Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«117 »
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CPU-Z isn't always very good. I'd check the sensors in HWInfo64. Here's what it shows for my i5-4670K at 4.2:

Then when I scroll down:

My fins are dusty so it's a little hot right now but it's always been a more complete picture to me. You can also right click on an entry and add it to the system tray to keep an eye on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penpal
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks, I just installed it. I've been running prime95 for the past 40 minutes, and everything seems stable at 4.1ghz.

I think I'll just keep it here. It was running around ~40c without prime running.

I haven't had to do anything with the voltage, I just turned turbo off and made sure my ram wasn't higher than 1333mhz. Thanks for the replies everyone

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Pillbug

Excellent! My understanding is that X58 is the first generation where the memory controller can operate in mixed mode, using triple- or dual-channel where possible for the first bank and single-channel for the remainder. I'm not sure how many problems this has in practice, I never tried it. Previous generations were much more limited; even X48 allows you to get dual-channel only if the DIMMs in both channels add up to the same capacity.

It's odd that the latest BIOS effectively wouldn't allow any overclocking, especially since it's not labeled as a beta. The DS4's final version or two were labeled beta and came with warnings, but I had to load the final one to get my X5660 working and haven't noticed any issues with it.

It's interesting that your screenshot shows 21x as the max multiplier. Do you have turbo enabled? I think 21x might be the base multiplier; I'm able to hit 23x with all cores loaded and 24x with 1, using default settings. I couldn't actually find a way to remove the 1-core step without disabling turbo entirely and going down to 21x, but my BCLK wouldn't go high enough to get to 4.6GHz that way. I could get Windows to boot at 200 BCLK just fine and all the multi-core stress tests I ran seemed OK, but when I started running games I had cores popping up to 4.8 and giving me weird crashes. I had to turn down BCLK to 190 to get it really stable.

Also, what does your motherboard set Vcore to at that speed? I have 1.375 set in BIOS and 1.36 showing in HWinfo. I'm keeping it reasonably cool and it seems like I should be safe, Sandy Bridge was on the same process and I ran a 2500K at 1.39 for years.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thank you very much! Your post's totally hot!

I'm trying to OC my 8700k w/ Asrock Extreme 4 to have all cores at 4.8 GHz (may go higher later), and am using adaptive voltage for the first time (0.1). After a short 20 minute Extreme Tuning Utility test my max voltage was 1.375, and temps had a spike of 71 degrees but an average of ~60-65 degrees per HWInfo. Are these values "good enough" to start testing with Prime95 and the like? It's been a while since I've overclocked (3570k) and I wanted to be sure I'm headed down the right path, or if I should mess with my fan curve, etc. I also have the power saving settings turned on (so it will underclock down to 0.8) - I'm reading mixed feelings regarding that, should I keep them on or turn them off?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slippery Tilde

Mr E posted:

I'm trying to OC my 8700k w/ Asrock Extreme 4 to have all cores at 4.8 GHz (may go higher later), and am using adaptive voltage for the first time (0.1). After a short 20 minute Extreme Tuning Utility test my max voltage was 1.375, and temps had a spike of 71 degrees but an average of ~60-65 degrees per HWInfo. Are these values "good enough" to start testing with Prime95 and the like? It's been a while since I've overclocked (3570k) and I wanted to be sure I'm headed down the right path, or if I should mess with my fan curve, etc. I also have the power saving settings turned on (so it will underclock down to 0.8) - I'm reading mixed feelings regarding that, should I keep them on or turn them off?

1.375 is too high for all-core 4.8GHz, even with a poor chip. I'm not sure if this applies to Asrock boards too, but on Asus boards, adaptive voltage will never go below VID. The only way to lower voltage in adaptive mode is to set a negative offset, which has the effect of actually lowering VID. You should definitely keep C-states and power saving features on, disabling that is only for turbonerds on LN2.

For comparison, I also have a 8700k, and it doesn't clock all that well. 4.8GHz all-core is what I run for a daily overclock (I could safely do 4.9, but I prefer lower temps and noise), using adaptive mode with a -0.03v offset and a medium LLC setting. Under heavy AVX loads like OCCT's small dataset stress test, I get ~1.36v VID and ~1.3v Vcore. This is pretty high for 4.8GHz, but since I've delidded it stays just under 65C at this point.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alright, I thought that voltage was high. I can't seem to set an offset that isn't in increments of 0.1 positive or negative in the BIOS - I don't know if I'm missing a setting or if that's just the motherboard I'm using, though. I think I'll go back to manual voltage until I get a stable setup but it'll be nice to know that answer if I can get it if I decide to go back to offset.

Mr E fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 15:07

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slippery Tilde

Mr E posted:

Alright, I thought that voltage was high. I can't seem to set an offset that isn't in increments of 0.1 positive or negative in the BIOS - I don't know if I'm missing a setting or if that's just the motherboard I'm using, though. I think I'll go back to manual voltage until I get a stable setup but it'll be nice to know that answer if I can get it if I decide to go back to offset.

0.1v increments sounds weird. Can't you just type in whatever you want? I don't have that board, but on Asus boards, what you do in adaptive mode is you set what voltage you want in turbo mode and an offset. The turbo mode voltage only means something if it's actually higher than what the VID would normally be in turbo mode, so if you set, say, 1.2v while the CPU says it wants 1.35, it's going to ignore you completely. The offset on the other hand affects VID at all points of the voltage curve, so if you set it to a large negative number but have a big adaptive turbo voltage, you can end up being unstable under light loads but fine under high loads. Adaptive mode is thus a bit finicky to tune, but it's absolutely what you want to use for a daily overclock.

I was actually inspired by your post to go check out my own settings since I know more now than I did when I first set this up, and one BIOS update and a bit of tweaking later it now looks like I have a stable 4.9GHz setting without actually raising voltage by too much!
Ended up with 1.33v under AVX, 1.34v under non-AVX loads at 4.9. Really not too bad, and I wonder if it might actually do 5.0GHz at 1.4v or below.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 15:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll have check it when I get home tonight, but last night I wasn't able to enter anything that wasn't in that increment which made no sense. Like I said, I'm going to mess with manual for now, but I'll have to look into that too eventually.

EDIT: Alright, I backed my manual voltage all the way back to 1.3 w/ LLC to Level 3, and ran a short test again and got the below values. Look good or no?

Mr E fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 22:02

«117 »