Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Walked around with my grandmother today and found a few seedlings in one of her flowerbeds. They're too small to tell yet, but I'm hoping they're from the maple sapling she planted in the corner of the yard when I was a little kid. I've had a long love-hate relationship with that tree, and it'd be nice to force it to submit to my will and be shorter than me. But knowing my luck they're probably just more sweet-gums. :argh:

We took cutting of the original tree, but I don't have a whole lot of hope for them to take. :smith:

How well do bonsai travel? I move between 7a and 7b during the year (I go to school four hours south of home) and would prefer to be able to bring my tree(s) with me rather than risk a roommate or neighbor killing them. Any special precautions I should take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Thanks. I'll definitely keep an eye out for seeds on the maple if those saplings turn out to be sweetgums. I'm a bit worried about the potting soil I put them in, though. All we have around here is sticky red clay and even broken up really well it doesn't work for potting plants. My dad's used it to (accidentally) kill at least three aloe vera plants. Not that it's made a dent in our aloe population.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Last summer my grandmother and I pulled up a maple seedling from one of her garden beds and I put it in a pot to see if it'd take. It did pretty well over the summer, a few big leaves and a few inches of woody growth. It's spent the winter inside with my father's menagerie of unkillable aloe plants (they just keep multiplying). Looking at it the other day, I noticed some powdery white stuff in the soil around its base. :ohdear: What could this be and will it follow my little tree forever when it comes time to re-pot in the spring?

The soil it's in currently is a mixture of crappy red clay from where we dug it up and whatever potting soil mix my father had on the porch. I will be replacing the current mix with something more suitable when I repot. I'll also hopefully be putting it in a giant teacup planter. Tiny tree, giant teacup.