Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«135 »
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

Indiana_Krom posted:

I would presume if once you settle on a speed that works and everything checks out, you should turn speedstep and c-states back on or the CPU will be blasting away at full speed all the time instead of clocking down to a modestly more energy efficient state (though it will be limited on energy savings given you are going to lock the voltage which is the more significant component of power consumption).

I went back and enabled all those options again but then Windows wasn't showing the 4.0ghz overclock. Maybe it just wasn't reporting it because it was in a low-power state but I went back to disabling it just in case.

Dogen posted:

You could do like a tiny amount in Sandy Bridge and then it totally died after that

So overclocking is pretty much done these days? Or it's just done differently?

Not only did the guide for my CPU say a 21 multiplier is good, they said it's actually better than a 20 for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I went back and enabled all those options again but then Windows wasn't showing the 4.0ghz overclock. Maybe it just wasn't reporting it because it was in a low-power state but I went back to disabling it just in case.

So overclocking is pretty much done these days? Or it's just done differently?

Windows was probably reporting your current clock speed, use something like hwinfo to see what it gets up to.

These days overclocking a CPU is just about having an unlocked part and changing the multiplier and having good enough cooling. And if you feel like it, fiddling with voltage LLC some but generally gains from that kind of thing have gotten harder to come by. No fiddling with the FSB anymore.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 30, 2020

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dogen posted:

gains from that kind of thing have gotten harder to come by. No fiddling with the FSB anymore.

You ain't kiddin' man. I took a shot at a manual OC on my new 9700k build this morning. Reset all the default "gaming mode" stuff in Bios back to default and started playing around in XTU.
Brought the multipliers up to 50, adjusted core volts to 1.35 and slid the power limits up around 275w or so and I got it stable up to 5.1ghz but at a huge price in temp. With the one click stuff in the Bios on I was getting 4.8ghz with a CPU package avg of about 65C. That extra .3ghz came at an increase of nearly 18C on the chip and put my coolant temp over 40c. I could also see the lights in my office start to flicker with the power draw... lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I came here to laugh at you

Kerosene19 posted:

I could also see the lights in my office start to flicker with the power draw... lol

Call an electrician before you burn your house down.

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kerosene19 posted:

I could also see the lights in my office start to flicker with the power draw... lol

I really hope this was hyperbole

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Some really lovely wiring if an overclocked 9700K makes your light flicker.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sounds like you're about 500w away from your house burning down, op

Don't buy Vega

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Warmachine posted:

Call an electrician before you burn your house down.

The circuits are fine

Lockback posted:

I really hope this was hyperbole

Yes, I see how I put that could be cause for concern. When the CPU and GPU go to full load I could see very slight dimming in an incandescent desk light which is on the same power strip as the desktop.

Good looking out though y’all!

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Get a new power strip. If you are seeing dimming that means you are not getting enough power to your lamp, which means you are not getting enough power to your PSU. It might be fine right now, but if your voltages go too low you risk a brown out which can take components out.

The fact that your power strip isn't tripping it's breaker is enough of a reason already to replace it.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

Is it possible to overclock just the single core Ryzen 7s boost? i.e. let it go beyond the standard boost it gives out of the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

Cooked my RAM nicely in the meantime. Probably around the highest that can be done on this platform:

MSI MEG ACE X570
G.Skill 3600mhz cas 16 (4 x 8gb)
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb...&quicklink=true

Running at 3800mhz, 1:1, settings per DRAM Calculator fast configuration:

Here's how it compares -

Standard (3600mhz cas 16):

Read 47315
Write 30933
Copy 47293
Latency 70.4

Full overclock:

Read 56232