Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've been running my current build - i5 2500k @ 4.4 on a Gigabyte Z68 board, Hyper 212+ cooler - since last summer. But I'd never tried encoding or transcoding video on this build.

My old system was an Athlon 64 X2 5200+ with 4GB RAM (DDR2-800). This i5 @ 4.4 has 8GB DDR3-1600.

I'm using the same codecs and same encoding application. On the Athlon I MIGHT hit 20 fps on a good day. I hit over 370 fps on this. :ninja: 2 hour video transcoded in 6 minutes 58 seconds, that would have been an easy 2 1/2 hours on the Athlon.

The CPU never got above 45% load, and CPU temps never broke 45C.

Mind completely loving blown, almost as much as when I tried to run this 3.3 GHz chip at 4.4. Still not a single hiccup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

For the past year, I've been running a stable 4.4 OC on a 2500k, but couldn't even get a POST at 4.5.

Got caught up on this thread, saw that PLL is an issue. Turned off PLL, running at 4.5 now. 15 minutes of Prime95 with small FFT's got it up to 74C, with an idle around ~30C. Looks like cooling will be my biggest hurdle if I want to go any higher.

Gotta get that extra 100 mhz... :awesome: has never been more appropriate.

e: running at 4.6, but I'm almost afraid to run Prime95.
e2: fear justified, BSOD 5 minutes into Prime95. But I have a bigger internet penis than most people due to the fact I was able to actually boot at 4.6, so it was totally worth it. Totally gonna get laid. :v:

Profanity posted:

I figure you guys might get a kick out of this - I just got a Hyper 612S with a 3570K, and figured I'd try complimenting my TIM with something else, so I used plastic. More specifically, I was tired and forgot to take off the 'remove this before using, fuckwad' sticky label on the HS. Seeing 85C within five seconds on P95 was something of a shock.

I did something about as dumb (okay, dumber) - tried to use my original Hyper 212 (from my old Athlon 64 X2) on my 2500k. Wondered why it was throttling and beeping before it could detect the drives. :v::hf::doh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 17, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Factory Factory posted:

That's the first time I've heard of PLL Overvoltage making a negative impact. I thought it was just the Sleep/boot loop bug, and that for overclocking it was very, very slightly helpful at high multipliers. Could you have had a BIOS update in between confounding things?

Either way, :kamina::hf::cheers:

I miss my first 2500K. Booted at 5 GHz @ 1.4V. So good for the soul e-peen.

Hah, yeah, there's been a few BIOS updates, though I've tried a 45X multiplier with no other changes after the last bios update and got a :byodood: OVERCLOCK FAIL CMOS DEFAULTS RESTORED :byodame: message.

Still sitting at 4.5 several days later with no problems though.