Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Stringent posted:

Weird, I must have uploaded the photo through the iPhone app. Here's the photo again:

What I've done so far is put cuts in the bark above three of the dormant buds down below. I'd love to just go ahead and air layer it, but I don't want the bottom half to die when I cut the top off so I was hoping to get some lower branch growth in first.

oh okay that's definitely grafted so an air layer might not be a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

I read through this thread in a couple of days and wanted to say it was delightful to see some of the trees grow over the 4 or 5 years of thread time.

Question for the thread:
Iím getting a house later this year in the southeast San Francisco Bay Area and will likely live there for about 5 years before moving to a final house. I absolutely love Japanese Maples (had one growing up that my dad took with us when we moved around kindergarten time for me) and would want to do something with them down the road after Iíve goofed up 100+ cheap trees. Would my best bet be to buy like 8-10 and throw them in the ground for 5 years until I move again?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

The North Tower posted:

I read through this thread in a couple of days and wanted to say it was delightful to see some of the trees grow over the 4 or 5 years of thread time.

Question for the thread:
Iím getting a house later this year in the southeast San Francisco Bay Area and will likely live there for about 5 years before moving to a final house. I absolutely love Japanese Maples (had one growing up that my dad took with us when we moved around kindergarten time for me) and would want to do something with them down the road after Iíve goofed up 100+ cheap trees. Would my best bet be to buy like 8-10 and throw them in the ground for 5 years until I move again?

fuckin, go nuts: https://mendocinomaples.com/ Note that approriate species for bonsai aren't exactly the cheapest so 100 is kind of a crazy number, just grab some dwarfs and do your best.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

The internet is the universal sewer.

Cutting question. I want to grow some cuttings from what I think is a plum tree in the neighborhood. The tree has these runners growing at the base, and I was wondering if I could take cuttings from there rather than from the branches and have it come out ok. Here are some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about in case I've got the terms wrong.

Here's the tree:

Here are where the runners are coming up:

And here's a closeup of the flower if that helps identify the type of tree?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

I'm no ornamental Prunus expert (yet...) but I would have thought that the runners growing up from the base are from the root stock of the tree: so don't use them!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

RickRogers posted:

I'm no ornamental Prunus expert (yet...) but I would have thought that the runners growing up from the base are from the root stock of the tree: so don't use them!

Cool, thanks.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Stringent posted:

Cool, thanks.

in my experience itís never worth it to start a tree like that. At best, it will take you a loooong time and you probably wonít get the aesthetic/productive result youíd ultimately want. At worst itíll die, at very worst after youíve sunk enough time and money into the affair to be embittered about it

Not a bad time to look into plum saplings tho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

in my experience itís never worth it to start a tree like that. At best, it will take you a loooong time and you probably wonít get the aesthetic/productive result youíd ultimately want. At worst itíll die, at very worst after youíve sunk enough time and money into the affair to be embittered about it

Not a bad time to look into plum saplings tho

Appreciate the advice, but what I'm trying to do is start a collection of cuttings from various trees in the neighborhood that I know/like, so it's more for sentimental value than ornamental.

Might still be a dumb idea, I'll take your advice to heart and not sink any money into it beyond basic materials.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

D. HALL

Stringent posted:

Appreciate the advice, but what I'm trying to do is start a collection of cuttings from various trees in the neighborhood that I know/like, so it's more for sentimental value than ornamental.

Ohhh I do the same thing

I have a jacaranda air layer that is clinging to life somehow

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Stringent posted:

Might still be a dumb idea, I'll take your advice to heart and not sink any money into it beyond basic materials.

Sounds fun! I have a bunch of trees in our garden that I am taking cuttings from, for when we move in a couple of years.
Just get some root hormone powder, take cuttings from the crown and follow the normal procedures.

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Stringent posted:

oh rad, I assumed you were planning to make a bonsai out of it any time in the next ~10 years

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Stringent posted:

And here's a closeup of the flower if that helps identify the type of tree?

The striations on the trunk seem to suggest this is a flowering cherry and not plum, if that helps. Also yeah looks like a graft on the trunk as someone else mentioned.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

YOU CAN STOMP US!

YOU CAN SQUASH US!

BUT YOU'LL NEVER EVER STOP US!

Heads up UK goons, I was doing some early tree shopping and a lot of online shops have straight up stopped selling to the UK due to Brexit, even places with .co.uk websites.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

D. HALL

Been having incredibly humid here lately and my ficus has been taking advantage of it

Got a bit of an escape artist here too

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You mentioned you might be doing a bonsai chilli plant a while back. Did you get around to it, I was interested in the process

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

D. HALL

NPR Journalizard posted:

You mentioned you might be doing a bonsai chilli plant a while back. Did you get around to it, I was interested in the process

Still all seedings at the moment

Had some super hot weather that nuked my propagator, of the ten seeds 3 remain, I'm waiting till the are larger to put in a bigger planter

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Makes sense, cheers

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

D. HALL

Many more aerial roots this morning

It's going wild

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

itís that time of the year again!

are there some good easily findable commercial juniper varieties that people recommend?

Iíve got a small procumbens nana broom style I started last year that Iím pleased with and Iíve got two ďSea GreenĒ chinensis that I grabbed over the summer without thinking and frankly theyíve got this terribly lanky adult foliage right now and I have no idea what to really do with either of them

Anyway, I saw some really striking looking blue-foliaged Parsonii the other day but bothered to read up on them more first and found that people didnít really recommend them on account of foliage sparseness. Not wanting to recreate the same mistakes from the past Iíve passed on them, but they are quite pretty all covered in blue berries with their trunks all pre-bent and visibly gnarly.

Right now Iím hoping to grab something blue point-derived and compact, and a creeping form would be cool too. I havenít seen any procumbens Iíve liked yet, but I may grab another cheap one to do something different with if I chance upon it.

Iíd like to really try some cascade and twin trunk stuff (Iíve kinda let my broom style choose its own path and been pleased with the result, so I want to take these in the opposite direction and really mess with them)

on the picea front, my trees from last year are looking great, not much to do stylingwise this season except maintenance and holding the line. Saw some cool posts about nidiformis so I might take one of them home before they stop selling them (I didnít see them at all last year). I have a plan to make a weird semi-cascade with the right conica (a lot of them are formed from two trunks making big lobes, I want to find one thatís very hooked and very lobe-y, chop off the lower lobe and put the tree on its side....anyway). Beyond that Iím pretty spruced out at the moment. I canít really get into the bigger trees that I want because how the gently caress am I going to move from this rental with all of my plants as it is?

otherwise, it might be cool to get my hands on a pine or larch or whatever if I find one

Maybe deciduous trees?

As far as azaleas go, Iíve currently got a shape set for my two. Gonna water them today or tomorrow and do some branch refinement in the next week before their spring foliage really starts to fill in. Also probably slip pot them. They need trunk fattening. My plan for 2021 is to get two similar trees, ideally in different colors, and try cascading one and going tall and ďflower towerĒ with the other

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

D. HALL

A fusion of a bought has been successful

A little bit of wire scarring , but it should fade quickly

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

A fusion of a bought has been successful

A little bit of wire scarring , but it should fade quickly

very nice! youíll be making ridiculously choady pyramid trident maples out of wire armature + 200 saplings Doug Philips-style in no time!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I picked up a castaway at work. Should I pot it regular and let it recover this year or start pruning it back while it's still unpotted?

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

I went to my local Home Depot with the intent of raiding their new shipment of azaleas and junipers and wound up with exactly one azalea

and this remarkably photogenic little bastard instead (green Japanese maple)

this guy was both the shortest and the best ramified of the bunch, and Iím honestly super happy with the shape and branch pattern itís already taken.

This is a good looking little tree, so good looking, in fact, that one of the other people in line wouldnít stop commenting on it.

Iíd like to refine and mature this existing shape further- which leads me to the trunk, itís both too tall and too thin, and also too straight and vertical, but you probably already knew that.

Treeís about 3í right now, maybe a smidge shorter. Should my next steps be to focus on shortening the trunk and maybe air layering it down down the road (ie, bringing the branches and canopy down closer to the ground), or keeping it this height and working with the existing trunkóthickening the trunk and slowly widening the canopy?

Am I being too precious about the existing branches? Should my #1 priority be to thicken the trunk and to sacrifice everything on it right now? Iíd like to save as many of them as possible if I can. Not really looking to emulate the big fat trident look. But if that trunk were either 40-50% shorter or the tree were a more desirable proportion Iíd be thrilled with it and ready to throw it in a pot.

Also- anybody here have experience with sand cherries?

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ok Comboomer
Oct 20, 2007

upon further study, I think Iím leaning in the ďair layer it in a pot to bring the trunk height down a bitĒ direction.

Does the cambium layer need to be removed in order to successfully do this? The trunk is quite visibly green. Could I just put the pot+soil around it now without any cutting or hormone powder and get it to start throwing out good roots?

And what can I do to preserve the original roots and trunk if I want to try to get two trees out of this? From what Iíve read, I should be aiming to do the layering ASAP so that I can shoot for an Aug-Sept. separation. Iím assuming I wonít get any fresh branches coming out of the original lower trunk before winter. Just hold onto the stump and hope for the best come spring 2022?

Ok Comboomer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 9, 2021