Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ghostpilot posted:

Hey now, don't forget exposed cores and high-tensioned mounting clips on mammoth-sized heatsinks!

lovely plastic lugs, and having to push really hard on a stupid bent piece of metal with a screwdriver were just awful things about old heatsinks.

Then again, Intel pushpins aren't much good either. Well, they're OK the first time, but you bet your rear end it'll be broken the second time you try to fit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

^^ Ahh, goddamnit, sorry. Disregard this; great OP, by the way.

I'll pitch the Corsair A70 again, since I'm sure it's pretty drat good value/performance.
That said, it is very nice that the Hyper 212 comes with a PWM fan, which is probably just going to be easier to get going with out of the box. Corsair needs to have a good think about that..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 8, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bad Coffee posted:

Stupid question - if I overclock a 2500k, will that drastically affect its power draw at idle? I'm a little confused by the distinction between idle/regular/turbo modes and because I usually leave my computer on 24/7 I don't want to mess with anything that could cause it to suck down 200W all the time.

If you do it in the way described in the OP, it won't affect your idle draw.

Everyone here with a 2500K or 2600K could almost certainly testify that when idling, it drops back to 1.6GHz, regardless of their Turbo setting.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

4800 what? 4830? 4850? 4870? 4890? There are substantial performance differences between them which will dictate whether or not what you want to do is possible. In addition, I believe the 4890 has more overclocking headroom than the others.

Unless it's the XFX 4890, which I had. It had cheap analogue VRMs that were uncooled, and didn't like it when you did.. anything in the way of overclocking.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dogen posted:

With that setup, you should be fine. Why the hilarious power supply?

As crazy as the branding sounds, here it is on Jonny Guru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=205

Well, the 800W version, but for a lesser known PSU, it doesn't seem like a PoS.

Unless you knew that and you just simply meant that you don't need an 850 Watt power supply. Hey, he doesn't mention what graphics card, which is the most power hungry part.

Emanuel Yam posted:

I want to know whether the OP was being facetious with the 'Set the CPU multiplier to 42, save and exit' advice? Because i dont really want to crank it too much before i really know what im doing but it seems crazy not to go for a near 1 ghz increase for so little effort.. do i need to adjust anything else in the BIOS? is it not that simple?

No jokes. It is that simple. 4.3/4.4 are usually obtained without much more hassle, 4.5 is hit by a lot of samples, but going much beyond that is usually more hassle than is worthwhile. Sandy Bridge is a fantastic performer as it is.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 21, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dogen posted:

Well my boss got a kill a watt for work and I tested my overclocked 580 GTX/2500k setup to see how much of my 1000 watts of platinum power are being used under a full load of crysis 2.

The answer is, about 400, or a good chunk less than half. Intelburntest, runs about 215. Full system idles at about 95. At least the fan never comes on, I guess. Impulse buys :sigh:

Never read hardware review sites late at night while on cold medicine.

Also an interesting note, the dynamic VRM phase turning off dealie that came with this video card actually does save about 4 watts of power, I just assumed it was negligible.

680s? Nah, to make use of that power you want to downgrade to 480 SLI.

Yeah, I have a case absolutely packed with hard drives, an unlocked Radeon 6950 and an overclocked 2500K, and it doesn't burn through all that much power. I think the Seasonic X-660 running it is basically the perfect size for it. I'm pretty sure my (don't laugh) Radeon 2900XT used more power.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

craig588 posted:

This pisses me off way more than it should. The water block isn't that well designed, and those cards could already max out their clock generator after a volt mod with just air cooling. I wouldn't care at all, except for everyone getting so excited about it in that thread.
Edit: Hahaha, he PAID someone to make that, it wasn't even a home project.

He had the money, and now he no doubt has an extremely badass (but completely useless) 3Dfx card. Not sure why that'd piss you off.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I think the Noctua fans look really nice, if I'm honest. I still think the NH-D14 is the halo air cooler, and I think the build quality/looks and design make it my favourite. I very much doubt you can achieve significantly more than the NH-D14, because you're limited by form factor and weight.

vv I don't have an NH-D14. I wasn't recommending it to all. I was simply commenting on which air cooler is considered best.
I have a Corsair A70, which represents fantastic value for money

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 29, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Actually, Asus BIOSes do commit one cardinal sin: the first time you tweak any setting related to RAM or CPU, it automatically overclocks +4 bins and sets turbo to "by all cores"/lockstep multiplier without asking the user.

AnandTech calls it the world's most transparent attempt to look good in benchmarks.

I've seen abit boards of yore automatically apply a very mild overclock when left on default settings. I think I have a Pentium 4 abit board that does this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A shame really, they made some pretty fine boards, and their μGuru overclocking chip/system monitoring chip was really awesome. They always tended to have great fan control. Still, that's the way things go sometimes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, I'm not impressed with Ivy Bridge, and it's mainly a packaging issue. What the gently caress, Intel?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

On the SSD, why not
http://www.ebuyer.com/341349-kingston-120gb-v-200-ssd-2-5-sata-iii-svp200s3-120g

They're not in stock yet, but when you do get one, you simply cannot beat that price.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

tomm posted:

Probably go with this actually,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1

Mostly because it's in stock, but I've heard good things about this drive.

Hell, why not. I guess I was just trying to steer you towards a larger SSD. That's a good price.

On the 7850 front, that's the exact card I'd recommend at the moment, I doubt it's worth paying more for the OC edition since it's the same card. You could probably whack up some settings to get the same effect.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

So this is getting into more academic questions, but I'm curious now. I'm looking at the ASUS site and what makes the LX the chintzy one vs the LE, the straight up V, etc? Looking at them side by side, they only seem to vary in peripherals (extra connectors, different audio/lan chipset, etc). Did I just unluckily pick the 'worst' one of the group?

They differ in VRM phases, probably

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DrankSinatra posted:

So, I have a question. In my excitement to OMG BUY A PC RIGHT NOW STEAM SALE YEAH, I specced out a bunch of parts, but somehow missed the part where the 3570K's selling point was overclocking. I had ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212, for cooling, because why not, but I didn't really look for a case that was designed for cooling - mainly I looked for a non-hideous aesthetic, and some builder-friendly features.

I settled on the Fractal Design Define R4. In the building thread, and in all the reviews I read, they said it was fine cooling-wise for stock configurations, which is what I was originally shooting for.

Now that I know that my 3570K is designed to be overclockable, I kinda want to get some value out of that extra 30. With a CPU cooler like the one I purchased, and a case like mine, does anybody have a guesstimate at what sort of overclock I could expect to get while keeping my temperatures in check?

Also, I've never been too good with thinking about airflow in a PC - would the temperature of the CPU have a significant impact on a graphics card [Or vice versa]? I'm thinking no, since the PCI-E slots are located below the CPU, and besides that, the cooler on my GPU vents outwards, too.

Define R4 is a slightly refined version of the R3 which I have - it can be a perfectly good cooling beast if you crack the top two vents and have a side intake, for example.
I run it with the top vents and side vent closed for that extremely quiet idle experience: 2500K @ 4.3GHz / Radeon 6950 (not blower style).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

grumperfish posted:

Which specific 4870 is it? Some of them had weaker VRM sections and couldn't really tolerate overclocking well. 4870's and 4890's generally ran very warm unless they had custom manufacturer or aftermarket coolers.

Super-confirm this: I had an XFX 4890 which had a crappy VRM section which wasn't even heatsinked. It didn't overclock.

Also, hot. Very hot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

An Unoriginal Name posted:

No such thing as a 2400K unfortunately.

On the bright side the 3570K was a bigger step up than the 2500K and should last you a while.

Not compared to a 2500K overclocked, though, which would have saved him money for the performance, which is his point

Edit: but as pointed out, you do have a good CPU now and it would be worth simply saving up for a decent Z77 board

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fallows posted:

It idles lower than my room temp which blows my mind.

Uh, unless you have a compressor in your machine, or peltier cooling, you might want to think about what you just said

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Seems to, yes. This is why I asked.

Unless mainline x264 can use QuickSync, what does it matter? Does anyone really care about low quality, high speed transcoding on a desktop?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 15, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

RatherInsignificant posted:

Let me preface this, by saying I know little about overclocking. The processor I'll be using is the i7-3770K, and I want a small case so I'm getting a mATX board. The PC Building OP recommends the ASUS P8Z77-M for overclocking, but I saw the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro and it claims to allow for better voltage control by tacking on a TurboV Processing Unit (TPU). There's a few more extra bells and whistles like more ports and better SLI/Crossfire support, but I don't plan on using them. Is the M-Pro model safer/worth it for overclocking or should the standard M model still cut it? I know someone already asked this question, but he had a i5-3750K. Thanks!

I built my girlfriend's machine with an ASUS P8Z77-M and 3570K, it overclocked easily, I think it left it on something safe but worthwhile, like 4.2GHz. So there's a data point, for what it's worth.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

craig588 posted:

I remember somewhere in the prescott era was the first time I heard of someone ripping a die off because it was soldered to the IHS.

Prescott was a total waste of time, and I can barely believe Intel squeezed it out. Anyone who "upgraded" from Northwood to Prescott was pissing money up the wall, and heating their room.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

For all that Pentium 4 gets bashed as running hot, the TDP range for Prescott was only 84-115W. It's relatively easy to get a GPU that uses as much power as a stock-clocks Prescott system by itself. I think a lot of what has changed is better power supplies, better average power under moderate loads, and, most of all, better cooling technologies (like heatpipes).

I guess it's more that Prescott was slower for almost every type of workload than Northwood at the same clock, all while using more power. Even though it was made on a smaller process.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Here's a fun one, since I've been on an electronics kick recently: Overclocking the Game Boy Color:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwJQxD8LLNY

I'm surprised how high it goes without locking up! That's pretty awesome.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Finally got a NH-D14 to replace my Hyper 212+. Doesn't come with PWM fans though :(

I'm pretty impressed. Ran my i5-3570K (that is a horrible OC-er) through 10 runs of IBT at 4.4ghz and 1.31v, only cracked 100C a couple times. Even a 12 hour Prime95 run ran high 80's, this time with the ULN adapter. Hopefully they release a mounting system for whatever socket Skylake uses, would love to keep this thing when I upgrade.

They will. Noctua are pretty good about supporting their gear.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Not exactly what you were looking for, but what I have, so what the hell.

AMD Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970 @ 850/1300 (effectively a slightly underclocked 6970): 14 seconds
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.3GHz: 37 seconds

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

What was the 990X clocked at?

Edit: and how much did it lose by?

Double edit: found the thread on AnandTech, it's OK

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 26, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Why would a man leave his 990X at a stock and buy a Titan? The mind absolutely boggles. I bet he could beat the 8s score if he overclocked his 990X, or at least match it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The only thing I regret is that there are no 7970 results, paired with a high end Intel CPU.
Someone must have a 7970GE on this forum..

Edit: the most humiliating result must be that 660Ti beating a Titan with the different CPU. Jesus.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

If I may suggest one thing, how about colouring the GPU assisted bars one colour, and the CPU only bars another? May help with readability in terms of instantly seeing where they cross over.
This was an interesting test one way or another - a real world, obscure application which seems to make use of both the CPU and GPU in slightly odd measure.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

What I really want is a 5Ghz Haswell with HT and a 780 even though the 780 might not be anywhere close to fully utilized.

Doesn't everybody? :D

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

LCD Deathpanel posted:

I'm still a little weirded-out that 4ghz+ desktop chips are not only common, but expected given a little overclocking.

You don't remember the 3.8GHz Prescotts? If you wanted to heat the earth and murder the VRMs on your board, you too could have 4GHz, years ago!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

So I was poking around at work and saw what looked like a radiator on the back of a Z800 workstation. Apparently HP makes a closed loop dual CPU cooler for these things.

There were watercooled Macs a while back: they sucked. The pump seals fell apart and slowly leaked into the PSU. So factory built water cooled workstations are not totally novel.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Guess there's one silver lining to all this: if you invested in Sandy Bridge-E, you can feel fairly smug.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 1, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

1)Haswell is still hotter than IVB delidded
2)Possible Haswell needs slightly more volts for the same freq
3)Delidding Haswell still nets big thermal gains a la IVB

1) Probably because Haswell has got the FIVR *dance, dance*... I'll get my coat
2) Ugh.
3) Intel, you are cunts, where's the solder?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Gotta pay to play son.

AMD are really loving this, aren't they? They've already decided not to compete here. Christ. They could make a Sandy Bridge competitive CPU, and clock it high out the box with sky high power consumption, that'd be good enough. They need to take advantage of this slow down in IPC..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

I will answer this via metaphor: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you really wanted, you could try stepping the voltage down to see if you could get the same clocks at lower power.

This is actually what I did with my 2500K. I overclocked it, then stepped the voltage offset down, down. Which is the opposite of what some assume. Hey, I'll take it running cooler, thanks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, I hope it's not the CPU, or your Haswell dream is at an end.

Didn't you direct die it, too?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 16, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Haeleus posted:

Alright, that sheds some light on what vdroop is, but what is the intuition of lowering voltage when the CPU needs it the most?

The way I'm seeing it is that it prevents the voltage from spiking too high when the load on the CPU suddenly falls

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

While I understand the sentiment - I think in spirit that the SKUs should be validated for a high speed and turbo to their stable limits out of the box - I think overclocking has always been about getting a little cheeky bit extra for nothing, or indeed for the hell of it (certainly not nothing in the case of custom watercooling or liquid Nitrogen).

I think if you aim for a modest overclock, you can get almost all the way there with no effort, then in a few years, replace it with a newer generation, faster CPU. For example, I run my 2500K @ 4.3GHz because it has been fully stable there, and I even undervolted it. Sure, a few more hundred MHz could be pushed for, but I feel like a combination of effort/heat/power faces a wall of diminishing returns, especially on the chip I have. Similarly, my girlfriend's 3570K I set to 4.2GHz out of the box has hit nary a problem. Could I do more? Sure. Then again, noise is also a major concern when I build anything these days, as I know it is for yourself.

I guess basically - decent gains can be had with no real difficulty, but if you want those last few hundred MHz, you'll be working for it.

As for graphics cards, I've had poor luck with overclocking them. If I shift my card at all, it starts doing horrible things (although I did unlock the shaders from 6950 to 6970, and that's been working perfectly, so I can't complain).
My 2900XT (don't laugh.. okay, laugh, someone bought one) also fell over flat if you tried to overclock it. (My laptop 330M GT has noticeable gains from OCing, though).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gnomedolf posted:

I decided to dip my toes into water cooling for the first time. Got the n00b friendly Corsair H55. It's a hunk of junk. The pump sounds like an over-worked hard drive. I got a second one and it is louder than the first.

Thing is, most cheap all in ones pale compared to the best air coolers