Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Normally I consult the games forum before buying a game, and there's usually a megathread or at least limited discussion of a game in a console's megathread. However, one game has mysteriously had almost no discussion on these forums: Skylanders. A game that's played with toys.

I don't know why this is. It's completely loving impossible for nobody in this forum to be playing this game. We have threads dedicated to Pokemon theorycrafting and unabashed lovers of anime dating games. Cut the poo poo. You're already playing video games, and you have the added benefit of hiding behind a computer where nobody can see your toy-marketing loving face.

THIS GAME HAS SOLD MILLIONS OF COPIES AND THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF FIGURES. THERE ARE OVER ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND USERS ON THIS FORUM. AT LEAST FIVE OF YOU ARE INTO THIS.

These are the toys:

spyro, remember this motherfucker

a loving thing with guns thing that is badass

Each figure has a chip in it that tracks your progress with it; i.e. level, XP, what abilities you have picked, cosmetic upgrades and gold. You can use each figure across different versions of the game (even the 3DS), and it will still track your progress. Two figures can be used on a portal at the same time.

You connect them to the game with this:

the PORTAL OF POWER

Gameplay seems to be a pretty basic hack n slashish game with light RPG and puzzle elements. There are specific areas of the game where having a certain type of Skylander helps most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gyV8D9r5-s

The figures are $7.99 each with adventure packs containing a figure, a new level and a few magical items for $19.99. These are apparently IMPOSSIBLE to find right now, fetching huge prices on ebay and the like.

Giant Bomb has shown it's support for the game:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-skylanders-spyros-adventure/17-5098/

I DON'T OWN THE GAME YET. I created this thread because nobody else was doing it. this is an awful op. If you feel like i am doing the game a disservice please help me edit it or what the gently caress make a new thread and i'll close this one

John Romero fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
I bought this game for my kids for Christmas and they love it. They are not into the whole "break every barrel, complete every objective, find every secret" thing, so I have to replay the levels for them. It is a father's burden.

When I was picking characters out for them around Black Friday (when you could actually find them) I looked up various stats on the different characters and chose some that were supposed to be the strongest. Turns out, it doesn't really matter much. Just pick ones that look fun to play and don't worry about the stats. The official Skylanders website has video overviews of all the characters.

The game starts out pretty simplistic but the later levels have some challenging bits. Each character comes with a heroic challenge level that is also pretty challenging. You can do each character's heroic challenge with any other character, which may make it easier or harder depending on the character. The voice acting is actually pretty good and the storyline is pretty goofy. It was obviously aimed at younger kids but I have chuckled a few times.

Overall it's a good platforming game with a really cool gimmick. The figures are very well made and I'm not ashamed to have them displayed under my TV on little block shelves I constructed. For my kids.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The girlfriend and I bought this on a whim during a black friday sale. We played it twice, "ooohed" at the technology (it is pretty cool) and then never touched it again because it is way too easy to be any fun. I get it, this isn't Dark Souls, it's for children, but adjustable difficulty would have gone a long way toward counteracting that (there is none).

Could be worth a look if you have kids. Might give Giants a look if I hear good things.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

I... I have this game on the 3DS. Owned it for a week. As a platformer, so far, it's pretty solid. Quite easy, too.

Tried connecting on the community site this morning, and found it miserable.

It was on sale! I needed something to play, and MGS3D isn't out yet. Well, nothing I can say to take it back; I play Skylanders. For better or worse. Forgive me.

Fox1
Apr 30, 2004
Meh......
I work in a game shop and every third customer whines at me for not having any of these things in stock, it annoys the piss out of me.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you, OP. I spit on your lovely toys.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Fox1 posted:

I work in a game shop and every third customer whines at me for not having any of these things in stock, it annoys the piss out of me.

Hey, Game store bros with the same loving problem. :hf:

Seriously, gently caress your over priced plastic DLC.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

John Romero posted:

What have those bastards done to Spyro? :gonk:

gently caress you, Activison. Just another reason to never buy anything from you.

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!

RottenK posted:

What have those bastards done to Spyro? :gonk:

gently caress you, Activison. Just another reason to never buy anything from you.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a dev diary about the making of the game and the initial concept called for a reboot of the series with a dark twisted edge ala that stupid Sonic game. So it could have been worse. :shobon:

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
How much do I love Skylanders?

Enough that my shelf has been deemed Skylandia and has 18 figures (Including all three super sets).

My favorite thing - bringing my characters from my 3DS game to my PS3 game and vice versa. Leveling up one and bringing another over. It's neat that my stats carry over so easily.

The 3DS game is one of my favorite games on the system. The PS3 one is competent and is a more than delightful game. Voice acting is fantastic in it.

I adore this game (these games). I'll take a picture of my collection later. I just can't get enough of this game and I'm super pumped about GIANTS.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

RTM posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but there was a dev diary about the making of the game and the initial concept called for a reboot of the series with a dark twisted edge ala that stupid Sonic game. So it could have been worse. :shobon:

Thanks, now I'm less angry. Poor Spyro, hit with the Ugly Stick to save him from being given over to dark and edgy 12 year olds :smith:

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Spyro, the not as good Banjo.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

RTM posted:

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but didn't this already happen? I remember loads of Universal money being thrown at it and something about Gary Oldman.

I also heard it was terrible.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spyro was a casualty. His name and presence was a brand-establishing tool. Skylanders Giants doesn't even mention him in the title, which is pretty telling- Skylanders don't need Spyro anymore, he's just one of a couple dozen faces in the crowd now.

This game is pretty fun. Got it for my birthday unexpectedly and have been trying to get more of the figures since- which is hard to do! They are very difficult to find anywhere.

The game starts out insultingly easy for adults, but it does get more difficult as you progress. It hasn't been balls-hard or anything yet, but I've died a few times, and definitely run out of skylanders once or twice and needed to restart the level.(though now I have 7 or so of them so that happens less frequently).

The 3DS version is a platformer and the console versions are top-down beat-em-ups basically though. The web version is a lovely, pointless nothing, don't touch it.

I think the coolest aspect is that the figures are cross-platform. Not just for Wii and 3DS, but for PS3 and 360, or Wii and PC, etc etc. All toys work with all versions and keep their earned gold and levels and skilltree selections wherever they're played.

That said, it's super difficult to find any of the toys right now, so if you want to get into playing it, be aware. Don't pay scalper prices, just be patient. You'll find them at retail price eventually.

A lot of people seem to consider the figures pricey at $8, but they're only thinking of the in-game value. They're a combination toy and DLC, and the price is probably about right for what they do. You're getting a physical figure after all. Just don't get caught up in collecting, buy the ones you think are cool or whatever, and it won't be too expensive.

I just wish it had online co-op. And 4 player.

Also the game has hats. Hats.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 8, 2012

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Kelp Plankton posted:

Spyro was a casualty. His name and presence was a brand-establishing tool. Skylanders Giants doesn't even mention him in the title, which is pretty telling- Skylanders don't need Spyro anymore, he's just one of a couple dozen faces in the crowd now.

This game is pretty fun. Got it for my birthday unexpectedly and have been trying to get more of the figures since- which is hard to do! They are very difficult to find anywhere.

The game starts out insultingly easy for adults, but it does get more difficult as you progress. It hasn't been balls-hard or anything yet, but I've died a few times, and definitely run out of skylanders once or twice and needed to restart the level.(though now I have 7 or so of them so that happens less frequently).

The 3DS version is a platformer and the console versions are top-down beat-em-ups basically though. The web version is a lovely, pointless nothing, don't touch it.

I think the coolest aspect is that the figures are cross-platform. Not just for Wii and 3DS, but for PS3 and 360, or Wii and PC, etc etc. All toys work with all versions and keep their earned gold and levels and skilltree selections wherever they're played.

That said, it's super difficult to find any of the toys right now, so if you want to get into playing it, be aware. Don't pay scalper prices, just be patient. You'll find them at retail price eventually.

A lot of people seem to consider the figures pricey at $8, but they're only thinking of the in-game value. They're a combination toy and DLC, and the price is probably about right for what they do. You're getting a physical figure after all. Just don't get caught up in collecting, buy the ones you think are cool or whatever, and it won't be too expensive.

I just wish it had online co-op. And 4 player.

Also the game has hats. Hats.
When I originally bought Skylanders I thought to myself:"I am not getting sucked into this money hole,just getting the PS3 version and the 3DS version as a gift."
Then came the loving hats, I now have 9 toys only 2 of which are of types I already have, all I need left is an air Skylander and I can unlock everything.
And all the hats will be mine!!!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask: Is Spyro like... a thing? I played the first one on Playstation way back but I had him filed away with Gex, Ristar, and Glover in my mind as mascots who never "made it". It wasn't until this game that I realized A. there had been more than one Spyro game B. people gave a poo poo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask: Is Spyro like... a thing? I played the first one on Playstation way back but I had him filed away with Gex, Ristar, and Glover in my mind as mascots who never "made it". It wasn't until this game that I realized A. there had been more than one Spyro game B. people gave a poo poo.

As far as I can tell it was a thing for like, dragon furries, and everyone else just kind of ignored it.

Weirdly enough they had Elijah Wood as Spyro's voice actor for a bunch of games, apparently. and David Spade as that firefly. and Gary Oldman as some other dragon? How did they afford this :psyduck:

But yeah it did what Crash Bandicoot did- got bought out by Universal and continued being mediocre until not profitable anymore. Then it was sold off.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wow, so the figures and such are selling out? I remember around December stores had stacks and stacks of these stuff, I figured it had bombed

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
The original Spyro games are legitimately solid platformers so it wasn't a furry thing. Or whatever. I don't think anyone in their right minds would associate sexuality with Hunter. Jesus Christ the characters in those games were annoying.

But if I were to revisit those today and realize they were generic fluff and nostalgia was lying to me again, I'd at least walk away keeping the opinion that they have some of the best music in gaming.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Spyro stopped existing after Year of the Dragon :colbert:

e:^ I actually played 1-3 recently and they've held up really well. The hidden gems and stuff were intuitive enough to want me to keep playing.

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
Jeff Gerstmann approves of this thread.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you can put up with pretty bad camera angles and early playstation era graphics the Spyro series is still not too bad, there's a lot of fun mechanics. Personally I get about 3 hours in before I realize that I've been spoiled by newer game mechanics but if you could get past that it's still a decent romp.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Violen posted:

The original Spyro games are legitimately solid platformers so it wasn't a furry thing. Or whatever. I don't think anyone in their right minds would associate sexuality with Hunter. Jesus Christ the characters in those games were annoying.

But if I were to revisit those today and realize they were generic fluff and nostalgia was lying to me again, I'd at least walk away keeping the opinion that they have some of the best music in gaming.

I wasn't talking about the original PS1 games, I meant the ones on the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. I never played them but that was the impression I got. I definitely don't remember hearing any good word of mouth about them at the time, and I think one of them was a God of War clone.

I had Spyro on the PS1 and it seemed pretty competent. I'm not sure if it holds up today, but it was good at the time.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wasn't talking about the original PS1 games, I meant the ones on the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. I never played them but that was the impression I got. I definitely don't remember hearing any good word of mouth about them at the time, and I think one of them was a God of War clone.

I had Spyro on the PS1 and it seemed pretty competent. I'm not sure if it holds up today, but it was good at the time.

The original Spyro trilogy is great, everything after is crap.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

John Romero posted:

ahahaha bro rockin double mavericks jesus christ

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dark Onion posted:

ahahaha bro rockin double mavericks jesus christ

Does anyone remember Jnco jeans from back in the 90s? This thing looks like the BANG mascot/critter/whatthefuck they used to sell on T-shirts. I know because I had one and loved it and my friends still know me for that little thing, even ten years after the shirt was retired.

What I'm saying is if I'm going to get a Skylander someway somehow, it'll be that one.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 9, 2012

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Fox1 posted:

sorry people come into your store and ask you for things that you sell

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Drobot fuckin rules

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I knew I should have bought some of these things when I was interested in them right after they came out. I forget about it for a few months and they turned out to be a thing and now they're impossible to get.

Hopefully their supply chain catches up at some point so eBay doesn't become the exclusive retailer of Skylanders.

Fox1
Apr 30, 2004
Meh......

John Romero posted:

sorry people come into your store and ask you for things that you sell

Sorry for sharing my experience of skylanders in the skylanders thread.

Super Ness
Jan 14, 2011

~It's in...your..heart..~
I have a hefty 2.5 gallon ziploc bag sitting 2 feet away from me, filled to bursting with these figures. And no, I have no kids.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Soakin' fools all day long with Gill Grunt's powered-up waterhose attack.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I vaguely remember hearing about people taking their 3DS into stores and just taking pictures of the figurines to unlock characters for free. They could just save the characters to their accounts and then use them on console versions. Is this true or am I just talking out of my rear end?

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Super Ness posted:

I have a hefty 2.5 gallon ziploc bag sitting 2 feet away from me, filled to bursting with these figures. And no, I have no kids.

Do you legitimately like it, or is it one of those ironic things goons like to do?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Drobot fuckin rules

It's a dragon robot. Done. Skylander of the year every year

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What are you talking about? Gex made it huge. He has all of those insurance commercials now.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

D is That Guy posted:

Gex made it huge. He has all of those insurance commercials now.

I laughed inside.

To contribute, I see the success of this game spawning a new age of Pokemon. I bet my account on this, a few years from now every kids game will have some kind of cross-console compatible toys with chips inside them.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
My local target has a shelf full of these things as of an hour ago. I'm going to head back over there and see if any of them are worth reselling.

Victorian Gentleman posted:

To contribute, I see the success of this game spawning a new age of Pokemon. I bet my account on this, a few years from now every kids game will have some kind of cross-console compatible toys with chips inside them.

:toxx:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wow, so the figures and such are selling out? I remember around December stores had stacks and stacks of these stuff, I figured it had bombed

This was my original thought too. Our store had dozens of the figures, fistfuls of starter packs for all formats etc. I was musing on picking up a copy because it had come down to a more sane price to try and shift it, and I'm a gadget nerd. The stuff was gathering dust for at least a month and a half. I'd spotted the same in a few other stores.

Then a week before christmas and beyond it went loving crazy and you can't find the things for love, blood, money or body parts. It may have coincided with the TV ads going live or something?

It's certainly a interesting twist turning the models into save games, but I definitely don't agree with them making the levels something you have to buy. Granted it's no more different than the usual on-disc DLC you'd see in a lot of other games, but that makes me mildly annoyed anyway. Plus it's usually cheaper than £20.

Just please god save me from the people whining we don't have one particular figure. Grown men and women trying to pull THE ANGRY CONSUMER or snivelling like children makes me feel like I need to pin my eyes so they don't roll in my head like the exorcist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I laughed inside.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been tried before. Every now and then a new toy series will pop up, but it'll be poo poo because kids haven't heard about it. Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh (do people even play that still?) would have made a fortune if they had some toys you had to buy to unlock cards or something.

• Locked thread