Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
This is probably a super dumb question, but here goes nothing. This is my first time overclocking something and I set my Intel Core i7-4790K at 110.06 MHz in my BIOS (I think this is scaling of some sort?), which resulted in a clock speed of 4403 MHz (it's been running at a flat 4000 MHz before this). When I ran Prime95 the cores were mostly sitting at 78 degrees C with one spike up to 81 degrees for a split second on one core. Normal use has been stable so far and I haven't seen temps like that outside of Prime95. Does that seem OK or did I overdo it? :ohdear: I figured now was as good a time as any to get off my rear end and overclock it, finally, but I don't want to break anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like you're changing your bus speed or something - try to instead overclock by changing the multiplier - it'll be either 40 or 44 by default which correlates to 4.0GHz or 4.4GHz(I can't remember if the BIOS shows the base or boost clock). What is your cooling solution? Temps under 80 are fine.You want to stay under 1.3v vcore also. You should use some software like HWinfo64 to see your clocks and vcore and show us a screencap if you aren't sure if what you have is safe.

To reiterate, the 4790k boosts to 4.4GHz so it shouldn't have been running at a flat 4000MHz before. It should also have been scaling itself down to idle lower than that when not under load.

e: For example here's my 4790k which idles at 800MHz @~0.8v and under load goes to 4.6GHz at ~1.24v.

I think I messed up some settings at some point in the distant past, because the variable clock speed wasn't enabled and neither was the turbo boost as far as I could tell. After enabling those it seems to vary all the time. There's a good chance I adjusted the wrong thing tbh! I'll go back and reset it to the flat 100.0 it was at and tweak the multiplier instead. I've been using CAM from NZXT to monitor temps and stuff, but I'll grab HWinfo64 instead and do some testing tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips so far :)

Edit: My cooler is a Noctua NH-U12S that I got primarily to look into overclocking a bit, then promptly forgot!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

It sounds to me like you should reset your BIOS to default settings (to undo whatever else you might have hosed up and forgot about) and then set your voltage to manual, something like 1.2v or so, set your multiplier to 44, do some testing and see what you're at for temps and stability. It should be fine but it's good to start low. Next I'd move your multiplier up by 1 until it's not stable in testing and then add voltage in 0.05 increments until it is stable or your temps >80 or you reach 1.28v.

This is all just my opinion, err on the safe side etc. Just enabling the boost on the cpu is going to give you the biggest 'gains'.

That's solid advice! Thank you very much, I'll get on that tomorrow!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Man there are a couple of the tests in Prime95 that just slam the CPU temp-wise. Did what VelociBacon suggested and reset everything to default and started over. Put the multiplier at 44 to bring it to about 4.4 MHz and the volt down to 1.2 and stress testing with Prime95 varies between like 65C and 70C, then suddenly it spiked to 82C for a couple minutes and now it's back down to 72ish. Is it still "safe" to push the multiplier higher? Part of me thinks that Prime95 is pushing it to higher temps than it would see with normal use, but this is new territory for me so I'm hesitant to push too far.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Eh, I'm just trying to figure out what I can squeeze out of the system to be honest. I got the 4790K when I built the computer but at that point I didn't really know much about what the difference was between processros, I just went with some recommendations. Figured since I have an overclockable chip I may as well :shrug: I'll probably leave it at 4.4 and call it a day, tweak more if the need arises!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

What Prime95 test are you actually running?

I remember there was some debate about whether Prime95 was safe for CPU testing. Anyone more knowledgeable in this thread care to chime in? I'm also considering buying Aida64 for stability testing - is it a strong enough tester for CPU/GPU?

e: Forkbucket at the very least if you're happy with 4.4GHz you should start turning down the cpu Vcore by increments of like 0.025 to see if you can get it running a bit cooler while still stable. When you have a crash just increase it back up slowly until it's stable and that's your new voltage.

I'm using the blender option after clicking "just benchmarking" or whatever the option was, pretty much just following recommendations after googling it. It was only that one test in prime95 that brought the temps that high, otherwise it was sitting around 70 while still in prime95. Should I be aiming for no spikes over 80 at all?