What if you're in the field for two weeks and eat MREs for most of that? Or JRTC?

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't get BAS and there's no kitchen in the barracks. Your move, LT.

In other news, I'm contemplating a vegan diet. I know a warrant that did it for many years, and my civilian friends seem to have all become vegans, and love it.

This is a dumb idea. Veganism in general is stupid. At least with vegetarian you can still get high quality dairy protein. Vegan has absolutely none. Rice and bean protein is a pretty pathetic source. Protein has a digestibility amount so what you see on the package isn't exactly what you're getting. To give you an idea, egg and dairy protein rank the highest at about 97% and meat/fish falling at around 94%. Rice fall into the range of about 76%, and beans are lower, though I don't know the exact amount. The highest ranking vegan proteins are peanut butter at 94% oatmeal and whole wheat at 86% and all of them are incomplete proteins. Every other vegetable protein falls even lower than these values. Basically what this means is if you eat 100g of protein of eggs, you only digest 98g of it. 100g from chicken is 94g digested. I trust you can do the math for anything else.

If you try to meet your protein requirements on a vegan diet, you will get fat. Peanut butter is incredibly calorie dense, and you'd need to combine it with another food just to make the complete protein. The vegan favorite and one of the few complete vegetable proteins, Quinoa, has 8g protein per 1 cup. 1 cup has 222 calories, and you're only digesting 86% of this protein. Let's say you want 50g of protein from that. You're looking at about 8 cups of quinoa, which is 1,776 calories IF you eat it plain, cooked in water. An 8oz chicken breast has 72g (68g accounting for digestibility) of protein and 368 calories.

If you don't try to meet your protein requirements, you will shrivel up and become a sad shell of a man as your body eats your own muscle. If a person started a vegan diet being incredibly obese already, then they'll feel fine for a bit because all of their fat will finally be put to use. That's probably the case with that warrant and your friends. Once that's gone, prepare to feel like utter poo poo. And even if they don't feel like poo poo, they probably look like a toothpick, or are incredibly fat.

Go to Bodyrecomposition.com and read through all of Lyle McDonald's articles on nutrition before you start some stupid diet like veganism. You'll find that it's absolutely dumb, and pointless. Any diet that will not keep you alive if you had to live off it in the wild with no supplements sucks. That's the #1 rule when picking a diet to follow.

Unless you want to ignore the advice and try something dumb. Then you can be like me and waste a year gaining nothing and growing weaker.

Pinuyasha fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 7, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

Edit: Hell I'd probably just ask psydude to marry me. Not like he can do any better.

I'd be the most faithful provider.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I tried some of that L-arginine/NO-precursor stuff today before my workout and I did not like it, no sir I did not, loving creepy tingly feeling all over all the time, poo poo was weird and uncomfortable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's probably a niacin flush. I got that when I was using Jack3d, too.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Yeah my face gets really itchy when I take stuff like that. I don't really sweat it but it's definitely annoying the first time it happens.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

overdesigned posted:

I tried some of that L-arginine/NO-precursor stuff today before my workout and I did not like it, no sir I did not, loving creepy tingly feeling all over all the time, poo poo was weird and uncomfortable.

That's a symptom of swoleosis. You're about to get jacked.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Hey since y'all are talking about taking supplements that make your face tingle and/or cause you to lapse into a brief coma I feel like it's my responsibility as the GiP S1 to remind y'all to update your DD93 and SGLI.

Have a nice 18th Airborne Corps day folks :tipshat:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

kathmandu posted:

Hey since y'all are talking about taking supplements that make your face tingle and/or cause you to lapse into a brief coma I feel like it's my responsibility as the GiP S1 to remind y'all to update your DD93 and SGLI.

Have a nice 18th Airborne Corps day folks :tipshat:

I want a title to now.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

overdesigned posted:

That's just the parts of you that know weakness dying. Don't worry about it.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

agentq posted:

9 Dollars? So enlisted BAS cover 38 meals? What if you're in the field for two weeks and eat MREs for most of that? Or JRTC?

I more than $100 more than BAS taken away from my due to JRTC a year ago.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man I'll tell you what: after observing the run portion of a makeup PT test this past weekend where 14 took it and only 5 people pass, it's really motivated me to never wind up like that.

Our course is only about 1.8 miles long, by the way.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

Man I'll tell you what: after observing the run portion of a makeup PT test this past weekend where 14 took it and only 5 people pass, it's really motivated me to never wind up like that.

I swear every reserve track is +/- a quarter mile.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

I swear every reserve track is +/- a quarter mile.

It's gonna be great when we take our next one at AP Hill in two months and everyone suddenly has to run a full two miles.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

psydude posted:

Man, I :siren:HATE:siren: running but I feel like at least on the AF side you have to really try to not pass the run. Minimum for 20-somethings is 1.5 miles in around 13:37. People somehow fail it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shyguy posted:

Man, I :siren:HATE:siren: running but I feel like at least on the AF side you have to really try to not pass the run. Minimum for 20-somethings is 1.5 miles in around 13:37. People somehow fail it.

22 years old in the Army is 16:36. That's a light jog, and yet someone people still manage to fail as well.

The biggest thing I hate about running is that cardiovascular strength/endurance fades incredibly fast. If you take two weeks of from lifting, you can spring right back into it after a few days of trainup where you'll be a little sore. Take two weeks of from running though and hoooooly crap.

TAC
Jun 24, 2010

psydude posted:

The biggest thing I hate about running is that cardiovascular strength/endurance fades incredibly fast. If you take two weeks of from lifting, you can spring right back into it after a few days of trainup where you'll be a little sore. Take two weeks of from running though and hoooooly crap.

Proper form and breathing will do wonders for your run. If you find your time drops drastically after a short break, it could be that you're running inefficiently.

Try some deep breathing exercises first, then try applying them to your run.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Christoff posted:

They just moved everyone into new non-student barracks rooms. Before it was pretty poo poo where you shared one room on the upper floor of student barracks with another dude and had no personal space. Nothing more than a microwave.

Now they're in these super swanky barracks with their own huge bed, room, and shared kitchenette with oven/stove/full fridge.

The MA1 of our command says no one gets BAS because the money goes to our poo poo galley. I was told that wasn't even true and that he wasn't even one to sign-off on the chit. It sucks because BAS is a scam in itself (pay for food whether you eat or not? And who the gently caress spends $325 on food a month?) and the dudes who work night shift get hosed.

Wait is this about fitness?

HAHAHAHAHAHA I love how it proudly states thats its UNIVERSITY STUDIED. Not that it was found to be effective, or even safe, but it was studied! At a university! By people in lab-coats!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Mr.48 posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA I love how it proudly states thats its UNIVERSITY STUDIED. Not that it was found to be effective, or even safe, but it was studied! At a university! By people in lab-coats!

It could literally say "Will cause early death due to heart rupture" and army cats will still take it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
People wouldd probably start doubling up just to show how badass they are.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
We had gin in a water bottle, and my buddy accidentally mixed Jack3d into it for pre-workout. Gordon's gin, because they were out of Bombay Sapphire. Imagine that deep, hard swig for a moment.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I recently discovered crossfit and it's the most amazing thing ever. I really hate cardio so this is a decent replacement.

My cardio and endurance has gone through the roof since I started doing it 3 times a week. Only problem is I'm starting to lean out and putting back on weight has gotten even harder.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

psydude posted:

So in the Navy we run 1.5mi, and the dipshit who measured out the course for us measured it wrong *AFTER* we took the PRT. My coworker (Navy) who is skinny as gently caress and in excellent shape got like 9:45 (this cat usually runs it in 9 flat or less) and I got a 10:45, and I usually run it in about 10:15ish. Turns out we ran about 1.8mi not 1.5

Oops...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

I recently discovered crossfit and it's the most amazing thing ever. I really hate cardio so this is a decent replacement.

My cardio and endurance has gone through the roof since I started doing it 3 times a week. Only problem is I'm starting to lean out and putting back on weight has gotten even harder.

Combining cardio and muscular endurance/strength into a single workout is actually the most efficient way to burn fat, thus making crossfit the best way to not be a fatty.

Unfortunately, you have to already be in decent shape to start it in the first place.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Kaliber posted:

I wish I had a problem leaning out too much...

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

Unfortunately, you have to already be in decent shape to start it in the first place.

Well...poo poo. What's a good way to prepare? Wild sex with fat chicks?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

Well...poo poo. What's a good way to prepare? Wild sex with fat chicks?

Jack3d and foursomes with chicks who do yoga.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So I ripped one of my hernias back open. Not sure if it was in RI or down here at the gym, but hurts like hell. Spent 4 hours at the military hospital ER last night just so I could get some good pain pills until I can actually get in to see someone about a surgical consult. No lifting for me for a while :ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
800mg Motrin?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

800mg Motrin?

No. I did get some more of those, but doc onboard gave me that.

I got some 5/325 percocets.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Henry Meowlins posted:

No. I did get some more of those, but doc onboard gave me that.

I got some 5/325 percocets.

Change your socks and hydrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Pinuyasha posted:

I wish I had a problem leaning out too much...

I use to be a fatty. I ballooned from 155 of being skinny/fat (i did nothing but cardio and ate like a pig) to 200 lbs because I stopped doing cardio and just the b/s army half rear end PT + Germany with my diet of beer/doners.

Went from army 22% body fat down to 12% body fat within 8months. Completely changed my eating habits, life style, and was lifting weights 6 days a week. Only problem was I was actually going all out during morning PT and lifted in the evening so I was burning more calories than I was able to put in. It was only during my 45 days of PCS leave I was able to put on 25 lbs to where I was at 175ish. But since coming to Hawaii I went back down to 150. Now I'm struggling to keep myself at 165. I have to eat so drat much it makes me want to puke to sustain this weight.

Oh and crossfit isn't too bad. You kinda have to be in shape but not really. If you can't do the weight for the WOD just go as light as possible and build up from there. I got no shame in doing the same weight as the girls for squats and stuff because I can't get my form right with heavier weight.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 10, 2012