Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emanuel Yam
Aug 22, 2004

Take it from our drummer, 'Puff'
Being good it gets you stuff
I recently bought a new desktop with the following components:

INTEL CORE i5 2500K 3.3GHz 6MB
CORSAIR COOLING HYDRO H60
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 MOBO
THORTECH THUNDERBOLT 850W 80PLUS GOLD PSU

It gets here tomorrow and I'm a total scrub when it comes to computers but ive been learning a bit in the last week reading this forum/system building stuff.

I want to know whether the OP was being facetious with the 'Set the CPU multiplier to 42, save and exit' advice? Because i dont really want to crank it too much before i really know what im doing but it seems crazy not to go for a near 1 ghz increase for so little effort.. do i need to adjust anything else in the BIOS? is it not that simple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Yam
Aug 22, 2004

Take it from our drummer, 'Puff'
Being good it gets you stuff

Dogen posted:

With that setup, you should be fine. Why the hilarious power supply?

Cause i didnt know any better when i ordered it (it was the suggested model for the moderate gamer) only realising later it might be a _tad_ overkill