Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is that bottom left area the defining branch for you? Really awesome tree. Can we see a pic from above? What are your longterm plans for it?

Yes! Let me take pictures tomorrow. I definitely plan on keeping the lower left area, I see ing a really nice sub trunk one of these days. At this point I'm treating it like (really awesome) field grown stock. Next year I'm going to repot it into something a bit larger (like a bathtub), start grafting surface roots to improve the nebari, and start scoring the edges of the wounds so that I can close them up. Finish that off with some thread grafts to start building primary branching, and we should have a good start!

It's nothing I haven't done before, but yeah, on a very large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Crocoduck posted:

New tree. Very happy.

Chonky boy.

I know I say this a lot, but

Hubis posted:

thicc

E: also I had never thought to use one of those shallow barrel liners as a training pot! I may have to try that when something outgrows my anderson flats

EE: also what do you mean by scoring the edges of the wounds? I mean, I can kind of gather, but weirdly I'd never seen reference to that before. It certainly makes intuitive sense to me. Is this something with specific technique/species/timing considerations?

EEE: also, I was thinking I would try some root grafts on that big air-layer I posted earlier, so please post any action shots of that if you can when you get around to it.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 21, 2020

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Hubis posted:

E: also I had never thought to use one of those shallow barrel liners as a training pot! I may have to try that when something outgrows my anderson flats

EE: also what do you mean by scoring the edges of the wounds? I mean, I can kind of gather, but weirdly I'd never seen reference to that before. It certainly makes intuitive sense to me. Is this something with specific technique/species/timing considerations?

EEE: also, I was thinking I would try some root grafts on that big air-layer I posted earlier, so please post any action shots of that if you can when you get around to it.

You literally just take a knife and cut into the callous as is rolls over the edge, you do this repeatedly through the growing season, and it stimulates the critter into making more living tissue to roll over the wound.

Root grafts are life - I'll definitely post some pictures in the spring. I keep meaning to videotape what I'm doing these days but I don't really know how to make a good youtube. They're an important first step before doing the ebihara thing. This is going to be my reference video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szc_kXuhPoY

Also I look like trash because I have not had a haircut since March. I keep wanting to shave it off but apparently my fiancee likes the castaway island mullet look better than the bald dude look.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Crocoduck posted:

You literally just take a knife and cut into the callous as is rolls over the edge, you do this repeatedly through the growing season, and it stimulates the critter into making more living tissue to roll over the wound.

Awesome, thanks! Do you do anything to preserve the hardwood while you wait for it to heal? I've been wondering about wound paste on old wounds, or lime sulfur, but I am not sure if it would interfere with the healing process.

Crocoduck posted:

Root grafts are life - I'll definitely post some pictures in the spring. I keep meaning to videotape what I'm doing these days but I don't really know how to make a good youtube. They're an important first step before doing the ebihara thing. This is going to be my reference video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szc_kXuhPoY

This is great. What is the white stuff he is painting onto the flare at around 1:30?

Crocoduck posted:

Also I look like trash because I have not had a haircut since March. I keep wanting to shave it off but apparently my fiancee likes the castaway island mullet look better than the bald dude look.

Dude I looked into the mirror in August and for a moment Nigel Saunders stared back.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

quote:

Awesome, thanks! Do you do anything to preserve the hardwood while you wait for it to heal? I've been wondering about wound paste on old wounds, or lime sulfur, but I am not sure if it would interfere with the healing process.

Yes! When I've seen maples in development in Japan they cover the wounds with cut paste. eg: https://i.imgur.com/wg3yvOu.jpg

quote:

This is great. What is the white stuff he is painting onto the flare at around 1:30?

rooting hormone and water!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
For into a nice groove/mania today and figured I would get through some bonsai

:pseudo:

I've made space on my garden for a bonsai shelf/ low table, this way I'll pass by them every morning and more easily water them.

They won't be all scattered round the garden too

The engineer in me wants to set up a gravity fed ,drip irrigation system. And the pessimist in me is worried about pestilence

I've repotted a bunch of my little trees and played a little planter hot potato

I'm happy where everyone has ended up and that there was something of a soil refresh

Here's the crew as it stands, nothing spectacular , I just like tiny trees that are cute and have personality

And my favourite little guy

My ficus

Moved him to a new pot because I was starting to worry about drainage in his old one, the smell when I took him out told me it was the right decision.

Currently in traction to keep his newly exposed roots in soil and allow them to harden somewhat as I remove soil in the coming weeks/month

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Crocoduck posted:

Yes! When I've seen maples in development in Japan they cover the wounds with cut paste. eg: https://i.imgur.com/wg3yvOu.jpg

Ok, makes sense. I wasn't sure if there were species-specific differences there -- I know Peter Chan always mentions pruning maples long and then cleaning up later to prevent losing branches to dieback, so I wasn't sure if there was something like maples healing better by letting them dry out.

Does Maple take carving/jin well, or does it it not preserve well? I'm just thinking about options down the road.

Crocoduck posted:

rooting hormone and water!

Oh, duh.

Do you use anything fancy (I've got a bottle of Clone-X I got for trying to propagate things) or does any garden variety hormone powder work?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jestery posted:

For into a nice groove/mania today and figured I would get through some bonsai

:pseudo:

I've made space on my garden for a bonsai shelf/ low table, this way I'll pass by them every morning and more easily water them.

They won't be all scattered round the garden too

The engineer in me wants to set up a gravity fed ,drip irrigation system. And the pessimist in me is worried about pestilence

I've repotted a bunch of my little trees and played a little planter hot potato

I'm happy where everyone has ended up and that there was something of a soil refresh

Here's the crew as it stands, nothing spectacular , I just like tiny trees that are cute and have personality

And my favourite little guy

My ficus

Moved him to a new pot because I was starting to worry about drainage in his old one, the smell when I took him out told me it was the right decision.

Currently in traction to keep his newly exposed roots in soil and allow them to harden somewhat as I remove soil in the coming weeks/month

Oh, the moist towel there to preserve humidity is a good idea! I may have to give that a try.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Hubis posted:

Does Maple take carving/jin well, or does it it not preserve well? I'm just thinking about options down the road.

Maple and most deciduous will rot, they're almost never shown with deadwood. I have an Amur maple which is an exception because deadwood near the nebari is a species characteristic.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Here's what the Amur deadwood looks like, I honestly wish it wasn't there because it stresses me out so much. You can see it growing roots down past the dead part so my hope is it eventually heals over at least partway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Has anyone here heard of any non true cedar bonsai? What about Madrone? The bark is so striking but the leaves might be too big. I feel like you could do an amazing root over rock to replicate a natural cliffside ocean environment but they're so friggen hard to transplant

Hubis
May 18, 2003

fuzzy_logic posted:

Maple and most deciduous will rot, they're almost never shown with deadwood. I have an Amur maple which is an exception because deadwood near the nebari is a species characteristic.

awesome, thanks for the feedback. That kind of confirms my intuition.

e: then again, :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vHaqu9UDw

(Definitely don't have the guts to try it on anything I've got, though)
((yet))

Hubis fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 23, 2020

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Hubis posted:

awesome, thanks for the feedback. That kind of confirms my intuition.

e: then again, :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vHaqu9UDw

(Definitely don't have the guts to try it on anything I've got, though)
((yet))

I'm glad the cinematographer from WWE has been able to find work in the pandemic ....

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

:3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jestery posted:

Idk what I’m looking at. Some new foliage? On a tree of some sort?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Very much so

I did a heavy trim a week ago and I'm getting tiny new leaves

Hubis
May 18, 2003

So I saw this video a while back and meant to share it but forgot. It's really good basic info from Bjorn (who I feel like has awesome videos that aren't necess too technical, but still felt a little intimidating to me as a beginner).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHIlYhbGP_8

I had already picked up a Pyracantha and Gardenia, and just so happened to have gotten a Camellia as well so it was very opportune. Great watch for anyone maybe looking for advice on beginner plants.

Jestery posted:

Very much so

I did a heavy trim a week ago and I'm getting tiny new leaves

I know the feel. First time I did a defoliation on my ficus I was pretty :ohdear: but the thing came back like an absolute monster. I still don't think I have the guts to do a heavy defoliation on my gardenia like in that video above. Maybe once spring comes around I'll feel a little more confident.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I know Peter Chan gets a mixed reception here but he’s going all pro-ice in this latest vid

https://youtu.be/aE5EMYbmD78

some of these (esp the bigger literati) come out legit gorgeous

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I know Peter Chan gets a mixed reception here but he’s going all pro-ice in this latest vid

I really don't agree with you, or that these came out particularly nice. For material like this I'd say your best bet is laying the groundwork to create a nice pre bonsai later on down the line. The bird is nice though.

What is pro-ice?

Edit: Is there another image hosting service besides imgur? That site is for poo poo these days. I miss waffleimages.

Crocoduck fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 2, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

I really don't agree with you, or that these came out particularly nice. For material like this I'd say your best bet is laying the groundwork to create a nice pre bonsai later on down the line. The bird is nice though.

What is pro-ice?

That’s fair, I think for beginner/practice work it’s a pretty good visualization exercise at least.

Also, living in a city apartment with a roommate and not a lot of space and resources has taught me the value of “low stakes” material/trees that whip up into something visually interesting quick and cheap and put up with things like explosive rabbit population growth without you also having an attack every time you wake up and find your tree sideways on the ground.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01182007

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
God I love Achewood.

Here are the videos I'm watching in preparation of styling my big Hinoki and a nice little CO blue spruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5Tyx47gyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUwy1AbVPE0

My material is really quite similar to both of these, so I should be able to follow along fairly closely. Wish me luck.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Peter Chan in that video

I can understand his viewpoint of cheap, appreciable material from what you might ignore, lord knows most of my trees are non traditional trees that I love

Speaking of which, I was happy enough with everything in string that I din the wire thing , with actual wire this time, I like this workflow and I'm happy with the prune and shape I did

I had a little peak under the skirt and there is heaps and heaps of new root growth (some aerial) very closese to the ground so I wrapped it back up and will continue with my routine

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Hi my name is RickRogers and I think I want to start Bonsai-ing.

I think pines and larches would look pretty awesome, but then I find seedlings of maples, pride of India and assorted wild trees all the time and I wonder if I should try something random.

What do people think?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I'm no expert ,but from experience and depending on your climate level I would start with a rapidly growing succulents or ficus

They are very very forgiving

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Don’t buy any outdoor trees yet until after Christmas when everything goes on closeout

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

RickRogers posted:

Hi my name is RickRogers and I think I want to start Bonsai-ing.

I think pines and larches would look pretty awesome, but then I find seedlings of maples, pride of India and assorted wild trees all the time and I wonder if I should try something random.

What do people think?

Don't do it, you can still escape if you turn back now.

(get some of all of the plants, you're best off working groups of plants)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
As long as it remains relatively warm out I can continue to add secondary wiring to my juniper, correct? No cutting just wiring.

Also we had a sloppy slushy winter storm on Sat that dumped heavy slush on the plants bending down all the branches, knocked them over, and just generally roughed them up so I brought the azaleas inside overnight.

Is there any danger or risk to doing this if I don’t refrigerate them overnight and merely leave them in a 60-65 degree living room for a few hours or say for a day? Outdoor temps are still regularly going between freezing and mid-50s. They came in for thanksgiving spent the week after outside and didn’t seem any worse for wear in terms of continuing to drop old leaves and growing new ones (these are evergreen azaleas so they won’t ever seasonally defoliate) but I wanna be safe.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

As long as it remains relatively warm out I can continue to add secondary wiring to my juniper, correct? No cutting just wiring.

Also we had a sloppy slushy winter storm on Sat that dumped heavy slush on the plants bending down all the branches, knocked them over, and just generally roughed them up so I brought the azaleas inside overnight.

Is there any danger or risk to doing this if I don’t refrigerate them overnight and merely leave them in a 60-65 degree living room for a few hours or say for a day? Outdoor temps are still regularly going between freezing and mid-50s. They came in for thanksgiving spent the week after outside and didn’t seem any worse for wear in terms of continuing to drop old leaves and growing new ones (these are evergreen azaleas so they won’t ever seasonally defoliate) but I wanna be safe.

No wait until sprin.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Thank you for the ideas!
I need no forgiveness, only pain from my plants.
I have access to many plants at a good price, so thinking of just getting a regular European Pine like P. mugo or P. sylvestris, around 30 cm high and going in completely stupid, restructuring the dang thing and see what happens. I will even post pics!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Speaking of having a couple plants to work on

I just planted 10 Carolina reaper chili's in order to get a couple workable bonchi from and on sell the "failures" to turn a profit

Given how quickly chili's grow Im hoping to have a few good looking plants by the end of next year and might sell some on for a profit to lessor fools

Edit: also trying to propagate a cutting from my ficus to give to a friend.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So you can apparently bonsai with poinsettias

Anybody have any experience doing so?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

So you can apparently bonsai with poinsettias

Anybody have any experience doing so?

Nah that's some Nigel Saunders bullshit afaik

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

just some .... minor edits today (in my kitchen because it's raining)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Crocoduck posted:

I can't express how much I love the phrase Nigel Saunders Bullshit

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

fuzzy_logic posted:

just some .... minor edits today (in my kitchen because it's raining)

that's a really, really sexy piece of material. Where'd you get it? What is it? barberry?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crocoduck posted:

Idk, I saw some pretty ones on bonsainut and other forums but point taken.

And Nigel Saunders is probably one of the best on the internet at teaching people in the north how to make ficus grow aerial roots and get all baobab-like, fwiw.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Crocoduck posted:

that's a really, really sexy piece of material. Where'd you get it? What is it? barberry?

Corkbark elm. Snagged it off a table at the big consignment sale back in February after getting every other piece I wanted yoinked out from under me. I picked a new front today and really like it, lots of personality.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

fuzzy_logic posted:

Corkbark elm. Snagged it off a table at the big consignment sale back in February after getting every other piece I wanted yoinked out from under me. I picked a new front today and really like it, lots of personality.

I'd let it grow wild this year and strike some cuttings. I'm doing the same for my deciduous trees. In a year or two you'll be able to use them for thread grafts and root grafts and start really improving branch structure.

I dunno how to edit this image to make it smaller, but if you follow this link: https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpeg

you can see how the Japanese start up the primary branching on their deciduous trees.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Crocoduck posted:

I'd let it grow wild this year and strike some cuttings. I'm doing the same for my deciduous trees. In a year or two you'll be able to use them for thread grafts and root grafts and start really improving branch structure.

I dunno how to edit this image to make it smaller, but if you follow this link: https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpeg

you can see how the Japanese start up the primary branching on their deciduous trees.

Rad. Corkbark is like cheating, the scars just loving vanish in the texture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

If you use
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpg[/timg]
instead of
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/2ryTcM3.jpg[/img]
the CSS will do it for you :ghost:.

Also I have literally no idea what I'm looking at in that picture but I am not a bonsai.