Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Keepin this thread alive. Heads up, some Gamestops are getting the 'Scorpion Battle Pack' in, which has Hot Dog in it. I have no idea if anything else is going to come out today, but I have my friends that work the GS that I frequent hanging on to one for me until I get out of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
My Goodwill had a copy of Skylanders Giants with the portal and the three figures for $15. Whoot. Now to get a copy of Spyro's Adventures for that price...

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like everyone in this thread talking about "my kid" is secretly talking about themselves. Clever goon...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Megadace posted:

I feel like everyone in this thread talking about "my kid" is secretly talking about themselves. Clever goon...

Worry about it when people in the thread start buying themselves Skylander avatars, and start a creepy 'Brolander' thing.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So I just checked Ebay on those flocked stump smash figures. The green ones from the doritos contest are selling for about 40-50 dollars, and the white ones that friends of Activision got are selling for around 250-350. Not sure if I want to sit on my green one a while longer, or just put it up for bid now.

If you want to do your own market research, here's the listing of completed sales: http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?clk_rvr_id=443668916541&_nkw=flocked+stump+smash&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

5er posted:

Worry about it when people in the thread start buying themselves Skylander avatars, and start a creepy 'Brolander' thing.

Heh, hey there Skybro? I'm kidding of course. I mean Spyro has existed ever since I was in the first grade and from what I know if it , the dragon doesn't have a cult like the ponies do. I hope it stays this way.

digibitch
Jul 10, 2005
electric emotion, running through my circuits
I wish someone had warned me about this game. My roomie idly mentioned Skylanders when I asked to drop by Toys R Us (because sometimes, you just want an Adventure Time sword) and man. I was not prepared.

We bought both games, the portal of power, and about 10 figures there. We rushed to Bestbuy and bought another 6 or 7. All the stores were closed, at this point, so we played co-op for a while and yesterday we ran around to various Targets, Walmarts, Bestbuys, Toys R Us' and Game Stops. The collection up to 40 some figures and we have probably have lost control of our lives. I just barely talked him out of bidding on a Ninjini on ebay. Barely.

:shobon: But...The game IS really fun, and Zap is adorable, partially because he reminds me of Wartortle. Roomie is using Stealth Elf (which he has deemed 'Glitternips').

Next, I guess I'm going to build an excel doc that lists all the figurines? Unless someone has such a wonderful thing already, in which case, you should link it! (Pretty pretty please?)

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
I saw a few of those battle packs at Target yesterday.

I Don't play this game but my son wants this so bad but I'm not sure I want to shell out the money yet.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

More on that, I've noticed that if you pick up a Lightcore guy, I don't think there's any point in getting that character's 'normal' version. I got a Lightcore Jet-Vac, and a legendary one from the Toys R Us exclusive 3-pack. Only one heroic challenge is available for him, and why are you going to bother using the normal guy when the Lightcore dude has a significant stat boost?

Some of the wow pows are really good. I guess it depends on if you're thinking about single player or battle mode. Battle mode is pretty broken balance-wise though - I was interested in skylanders for the pvp, but its pretty impossible to enjoy without a character ban or 4.

They announced the next skylanders game, Swap Force. 16 new swap force characters (256 possible combinations), and 16 regular. I don't think they announced whether or not there would be online play though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOyw1ZWj6BA

http://www.skylanders.com/swapforce

edit: also amazon has many singles on sale today, and best buy is doing by one get one 50% off wii u games, and includes some of the skylanders figurines in that (at least on their site)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 18, 2013

Magossa
Feb 24, 2013

"What would Brian Boitano do?"
I recently got Giants for my Wii U, and after about a good week of playing with multiple Skylanders, I think it's safe to say that Double Trouble is the most OP one there is. The Conjuror path is just crazy fun with my swarm of doubles that blast through everything in their path. Don't forget about the lock-on beam of doom that increases the size and damage of your doubles when you shoot em with it.

Are there any other ones that are as powerful as Double T? I would love to add them to my collection.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I still can't get a loving Ninjini... my cred with my wife is seriously in jeopardy. My cred isn't worth the $200 I've seen it on Ebay for however... she can play with the creepy eyeball dude for now.

Super Ness
Jan 14, 2011

~It's in...your..heart..~

Magossa posted:

I recently got Giants for my Wii U, and after about a good week of playing with multiple Skylanders, I think it's safe to say that Double Trouble is the most OP one there is. The Conjuror path is just crazy fun with my swarm of doubles that blast through everything in their path. Don't forget about the lock-on beam of doom that increases the size and damage of your doubles when you shoot em with it.

Are there any other ones that are as powerful as Double T? I would love to add them to my collection.

If I had to pick one OP skylander it would be Drobot for sure. Fully upgraded he's a freakin shmup spacecraft. Plus he sounds awesome and can hover like a harrier jet.
He was my go to guy when things got hairy.

That is before I had 30 skylanders.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've relied on this guy's rating list on GameFAQs whenever I want to pick a skill path or decide which figures to buy:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/666530-skylanders-giants/65802967

I know, it's probably goofy to have a tier list for a kid's game like this, but when you're spending $10+ on each figure, you kinda wanna know what you're in for.

Magossa
Feb 24, 2013

"What would Brian Boitano do?"

JazzFlight posted:

I've relied on this guy's rating list on GameFAQs whenever I want to pick a skill path or decide which figures to buy:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/666530-skylanders-giants/65802967

Good to see Rossmacdaddy over on GameFAQs agrees with me about Double Trouble. Good to see Drobot is right next to him in rankings, too. I just purchased him along with Ignitor on Amazon because of Super Ness' recommendation and it looks like i will not be dissapointed. :)

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

LorneReams posted:

I still can't get a loving Ninjini... my cred with my wife is seriously in jeopardy. My cred isn't worth the $200 I've seen it on Ebay for however... she can play with the creepy eyeball dude for now.

She hasn't been released for retail yet. We only just got Eyebrawl a couple months ago. I read a while back that there was one more round of figures set to be released and she was going to be the final giant to drop before the next game this fall.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have to admit that I looked at these things with a bit of disgust whenever I saw them at my local game store. Then I watched my niece playing it and it actually seemed pretty interesting, at least in a "keep Spyro alive as a gaming name and make money off of him" sort of way. I just hope that they use this money to create some "spinoff" Spyro games like the first 3.

I just wish there was some way to revive Crash Bandicoot.

By the way, is the Spyro reboot officially dead now? I am talking about the 3 games that they put out before Skylanders that had the big voice actors. They left it open ended after the last game(as well as open ended for furry fantasies :suicide: ) and I was kind of hoping that they would continue the storyline. I actually enjoyed the reboot and my fiance and I found the coop mode of the last game to be very fun. (though I can see where it would be annoying in single player) I mean, it wasn't Ripto's Rage levels of good, but at least it was better than Enter the Dragonfly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jadebullet posted:

I have to admit that I looked at these things with a bit of disgust whenever I saw them at my local game store. Then I watched my niece playing it and it actually seemed pretty interesting, at least in a "keep Spyro alive as a gaming name and make money off of him" sort of way. I just hope that they use this money to create some "spinoff" Spyro games like the first 3.

I just wish there was some way to revive Crash Bandicoot.

By the way, is the Spyro reboot officially dead now? I am talking about the 3 games that they put out before Skylanders that had the big voice actors. They left it open ended after the last game(as well as open ended for furry fantasies :suicide: ) and I was kind of hoping that they would continue the storyline. I actually enjoyed the reboot and my fiance and I found the coop mode of the last game to be very fun. (though I can see where it would be annoying in single player) I mean, it wasn't Ripto's Rage levels of good, but at least it was better than Enter the Dragonfly.
Spyro as a franchise is pretty much dead even WITH Skylanders coming out. Skylanders just used his name as a jumping off point. He's treated exactly the same as the other toys, so you don't even have to use him at all. No individual toy has any storyline, they're completely interchangable in relation to the plot.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Geekslinger posted:

She hasn't been released for retail yet. We only just got Eyebrawl a couple months ago. I read a while back that there was one more round of figures set to be released and she was going to be the final giant to drop before the next game this fall.

Yes she has. She's been out for a month now. I picked one up at Gamestop, and saw her at Wal-Mart and Target as well, but she vanishes fast as gently caress. Pray that Wave 5 includes her I guess, because people keep snapping her up.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Yes she has. She's been out for a month now. I picked one up at Gamestop, and saw her at Wal-Mart and Target as well, but she vanishes fast as gently caress. Pray that Wave 5 includes her I guess, because people keep snapping her up.

That is good to know, I checked at Gamestop last week and they didn't even have a SKU for her yet. I will have to hit up the couple of Walmarts by me as well.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Well, I can't say I'm a Skylander player myself, but they do look pretty cool, and the concept is fun.

What I came here to post was that I think Skylanders are pretty freely available here (Australia). I was at Harvey Norman (think Best Buy) last night, and they had a wall off to the side with a whole bunch of Skylanders Giants and other Skylanders on it. They were kind of off to the side and not really a featured item for sale, leaving me to believe that they're not that popular in this part of the world.

I'd need to do some research into compatability, but based on what I'm reading in this thread, do you think there would be a market for these through eBay or some such if they're currently hard to find in North America?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I've been checking local Gamestop and Walmart shelves for the last few weeks trying to find a Ninjini. If you have a Walmart in your area the Scarlet Ninjini variant is out now and both of the ones by me had a ton on the shelf. Your mileage may vary.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just how terrible are the publisher's logistics being managed that, what, 3/4ths of a year after release, we still aren't seeing all the figures released? My kid's already moved on to other games, he doesn't care any longer for Skylander stuff. I asked him last night if he was interested in the next game and he said, 'kinda not really,' because of how frustrating it was going in to Target, Best Buy, et cetera to look and next to never see the figs he was looking for. He expects it'll be the same with 'Swap Force' or whatever they're calling it.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

5er posted:

He expects it'll be the same with 'Swap Force' or whatever they're calling it.

Retailer exclusives just add to the 'fun'. Every time I checked Target's website they weren't available for purchase online and I never saw them sold in stores. The only option left is to go through a reseller but gently caress paying upwards of $30 for a cosmetically different rock dude. As far as I know it's still not clear who's going to be stocking Polar Whirlwind. Fun :shepicide:!

I did see five Crimson Ninjinis at Toys r Us, though! They were the legion of quality control failures, each a unique example of deformities and paint misapplications! QC's just not that good with the Giants figures. It's still not as bad as the LC Prism Break whose back came cracked open so you could see his glowy guts.

Skylanders Universe got shut down which bites... it seemed somewhat popular as a budget way for kids to get some use out of their figures since it didn't require a portal to access. Now those little web codes are useless outside of the iOS games.

Swap Force is getting passed over but the 3DS game are actually pretty good. They're fairly linear and the difficulty isn't terrifyingly high but the stages are put together nicely and different characters have slightly different traversal abilities such as gliding. Wrecking Ball's animation for double jumping is just the best :3: he twirls like a fat little helicopter.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'd get the 3ds version for my kid but I am not ending up with another loving Treewrex for my trouble.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

5er posted:

Just how terrible are the publisher's logistics being managed that, what, 3/4ths of a year after release, we still aren't seeing all the figures released? My kid's already moved on to other games, he doesn't care any longer for Skylander stuff. I asked him last night if he was interested in the next game and he said, 'kinda not really,' because of how frustrating it was going in to Target, Best Buy, et cetera to look and next to never see the figs he was looking for. He expects it'll be the same with 'Swap Force' or whatever they're calling it.

The longevity for us has been only buying new figures here and there. My kids will go in spurts where they are off playing something else instead, but then I brought home Ninjini a couple nights ago and now they are back to playing Skylanders again.

I know a lot of people bought a poo poo load of figures with the game on release or at Christmas time which would induce burnout pretty quickly. Hell just looking at Craigslist in my area there are tons of people selling their collections.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
If I was thinking about getting this for my kids would I be better off starting them with the original or giants? Are they entirely different games with a different portal and different models or can series one skylanders be used in giants? Can giant toys be used in series one, either with or without purchasing the game itself? How compatible will the next release be? And I know 3ds is an entirely different game, but what's the difference between wii and ps3?

And any ideas of a cheap way to get started in the UK or London in particular? Other than just trolling eBay and gumtree or maybe using cex?

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
^^ be very careful with london CEX and skylanders. About 3 different times now myself, or my brother have gotten home only to discover that the skylander in question is just completely broken chip-wise.
Never had any trouble getting a straight refund though.

They're basically the same game largely. You can start with the first no problem and take the characters through to the second game without any issues at all. Yes series 1 can be used in Giants. Even some giants can be used in the first game, though not many. (my lightcore prism break works, with strange garbled voice files, but it still works so *shrug*)
As for console differences, I believe there are none until you get down to non-console devices.
afaik, the wii, xbox, pc and ps3 versions are all pretty much the same.
Perhaps minor variations in starting characters?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
SWAP Force the new game coming out this fall will require a new portal because of the tech they're introducing.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/19/skylanders-swap-force-will-require-a-new-portal.aspx

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I ended up grabbing the 3DS version from a kid that was selling it on gumtree for £15. I was shocked to see the portal is cross platform, so all I need is the disk version for the PS3. I'll probably be buying a Giants booster pack (for the game and a starter figure) in the next few weeks, and even have a bid on a cheap Spyro's Adventure for the PS3, seeing as it's different to the 3ds version.

They have me by the balls now, don't they. Pretty soon I'll be destitute from chasing the dragon.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

There's like 10 dragons at least per se. Enjoy.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

So how much gameplay time on average do you get out of each figure? I was never interested in Skylanders until I saw this :krad: whale dude in the store. Now that goons are talking about it, I'm sort of curious now.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Brick Shipment posted:

So how much gameplay time on average do you get out of each figure? I was never interested in Skylanders until I saw this :krad: whale dude in the store. Now that goons are talking about it, I'm sort of curious now.

It's not worth it unless you're a parent, is the best input I can give you here.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

I ended up grabbing the 3DS version from a kid that was selling it on gumtree for £15. I was shocked to see the portal is cross platform, so all I need is the disk version for the PS3. I'll probably be buying a Giants booster pack (for the game and a starter figure) in the next few weeks, and even have a bid on a cheap Spyro's Adventure for the PS3, seeing as it's different to the 3ds version.

They have me by the balls now, don't they. Pretty soon I'll be destitute from chasing the dragon.

1 month later and we have 11 Skylanders, the PS3 version as well as the 3DS version, and a copy of the PS3 Giants addon pack with the big tree guy ready as a good behaviour present...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I have a fair collection of Skylanders and the first two games for PS3 and the first game for 3DS. I'm actually looking forward to waiting for the PS4 release of Swap Force because it's great knowing that all of the pre-existing figures will be easily loaded into the new game and rendered even better-looking than they are now (+ jump feature, hooray).

It's like owning a Pokemon game where you can bring your Pikachu from the first Gameboy version into the latest 3DS one.

Additionally, I know I'm not a 10-year old kid so I'm not the real demographic for any of these games, but I just don't really see the same appeal in Disney Infinite. I dunno, I kind of prefer owning newly designed creature toys instead of a handful of randomly chosen existing characters that already have huge toylines.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 25, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I have a fair collection of Skylanders and the first two games for PS3 and the first game for 3DS. I'm actually looking forward to waiting for the PS4 release of Swap Force because it's great knowing that all of the pre-existing figures will be easily loaded into the new game and rendered even better-looking than they are now (+ jump feature, hooray).

It's like owning a Pokemon game where you can bring your Pikachu from the first Gameboy version into the latest 3DS one.

Additionally, I know I'm not a 10-year old kid so I'm not the real demographic for any of these games, but I just don't really see the same appeal in Disney Infinite. I dunno, I kind of prefer owning newly designed creature toys instead of a handful of randomly chosen existing characters that already have huge toylines.

But lets be honest... If they made a Pokemon Skylanders hybrid... It's steal almost as much more of our money as a Pokemon MMO would!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Masonity posted:

But lets be honest... If they made a Pokemon Skylanders hybrid... It's steal almost as much more of our money as a Pokemon MMO would!

They're dipping their tows in the water with Pokemon Rumble (http://www.pokemonrumble.com/RumbleU/en/)

It told my kid he can choose between Swap Force and Disney Infinity for Christmas, he can't have both. He chose Swap Force of course.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

They're dipping their tows in the water with Pokemon Rumble (http://www.pokemonrumble.com/RumbleU/en/)

It told my kid he can choose between Swap Force and Disney Infinity for Christmas, he can't have both. He chose Swap Force of course.

Yeah I nearly mentioned the 3DS rumble game as a potential starting point.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
I've been a fairly serious collector of rare video games and accessories for years. I'm always on the lookout for valuable crap I don't even know about. Despite http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ being my bible for tracking prices and trends, I always ignored their section for Skylanders Figures until my curiosity got the best of me tonight. The average value is insane despite there being so many of them. How the hell did this game manage to turn parents into agents of hyper-inflation? That is one successful gimmick.

Surprisingly this SA thread was 3rd in a Google search for "what the hell is Skylanders" and I learned more about the game here than I did the other sites, so thanks. I have a 3DS so I might check it out, but the prices on the figures are pretty intimidating.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
With the exception of the really rare figures (E3 exlusives, employee exclusives and some rare giveaways) I'd expect any kind of secondary market for regular figures to be lessened by the fact that they're planning to release a new game every year. I've noticed it becoming it easier to find figures cheap and there are you can get a lot of Giants figures and sets really cheap at retail now the next one is imminent (which didn't happen the first time around). But yeah... it is definitely a succesful gimmick and really taps into the "gotta catch em all" mentality that appeals to kids and adults in different ways.

It'll be interesting to see if they catch on in Japan at all. It's only been released in the home of gotta-catch-em-all recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gravy Jones posted:

Good. In comparing the two, Disney Infinity is a much more shallow experience, gamewise. I think the most hardcore Disney fan will get a lot out of it, but unless you have a kid that really likes the toybox mode, you might not get your money's worth. I think a kid that puts hours into Minecraft building poo poo resourcefully would probably be a good candidate. Skylanders will have the better 'game', with story-driven content and whatnot. Toy character levelling and development has a lot more pith too, but I'll give Infinity one thing... figures can manage separate player profiles so that kids sharing ownership of a figure can go through the "fun" of levelling it on their own.

• Locked thread