Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Shaocaholica posted:

What can you do these days with a 4ghz+ Pentium-D?

Cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Schrodinger's CPU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

While I understand the sentiment - I think in spirit that the SKUs should be validated for a high speed and turbo to their stable limits out of the box - I think overclocking has always been about getting a little cheeky bit extra for nothing, or indeed for the hell of it (certainly not nothing in the case of custom watercooling or liquid Nitrogen).

You're not getting a bit extra for nothing. You're trading chip life and stability for it. Now whether that trade is perceptible or even a concern is another question.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
At this point it should be pretty apparent that your overclock ability has way more to do with the magicalness of your chip and not the poo poo stacked on it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I used Arctic Silver 5 since I had some at work. I used a suuuper thin layer, so thin that after a couple minutes I had 95% covered but then the index card I was spreading with was revealing bits of the heatsink metal instead of covering it up 100%. I plopped on the cooler from there, and it was surprisingly slip-sliding all over the place until I lined up the crossbar perfectly and got it clamped down.

Isnt this like the worse way possible to apply thermal paste.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I would hope anyone overclocking is following rule 1 of don't play with things you can't afford to replace

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I would just abandon the idea of replacing a CPU socket

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
That pains me

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
ive overclocked the 675m in my sager before but really there just isn't enough thermal headroom to do much

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Uh, you have two more cores, as well, which will probably scale in physics tests.

Also, first time I've heard Sandy Bridge-E called "lovely".

Thats not the best part.

Hard drive model
60 GB OCZ-AGILITY3

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
pretty certain you cant actually raise the voltage on modern GPUs to a harmful level without firmware fuckery so you just crank that poo poo to 11 then shoot for the moon on clock and hope the chip is a good one