Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey y'all!

I built a new computer recently (specs here, but long story short, followed all the recommendations for overclockable funbox) and I finally decided to try to overclock.

I read the OP, opened up the bios, and saw this:

Am I even in the right place? What should I be changing?

Edit: Also, I have a i5-2500k, the packaging says 3.3ghz ... but this says 3.7. Hmmm. Maybe it overclocked itself :D

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dogen posted:

Uh... so... Intel board. Haven't seen one of those.

So the 37 is what a single core will turbo up to under normal circumstances.

So I guess you want to change the maximum non-turbo ratio to... whatever you want it to be. 40, 42, 44, whatever. I'm just guessing here.

Interesting. Are they horribly bad or something?

I figured it's from Intel, it can't be bad, it wasn't bottom of the barrel, and it had positive reviews. And it was a P67.

Edit: Oh, and that makes sense. It's set to turbo up to 3.7, but it runs non-turbo at 3.3. Got it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Yeah, Intel sticks to reference VRM designs. Good quality parts, but still 4+1 phase.

What you're going to need to do is change the following settings:
  • TDC current limit override - ramp it up a good amount. As high as it can go wouldn't hurt, but 125A would work, too. You won't reach that limit, but at 97A you might.
  • Turn off Burst Mode under Turbo Boost.
  • Also under Turbo Boost, set the Sustained Mode Time as high as it will go, and change the power limit (it's in Watts) to at least 150W. Again, as high as it can go can't hurt; the equivalent setting gets flipped to 255W on Asus boards.
  • Finally, you'll overclock by changing the 4-core ratio limit to the multiplier you want. Make sure all the other limits are the same.
It looks like you don't have direct control over the voltage offset, so you're going to have to just watch the core voltage and temperature and take what you can get. If you can't get a stable overclock even though you have Vcore and temp headroom, you might try adjusting the Voltage Offset under the Turbo Boost settings. Remember that 100mV = 0.1V
Thank you! Nice and easy advice. edit: gently caress it, trying now. We shall see!

Edit again: Made those changes, doesn't seem to have done anything - Windows still sees 3.3, and HWiNFO64 says it peaks at ~3.7. Edit again: Oh, lame. Can't increase the Max Non-Turbo Ratio above 33. So I guess I can't over clock?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 28, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My new settings:

Looks like that Voltage offset is there (highlighted). What should that be set to?