Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some people earlier were wondering about the longevity of AIO coolers. I've been running a coolermaster seidon 240m basically 24/7 since november 2013 and just jammed it onto my GPU which was thermal throttling all to hell. It knocked an R9 290x from 95*c and thermal throttling all over the place to 55*c with a 10% overclock after 5 years of use on a cpu. I've never opened it up, but I'm tempted to replace the fluid in it because it has been nearly 5 years now.

What's even more amazing is a put an old rear end air cooler after leveling and lapping it onto my i5 2500k and it's still holding firm at 4.6ghz after 7 years, topping out at 65*c. 7 years of abuse on the cpu, motherboard, and power supply and everything is still holding strong.

Now that i'm actually able to overclock the GPU, neither wattman nor afterburner let me adjust voltages beyond stock. Is there another utility all the cool kids are using?

e: Found the option in afterburner, but only 100mv, probably for the best.

Still, from 1000/1250 to 1180/1500 holding steady at 60*C maxed out with furmark. Definitely going to be noticable over throttling down to 925mhz.

e2: holy hell does that heat the room up in a hurry.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

.....but why?

unless you mean undervolting?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 8350 and 9590 aren't that far apart in real-life power consumption. I may be wrong here, but i think the 9590 is just a higher binned version of the same chip.

Chances are if the board will run with the CPU at all, it will limit it to what is safe, basically run the 9590 as an 8350. You could try to unvervolt and keep the same frequency if it lets you, 1.5375v to 1.425v isn't that far off.

What board specifically?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like the Rev 4+ supports it, the Rev 3 doesn't.

Undervolting alone is going to be difficulty because at this point it sounds like it will be unstable with too little OR too much voltage. I would definitely try starting at 1.425v which is the stock voltage of the 8350.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1506702-undervolting-fx-9590-yes-flank3r-want-back-overclock-net.html

This guy got down to 1.344v so i would imagine it shouldn't be too hard to keep it stable at stock clocks. People were probably clocking 8350s up to 4.7ghz on those boards before the revision 4s.

e: as evidenced by how hard i'm pushing old hardware, I'm an idiot, and would probably determine the highest voltage it's stable at and then see what kind of clocks i can crank it up to.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 8, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you check my link on the guy undervolting, it draws a higher voltage at idle than under load.

I would definitely try individually enabling turbo and cool and quiet mode to see if one of them specificially is causing the instability, get it stable, and then start lowering the voltage incrementally to see where you can remain stable. lower voltages almost always means lower temps.

Also 80*c still seems crazy high. I would definitely check first that your fan is plugged into the CPU fan header and not an aux header on the board, and then that it's properly seated.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might not be your issue, as you have a sandy bridge processor, but is the bios up to date? gigabyte boards had problems overclocking ivy bridge processors similar to what you're describing.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-ivy-bridge-processor-overclocking-proves-challenging-for-some-motherboard-makers_1917

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got a 240mm AiO cooling a space heater 300w TDP R9 290x with a 20% overclock, and it doesn't get over 60*C. I would imagine there's a tipping point in TDP where AiOs will clearly come out ahead, but i don't think you'll ever see it on a modern CPU.

e: I've also got 4x120 fans in and 3x120 fans out, all stead at 1500RPM. The only fan that ever throttles up is the lovely 80mm fan on the cheap CPU cooler. I would imagine overall airflow management plays a big role too.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 15, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hit an absolute wall at 4.7ghz on my 2500k. no way to get over it. different combinations of FSB clock and multiplier could get me 4.7 in different ways, but it just wouldn't do both at the same time.

userbenchmark still shows my processor in the 90th percentile overall which is quite amazing, and in the 98th percentile for 2500ks and the GPU in the 96th percentile for R9 290xs.

It's all still old, but still so powerful yet quiet. It's hard to even consider upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

realtemp and coretemp there both suggest it's only at 31% load.