Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm quite happy with this overclock, but I'm a bit worried about the temps. Is it dangerous to run it like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This one looks stable. Would have preferred at least 4.6, but :effort:.

Edit:

Is there a reason you shouldn't up the bclk? I thought it was "Up the multiplier at your desired max voltage until you can't go any higher, then use the bclk to get every last Hz out of it."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My CPU fan is running at full speed because I haven't figured out Asrock's bizarre fan scaling yet. Luckily it's a 140mm Noctua that spins at 1200 RPM so it's not terribly loud anyway.

Hey, Noctua buddy. :hfive:

Try a 0.100 volt offset. That landed me at 1.3V VCore, and I can go over 4.5 GHz without hitting 70C temps.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you want a "black monolith", you want the Define XL. http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=68

It's just so... big. :swoon:

Also, I have one, and it keeps my OC'd 3570k at under 65C @ 4.53GHz. Also, you literally can't hear when it's on. Did I mention it's big? Because it makes my Noctua NH-D14 look small.

Edit: If you do get that case, make sure your PSU has long enough cables. My Seasonic X750 Gold's CPU 8 pin wasn't long enough to route behind the motherboard tray. I actually had to run it UNDER my video card.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed posted:

Man, an extender for that ought to be packaged with PSUs. I always have to do some goofy poo poo like run it alongside the rear fan and tighten it to the fan with a zip-tie or something like that. And in this case, as a fellow NH-D14 (:love:) owner who did not plug in the 8-pin 'til the mobo and PSU were installed, let me tell you, plugging that barely-long-enough fucker in... was an unpleasant experience.

The cut on my hand still hasn't healed. :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

See with the Archon your hand has plenty of room to grab the plug, and with the 650D and a seasonic based PSU there is plenty of room for the 8-pin to be pulled behind the motherboard tray :smugdog:

Noctua:

Airflow 110.3 / 92.3 m³/h
Airflow with U.L.N.A. 83,7 / 63,4 m³/h
Acoustical Noise 19,6 / 19,8 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with U.L.N.A. 13,2 / 12,6 dB(A)

Archon:

Fan noise: 19~21dBA
Airflow: 95.14~124 m³/h

:smugdog:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For the love of God, don't do that. The stock Intel cooler is designed to be just enough to get 99.99% of chips past the warranty without dying on stock speeds. The temp you're at is on par with suicide e-peen run; you'll be lucky if it lasts you the year.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 17, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just waiting for someone crazy enough to try soldering the heat spreader on to see if it's possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I removed the TIM on my stock Intel HSF and used Arctic Silver 5. :confused:

when you say you "removed the TIM", people assume you mean this:

Edit: while we're on the subject, I've been considering deliding my proc and replacing the thermal paste with the Noctua NT-H1 that came with my heat sink. It *says* non conductive on the package, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried using it before. Also, what's the best way to apply it? Should I put a dot on? A line? spread it out evenly with a credit card? Should I use hi temp silicone (This stuff: http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_High-Temp_Red_RTV_Silicone_Gasket.htm ) to reattach the top, or leave it loose?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 18, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Actually, since the chip isn't soldered to the spreader, what's stopping someone from soldering the spreader directly to the heatsink? Obviously, this would make the heatsink useless for anything else, but it might shave off a few degrees if you really want to go [H] with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed posted:

Thinking through, how would you even do this in a way that would improve rather than damage cooling ability (let alone the processor)? You'd have to solder it only to the part of the heatspreader that contacts the core or else I'd bet there would be no benefit at all, and then you've added several uneven millimeters to the heat sink and IHS setup which is going to bite hard when you go to tighten it down. If you apply paste as normal then just solder the outside, not sure you'd have any reason to expect benefits, but I am sure it'd be a good way to ruin a perfectly good processor and heat sink all at the same time. You'd have to do it with the processor already installed to the motherboard, too, unless part of the plan is to remove the IHS-heatsink soldered together setup to install the naked processor (possibly replacing the potentially mediocre application of goopy TIM with a more carefully applied layer of quality TIM), but then you run into the problem of crushing the processor when you go to tighten the heatsink...

That's gotta be too [H] for [H], even.

You'd have to remove the heat spreader from the processor (replacing the paste in the process) and then sand a little off the bottom of the heatsink to make up for the difference in solder depth. You'd then probably want to reflow solder the heatsink and heat spreader together to make sure it's level. I didn't say it would be easy, but it's got to be easier than actually soldering the core to the heat spreader.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The first core always runs cooler, since it's next to a huge piece of the die that's seeing no utilization (the integrated graphics), and that acts as a big heatsink.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, 70% of time under full load on a gaming PC means you're gaming almost 17 hours a day.

Also, 2.5 years is longer than their target demographic is likely to keep that computer, anyways.

That said, I'd want some heavy duty cooling if you're going to overclock it THAT MUCH.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I wouldn't worry about it. The R4 has decent airflow. I have its big brother (the Define XL), and my parts stay nice and chilly, even with just the stock case fans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'd have sex with my NH-D14, but that would compromise its cooling ability.

:swoon:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pffft, amateurs.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/delta-v-15-69mm-electric-ducted-fan-EFLDF15

Pulled 26A at 12V in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqGGFWrGaQ

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 7, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure why you didn't anyways. IB is not really an upgrade at all over SB if you were overclocking, due to the worse thermal performance of IB.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What did you have before?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always wondered why people don't just mount the radiator outside of the case. The whole point of water cooling is to move the heat somewhere else. That somewhere else should probably not be 4 inches from where all the heat is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There could literally be a false case top a few inches above the real case top that you mount the radiator to. Air would come in from above and leave out the sides without ever going inside the case and keep roughly the same form factor. You would just need appropriate wire and tube grommets.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gooncave and gardens

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tehinternet posted:

This owns.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Noctua fans anyways so awesome. Glad I got a full tower now because that cooler looks thicc in the best way.

It is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ufarn posted:

Do you peg the rear CHA fan to the CPU fans, or do you just run them at independent speeds?

I found there is so much airflow it literally doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

You could try to visualize the flow with a stick of incense or something else that generates visible smoke, that would tell you for sure

Or I could, if I had a window in my case. In lieu of actual evidence, more fans = better than. :colbert: