Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Rrail posted:

I like at the very end he just decided "I don't ever want a good job" and got his ears gauged.

I've met some highly paid IT guys and graphic designers with full sleeves and gauges. I think eventually some sort of body modification is going to be mandatory to get an office job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Good point, I forgot IT people and creative types can get away with that kind of stuff.

I do love that gettin' swole causes you to become more attractive "facially" as well. What an awesome process.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The awesome transformations thread in W&W is really pretty loving cool, you should look at it. Fat people getting unfat, skinny dudes getting ripped, it kinda owns.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

overdesigned posted:

The awesome transformations thread in W&W is really pretty loving cool, you should look at it. Fat people getting unfat, skinny dudes getting ripped, it kinda owns.

Holllly poo poo some of these are insane. I know some fatties who are always talking about how they'll never lose their weight, I'm gonna link them this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

005060524 posted:

That image always makes me laugh because the first time I ever saw it was when someone had photoshopped the order of the pictures in the opposite order so that he got fatter over time, and then pasted a video game logo over it, suggesting that he started playing and went from swole to fluff.

heh, found it in the "random pictures on imgur," thread

JohnDonnerjack
Feb 16, 2012
I loving love working out with sof now. My first deployment I managed to drop ten pounds, then put back on 20. That was pretty much eating 5 meals a day and little to no cardio though. This last one i did two a days for a month straight, went from 190 and bearmode to 180 and jacked. training for a triathlon and lifting weights for two hours a day is highly suggested. If anyone wants the workout let me know.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Whats up Triathlon buddy, hit me up with your workout, i'm all for comparing training sessions with other people.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Just got back from Washington on TDY.

Lived it up in a hotel and worked out that 4 days out of the 6 I was there in the lovely hotel gym. It only had free weights up to 50 lbs and it sucked rear end.

Was eating like crap. Hotel breakfast or cereal, sandwich for lunch, and went to a restaurant where I blew about $50+ a night eating 20 ounce steaks or something greasy and unhealthy with alot of booze. I left at 168 and came back at 161. So unhappy about that because I keep losing weight. Not sure if it's water weight that I'm losing or muscle mass.

Oh well, got ALC in Benning in about a week so for that entire month I'm going into beast mode. Non stop lifting after class and stuffing my face fill of protein shakes and disgusting chow hall food. Cutting out the crossfit for a month should help me bulk up some.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Kaliber posted:

Lived it up in a hotel and worked out that 4 days out of the 6 I was there in the lovely hotel gym. It only had free weights up to 50 lbs and it sucked rear end.

I am having this problem since I work out on my lunch break at the free gym our building has for us. The dumbbells only go to 50 and with things like dumbbell rows and overhead press I am stuck using 50's when I know I can use more. We have no barbells :(

Gonna talk to the guys who run it, see if we can get some heavier weights in since there are a few of us who have this problem. Unfortunately, the gym is designed for all the fat middle-aged women in the building who come in and slowly pedal on a stationary bike for half an hour while reading Redbook.

I might end up having to spring for a Planet Fitness membership, but I hate trying to lift or do cardio after work when all I want to do is sit down and play video games.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I might end up having to spring for a Planet Fitness membership, but I hate trying to lift or do cardio after work when all I want to do is sit down and play video games.

Is there a gym nearby? I've found that big office parks usually have a pay gym somewhere in the vicinity. You should also check with your healthcare provider, because they might knock some money off of your premium for going.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

Is there a gym nearby? I've found that big office parks usually have a pay gym somewhere in the vicinity. You should also check with your healthcare provider, because they might knock some money off of your premium for going.

I work in downtown Chicago so yeah there are gyms nearby but people who actually live in the Loop or River North are rich and so consequently the gyms in the area are literally the same cost per month as leasing a Mercedes. And I am using Tricare Reserve Select as my insurance :(

Planet Fitness just opened up like two blocks from my house and it is reasonably priced, I'll probably just have to adjust my attitude with respect to working out after work (or before... lol)

VVV - There is a YMCA. I'll check it out, thanks for the tip! And yeah, TRS is the way to go for family coverage. Saves me 1500 a year in premiums over my work's BC/BS, and prescription co-pays are much lower too.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess TRS is a pretty good deal for family coverage, especially since it's a PPO. I just use my work healthcare because it's practically free and I never get sick.

Is there a YMCA around? I'm pretty sure they offer either a huge discount or even free membership to military members.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Defleshed posted:

I am having this problem since I work out on my lunch break at the free gym our building has for us. The dumbbells only go to 50 and with things like dumbbell rows and overhead press I am stuck using 50's when I know I can use more. We have no barbells :(

Gonna talk to the guys who run it, see if we can get some heavier weights in since there are a few of us who have this problem. Unfortunately, the gym is designed for all the fat middle-aged women in the building who come in and slowly pedal on a stationary bike for half an hour while reading Redbook.

Planet fitness? The gym that kicks you out when you grunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

If some fat gym manager kicks me out for grunting, I would be so pissed.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Kaliber posted:

haha I had no idea about this. I haven't much looked into them, just noticed it opened really close by and is reasonable compared to other gym memberships in the area. I'm not much of a grunter/screamer and in fact am kind of annoyed by it so this is actually not much of a minus to me!

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaliber posted:

Dude that is awesome. I mean the grunting thing is a little over the top, obviously if it was actually how Julian described it it's not that big of a deal, but I am really tired of hearing meathead retards yell and scream while lifting.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

Dude that is awesome. I mean the grunting thing is a little over the top, obviously if it was actually how Julian described it it's not that big of a deal, but I am really tired of hearing meathead retards yell and scream while lifting.

I'm sort of confused by the "lunk alarm" concept. I mean I get that they don't want noise but it's not like it's super intimidating or something... how much of a pussy are you if you're actually intimidated by that sort of thing, you know?

Also I'm all for fatties getting their gym on but PF policies look almost like they are encouraging continued half-assed efforts at fitness. A little judgment is a good thing...

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Any gym with a "no deadlifting" sign is not a gym I want to go to :colbert:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A few people have talked about cutting back on drinking. I realize this will be about as popular as banning Affliction shirts from the PX, but is there any interest in doing a GiP month long sobriety challenge?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

psydude posted:

A few people have talked about cutting back on drinking. I realize this will be about as popular as banning Affliction shirts from the PX, but is there any interest in doing a GiP month long sobriety challenge?

People will die from the withdrawal alone...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

I'd say yes if I thought I had even a smidgen of a chance of not drinking for 30 straight days :smith:

If you mean just "stay sober" for 30 days, I can do that without even trying. I very rarely get rip-roaring drunk. But I absolutely must have my 2-4 evening beers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I'd say yes if I thought I had even a smidgen of a chance of not drinking for 30 straight days :smith:

If you mean just "stay sober" for 30 days, I can do that without even trying. I very rarely get rip-roaring drunk. But I absolutely must have my 2-4 evening beers.

I was thinking no more than two beers a week, since avoiding alcohol altogether is nearly impossible.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

I'm down but give me a week or two to binge first.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

psydude posted:

So you want to watch people spiral into insanity?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

old dog child posted:

People will die from the withdrawal alone...

No kidding. This will happen. Anyone have a chart that lists the warning signs of detoxing?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Casualty posted:

I'm down but give me a week or two to binge first.

What he said.

I took a solid 3 weeks off or so. Aside from drinking with friends when I was at home. Couldn't make it a month.

Can we make the rule "no solo day drinking" ?

Which is what I'm about to do. :o:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I actually have quit drinking. After reading about it's absolutely awful effects on gains, I was like "welp, no more of that".

It turns out that in a fight between my vanity and my tendency towards substance abuse/battle against boredom, my vanity is actually stronger.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But Arnold would chug booze post workout and look at him.

:colbert:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dude his bicep looks absolutely disgusting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ridiculously hot girl working out in the free weights section = my workout was approximately 300% more intense. Kind of like when this one particular hot chick used to run on the treadmill next to me in college I always somehow managed to get in an extra 2 miles.

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
The Planet Fitness in my home town had "Pizza Nights" every week after they opened.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
if i wasnt on TDY I'd totally not drink

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mister Man posted:

The Planet Fitness in my home town had "Pizza Nights" every week after they opened.

Pretty sure this is a thing at all of the PF's. They're pretty horrendous in terms of encouraging people to work out and better themselves. From my limited experience with them, I'd say they're more for the people that are comfortable with hunching over a treadmill for a half-hour at a moderate walk and calling that a workout.

I'm not a "lunk" but when I'm doing deadlifts and power lifts, I definitely drop the weights as its pretty difficult not to.

The gym I go to now has a pretty active raquetball club and they're always sitting there at night drinking beer and eating pizza in between their games. Pretty frustrating having to smell that poo poo when you're trying to work out.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psydude posted:

Let us take each other on in this challenge, and let us create a sobriety challenge pool for the victor.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rrail posted:

Let us take each other on in this challenge, and let us create a sobriety challenge pool for the victor.

Depends - are you still in Iraq? I feel like that would give you an unfair advantage.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psydude posted:

Depends - are you still in Iraq? I feel like that would give you an unfair advantage.

Why? Booze is cheaper and more easily obtainable here than back home. I'm also way more bored. If anything it gives you an advantage.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well I drank a bunch of Guinness tonight, so I'm sure tomorrow's hangover is going to make me more than happy to accept your challenge.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
IT'S ON BITCHES. TIME FOR A GOOD OLD FASHIONED BATTLE ROYALE. WINNER TAKES ALL, FIRST LOSER HAS TO KILL HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I, uh, I don't want to do that.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok then just a regular challenge with a little shaming or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, I'm in. We'll need to establish some terms, I suppose.