Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

thats a pretty excellent guide.

My ram is rated at 3000 but my mobo says it can go up to 3866 on the box. Does that mean I can potentially overclock that ram up to 3866 or do I have to buy ram rated at 3866?

If your RAM ran with any stability at a higher speed, they'd have sold it at a higher speed.
They may well retard it by one tick from stable (e.g. tests at 3200 maximum, sell at 3000) but there won't be any significant gains anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can typically get 4.7 from 1.35v - your issue is almost certainly overvoltage, not under.
There's almost entirely no risk from undervolting.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yep, my mistake. He mentioned more aggressive voltage in the context of the power setting, but suggested raising the power limit.

I don't have great airflow, but I'll keep an eye on temps using Rivatuner. Is there a non-torture test program that I should run to test how hot it will get?

Run a torture test.
Furmark will plot a temperature curve for you so you can see where it plateaus.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just an FYI but avx instructions are only not used because they're new. They're a new way of getting more performance, so expect things to use them.
Handbrake already uses them for some encodes, so if you need to do video encoding consider a separate overclock or stock for that specific task.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

But is avx handbrake equivalent to avx prime95?
'worst' to best for thermal load:

old prime 95 > handbrake with AVX > prime95 with AVX

There's a bigger gap between AVX and not and prime or not, at least on skylake.