Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Been a while since I messed with overclocking -- I've got a 9700k with a MAG Z390 Tomahawk -- is the OP still accurate so far as principles are concerned? Any air cooling recommendations with a ATX mid-tower case (Fractal R5)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheFluff posted:

Most of the principles I'd say are accurate still, but the practical side of things has generally been streamlined quite a bit these days. For a daily overclock you don't really want to disable any of the power management features (C-states, etc) or set a fixed vcore voltage. Basically, you want to use adaptive vcore mode, and the knobs you can tweak are basically the frequency multiplier, the target vcore voltage at the max boost frequency, the power limit and the load line calibration (don't go too high with this, leave it at one of the middle settings). Don't gently caress with the bus clock (BCLK), leave it at 100MHz or you're likely to get all sorts of weird issues with PCIe devices and other peripherals. And make sure you are clear on the difference between VID (basically target Vcore) and actual Vcore and that you're reading the right values in HWinfo64.

Noctua NH-D15 is the gold standard of air cooling. Main downside is that it's big, heavy and sort of expensive, but it's a really solid buy and can almost certainly be carried over to your next build - the warranty for the fans is like 6 years IIRC and if your next build's CPU socket has an incompatible mounting system they've historically had a standing offer to ship you mounting brackets for new sockets for free as long as you have proof of original purchase.

This owns.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Noctua fans anyways so awesome. Glad I got a full tower now because that cooler looks thicc in the best way.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I slapped an NH-U14S TR4 into my system. It has a 140mm Noctua fan (obviously). Dear God in heaven is that an annoying sounding fan when at speed. Sucks that the 140mm variant of that A12x25 is still scheduled for 2021. While those A12x25 aren't exactly dead silent when pushing air, they only sound like white noise and don't hum like that NF-A15 that's the cooler shipping with.

I went through my formative years with a computer that had fans that sounded like low powered buzzsaws— the fan sounds have always been calming white noise for me.

Kinda like a happy ASMR thing almost.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

*sniffs*

Mmmm, that vintage 1995 BIOS