Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belloq
Nov 22, 2005
Decided to get in to this. Did a little reading and picked out a ficus orientalis (benjamina) that was already trained to see if I could keep it alive.

The little guy arrived today and I placed it on a box by a good east-facing window. It lost a couple leaves in shipping, but overall looks okay. They sent me a "humidity tray" too, with instructions to fill it with gravel and water to increase the humidity around the plant. I'll pick up some gravel toward this end tomorrow.

Some of the leaves are lighter green, and they're all curled... I think it needs a drink. Will post some pictures when I get all set up.

Oh, it has very light green fuzz at a couple places on its trunk... looks like moss or lichen or something. I think this is a stress sign, right? What should I do to clear it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belloq
Nov 22, 2005
Any grow light recommendations? Do the incandescents work as well as the fluorescents?

Belloq
Nov 22, 2005
Okay, the ficus has had the weekend to recover. No real damage from the shipment, and new leaves are popping up all over. Actually it looks like it hadn't been trimmed for quite some time, and I was thinking about pinching some of the new growth to keep the leaves at the top compact and facing upward, kind of like an inverted broom.

Anyway, pics...

I of course have it in the humidity tray the seller sent, and have been misting it every other day or so. Would packing moss around the base of its trunk encourage more root development, or do the roots form in the tree's canopy?