Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope one day this game exists and is good and will pay for it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wish Notch would just shut up like the fat sack of poo poo that he is. He really thinks he's something more than he is, but he's just another goofy chubby bearded game designer, and he never even bothered to finish his drat game. Shut up Notch, go away, you are not a personality or an interesting person.

That video of him and his team playing minecraft kinnect was so infuriating, solely because I'm quite sure he expects people to give a poo poo about his ridiculous hatted head being on screen.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

How do other people get money to make their games then? I don't think every game developer begs people.

I mean this guy is just coasting off goodwill from all these old games he made I guess. Psychonauts is a good game, but not as incredible as people make it out to be due to nostalgia and I just think it's kind of dumb that people are going to blindly throw money at the guy to make a game they might maybe like. Costume Quest is the only other game I've ever played from his studio and it's utterly terrible. Like it's just really weird to pay someone for the privilege of purchasing their product.

You get the game plus a bunch of other poo poo if you back the project. You aren't paying for the privilege.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fonzarelli posted:

I wish Notch would just shut up like the fat sack of poo poo that he is. He really thinks he's something more than he is, but he's just another goofy chubby bearded game designer, and he never even bothered to finish his drat game. Shut up Notch, go away, you are not a personality or an interesting person.

That video of him and his team playing minecraft kinnect was so infuriating, solely because I'm quite sure he expects people to give a poo poo about his ridiculous hatted head being on screen.

I guess I missed about six months of the internet, but why do people hate Notch?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Beanpants posted:

You get the game plus a bunch of other poo poo if you back the project. You aren't paying for the privilege.

To be honest I almost want to see the documentary that comes out of this more than playing the game.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
And really you're just paying up front for a beta and the retail game you'll get at release. And the community will obsessively give continual feedback/'cloud sourced' content/death threats to a large man with bad facial hair.

This type of thing is entirely unprecedented.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I guess I missed about six months of the internet, but why do people hate Notch?

It's a long story. Basically a combination of Minecraft never delivering on the things he promised, and being a dick to Yogscast when they showed up at Minecon to help promote his game.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Basically this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450663 .

He's a big prick, but loving Psychonauts 2 oh my god. I am so conflicted.

More on topic, it's really awesome how fast this has blown up. Props to you, internet.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

YOURFRIEND posted:

How do other people get money to make their games then? I don't think every game developer begs people.

I mean this guy is just coasting off goodwill from all these old games he made I guess. Psychonauts is a good game, but not as incredible as people make it out to be due to nostalgia and I just think it's kind of dumb that people are going to blindly throw money at the guy to make a game they might maybe like. Costume Quest is the only other game I've ever played from his studio and it's utterly terrible. Like it's just really weird to pay someone for the privilege of purchasing their product.

Except if you pay $15+, then you already purchased the product! It's like a really extended pre-order basically. Except this time I get to throw my money at something I really want to happen, rather than what already has happened.

And what's really cool to me (other than the game) is how open this project is. I feel like you never really get any insight into a lot of the creative processes in game making, and to have a film crew document one of my favorite game studios sounds super interesting.

It's also interesting to note how Brad Muir (worker at Double Fine) talked about how he wished that video games had a shorter feedback loop compared to cooking, and the inclusion of a message board where the fans can interact and provide feedback to DF definitely seems like that's a company wide initiative to provide quicker interaction between game makers and the people who play them.

also also i don't understand why people are hating on notch when he has nothing to do with this except for giving some money

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Balls. I'd love to donate, but when I try to, Amazon just says that "this functionality has been disabled on your account". Googling the problem indicates that this is an issue for some old Amazon accounts and depending on the phases of the moon they've either been able to fix it on request or just tell you to create a new account.

EDIT: "Money transfer services are currently only available in the United States" Oh brilliant.

EDIT 2: No wait, Amazon have a EUROPEAN Payments page too, but Kickstarter automatically directs you to the American one with no option of going to the European page. How the gently caress are Europeans paying into Kickstarter?

EDIT 3:

OK, anyone having my problem:

:siren: "This functionality has been disabled on your account" AND you're not in the US? :siren:

You have to go to Amazon.com and make a new account there, because you can't enter non-US-addresses on the Payments site itself. Then you can use that new account to complete the payment. Or you can wait for Amazon to do something about this, which apparently they aren't, according to friends who have complained about this issue to them.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 9, 2012

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
I'm just excited to see real economics at work. People are literally voting with their dollars. I almost wish every game company were forced to do this. Voting for a game per genre is amazing.

"Would you like another generic FPS? Give us money now!" No thank you. Please die and make me some RPG's, space flight-sims, adventure games, 2-D brawlers, etc! I want all the drat game types that they seem to have stopped making back!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YOURFRIEND posted:

Why does he need money to make a game to sell for money?
If you pledge $15, you get a copy of the game. The problem you're talking about doesn't exist in this particular situation.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure letting people play a beta version of this is a good idea. Isn't there a saying that goes along the lines of 'Comedy is like sausage, it's great as long as you don't see how it's made' Do you really want to see adventure game humor go through multiple iterations before it actually gets funny?

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Happily pledged. I raised $17,500 on Kickstarter to fund stardrive. Kickstarter is fuckin rad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not sure letting people play a beta version of this is a good idea. Isn't there a saying that goes along the lines of 'Comedy is like sausage, it's great as long as you don't see how it's made' Do you really want to see adventure game humor go through multiple iterations before it actually gets funny?

Fun fact. Tim Schafer actually quotes this in the video at the top of the kickstarter page.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

If this gets filled with reddit memes and other similar garbage it will ruin the project, the beta better only be for testing gameplay.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Fonzarelli posted:

My favorite thing about Notch is that when he donates money or funds a cult project he makes sure everyone knows it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think the point of the beta will be to work out kinks with the design of the game and probably different puzzles. I doubt they're going to rely on other people to write the humor in the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Parallax posted:

I think the point of the beta will be to work out kinks with the design of the game and probably different puzzles. I doubt they're going to rely on other people to write the humor in the game.

Goons in general seem to understand game development about as well as dogs understand quantum physics.

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

YOURFRIEND posted:

The kickstarter page explains all of pretty clearly. Publishers are not funding adventure games. You fund it and you get a copy. He has made a lot of adventure games that a lot of us loved and we want another one. Simple stuff here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I pledged $30. I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I've not been interested in all of Double Fine's games over the past couple years, but they've always put out quality work. There are several good indie adventure games out there (most notably the ones from Wadjet Eye), but I'm extremely curious to see what an actual full budget point and click game would look like in 2012.

Anyone know the budget of a game like Iron Brigade?

Oh, and if anyone is doubting Double Fine's current capacity to develop a point and click game, you should check out "Host Master and the Conquest of Humor", which was a short flash game made by Tim Schafer for GDC two or three years ago. It's just a short little thing, but it's pretty clever and funny.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Basically this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450663 .

He's a big prick, but loving Psychonauts 2 oh my god. I am so conflicted.

More on topic, it's really awesome how fast this has blown up. Props to you, internet.

Wait, is this some elaborate meta-troll I'm missing here? The Yogscast people acted like dickbags and everyone hates Notch because of this?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 9, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Wait, is this some elaborate meta-troll I'm missing here? The Yogscast people acted like dickbags and everyone hates Notch because of this?

What it eventually came down to is that absolutely no one came forward to say they witnessed Yogs acting badly so it appears he made the whole thing up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Something feels dirty about Kickstarter being used by a developer that has released games that were large enough to be advertised on TV.

I mean I know there are publishers that fund projects but honestly they couldn't find a single publisher? They can't publish themselves? How little money do they make :I

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I guess this has no publisher attached so it has no strings attached... apart from the strings of every entitled gently caress who donated money and now wants their idea in the game because god drat it they helped pay for this loving thing etc.

I just hope Tim ignores them completely and makes the game he wants to make. A game by committee, particularly one created by the internet, would be The Worst Thing.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Something feels dirty about Kickstarter being used by a developer that has released games that were large enough to be advertised on TV.

I mean I know there are publishers that fund projects but honestly they couldn't find a single publisher? They can't publish themselves? How little money do they make :I

The problem with most publishers is that unless they're Telltale, they usually don't want to make a point-and-click adventure. Most publishers won't take the risk of a new IP that isn't in a hugely popular genre. As for funding, that's just how the industry works. Yes, they probably could self-fund it, but that would put DoubleFine (And possibly some employees) in huge financial risk. Plus, lot's of people said they'd pay to see a cool new point-and-click game, time they put their money where their mouth is.

Ddraig posted:

So I guess this has no publisher attached so it has no strings attached... apart from the strings of every entitled gently caress who donated money and now wants their idea in the game because god drat it they helped pay for this loving thing etc.

I just hope Tim ignores them completely and makes the game he wants to make. A game by committee, particularly one created by the internet, would be The Worst Thing.

From the video it sounds like community input is probably gonna be for music, art, that kinda stuff. I really hope DF are smart enough to not let the internet call ALL the shots...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 9, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Easy pledge. Inspired to replay Psychonauts, I wasn't in a very receptive mood last I remembered and rushed through just to finish it.

e: Hey achievements this time around too!

Gaph fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That's not the point. They probably could get the money, but don't want to, because Tim is apparently pretty fed up with the whole publisher system. They stick their fingers in, they try to eliminate all content that could possibly not appeal to any of their thousand demographics and they don't get adventure games.

This allows Double Fine a way to develop a game safely and get their big fans involved, which will drum up hype, eliminate the financial risk and let them make the game they want to.

There are literally no downsides except apparently some people think this is prof of them going tits up tomorrow.

This is probably also a bit of a pilot program. If this works well, we might very well see a crowdsourced Psychonauts 2 and that thought is almost literally giving me wood.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Der Shovel posted:

This is probably also a bit of a pilot program. If this works well, we might very well see a crowdsourced Psychonauts 2 and that thought is almost literally giving me wood.

You are aware of what a certain Markus Persson is arranging, right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BiggerJ posted:

You are aware of what a certain Markus Persson is arranging, right?

I am aware of what a certain Markus Persson said on Twitter but I'm not getting "excited" until we see something more concrete.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Well there we go, $300k in 6 hours or so. I'm going to bed, bet it'll be at least $500k by the time I get up in another 6 hours or so.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's still going up like a grand a minute.

Also I am so down for another point and click game, the last one I've played recently (other than the monkey island re-releases out of desperation) was Mechanarium, a fantastic little game.

I'd kill for the rest of the LOOM series.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly expected it would take more than ~6500 investors to raise $300,000 this is going to be very interesting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this is an extremely smart move - few studios have the fan klout and historical pedigree of Double Fine and this is basically the dream project of someone who liked adventure games in the 90s. It's an actual reprisal of the same creative energies that created Monkey Island (minus Dave Grossman/Steve Purcell), which is one of the most beloved PC games of all time.

Assuming this actually happens (and it most likely will, given the speed of these donations), there is literally no downside. Well, unless it turns out to be poo poo. They're not screwing anyone; you will get the game that you willingly paid for and it's a serious boon for them as a developer since they can circumvent that whole nightmarish publisher/developer relationship that has screwed them over heavily in the past (see: Brütal Legend).

They already have the funding, they have nothing to lose and thus everyone is happy. Again, unless it's poo poo. But the fact that people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt is telling, and they have the chance to make good on that creatively without any bonds or restrictions, which is something that very few developers get the chance to do.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 9, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mordiceius posted:

Because he's successful, and has such, stopped being cool for nerds to like.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
They are already at $300,000. That's crazy. I hope they crack a million. That would be kick as.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Because he's successful, and has such, stopped being cool for nerds to like.

No it's really not that, he was passive aggressive and brought up an argument he had with supporters over twitter instead of confronting them which is basically the actions of a middle schooler

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

I have a question for anyone in the game industry: When they make this game, will it even matter if it sells outside of the Kickstarter investors? They have no obligation to show a high return to a publisher/venture capitalist and the budget already includes salaries.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
It would be awesome to see a mechanic where the price of the game at the end of this all drops according to how much they get in advance.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Neutron Bandit posted:

I have a question for anyone in the game industry: When they make this game, will it even matter if it sells outside of the Kickstarter investors? They have no obligation to show a high return to a publisher/venture capitalist and the budget already includes salaries.

They can (and probably will) funnel profits in to their next game's budget, so it's not entirely necessary to make more than the dev cost of this game, but it'll probably help them sleep at night after Brutal Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
If nothing else, this acts as a pretty good counterpoint about PC gamers just being a bunch of pirates. $60 for a by the numbers buggy FPS, "Meh, I don't know." $15 for a new Tim Schafer Point and click game, "loving sold."

• Locked thread