Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Anyone have any advice on keeping Ginkgos? There's a female tree near my house that drops seeds every fall, and I've germinated several these past few years, but the plants only seem to live for a year or two indoors. They'll typically drop their leaves really late, like February, and may grow new leaves in really late spring or early summer, but this cycle usually only continues for a year before the tree drops its leaves the next winter and appears to die. Is this a species that I'll just have to grow outdoors and bring inside over the winter, or are my plants just getting rootbound or not getting enough light or something? Do they absolutely have to have the deciduous drop-leaves-every-fall cycle that outdoor trees do, or is there a way to interrupt this and have them keep their leaves year round and still be healthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Good call on the Ginkgo being an outdoor tree. I put what I thought was a dead Ginkgo outdoors for a few days as a last ditch effort to revive it, and it's magically leafing back out again. Thanks for the advice!

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Something I've been wondering as I'm seeing acorns falling to the ground everywhere -- why aren't oak trees popular bonsai specimens? Do their leaves tend to be too big, or do they not tolerate the pruning and root trimming well?

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Stupid noob question: When's the best time to trim the roots on your trees? I have a couple trident maples that I started from seed a couple years ago, and they're nicely established now, but I'd be willing to bet they're quite root bound as I haven't touched the roots or potting mixture since I planted them. How much root can I safely remove without harming the tree's health?