Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«116 »
craig588
Nov 19, 2005

ufarn posted:

Anyone wanna recommend something else than Silent Wings 3 for silent airflow (air-only) cooling before I pull the trigger?

Also, is there anything I should know about Zen(+) and XMP-tuning my RAM? I assume turning on XMP in BIOS after setting things up is the default way to do it.

I like Noctua PPC 3000 fans. I run them at as low as my motherboard will let them run which is around 650RPM which is silent enough for me, I can't hear them from the 4-5 feet my computer is from me. For XMP I have memory that does 2133-16 at 1.2 volts but just switching over to XMP makes it 2666-14 at 1.35 volts. It can't even do 2400-16 at 1.2 volts, but 1.35 volts is actually validated, for a while I thought 1.35V was just made up but they (generally) actually test the memory at the XMP profile too so it should be safe. I've been running with the XMP profile for over a year now with no problems.

I'd turn on XMP first, at least in my case is reset everything to defaults with an Asus X99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

I stumbled upon a free Asus A7N8X and MSI nForce4 SLI mobos still in pristine condition, so I am planning to OC a $5 Barton 2500+, $20 Opteron 175 with $10 4GB DDR1 3200 as a retro Win XP build for shits and giggles.

Palladium fucked around with this message at May 8, 2018 around 16:55

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Pillbug

You might be surprised by what it could do, especially the Opteron. My old Pentium M system with 4GB of DDR1 was actually able to run Skyrim and WoW in Windows 10 on an AGP HD4570, although performance was of course pretty terrible even at 720p/low.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Blub

Palladium posted:

I stumbled upon a free Asus A7N8X and MSI nForce4 SLI mobos still in pristine condition, so I am planning to OC a $5 Barton 2500+, $20 Opteron 175 with $10 4GB DDR1 3200 as a retro Win XP build for shits and giggles.

gently caress yes. What are you cooling it with??

My friend got a 2500+ to 3GHz by leaving his PC on a windowsill in -5C.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

XP has pretty poor support for dual cores. It works but it's more down to software support. I'd stick with the Barton for XP. (I'd actually use 2000, but if XP is what you have it's not much slower)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

gently caress yes. What are you cooling it with??

My friend got a 2500+ to 3GHz by leaving his PC on a windowsill in -5C.

I dunno, its actually quite a PITA to find a cheap and good Socket 370/A heatsink now, I should never have thrown away my old Socket A cooler master Aero 7+. In contrast, most of the new coolers are all compatible from the latest CPUs all the way back to S939.

And AMD's thermal protection loving sucks on Socket A.

Palladium fucked around with this message at May 9, 2018 around 02:10

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Ugh I was so happy when a stranger sponsored me a Athlon XP 1800+ and a Socket A cooler, that I totally forgot about the dreaded bad caps fiasco of the Athlon XP / P4 era. The Nichicon caps on my MSI nForce2 board exploded immediately after power on while the A7N8X was fine for 30 mins until I saw one cap bulging before I cut off the power.

Now I'm unsure whether the S939 K8 boards are safe or not.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Blub

Palladium posted:

The Nichicon caps on my MSI nForce2 board exploded immediately after power on

I'm sorry dude, but I laughed out loud at that.

I should probably get out more.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Palladium posted:

Ugh I was so happy when a stranger sponsored me a Athlon XP 1800+ and a Socket A cooler, that I totally forgot about the dreaded bad caps fiasco of the Athlon XP / P4 era. The Nichicon caps on my MSI nForce2 board exploded immediately after power on while the A7N8X was fine for 30 mins until I saw one cap bulging before I cut off the power.

It kind of depends, I have two 939 boards. One has a couple of bad caps but still works (although I don't use it because I'm sure it will die soon) but the other seems to have no bad caps. I'm still using it for a 32 bit windows 7 install so I can use an old SCSI HP Scanjet 4c.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Blub

They're through hole caps? They'd be super easy to replace.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They're through hole caps? They'd be super easy to replace.

The soldering is easy but finding replacement caps without spending a relative bomb is the hard part.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Palladium posted:

Some are, I still have an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe that works fine and has never been recapped, it was the first ‘good’ motherboard I ever bought after years of cheap ones.

I recapped a shitload of mobos back in the day; replacement caps weren’t that expensive.

Dadbod Apocalypse
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Well, I just dropped the x5660 into my x58 board to replace my i7-940 and it wouldn't even post, so obviously the board doesn't support it. Naturally, I got mad at my being dumb, replaced the i7 and overclocked it from stock 2.8 to 3.8.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Pillbug

What's the model of your board and is the BIOS up to date?

Dadbod Apocalypse
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Eletriarnation posted:

What's the model of your board and is the BIOS up to date?

It's an EVGA 132-bl-e758 sli

Revisions 1.2 and up will support it with the latest BIOS. I have an earlier revision which requires a mod -- moving one of those teeny-tiny resistors on the motherboard-- which I doubt I'm capable of doing. The chip was only $30, so it's not the end of the world, but I should have looked this up before I impulse bought it.

n..
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Are EVGA precision and MSI afterburner the only options for fiddling with your GPU clock/fan? Both of them cause all sorts of weird issues on my pc if I leave them running. Is there a way to set that data in the BIOS and not have to run an app at all?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

Pre Pascal it's very easy to edit the bios and bake in your overclocking into the firmware. Pascal you need to use one of the apps, they all generally tie into the same points though. Asus GPU Tweak, Zotac Firestorm, MSI Afterburner (My favorite), EVGA Precision, Gigabyte OC Guru, basically any brand you can think of. They're mostly all made by the Rivatuner guy with a different skin for every manufacturer. I think the EVGA one in the most modified and thus the least stable, the MSI one seems to have the least modifications and has been the most stable for me.

If you have something pre Pascal let me know and I'll dig out the old guides for doing it all in firmware.

n..
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Nah it's a 1080. That's what I was afraid of. Thanks though. I wish there was decent app that didn't look like a 90's Winamp skin and cause my computer to poo poo the bed after it's been running for a while (especially if I sleep it and wake it back up).

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

For msi afterburner use one of classic skins, the default one is awful.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Well, it's not like you have to run MSI Afterburner manually everytime or on startup to make the OC persistent.

Trust me Pascal software OCing is only like a million times better and safer than loving around with the GPU BIOS.

n..
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Palladium posted:

Well, it's not like you have to run MSI Afterburner manually everytime or on startup to make the OC persistent.

Trust me Pascal software OCing is only like a million times better and safer than loving around with the GPU BIOS.

Really? As in, you can change the clock, close it, and not run it again and the next you reboot it will stay? Hmm, I'll have to reinstall it and try this again.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Blub

The options there to enable on boot, sure.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

What firmware issues do you have with your videocards? I've been modifying bioses for years with no issues. It's very easy, takes like 5 minutes and you can flash the bios dozens of times before risking corruption, the chips are designed to be reflashed. Stability test for a couple hours, edit the bios then never pay attention to it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Pillbug

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

It's an EVGA 132-bl-e758 sli

Revisions 1.2 and up will support it with the latest BIOS. I have an earlier revision which requires a mod -- moving one of those teeny-tiny resistors on the motherboard-- which I doubt I'm capable of doing. The chip was only $30, so it's not the end of the world, but I should have looked this up before I impulse bought it.
Hmm, that's unfortunate... yeah, reading around it seems inconsistent on whether moving a resistor is necessary or just shorting one with a wire. I'd feel far more confident about the second.

«116 »