Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Temperature and overclocking question for you guys:

So I have this case + mobo (not my setup in pic):

I'm running an i7 6700 with a low profile Noctua NH-L9x65mm cooler. The case can take up to an 85mm cooler.

I've been having some issues with temps getting up into the high 80s and low 90s when stress testing. At idle, temps are at 22-25C in "balanced" mode with windows and 37-40C when in "high performance" windows mode where the processor just runs at 4.2Ghz all the time. I've reapplied thermal paste multiple times and the temps are always in the same range. The low profile cooler seems to be the issue since reviews say it is just not good enough to really cool a 6700k especially if it is overclocked. If I OC to 4.5Ghz with 4.8Ghz turboboost, I easily get 100C temp spikes and throttling.

Temps in games are in the 60s-70s at stock speeds so that's good.

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve CPU cooling at this point that WOULD NOT involve going the water cooling route? I suppose I could mount a massive air cooler on the thing and just keep the side panel of the case off but that would look pretty awful.

Also, any thoughts on just buying a desk/room fan, popping off the side panel, and just blowing a metric fuckton of air into the case when I'm gaming and overclocking? I usually keep the side panel unscrewed anyways and take it off when gaming since I can get temps to go down by about 5C with the glass side panel off.

It's my fault for buying this case, but it is sturdy as gently caress, and I just really like it aesthetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
The 3dmark Timespy benchmark will cause temps to spike to the 100C range when the thing is OC'd. Temps spike occasionally in BF4 to 92-94C during OC but on average temps are in the mid to high 70s. The temp spikes literally last for 1-2 seconds and then go back to the high 70s when reading via HWiNFO64.

Should I really be concerned about intermittent temp spikes? Or be more focused on average cpu temp?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Been playing around with my 6700k as I just figured out I've been overvolting it to 1.42 for the past year nice and stable (forgot to change in bios when I was screwing around with OCing when I did the initial build). Might as well run this little bastard into the ground.

What's weird is the chip is rock solid stable at 4.7ghz at 1.38 volts but is a little less stable at 4.7ghz at 1.42 volts.This is on a Noctua DH15S cooler.

Huh?

I thought these chips were supposed to crash hard if you didn't give them enough power?

Am I just running into thermal throttling issues? For example, I get get through intel burn test just fine at 1.38 with no cores shooting up to 99C or just plain turning off, but weird poo poo starts happening at 1.42 where temps will spike to 99C, processor cores will gray out/shut off on HWinfo, and the mobo will not recognize any usb or headphone inputs for a brief moment or just blue screen. Same thing with Cinebench where scores are actually a few points better when running at a lower voltage.

I've also noticed weird stuff going on in HWInfo when running at 1.42 volts where the Maximum Voltage will bump up WAY higher than the input maximum in the Asus board bios including all the way up to 1.47 or 1.48 volts. Same thing at 1.38 volts where there will be maximum reading spikes at 1.42, 1.44 volts, etc. Why the hell is this happening if the chip is set to run at a constant voltage? Is there some kind of voltage offset setting I'm forgetting to disable?

Should I try to push the voltage down further? Little worried about what could happen if I under volt the chip.