Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've heard that Intel boards aren't as good for overclocking as, say, ASUS or MSI, but nothing particularly concrete with regards to actual results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
With the 3770k reviews making their rounds, this is a good read, as it describes how Ivy Bridge is a different to Sandy Bridge with regards to overclocking.

You can still get a respectable overclock of 4.5 GHz, though, how high a trivial overclock can be, it doesn't say. The biggest thing is that it really heats up with voltage increases. Running at 4.4 GHz, it reached ~79 degrees at 1.2V, compared to ~68 at 1.1V.

EDIT: According to this Tech Report article, they were able to push their 3770k to 4.4 GHz at stock, so I'd guess a ~4.2GHz should be attainable for most everyone.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 23, 2012

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

KillHour posted:

Edit:

Is there a reason you shouldn't up the bclk? I thought it was "Up the multiplier at your desired max voltage until you can't go any higher, then use the bclk to get every last Hz out of it."

With SNB/IVB, the whole platform is incredibly sensitive to the bclk. I don't remember the exact details, but things like the PCIe slots are running off of it, not just the CPU. So it's best to just not gently caress with it and deal with the small difference in overclock.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh I'd put the IHS back on. I just want to change the awful thermal paste application that Intel is apparently doing on IVB.

I've decided that I'm not going to make any change for now. I've got a friend building the exact same setup this week: SG-08, Asrock Z77E-ITX, and 3770k. Guess where he got his inspiration. :shobon:

If his results are similar to mine, I'll know that them's the breaks with Ivy Bridge. Man it'll be nice to have a control group.

This is still your "PC console" right? Have you turned off hyper threading? I'd imagine that'd give you some much needed thermal headroom.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Factory Factory posted:

Assuming the patent licensing cost isn't ridiculous, here's your next big thing in cooling.

I remember seeing that sometime last year here. It's really cool seeing how they've had some success going further with it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Agro ver Haus doom posted:

You have to realize that Prime is a stress test that blasts your CPU to 100% load and RAM takes a beating too. That said, you will never actually see this sort of stress and load in real world everyday use... not during a game or anything really.
That said, 64C is totally fine and nothing to be worried about at all.
Tighten those thumb screws down all the way, IMO, so that the heat sink is totally flush, smooth, and evenly balanced on your CPU.

Actually prime95 is a pretty good indicator of a typical max stress situation. I've seen my CPU temps match prime95 levels during the second pass of an h264 encode.

IntelBurnTest, on the other hand, is specifically designed to stress every single part of the CPU pipeline at once, and as a result, the temps are higher.

e:f;b

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo.

I decided to just back off a bit and aim for a 25% overclock instead of 33%, which means 4.25 GHz instead of 4.5 on the 3570K.

I don't think I'll really notice much marginal performance difference between the two (I can pretty much get a solid 60 FPS in any game at either speed) and at 4.25 GHz I haven't seen any temperatures above 60C from either IBT or long gaming sessions.

How exactly are you getting 4.25 GHz? Messing with BCLK is a bad idea with IVB because changing it from 100MHz can very quickly make your whole system unstable.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

So my parts are getting here two days early (Yay UPS) and I am wondering how long I should let the computer sit at stock speeds before trying to overclock? I remember hearing something about letting the thermal grease have time to set in or something.

When I put together my system last fall, I basically did all my Windows updates, then immediately went into overclocking. IIRC, letting the thermal grease will lower temps by at most a couple degrees Celsius, so it really isn't a big deal one way or the other.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Go ahead and try it with a 20x multiplier then, this is a black edition Phenom which means all you really need to do is just raise the multi.

You will probably need a voltage above 1.4v. Do not pass 1.55 if you're air cooled. If it boots then run prime95 for a couple of hours and make sure there's no errors or workers dropping. Most of the time you BSOD if you need more voltage or a lower clock speed.

Watch temperatures, do not let it go past 60c while stressing.

That doesn't sound right to me. He's overclocking a Phenom 2, which is made from a 45nm process. Doesn't that give him more leeway for high thermals compared to IVB/SNB, where 70°C is still safe?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Speaking of cooler performance, what is a good site for cooler benchmarks/reviews?

For heatsink reviews, I always go to http://www.frostytech.com/. It's really nice because in their latest reviews, they include graphs with all the other heatsinks they've reviewed.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

SocketSeven posted:

I saw some review site use mayo as a thermal interface material. It worked surprisingly well, but they did not test it's long term endurance. :)

I remember seeing that. I think FF joked that we should then use DBM as the unit for how good any thermal paste is. Degrees Below Mayo

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Factory Factory posted:

Now that you mention it, my fans do seem to be spinning backwards.

That's just an illusion from them spinning so fast. You see, it's an integer overflow glitch. Your BCLK is actually set at 6488.1 MHz, but it displays incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is an interesting development. Apparently ASRock has figured out how to overclock K-series Haswell CPUs on B85 and H87 mobos. I didn't notice any manual settings for the overclock though. I wonder if there will be any developments for non-k CPUs, like setting them to the max turbo bin as you could for SNB and IVB.