Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Palladium posted:

Whats the consensus for max safe 24/7 VCCSA/VCCIO voltages for CFL chips? My Micron E-dies are coming and I would wanna drive them at 3600C16.

I have an 8700k on a z390 Aorus Master. Running a 4 dimm set of 3200/cl16 e-die at 3800/cl16 with pretty decent timings (16/20/20/40) but I haven't spent much time trying to tighten it up further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Probably a display issue in that whatever benchmark !Klams is looking is only reporting the stock base clock of the CPU. I've seen it with some benchmarks and system reporting statistic stuff as well. For an example, my 5.0 ghz OC'ed 9900KF will report Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz in Windows (specifically coming off of "wmic cpu list brief"). Second the recommendation to look at CPU-Z or HWINFO64.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Ram overclocking adventures!

What's the difference between:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2K3600C16#tab-tech-specs
$199.99
Memory Size 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB)
Tested Latency 16-18-18-36
Tested Voltage 1.35V
Tested Speed 3600MHz

and this:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18#tab-tech-specs
$94.99
Memory Size 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB)
Tested Latency 18-22-22-42
Tested Voltage 1.35V
Tested Speed 3600MHz

Looks like this difference is about 0.00625V which is apparently the amount of the lowest step up.

In other news, don't open chrome when you have 32 gigs of ram humming along with a test.

Timings are better on the first kit.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

spunkshui posted:

I dont have a good guide but memtest 86 for an hour has been sufficient at proving errors wont happen in my experience of running OCed ram for a few months.

All I have done is lowered CL18 to CL16 with some 3600 sticks.

Just like a cpu, increasing the voltage 1 step made the errors go away.

1.35 to 1.35625V

I’ve backed away from memtest. I like TM5 with whatever their names profile or Linpack. Had an OC that memtested to more than 500% seemed good for a very long time (months), CoD:MW poo poo on it.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Seems like these are related.

I have 6 fans, 3 in 3 out, on both our cases so GPU heat is a non issue for us.

We also are only cooling 1070s :(

Hoping the 3080 TI is more fun for overclocking then the rest of the 30 series.

Totally agree.

My Bdie (Patriot 4400/19 Steel Series Viper) I was running at 1.55v, SA and IO were/are at sane voltages like 1.25v. My desktop is watercooled and temps stay decent on the cpu and gpu, but the case isn’t the best for airflow (and well water cooling) in general, it caused me to go back and adjust things. I have 2 360 rads for a 9900kf and a 2080ti in a NZXT h700. I ended up pulling .05 volts off the memory, re walking through the timings with a slight loosening on primaries but tightening up the secondary and tertiary timings. Still at 4133/CL16 on 4 DIMMs with a Z390 Aorus Master. Don’t feel like chasing a new BIOS and re running through the CPU and memory OCs. Plus, while I can boot past 4133 even at 4400, the timings are definitely looser and I crash immediately once loaded.

Now: been pretty dang stable in CoD and other games. It’s funny how stuff can be stable and one new application just loads the system differently and crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

literally this big posted:

Hello thread! I'm looking to build a new PC once parts come back into stock, but before then I'd like to consider OCing my current computer, both for a performance boost and because it seems like fun. It'd also be good practice to work on this one before OCing my new PC. I built this thing around 2014 so it's getting a little long in the tooth. My monitor is 1080@75Hz so that's what I'm shooting for. Many of the games I play will sometimes dip into the 40-70FPS range, so I'm hoping to squeeze a little more performance out of this thing. I've never overclocked anything before so I'd appreciate a bit of help with this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Memory: Corsair 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: SanDisk Extreme 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3 GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Asus VA229HR 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor

Please note that I have two different sticks of RAM in there. Which of those should go into the first/second DIMM slot? (Does it even matter?)

Where would be the best place to start with this? How much more could I realistically get out of this system? (Even if it's not much I'd still like to try.)

Thanks!

Non GPU wise. Wouldn’t bother frankly. CPU is a non K part so locked multiplier. The chipset isn’t a Z series one, so weaker OC support even for K parts (like VRM will be weaker than a Z board, less tweaking options, and so on). The memory is mismatched. So this leaves you with base clock OC as your only option which can net you an OC but they will OC everything dependent on that clock and result in instability beyond a MHz or two. As for the DIMM positioning, it’s two slots, won’t matter, one slot will be wired to one channel and the other to the other.

GPU: sorry I didn’t mess with 780.