Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Any advice for starting a redwood bonsai? I saw one over the weekend that I believe was a Sequoia sempervirens, the California/coastal redwood, and it reminded me that I've been wanting to do something similar. Mostly because I'm a biology nut, but I do appreciate the bonsai aesthetic.

Finding trees to take cuttings from won't be hard since their natural range is pretty close by, and they get planted a lot around here, but I don't know how well that would work. I know you can get some foliage to grow from redwood burls, but I'd rather not do something that could damage the tree. Buying one isn't out of the question, but I've only seen them in a few coastal gift shops, and they were a bit out of the way. Plus, gift shops won't have Metasequoia glyptostroboides, which is what I really want. It's a rare, critically endangered species of deciduous redwood native to China, and there's one specimen on campus at a community college I used to attend. I was thinking that if it wouldn't damage the tree, I could probably get permission from the biology department to take a cutting or two, since that was my major and I'm on pretty good terms with the instructors there.

I just want a pretty little tree that I can put in a pot, but I'm paranoid about hurting the parent tree. There's three species of redwood/sequoia in the world, and they're all endangered or threatened. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Thanks, that's good to know! I might pick up that redwood sampler next time I get paid. Even if it doesn't work well for bonsai, I'd still like to try to keep a potted dawn redwood. I really love the way new leaves look and feel, and I think it would be worth the effort to keep one around.

Edit: Looks like the San Francisco botanical garden is having a sale this week, and should have some dawn redwoods. They didn't specify what size or price point, but I want to see the gardens anyway so I guess we'll find out!

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 4, 2012

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

coyo7e posted:

With redwoods, while it's not really a bonsai, but you can slice a burl off of a tree, place it into a tray of water and let it stay nice and damp, and it will sprout and grow. My family has had one for like 20 years, it's a cool little plant, and as long as it gets plenty of water it does quite well and requires basically no maintenance.

That actually is something I considered, but I don't want to hack off part of someone's tree. The particular type of redwood I want is not something that is easily found around here.

I've also found that they actually do require a fair bit of maintenance. My mom had one several years ago, that we bought from a gift shop in Monterey. It was easy to get it started and see some leaves sprout, but almost impossible to keep alive. I think it died after a mere two weeks, and my mom has a pretty amazing green thumb. :(

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Apparently I missed a chance to plant some bonsai and learn about trimming them yesterday. They had a little workshop at the local Obon festival, but it was over by the time I got there. :sigh:

Right now I'm trying to get some seeds sprouted for varying fruit trees. I've got easy access to apple, almond, ornamental plum, loquats and some citrus fruits. I'm just going crazy trying to grow things, because I hate not having a yard.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Nothing is out of reach for cats that want to chew on things. My old roommate had two cats, and one of them managed to chew up my pothos vines even though they were in a window 12ft off the ground. Could you perhaps built a moat around your bonsai?

Alternately, buying something safe for the cat to chew on might be a good idea. Maybe some pet grass would work, if you can get him to eat that instead.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

jerkstore77 posted:

What's funny about this is that my condo is literally surrounded by fully grown tridents all of which have lost their leaves.

It's like they're looking shamefully over me as I try to grow this seemingly retarded tree.

Aww, it's okay. :downs: The Bay Area just has weird weather sometimes. The other day I realized it's December already, and most of the deciduous trees still have leaves, or they're just now starting to lose them.

Then again, we have pretty retarded choices in plants around here. Just glancing around the neighborhood we have maples, oaks, redwoods, pines, assorted fruit trees, and palms. I even have some manner of banana tree in my backyard that was planted by a previous tenant. :psyduck:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

platedlizard posted:

Now I want a giant jade plant. I don't think I'd get one as a bonsai, but great big jade plant? Yep. They're so cool looking.

If you lived nearby, I'd give you one of mine. The previous owners of this place (or the current landlord) must have loved jade plants, because there's a ton of them in the yard. Most are potted, including three giant ones between the hot tub and the fence. Always thought it was kind of stupid to plant something there since they can't be seen and no one pays attention to them, but they do surprisingly well. They don't get much light or water, but they're still vibrant and green even in the warmer months.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

RizieN posted:

If I see a cool tree can I just take some cuttings, dip it in rooting gel/cutting gel and tend to it?

I grew tons of Cannabis and had mother plants and took cuttings from them regularly, so I'm familiar with the process, as far as Cannabis goes... But I've not tried it on cool looking trees. Is there a database that has info regarding the ease of rooting cuttings on different species?

I glanced at your post and was really hoping to see a cannabis bonsai.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

platedlizard posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a maple.

Here's a cannabis bonsai.

That thing looks surprisingly nice, but it must be incredibly annoying having people constantly trying to smoke your bonsai.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Hope your plant makes it, and you give your dad a stern talking-to for filling random bottles with cleaners, and not mentioning it or labeling it. That sort of behavior can be very hazardous. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I never got around to purchasing my metasequoia. Maybe I should, while I have the money for it. Meanwhile, I have an avocado growing out of a pot that I might try to bonsai. Anyone ever tried this, or had any luck with it? Right now it's only about 6" tall, but it looks really healthy and I have a nice place for it outside.