Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lord Solitare posted:

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been tried before. Every now and then a new toy series will pop up, but it'll be poo poo because kids haven't heard about it. Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh (do people even play that still?) would have made a fortune if they had some toys you had to buy to unlock cards or something.

Waddya mean Pokemon "would" have made a fortune? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Wii U controller has NFC stuff in it. The immediate conclusions of the Giant Bomb staff were: Skylanders and Pokemon. You can smell it from here.

Super Ness
Jan 14, 2011

~It's in...your..heart..~

Lord Solitare posted:

Do you legitimately like it, or is it one of those ironic things goons like to do?

It's funny actually. I got the starter set for free and ignored it for a while. One day a friend comes over hungry for some sweet sweet co-op gaming. I had my doubts and was fully prepared to be laughed at by my fellow adult friend for popping in a Spyro game of my own free will. I figured what the hell. Then the first time I switched one figure with another on that portal, something primal awoke inside of me that had long since died off in my childhood. I was playing with toys and I was having fun doing it. Flash forward a few weeks and I have spent more than I'd care to recall on this "free" game I got. I was actually trying to find a second disk of the game for PS3 so I could play it anew, with shiner visuals, (had the Wii version) but the news of a sequel has me covered there.

I can honestly say that I thought that this game would suck some royal anus. I mean come on its Activision, the killer of franchises here. I was wrong. If you've ever been addicted to Pokemon then you'll have some sort of idea how powerful the urge to get more of these bastards is.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Super Ness posted:

It's funny actually. I got the starter set for free and ignored it for a while. One day a friend comes over hungry for some sweet sweet co-op gaming. I had my doubts and was fully prepared to be laughed at by my fellow adult friend for popping in a Spyro game of my own free will. I figured what the hell. Then the first time I switched one figure with another on that portal, something primal awoke inside of me that had long since died off in my childhood. I was playing with toys and I was having fun doing it. Flash forward a few weeks and I have spent more than I'd care to recall on this "free" game I got. I was actually trying to find a second disk of the game for PS3 so I could play it anew, with shiner visuals, (had the Wii version) but the news of a sequel has me covered there.

I can honestly say that I thought that this game would suck some royal anus. I mean come on its Activision, the killer of franchises here. I was wrong. If you've ever been addicted to Pokemon then you'll have some sort of idea how powerful the urge to get more of these bastards is.
Like I said, first you want all the elements, then you want some more so you can try out their abilities, then you own them all then Skylanders Giants is announced and you have your wallet at the ready.

Skylanders seems to be the most evil thing since :cthulhu:

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Like I said, first you want all the elements, then you want some more so you can try out their abilities, then you own them all then Skylanders Giants is announced and you have your wallet at the ready.

Skylanders seems to be the most evil thing since :cthulhu:

Seriously. Only about 4 hours on the clock with the 3DS version, and I have two of my starter figures at max level, nearly there at on the third, and I'm seriously considering buying a few extra figures if I can find them. This is something I haven't actively considered since 1998. Primal is kind of a good word for it.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Mods, please rename this thread to "MAN CHILD ZONE" or something.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've literally never been this embarrassed to be a member of this forum.

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

I thought this game was going to suck. I saw what Activision had done to my beloved childhood memories of Spyro and I was pissed. Then I actually played the game. It's not ever going to be game of the year, but it's fun as poo poo to play in co-op and you can collect, level and customize your favorite characters? Not to shabby.

Westopher posted:

Seriously. Only about 4 hours on the clock with the 3DS version, and I have two of my starter figures at max level

There's a really easy way to level your dudes abilities too, if you want to cheat it a little - but it's way fun having maxed out abilities and steamrolling through all the enemies with your coolest attacks.

In the Pirate Seas pack comes a treasure chest item that spawns a treasure chest of money when you plop it on the portal. It respawns every time you talk to an NPC in the overworld, and it's so easy to exploit...

Plop it on, grab the loot, talk to the fairy whore, then it respawns. Rinse and repeat for about 10 minutes and your character can be fully maxed out and ready to take on whatever decides to get in your way. :black101:

Unagi fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 11, 2012

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
When I saw this game it looked to me like pokemon but instead of catching them all, you had to buy them all. I haven't played it and have no real desire to, I just popped in to say that the store here has a bunch of the pirate seas pack and the DS starter pack with dark spyro and an elf and some fire guy. If you are really desperate I could ship it out, but I live in Korea so, shipping might be not really worth it, unless a bunch of you man-children want your toys.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
hell yeah it's forty bucks at toys r us this week

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
guys the NEW skylanders are GIANT and will LIGHT UP when you put them on the portal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTqNzCxvBU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I bought this game for my nephew for his birthday and my sister ended up taking him to buy a whatever figures they could find the very next day because everyone in the household was playing it non-stop. It seems like this is definitely a good gift for anyone that has children.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Was going to post about blatantly withholding content and mindless consumerism or something but then I saw the fight-stick that I've dumped more than $200 into and decided not to. :shepface:

Honestly, If I was ~6 years younger I would have probably been all over this. :kiddo:

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
Just defeated Invader Zim (Read:Kaos) a few days ago and I have to ask will he be sold as a toy when Giants comes out?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I got this on a whim for my son's birthday because I got the starter pack for sale at a decent price.

What the gently caress happened with the figures? I went looking to supplement the starter kit for my boy, all the sudden Target, Best Buy, GameStop, any retail joint you can think of is picked clean of figures, and Amazon has the prices jacked through the roof. I almost want to just send the game back before we open it before my kid starts bothering me to spend 50 bucks on a lovely 8 dollar figure.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Just in case people don't realize, Skylanders was made by the creators of Star Control II.

Hence why its awesome :)

Zeithammer
Dec 6, 2007
One of my coworkers is into this. He's 45 years old and has to declare bankruptcy this year due to credit card debt. Regardless of his financial situation, he spends on average $100 and about two days a week searching for and buying these things.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Just in case people don't realize, Skylanders was made by the creators of Star Control II.

gently caress YOU MAN.

Here I was, just hopping in to see what the deal was with these weird toys I saw in gamestop, and now you've got me seriously thinking about BUYING this poo poo?

No, man, gently caress you. gently caress YOU. I'M NOT GOING DOWN LIKE THIS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

C'mon, pw pw pw, buy just one figure, just the one.

Oh, you bought half of them a week later, you say? There, there. You can always do another mortgage.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People literally throwing away their lives to buy glorified DLC ITT.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
All I can think about is how this is DLC, without the convenience of being able to purchase it in my underwear at my desk. I'm already irritated at the small shelf space my old physical games games take up. I just can't make room in my life for a handful of plastic DLC figurines.

TomatoActivator
Jun 11, 2003
Cheesy Bread

theblackw0lf posted:

http://www.toysforbob.com/ its really wierd cause in the last 12 years (or so) they've made games like Tony Hawk's skate game, Madagascar (1 and 2), Disney Skate park, 102 Dalmations, ie basically felt like a Disney lapdog.

Spyro is not an original title, but i'm glad these wierdo's are atleast making something out of the box.

gj Paul and Fred.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I remember Best Buy being cleaned out on the leadup to Christmas.
I was amazed how popular this game was. I can see it succeeding on the Wii or DS but apparently a lot of kids play it on PS3 and Xbox, which I always considered "grown-up" consoles.

Also, it was wicked smart of them to make it a collection type game, I'd almost say they made more money from additional figurines than from copies sold.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Holy poo poo this is like MLP zone in here. Are adults actually very seriously into collecting these disfigured dragons?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

TomatoActivator posted:

http://www.toysforbob.com/ its really wierd cause in the last 12 years (or so) they've made games like Tony Hawk's skate game, Madagascar (1 and 2), Disney Skate park, 102 Dalmations, ie basically felt like a Disney lapdog.

Spyro is not an original title, but i'm glad these wierdo's are atleast making something out of the box.

gj Paul and Fred.

I don't ever intend on playing this game but it's nice to see Toys for Bob have a real success on their hands after a string of B-games. Who knows, it might bankroll a third Star Control game... though, as long as we're dreaming I'd like a boat.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

JP Money posted:

Holy poo poo this is like MLP zone in here. Are adults actually very seriously into collecting these disfigured dragons?
I think it's great for kids and absolutely stupid for anyone else

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
My older two children are 6 and 4, I bet they would get a kick out of these.. but OMG are they expensive :|

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't ever intend on playing this game but it's nice to see Toys for Bob have a real success on their hands after a string of B-games. Who knows, it might bankroll a third Star Control game... though, as long as we're dreaming I'd like a boat.

Hey they made a third Star.... oh wait. :smith:

As far as the Skylanders game itself goes it looks like a decent, if somewhat simple dungeon romp with coop play available and a gimmick for storing and showing off the characters. I mean, if it just had the extra characters and whatnot as straight up DLC instead of making them figures I bet they wouldn't have sold half as much stuff as they have.

The fact that T4B are making another game with the potential to reuse your old characters is nice, though.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 2, 2012

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

quakster posted:

B-b-but this DLC is physical, it actually has content that fills empty shelves!
Star Control II you say? If i start with creating kids now i will be in on this in just 9 months!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Gorillian Dollars posted:

B-b-but this DLC is physical, it actually has content that fills empty shelves!
Star Control II you say? If i start with creating kids now i will be in on this in just 9 months!

Oh god. Now I am thinking of a REAL Star Control 3 with Skylanders style ships and planets and such for new areas to explore. Those of you in this thread trying entirely too hard to be a MANLY MATURE ADULT would probably be first in loving line for Zot Foq Pik toys.

I finally saw the Skylanders figures for the first time in months last night so bought the Pirate set because its got A loving WERESHARK in it, and the Stealth Elf because its a Night Elf Assassin with BONE DAGGERS. I don't even have the game yet but the figurines are cute and fun. (Plus I figure if I don't like it I can always ebay if the profit was big enough. Its not right now.)

I want the game but only the PC version since I spend most of my time on the PC and am too snooty to go back to play around with all my consoles I was dumb enough to buy. (Hey! I was a Mac user from 05-2011. What else was I to do?)

I kind of want a few more of the figures, but mostly just the cool ones. Like the Ghost set.

Finding the PC version in stores is nigh impossible, which really annoys me when you see Target selling the base game at 10 dollars off every few weeks. Like this week.

(Though I did get Witcher 2.0 edition for 20 at Target today so my MATURE ADULT CARD can stay punched. What? I can't enjoy both New Zealand Story AND Doom?)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

quakster posted:

It's only glorified DLC if you look at it from an adult perspective. For a child of, say, eight years, it's a toy as well. It doesn't articulate or have eagle eyes or anything like that but you can put it on this little pedestal thing and it comes to life and has adventures! And a couple hours later, when mum and dad tell you to put the game off for the night - as well they should - you still have those toys to play with!

It's a really clever idea for a toy. The only problem I ever had with Skylanders is how ugly they made Spyro, since I grew up with the Insomniac Spyro trilogy and seeing how much the series got messed up by subsequent developers was pretty sad.

Captain Rufus is absolutely right, though, I would buy the poo poo out of a Zoq-Fot-Pik triple-pack.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
It stills baffles me on how this game gotten this huge. Now I am thinking I should at least try it out.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't give a poo poo about paperweights as a kid so the DLC part is the only thing that's relevant.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My wife is a huge fan of the original Spyro games but when I showed her Skylanders she was put off by the redesign about as much as I was and didn't have any interest, she did think the gimmick was kind of neat. As we were walking through Best Buy the other day we passed the display and I mentioned that apparently Skylanders had become a big loving deal when she said "holy crap!" and pointed me to the sign asking customers to please limit Skylanders purchases to two figures per day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

zarron posted:

It stills baffles me on how this game gotten this huge. Now I am thinking I should at least try it out.

I thought it would be a bust too. Interesting to see that this isn't the case. Also I enjoyed the OP a lot more than I should have. I haven't seen one like that since I registered.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mango sentinel posted:

the sign asking customers to please limit Skylanders purchases to two figures per day.

Please stop buying so many figures! There's not enough for everyone! Ha ha ha!

This thing is hitting absurd numbers. I wonder if it will be remembered as the Pokémon of the 10's.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 3, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So I've been lookling into this (totally for the kids... right?) and is there a difference between the platforms? Does it matter if I get it for the PC, PS3, Xbox, or Wii? Yeah I have them all... :negative:

Finding any talk about the difference between platforms is surprisingly difficult.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Pre-order Skylanders: Giants, get a free ticket to the Frungy Bowl CXXVII mission, only when you order before May 30th. Pre-purchase the Special StarCon edition for the ZoqFotPik, Thraddash and Orz figurines.

I would quite simply have to break down and buy it.

The main thing I do know is that the figures are cross compatible with any version of the game, but as for actual differences in-game, you got me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LumberingTroll posted:

So I've been lookling into this (totally for the kids... right?) and is there a difference between the platforms? Does it matter if I get it for the PC, PS3, Xbox, or Wii? Yeah I have them all... :negative:

Finding any talk about the difference between platforms is surprisingly difficult.

I heard that the console and PC versions are more dungeon-crawler/beat 'em ups and the 3DS version is a platformer.

Is this the case? I loved the original Spyro trilogy so the platformer idea appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I reviewed this game, and I got to say, it's a solid game. It's not going to blow your mind or anything, but as far as platformers go it's not bad as an all-ages game (especially with the drop-in-drop-out gameplay), and it's fantastic as a kid's game. I'm not a fan of how they did the whole real-world-DLC, but the game itself is quite well-made.

• Locked thread