Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just realized I never overclocked my i5 2500k. I have a Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 mobo. I reading and is it really just as simple as changing my multiplier from 33 to 40? Looks like I can do a mild overclock on just the stock cooler. Planning on running some of that programs in the op to check for stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
So I have had a 2500k in the wifey's computer for the past 4 years or so and have never overclocked before. I went ahead and bought a Pure Rock Be Quiet! cooler to replace the stock Intel and decided to see if I could give this puppy a bit of an OC. It's running on a gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 Bios F7. I went ahead and just set the multiplier to 43 for the time being and didn't mess with any of the voltage settings, they are all left on auto. Running Prime95 Blend the temps are looking pretty good, staying in the mid 50s to low 60s but the VID stays sitting around 1.36 to 1.376 and I am wondering if that voltage is safe for this chip? Vcore is sitting around 1.26/1.27. I honestly have no idea. I am using HWINFO64 to monitor temps and voltages

Secondly I did OC the RAM from 1333 to 1600. I ran memtest86 overnight for about 12 hours and that showed no errors so I assume that my RAM overclock should be fine then.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 22, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

If it's still set to auto then it should be running at stock voltage. Those numbers don't sound like anything unusual to me so I think you're just fine. You can quite likely go higher, I have the same chip at stock voltage too and it's been set to 44x for years with a Hyper 212. Tcase for the 2500k is 72C so that's the temperature you should try not to exceed.

If the RAM got through memtest and Prime95 just fine then I would consider it stable until seeing evidence that it isn't, and it's reasonable to expect that a lot of 1333MHz kits could do 1600 no problem.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Ill probably try 44 or 45 here, pretty amazing how much extra life you can get our of a five year old chip!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
So I have been tinkering with my new skylake build. It's a MSI Z170A SLI and i7-6700k with the cryorig H7 cooler. Been running at 4.6ghz so far with my vcore set to adaptive with offset. Set my voltage to 1.3 with a offset of +0.04. Everything seems stable so far with my voltage bouncing between 1.336 and 1.4 with temps hovering between 60 and 70 C. I have only been using the intel XTU to stress test at the moment and gaming has been stable. Does this sound reasonable or is there anything else I should be trying?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I only got my 5820K to 4.13 GHz at 1.3V Vcore with everything else at defaults/auto. Any point to messing around with uncore or memory timings or anything like that to get it a little farther? Is it safe/productive to push up to say 1.35V on Haswell-E?

My idle power consumption went way up too. Is there any way to make it so that it'll only step up the voltage when it advances the multiplier? Ideally it would be nice to have a separate Vcore for each multiplier setting...

My motherboard had an options to set a base vcore and then add a positive offset. So base vcore is 1.3 + 0.035. It still drops the voltage below 1 when its not loaded.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I think liquid metal works best with delidding. Saw a 20C drop in temps replacing it and using mx4 between the IHS and heat sink.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Only a few hours of testing down, but seems like I've got a pretty stable 5.2GHz @ 1.375v on a 9700k with max temps in the low 70s. Was able to run some benchmarks at 5.3GHz, but it required pushing voltage to 1.5 and temps got up to the 90s.

Is that with the x72 you said you ordered?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Question for the overclocking thread; I've got a 9900k in a gigabyte Z390 aorus master, and 32 GB of g.skill (F4-3200C14D-32GVK). G.skill has the motherboard in their QVL, however gigabyte does not have the memory in theirs, but they do have the quad channel kit of the same memory. In order to get it working in XMP I had to override VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.3v each, 1.25 managed a POST but locked up, anything less than that wouldn't POST at all (I didn't test them separately yet). There is a fair amount of conflicting information online, some topics say "1.25 max for daily use" others say "1.35 is the limit of the Intel spec". My previous 7700k system in an Asus board ran both at upwards of 1.33v automatically when in XMP mode and never experienced any issues even after a couple years of running 24/7. So is 1.3v going to cause issues down the line, or is it safe to set it and forget it? Should I try lowering one or the other to see which one actually needs it the most?

You could try disabling Xmas and manually entering the primary timings and see if that helps, plug in your 3200 speed and enter the main timings the kit is rated for, for example 16-16-16-36 or whatever they may be. You could try playing with the dram voltage as well and see if it lets you back down the VCCIO and VCCSA.

I had to manually entree my 2x8 3733 kit to get it to work with my Z370 taichi/9900k combo. Can use it at VCCIO 1.15 and VCCSA 1.2

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The Grinches memory clocks grew three times that day.

Hah, best auto correct ever.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Wengy posted:

Got a 9900k on sale and basically just put the multiplier to 47. What else should I change in the BIOS to accommodate this type of mild overclock?

Well the stock all core turbo is 4700 MHz and stock two two core turbo is 5000 MHz for the 9900k. Setting your all core multiplier to 47 is actually making your cpu slower when its using only a few cores.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Wengy posted:

lol, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the heads up. So it would make more sense to just set it to an even 50?

50 all core seems to be what more people are aiming for. I’m mostly looking for silence in my builds these days and undervolt both my cpu and GPU. Running stock I can drop my 9900k down to 1.168V, much lower than what my board was giving it on auto, 1.3V or so.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Could be VRM throttling as well, not sure how good the boards vrms are.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Right but if you've paid the big money for the modern cards isn't it worth it to get all the FPS you can out of it considering the difference between doing so and not doing so is probably $5 a month in electricity?

It’s not necessarily about saving $. Boost 3.0 will start dropping clocks as the temps go up. Most pascals GPUs hit 1.043/1.05V at stock, often you can cap your V at 0.983-1.0V and still maintain the same clocks due to lower temps.

Lower temps let folks run lower fan speeds as well for better silence. I’m long past the days of shoving all the voltage I can and cranking the fan speed for the last 4% of performance

My 1080t runs 1950mhz @ 1.0V, overclocking only nets me 2012 @1.083V but comes with much more heat and nose from running the fans faster. With this mild undervolt I can run my fans at 50% and never hear it.

Same with my 9900k. I run the stock 4.7ghz all core with 1.168V. Heatsink and case fans run at 750 rpm and I can never hear them. Silence is bliss for this old geriatric.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Seems like the latest AGESA version AMD sent to vendors is fairly flaky at the moment, a fair number of folks are having RAM issues right now. Probably will need to wait for a bios fix.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 26, 2019

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I have an odd occurrence while messing around with my 9900k on an ASRock z370 taichi, maybe someone can shed some light on it.

While messing around with undervolting, fixed mode vcore of 1.25 with LLC 1 will put 1.216V into the cpu with a cpu package power of 250W or so in Prime95 small FFT with AVX. If I set voltage to offset mode with a negative 40 mV offset LLC 3 I still get 1.216V as reported hwinfo64 but packager power is closer to 300W. I confirmed the difference using a kill-a-watt meter at the wall and it’s accurate.

I have no idea why offset mode would draw so much power versus fixed at the same voltage output.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 21, 2019

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I know that coffee lake comprises more than just the 9900k but I'd be pretty surprised if many people can run at 1.4v with the 9900k even with doing some serious custom loop cooling and even then I feel like you'd need to remove the solder TIM and replace it with liquid metal etc etc.

Using the 'flattest' LLC you can still seems the best option with incremental increases of vcore unless I'm misreading that post?

Even deliding only nets you another 5C or so based on what I’ve seen. Like you said nearly everyone will run into temp issues before voltage becomes the problem, custom loops included.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

poverty goat posted:

I'm not overclocking at this point but this might be a better thread to ask- I want to use software to drive a PWM pin for my case fans based on either cpu or gpu activity. Any suggestions?

currently running stock cooling on a 3800x instead of my nh-d14 because noctua snailmails the new mounting kits from austria and it's late :argh:

Argus monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Some really lovely wiring if an overclocked 9700K makes your light flicker.