Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Hey, listen the gently caress up. This is a super high-effort post that will be briefed only once before we start our 12 mile release run. Before I begin I want to do a real quick PCI of everyone's reflective belt.

Okay, great. If you're in the military and are active duty or over the grade of E6 in the reserves/national guard you are most likely expected to pass your PT test twice a year (if you're under the grade of E6 in the reserves/national guard we want you to try really hard to pass, mmkay?).

Some of you are super studs looking to get MAXIMUM GAINS to get your PT score to 350 (if you're in the Army, BTW, the extended scale no longer exists). Some of you are like me and think PT tests are absolutely retarded and would like to strive for the real Army minimum of 270 and get on with your life (I have no idea what the standard is in other branches, sorry). Maybe you celebrated passing your last PT test 4 months ago with 52 straight days of drinking and pizza and need to get your rear end back in shape for your next one. Or maybe you're about to make the terrible decision to join the military and need to recover from your 52 straight days of drinking and pizza in order to actually sign your paperwork.

But didn't we already have a thread for this before?

HAHA, VERY FUNNY SARNT. MAYBE YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF ARCHIVES? HOW ABOUT YOU DO SOME loving PUSHUPS TO JAR YOUR MEMORY. OH, AND SHAVE YOUR loving SIDEBURNS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT. AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A PLAN FOR DEALING WITH THOSE SLEEVES UP THERE, MISSY. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

Commander's Intent
My intent is that this thread:
(1) Should contain general discourse on military-oriented workouts.
(2) Should also contain information for people struggling to pass their PT test or seeking to enlist in the military.
(3) Contain discussion of fitness test revisions.
(4) Offer advice to help condition individuals preparing to mobilize ISO OEF.
(5) Will contain the minimum amount of bitching necessary to facilitate humorous discussion.

-------

STARTING CONTENT!

I've been doing some pretty intense power-lifting (squats, DLs, DB bench/incline/military press) over the past 3 months along with non-running cardio. I don't mind running, but it really just takes up too much time at this point in my life (I only do long runs about once a week now). For those of you in this routine, what kind of trainup do you do for your PT test (applies mostly to Army and Navy guys, I suppose)? I've got one in April, so I'm about two months out at the moment.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

maybe if officers worried less about PT and more about actually knowing their jobs or something we wouldnt have lost 2 wars the past decade

Or maybe if our Army loved marathons as much as the officer corps does we would finally be able to defeat the Taliban?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think if I got a 260 I'd be a PT god in my company. Which is bad because I'd still be a black sheep as far as officers are concerned, especially since my marathon time isn't below 3 hours.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can't do morning gym. I've tried to force myself over the years and have really just found that my motivation is never there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Red87 posted:

Jack3d is some badass stuff, but its getting a bit hard to find. AAFES pulled it and a bunch of other stuff (redline, OxyElite and mored) and refuses to sell it because the DoD is investigating a chemical in them (DMAA) that they think may have caused a couple soldiers to die. It was on the front page of Stars & Stripes last week. I have to get it through Amazon now

You can still get it at The Vitamin Shoppe.

I used it for a while, and frankly that poo poo was ridiculous. But yeah, you can't do cardio on it. I used to do pretty intense runs every time I worked out, but this obviously didn't work when I was taking Jack3d. My run time took a hit as a result.

I might start taking it again during my 4 month post-AFPT workout and then stop it for my 2 month APT trainup.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Henry Meowlins posted:

I'm not sure you're in the right forum with that kind of advice.

Also, went to get a quick lift in before work. Some fucker was doing deadlifts with the bumper plates for over 45 loving minutes when I left the gym. I just wanted to crank out a few quick lifts. I ended up using a squat rack when one came clear. I mean, I'm all fine for you taking your time, but when you're spending the majority of your time loving looking in the mirror and walking around, gently caress off.

Oh man I hate that poo poo. On the topic of wasting time, the best workout partners I've had knew how to converse while putting on plates or inbetween sets rather than watching to talk about whatever for 5 minutes after the weight was racked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

I can pass my PT test, but I still look like poo poo in uniform due to terrible fat distribution. 135lbs at 5'6 and my stomach still sticks out farther than my chest. gently caress!

It makes me hate the world when everyone around me is eating 2 slices of cake, 4 cookies, and ice cream for lunch and dinner while downing it with chocolate milk, and those bastards are still toothpicks, while I haven't touched the dessert section in 7 months. The most swole guys usually average 4 cookies per meal.

Tell me more about this back alley doctor...
These are the same types of people who get injured or busy and can't workout anymore and then gain 60 pounds because they don't change their eating habits.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doing a low-carb diet really just saps all of my energy. However, I hate pasta and rice so I get most of my daily carbohydrate intake from my lunch sandwich and my dinner beer.

e: The W&W ketogenic diet is dangerous and dumb. That poo poo puts way too much of a strain on your liver.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 7, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fatties gonna fat, dude. You're not their first line, so don't stress over it and just bring your own poo poo I guess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

I always found it funny how the higher ups promote fitness and health, yet stock the dining halls with utter trash. Maybe it's some kind of clever tactic to weed out stupid people by fattening them up and destroying their career with a single PT failure. Easier than waiting for all the dumbasses to get a DUI or sexual assault I suppose.

It's at least entertaining to me seeing a bunch of 18-21 year olds getting sick, injured, and broken around here.

It's because it's cheaper to feed people terrible food. It's the same reason why low-income people have weight control issues: foods with trans fat, sodium, and processed sugars will keep longer and are, on the whole, much cheaper to produce, transport, and store.

The military could probably save a ton of money in the long run just in healthcare costs by increasing BAS and teaching soldiers how to cook.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

My supervisor got gout a while ago at the ripe old age of 26. Getting old sure does suck. Disqualified from all flying jobs now, and has to get a waiver for his current one. He was planning to commission as a Navigator too.

The moral of the story here, folks, is to stick to wine until your enlistment is up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't get BAS and there's no kitchen in the barracks. Your move, LT.

Then put kitchenettes in the barracks and start giving junior enlisted BAS, I don't care.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Actually, issuing out food stamps instead of BAS would probably be more effective.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

Edit: Hell I'd probably just ask psydude to marry me. Not like he can do any better.

I'd be the most faithful provider.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's probably a niacin flush. I got that when I was using Jack3d, too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man I'll tell you what: after observing the run portion of a makeup PT test this past weekend where 14 took it and only 5 people pass, it's really motivated me to never wind up like that.

Our course is only about 1.8 miles long, by the way.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

I swear every reserve track is +/- a quarter mile.

It's gonna be great when we take our next one at AP Hill in two months and everyone suddenly has to run a full two miles.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shyguy posted:

Man, I :siren:HATE:siren: running but I feel like at least on the AF side you have to really try to not pass the run. Minimum for 20-somethings is 1.5 miles in around 13:37. People somehow fail it.

22 years old in the Army is 16:36. That's a light jog, and yet someone people still manage to fail as well.

The biggest thing I hate about running is that cardiovascular strength/endurance fades incredibly fast. If you take two weeks of from lifting, you can spring right back into it after a few days of trainup where you'll be a little sore. Take two weeks of from running though and hoooooly crap.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

I recently discovered crossfit and it's the most amazing thing ever. I really hate cardio so this is a decent replacement.

My cardio and endurance has gone through the roof since I started doing it 3 times a week. Only problem is I'm starting to lean out and putting back on weight has gotten even harder.

Combining cardio and muscular endurance/strength into a single workout is actually the most efficient way to burn fat, thus making crossfit the best way to not be a fatty.

Unfortunately, you have to already be in decent shape to start it in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

Well...poo poo. What's a good way to prepare? Wild sex with fat chicks?

Jack3d and foursomes with chicks who do yoga.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ugh. I've really been lacking in motivation for maybe the past year and a half. Yeah I worked out and whatnot, but the intensity and desire for improvement just wasn't ever there. I wasn't depressed or anything, just complacent and doing the minimum necessary to get by - pass the APFT and not be a fatass.

Then last weekend and all through this past week I kind of had an epiphany. I guess it all started when I was observing the end of a makeup APFT and watched several soldiers in their early to mid 20s (the same age as myself) struggle, and in some cases fail, to complete a two mile run that wasn't even two miles long. Then I started to notice the rest of the world around me: people who are morbidly obese, people in their 30s and 40s who are on high blood pressure medication, people getting sick all of the time, people getting injured from normal day to day activities, people who struggle walking up a flight of stairs, and my former roommate who's gained probably 40 pounds since we graduated. There's a lot of these people in this country, apparently, and I realized that I never want to be one of them.

I've started running again. And not because I want to improve my 2 4 mile run time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christoff posted:

It's so hard to get the motivation to lift after 12 hour shifts.

They sell jack3d at the NEX?

No but really was Jack3d and oxyelite really banned for Military personnel? I never got an "official" email nor did we have some mandatory powerpoint training about it. I've just heard it word of mouth.

In the Army, supplements are banned during training as of June of last year. AAFES removed it from its stock, but you can still buy it off-post. There's not an actual "ban" on it; they've just made it slightly harder to get.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You just need to party so hard one night that the resulting hangover slingshots you into a period of sobriety.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My friend had success quitting by increasing the amount of time he spent at the gym each week so he could trick himself into more easily correlating not smoking to being healthier. This helped him keep up his motivation through the 3 week and 3 month marks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

old dog child posted:

My greatest enemy is boredom.
This is what makes quitting drinking a challenge. I have to find ways to entertain myself on weeknights other than sitting on the couch and watching TV.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just remembered the secret to running: don't be a pussy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Sad part is, sometimes it really is just making yourself uncomfortable. I hate saying that since I've never really given thought to running and just turn off my brain (lol officers) and run. Unfortunatly I'm now dealing with a good soldier about to get put out because they suck at pt and have failed 2 in a row. He just can't push himself to just pass. He's not fat or injured in any way, he just can't push himself to the minimum, literally.

I remember having mono during my freshman year of college. To give you an idea of how bad I had it, I lost 15 pounds in just a week and a half (the symptoms lasted about 2 months) and at one point had a fever so high that I actually hallucinated that I was a city. I was on profile, but the PMS was an insane, emotionless, terrifying robot (that's another story for another thread) and flat out told me that if I didn't pass the APFT, then tough poo poo, I was out. I could run about 1.5 miles (slowly) and then vomit uncontrollably before cramping up and having to walk. A week before the mandatory cutoff date for my scholarship, I managed to pass by about 5 seconds. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever done in my life: I still threw up about three times, but managed to keep running during it.

I think sometimes all it takes is a little tenacity. Unfortunately I'm not sure if you can instill that in someone.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

The main risks of steroids even cycled properly is your muscles growing faster than your joints/connective tissue. Your muscles could handle more, but your joints/connective tissue take much longer than that for it the develop enough to handle that weight. Imagine the pain when you bench 400lbs but your tendons can only handle 150lbs.

Is that why my knees hurt? I've moved my squat rep weight up 50 pounds in the past 2 weeks and started doing long runs again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

On the front near the top.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

Your knees probably hurt because you're doing the squats wrong and using your knees to lift it. It's not possible to go up in squat by 50lbs in 2 weeks unless you're doing it wrong. You probably are and should really look it up before you blow out a knee.

You won't have a problem with muscles outgrowing tendon/ligament rate without drugs. Or let's say you do a lot of isolation exercises that work certain tendons, but not others, then you do a compound lift that requires the use of tendons you never work out. Recipe for a tear. So is doing an exercise really wrong and stupid. Always look up proper form before you get macho and go heavy.

I'm familiar with proper squat technique. These aren't really gains, they're more like re-gains. I used to squat about 350, stopped for a while, and started back up again. It's a lot quicker to recover strength you've already had.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rrail posted:

Yah this isn't DoD they don't let the servant-class talk to or interact with the Americans.

Seriously there is a really weird dynamic. If they bump into you they apologize profusely. Even if they are ahead of you in line at chow they will get out of your way. I don't know how to explain it.

Glad to see the proles know their place. :chord: If they're looking for work after their contract expires, I just so happen to have a diamond mine I am interested in opening.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Gonna do a 5 mile run hopped up on Jack3d. Wish me luck bros.

Hey, would you mind throwing me in whatever the cop version of your DD-93 is before you go?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

overdesigned posted:

Guys I have to go run today, today is a run day.

I loving hate running, I hate it so much, I wish I could just not have to run and magically be good at it.

:(

You know who I loving hate? People who can do just that - sit on their rear end for 6 months drinking and smoking and then still run a 13 flat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Is this for a PT test or for exercise? If its just for exercise, and you hate it, don't do it. I hated running all my childhood, so I swam and biked instead. When I had to take PT tests in school, my run was still good because I built up my cardio with the other stuff.

I think this really only works for shorter distances. The only way I've found that I can get faster is by running - even when I'm doing 30 minutes of elliptical or stairs along with my usual lifting workout, the only thing that improves my 2 mile time is a mixture of long distance runs (3+ miles) and 400 meter repeats. This might be due to the shift that occurs between the 1.5-2 mile range where your body transitions to pure aerobic glycolosis.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 20, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

To be fair, its pretty difficult to get a good aerobic workout from an elliptical. And most people cheat on stairmasters.

I do no hands like a boss.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rrail posted:

I like at the very end he just decided "I don't ever want a good job" and got his ears gauged.

I've met some highly paid IT guys and graphic designers with full sleeves and gauges. I think eventually some sort of body modification is going to be mandatory to get an office job.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I might end up having to spring for a Planet Fitness membership, but I hate trying to lift or do cardio after work when all I want to do is sit down and play video games.

Is there a gym nearby? I've found that big office parks usually have a pay gym somewhere in the vicinity. You should also check with your healthcare provider, because they might knock some money off of your premium for going.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess TRS is a pretty good deal for family coverage, especially since it's a PPO. I just use my work healthcare because it's practically free and I never get sick.

Is there a YMCA around? I'm pretty sure they offer either a huge discount or even free membership to military members.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A few people have talked about cutting back on drinking. I realize this will be about as popular as banning Affliction shirts from the PX, but is there any interest in doing a GiP month long sobriety challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I'd say yes if I thought I had even a smidgen of a chance of not drinking for 30 straight days :smith:

If you mean just "stay sober" for 30 days, I can do that without even trying. I very rarely get rip-roaring drunk. But I absolutely must have my 2-4 evening beers.

I was thinking no more than two beers a week, since avoiding alcohol altogether is nearly impossible.