Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Man UEFI is for babies, hell BIOS overclocking is for babies.
We should go back to dip switches and pins.
I remember accidently OCing an 800mhz Pentium 3 to 1.0 Ghz once when trying to match the ram latency, it owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Time for a blast to the past, and I don't mind if nobody knows a solution to this considering I barely use this computer, but I would like to get it to run at 100% if possible:

I threw a P3 Coppermine in a Pentium 2 based computer, I'm surprised it works (Bios detects it incorrectly, complains of "unsupported proccessor, but it works fine.), but it does. It's a P3 933 with a 133 FSB, but the motherboard is set for a 100 mhz FSB and as such is underclocking the processor to 700 mhz. One part of me sees that as probably a good thing due to the limited cooling inside, but I would love to see if I could wring the full 933 out of it.
If I could fine a 100 mhz FSB P3, it would run at the proper marked speed right?
E: It's a compaq OEM board, on the 440BX chipset.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 23, 2012

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Yes but spending a single dollar on this is a waste of money.
The computer itself is a Compaq Deskpro EN 6300, motherboard info from HP seems sketchy because it links to a later model.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

If I were to find a 100 mhz FSB pentium 3 it would run at the marked speed right? Which then means that 133 mhz pentium 3s were actually slower... If I'm thinking about this right.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm already running an "unsupported" processor (For one thing it was made 2 years after the bios date, and for another it's got a higher FSB) so I'm sure any P3 other then the server variants will work. I would love to get a Coppermine-T 1.2 in there.
I also managed to shove 768 megs of SD ram into it, which frankly shocked the hell out of me.
Also doesn't that mean that you could easily bump that multiplier up to 10, with no fuss?
E: Heh, that review says it supports 128 meg sticks max, I've got 3 256s in it. I didn't even know SDRAM came in 256 until I found these.

The reason I use this rig instead of just using something new, is that it's the same machine I first got in high school, so it has a bit of a nostalgia thing going on, plus it runs almost silent and I put an AWE64 in there for some old school PC Gaming bliss.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 24, 2012

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

So, got a question about going the other way- i.e downclocking.
I'm using some spare parts to make a cheapo spare TV, and want the computer driving the TV tuner to be as quiet as possible. I've put together some spare parts using a P4 3.2 HT. What I'm wondering is two things:
Does HT increase power usage in any measurable way?
How far can I downclock/undervolt this untill it becomes stupid (I.E the amount needed to undervolt more overweighs the amount of power usage, and thus heat, less.)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is there any way to change the FSB of a 440BX board without the option in the BIOS? I also checked for jumpers but didn't see anything.
I still have that Compaq Deskpro 6300EN, I put a P3 933 EB in it, but it's running at
100 mhz fsb instead of it's native, so it's running at 700 mhz. It would be nice to get the extra 233 out of it.