Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm kinda new to overclocking here, and I'm wondering the consequences of overclocking my HD6950. I already have the additional shaders unlocked, and I would like to bump the clokcs and voltage up to 6970 levels. Will this damage my card in the long term? Its a Sapphire, so it is at least a good card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

grumperfish posted:

It's fairly easy, especially if you're already unlocked. 880/1325 or 880/1350 on my card (XFX) only needed a small voltage bump to 1.1V which didn't add much heat with the reference cooler (using 950/1350 @ 1.2V now with better cooling though).

Download the MSI Afterburner beta and modify the Afterburner .ini to enable overclocking beyond the CCC per:
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182403

You can disable ULPS as they've mentioned but it's not strictly necessary with a single card. It may do nothing, or it might increase stability, so that step is skippable.

Install the AB beta and reboot when it asks you to do it. After that you'll want to play around with overclocking in AB. You should enable voltage modification in settings as you'll probably need to lock it at 1.1V to get the card up to 880mhz core clocks (keep voltage monitoring disabled if you're using HWiNFO though as it'll already give you a readout). Setting a manual fan profile in Afterburner is a good plan when overclocking (check the settings menu) as the stock fan profile will let the card get too hot and then ramp up the fan at 70C. You'll want the fan to go up in steps, so at 50C you'd want it running at ~medium speed then around 70C you'd want it running pretty high as you'd be nearing the card's temperature limits. The "K" button on the left side of Afterburner's menu will run Kombuster which, like furmark, will stress the card allowing you to test your clocks/fan profile.

Without increasing powertune levels you can reasonably get up to ~900mhz (although 840-880 is safer) at 1.1V-1.17V, but beyond that you'll be hitting the card's TDP limits. Increasing the powertune levels will allow you to go higher, although you'll also see alot more heat, which is problematic with the stock cooler as it'll mean the fan will be running at a higher speed more often. The VRAM will (safely) top out around 1400mhz-1425mhz on a 6950, but in my experience there's really no benefits to running it beyond 1350mhz as you'll see more benefits from core overclocking.

You may also want to grab HWiNFO64 to monitor temperatures (including VRM temperatures which AB won't give you) while you're setting up a fan profile in Afterburner.

Oh ok, thanks. I already had the clocks and voltages saved as a profile in Sapphire Trixx though. Would you recommend using Afterburner over Trixx?

Also, I just want to be clear on this, as long as I keep everything in check, temps and voltage, this won't hurt my card permanently?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I played with Trixx, and I have my 6950 running stable at 880/1325/1.14v. It runs Battlefield fine, temps stay under 60 and no hiccups. When I run Uningine Heaven though, sometimes (uncommonly) I get screen flashes during the benchmark. Settings for that are everything at highest except no AA. Is this bad?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

grumperfish posted:

Screen flashes are a little unusual but it doesn't sound like GPU artifacts. It's probably not anything to worry about if the card's working fine in games.

It flashed when I ran without any overclocking, but it was a little rarer. It wasn't doing it a lot, just like once every just maybe 5 or so times in the entire benchmark (with OC).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

FormerFatty posted:

I had flashes every 30 minutes or so which eventually turned out to be caused by my cheap HDMI cable. If you have this problem, don't waste your money on an expensive cable, just buy another $5 HDMI cable from somewhere else and you should be fine.

I'm not using HDMI, it's actually a VGA monitor. Think that's the case then?

e: Regardless, I'm not worried about it, everything seems stable and running fine, so thanks to everyone's help.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok, question. What keeps resetting my voltages? every so often I'll look at Trixx, and voltage has reset to 1.1v, but the clocks stay 880/1325. I just reload the profile and it stays that way. Could Catalyst be affecting this?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

grumperfish posted:

I noticed something similar when I was using Afterburner with the CCC loaded (before I reloaded the non-CCC drivers), where the GPU voltage was dropping back to 1.1V randomly.

Will your card not run 880mhz at 1.1V, or does it need the additional bump to 1.14V for stability?

Actually, I don't know, that was the voltage some people mentioned a while back when I unlocked the shaders. I'll see if it does stay stable on 1.1.

Edit: Apparently no, it won't. 1.11v seems fine so far. Bumped everything up to 900/1350 as well.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 13, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Small question about a really modest overclock, 4.2ghz on an i5-3570K. I have an Asrock Extreme4 Z77, and don't know if I should be using the Turbo 4.2ghz setting or straight up changing the multiplier to 42. Also, how do I lock the voltage at stock? Both of those options raise it automatically to 1.275 instead of the normal 1.2.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

You can't overclock without using Turbo. If it shows you that happening, it's just an abstraction for your benefit. You do want to overclock without the per-core frequencies, however.

For voltage, you probably don't want to use fixed voltage, because that disables many of the chip's power-saving features. But the control is just further down the OC Tweaker page, after you get past the RAM timings. You'll find CPU Core Voltage and CPU LLC right next to each other.

E: Wait, poo poo, that was for the P67 Extreme4. Urgh... I hate Googling UEFI guides.

DE: Just futz around with the BIOS and check out every option page.

For the turbo, it was an OC option called "Load Optimized Turbo", and it auto-set the multiplier at 42. I have no idea what it changes aside from setting all cores multiplier to 42

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ok, thanks guys. Now I just need to hunt around the settings and limit the voltage, unless you think 1.275 would be safe for a 24/7 overclock? You said under 1.3 should be good, and I have power saving on so it downclocks to 1.6 when I'm not doing anything intensive.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I was doing some experimenting last night on an i5-3570K and ASRock Extreme4, ended up after a 12 hours Prime 92 Large FFT test with one core erroring after 17 minutes, was at 4.2 with voltage offset to be at stock, LLC at level 3. What I noticed was that my BLCK was at 100.5. I reset everything to stock, and BLCK is still at 100.5, despite being set to 100 in the bios. What is going on here? Is it even a problem?

Edit: What is the voltage limit for IVB anyways? I'd like to do 4.4-ish increasing as little voltage as possible.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 31, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So I just got an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, paired with a Core i5 3750k with a Coolermaster 212 Evo installed. Is there any reason not to use the overclocking software that Asrock included instead of doing things through the BIOS, in terms of stability or whatnot? The last time I had a PC where overclocking was worthwhile was back in the days of Mobile Bartons.

I have the exact same setup. Just go into the bios, set the multiplier to 4.3, voltage offset to +0.05 or +0.10 (don't remember where mine is), you'll be good.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Yeah, I think I figured out what my problem was, I had too much thermal paste on, cleaned it and put on a smaller amount, hopefully that fixes things.

I can't remember what my IBT temps were (I want to say high 70's low 80's like you), but it runs mid-high 60's on BF3 and similar games for reference.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I was messing around with a CPU overclock the other night, and ended up making my system unbootable (into Windows, it was able to POST just fine). I repaired the boot files with a Windows 7 CD, but did I permanently mess anything up?

Also, why does it seem like my motherboard is giving too much voltage? Offset +0.005 gives it 1.275 at load on a 4.3GHz OC on a i5-3570K and ASRock Extreme4 Z77

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

No, using the repair fixed it, I was just wondering if anything like my files or program were corrputed.

Also, every voltage monitoring I used read 1.264v @ 4.4GHZ and -0.005 offset this time.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Exactly how important are WHEA errors? I did a quick Prime95 test, and it showed a bunch of WHEA errors, and was going to run a longer test overnight.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Alright, so apparently my new Gigabyte 7950 is voltage locked. Is that a bios thing where switching to the alternate one via a switch solves it, or is it hardware locked? It's not a huge deal, I can still play BF3 at 1100/1400 and sometimes Sleeping Dogs (it seems a tiny bit crash happy with any overclock, haven't actually tried it with stock clocks much though), just wanted to see how much I could do with a tiny voltage bump. Even more interesting being that the card runs at 1.09v instead of what I assume is the normal 1.1v.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

The CM M4 is not good. It'll barely handle a 95W CPU at stock clocks, never mind an overclocked Ivy Bridge. The Scythe Big Shuriken 2 is still the king of the hill.

Speaking of cooler performance, what is a good site for cooler benchmarks/reviews?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

craig588 posted:

Give the Vcore another .005, you're not near any sort of warning zone for IVB voltage yet. Instability can make you second guess everything if you ever encounter a problem with anything in the future. (Was it my overclocking? Did I leave too many tabs open? Do I need to update my drivers? Is is a legitimate bug? etc)

What is the warning voltage for Ivy anyways? I've been at 4.3 @ 1.24 since it launched.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I finally got my NH-U12S today to replace my clicking Hyper 212+, and :stare: holy hell this thing is quiet. I'm used to my Hyper 212+ being stuck on full (some weird bug with Extreme4 Z77s I guess?), and with this cooler, variable fan speeds are actually possible. Also shaved a few degrees of my IBT temps, ran 4.4 @ 1.255 (normally I'm at 4.3 @ 1.230) at low-mid 80s instead of low 90's, and much, much quieter.

And now I'm annoyed at how loud HDDs are :smith:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Just wait until you strap a custom cooler on the videocard and start getting :tinfoil: about any sounds coming from the PC whatsoever.

I've thought about getting one actually, a 7950 at 1100 can get sorta warm.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Siochain posted:

I just went from a custom-cooled 6950 (still working, but the digital outputs died, so its being used by the wife) to a 7950, not custom-cooled. Its so loud :( I'm getting really close to picking up a cooler for it. But I'm waiting for one more generation of card, then I'll do it.

Luckily Gigabyte's Windforce cooler is pretty good and relatively quiet. Much better than the Sapphire 6950 and it's cooler it replaced.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Finally got a NH-D14 to replace my Hyper 212+. Doesn't come with PWM fans though :(

I'm pretty impressed. Ran my i5-3570K (that is a horrible OC-er) through 10 runs of IBT at 4.4ghz and 1.31v, only cracked 100C a couple times. Even a 12 hour Prime95 run ran high 80's, this time with the ULN adapter. Hopefully they release a mounting system for whatever socket Skylake uses, would love to keep this thing when I upgrade.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

craig588 posted:

Those voltages and temperatures are both really high. You probably want to drop down a multiplier or two unless you're planning on buying a new CPU soon.

It's not running those voltages 24/7, just when under load. so that's fine, right?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

They will. Noctua are pretty good about supporting their gear.

Awesome. I was thinking about replacing the fans eventually. Any good PWM fans cheaper (and preferably quieter) than Noctua's F12 and whatever the 140mm equivalent is?

Factory Factory posted:

Ehhh. That does help, don't get me wrong, and most people don't actually do the "100% load 24 hours a day" type loading that a 24/7 overclock is geared to, but you are around the range where if you need to keep using the chip 4-5 years down the line, you suddenly might not be able to. Three years if you're unlucky, and with a chip that doesn't clock well to begin with, you may well be unlucky.

Hmm. Might back down to the old 4.3 @ 1.24 I had going. I keep hitting that voltage wall once I try to go above it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

lovely Treat posted:

Ran it on my AMD rig just for fun

1090T @ 3.8GHz 43 seconds
HD 7950 11 seconds

Your result is confusing with my results.

i5 3570K @ 4.3GHz - 31
HD7950 @ 1050/1375MHz - 13s

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Well theres why the Titan scores are so low, its only being tapped for a 1/4 of its potential with the CPUs its been paired with. Still not sure if its a code bottleneck or CPU bottleneck or something else.

Well, did the save again with my 7950 and i5 again, got a time of 12 seconds. Both GPU-Z and HWiNFO64 showed 0% GPU load, and clocked at 300/150 (idle clocks). Ran again, got 11 seconds with full clocks and 28% load. I'm confused.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Did you run the GPU optimization pre step? You can check the registry too as thats where it keeps the results of its own GPU analysis.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BenVista\Common\Benchmarks\YOUR_GPU_MODEL

edit: Might even be able to get better results by dicking around in there but those values are computationally derived during the pre optimization step.

Not prior to this test (I assume switching off GPU optimization resets it?), but it was run before the one you included in the chart. Went ahead and ran again, same results. Hovered between 25-28%, time was 11 seconds.

Edit: Oh wait, that's 2 seconds faster? All I'm doing is saving that drat stock photo, I don't want to potentially screw up your results :ohdear:

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 27, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

LCD Deathpanel posted:

I've seen something similar happen in HWiNFO, where the fields for my videocard (6970) will occasionally report impossible voltage minimums and maxes coming out of standby (like, voltages that would fry the VRM chips immediately if they were actually happening, and not a sensor read malfunction).

If it happened coming out of standby/sleep mode it's more than likely a sensor being misreported or a glitch of some kind, since 2.0V being fed to the CPU is incredibly unlikely unless something is very, very wrong with your motherboard.

Yeah HWiNFO seems glitchy sometimes. The past nearly a year I've lived with a 7950 pulling around 20000-30000W after a bios flash. Sometimes it fixes itself, sometimes it shows those values.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Quick question. I have a GTX780 and a locked i5 running on a 450W supply (not some no name one, don't remember the name off hand just trust me). I haven't tried overclocking the 780, what are my limits? Or should I just not try anything. I'm so used to my old 7950 and a 650W where I could do anything.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Oh, well that's cool, thank you.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I have a question. I have one of those Steam Machine beta units, and eventually (Skylake-ish?) I'll need to upgrade the processor. My question is how I can do any sort of good cooling or water cooling. I've never worked in anything this small or with water. Here's what I'm working with:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Oh ok, I can live with an external radiator. As long as I have a small case to cart between my TV and my computer desk I'm good. Water cooling would also be possible for my GPU by adding it to the loop too correct?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

How necessary is delidding to get an 8086K to all core 5ghz? The last thing I overclocked was a 3570K so I'm very out of practice

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Which small motherboard would be best power-wise for a 5ghz 8086K? I'm leaning towards the Asrock Z370 mITX Fatal1ty and the EVGA Z370 mATX. It'll be going into a Meshify Mini C case, so mATX is the biggest I can go.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 13, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

mewse posted:

The two you just mentioned are both listed as "top of midrange" on this chart. Upper tier looks like all ATX boards.

So is that bad? The 8086K should be binned to not need ridiculous voltage right?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

mewse posted:

No they should be very good, the top range stuff is for absurd stuff like liquid nitrogen OCs and the bottom range has awful poo poo like missing heatsinks. Top of midrange should provide very good overclocking.

Ah, ok thanks, that's what I thought. My only concern I guess is the lack of USB 3.1 but I don't think that'll be too much of an issue. All EVGA Z370 seem to lack it?

Edit: Guess my other choices are the MSI Z370 Gaming Pro AC or an Asus Strix Z370-G, but I'd maybe be better off with the EVGA

Edit 2: The CPU itself will be delidded and cooled by a Scythe Mugen Rev B

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 14, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Either the Asrock ITX board or the EVGA Z370 Micro should be perfectly fine. Component-wise I personally would have a slight preference for the EVGA board, but I don't know what their BIOSes are like. The Strix Z370-G is overpriced for what you get and I don't have a great deal of faith in MSI's BIOSes (I'm assuming you meant the MSI Z370 Gaming Pro AC).

Oops yeah, meant the MSI one. A high end tower should be sufficient for my plan, right? I'd prefer to stay on air but if water is necessary I'll go that route.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What do people recommend for stability testing? I want to test some 8086K overclocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks, that's what I've been coming up with too. I did find a guide from der8auer saying Prime95 with 1344 min and max should be used. So far I can only pass it at 5.0ghz and 1.32v. I think I got a bad 8086K :(

Sidenote, not really a fan of ASRock's settings. I'm using offset voltage at -140 (I think, might be -150) which actually increases voltage to what I want? That plus LLC in the middle gives me roughly 1.32v

Another sidenote, I should be ignoring VID in hwinfo right? Anytime I use offset it gives me like between 1.4 and 1.5v, but vcore is giving me the right voltage, as in CPUZ also gives me the correct 1.32v core