Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Double Fine Adventure Game Kickstarter Project!
Oh god yes i think i just wet my pants a little

:siren: $400,000 REACHED IN 9 HOURS WHO SAID ADVENTURE GAMES ARE DEAD :siren:
BUT if you still want to pledge your $15 bux to get your preorder and documentary goodness, you still can and it is fully encouraged as Tim Schafer will do whatever he does with money to turn it into videogame gold!!!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Tim Schafer posted:

WoooooooooOOOOoooOoOoooOOooo!
UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms, be translated into more languages, have more music and voice, and an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

Your backing and comments have been truly inspiring to me and the team, so on behalf of Double Fine and 2 Player Productions I want to say THANK YOU!!!

I can't wait to see where this thing can go!

Giant Bomb.com posted:

Just days after Minecraft creator Markus Persson began talking with Double Fine Productions about funding a sequel to Psychonauts, the studio has announced something equally crazy: it’s raising funds via Kickstarter to produce an adventure game from Tim Schafer.

Double Fine is hoping to raise $400,000 in 33 days, and with that number going up by the hundreds just minutes after the announcement, it seems pretty likely Double Fine will be able to hit that number, and probably have much more to play with.

“Crowd-sourced fundraising sites like Kickstarter have been an incredible boon to the independent development community,” reads the description. “They democratize the process by allowing consumers to support the games they want to see developed and give the developers the freedom to experiment, take risks, and design without anyone else compromising their vision. It's the kind of creative luxury that most major, established studios simply can't afford. At least, not until now.”

The game will be developed over six-to-eight months, with the target being a PC release over Steam in October.

A “small team” will be working on the game at Double Fine under the leadership of Schafer, and getting in on the ground floor--a copy of the game and early access to the beta, access to an ongoing documentary and private discussion forum--requires a donation of $15.

Mac and iOS versions of the game are under consideration, but only if they collect more than $400,000.

“For fans of adventure games,” said the studio, “this is a chance to prove that there is still a large demand out there for a unique medium that inspired so many of us.”
- Giant Bomb.com's Patrick Klepek

If that article was TLDR for you ADD mofos out there - Double Fine Studio, Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert are going to be making an adventure game - only if they can raise $400,000 via Kickstarter. Their rationale for doing this is that no self-respecting publisher would help fund a shoddy adventure game because that genre is deader than a beaten horse, so they're looking for fans of the genre to all chip in and show those fat cats that adventure games are magical!

I think that this is an awesome thing that Double Fine Studios are doing, branching out to the actual fans rather than speaking with publishers who won't give any game that's not MW:COD clone a second look. If you're a huge fan of LucasArt adventure games such as Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Adventures of Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion then you will (probably) love whatever Tim Schafer puts out now since I still think he's got the same humour and attitude when making his games as he did back in the day.

If you wanna get in on this poo poo, you better do it soon since it's already nearing $200,000 and I don't think it's even been up for 24 hours yet. You'll be able to get the game early AND get to watch the game being made if you can part with only $15 of your dollars. Of course, you can still donate when it has reached $400,000 but then you won't get to feel special since you didn't really contribute or whatever.

The game is estimated to be out in October 2012 if it reaches the funding goal, which means 6-8 months of development videos for us!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Benefits to pledging
Pledge $15+
The finished game in all of its awesome glory on Steam, exclusive access to the PC Beta on Steam, access to the video series, and access the private discussion community.

Pledge $30+
HD download of the documentary series with extras, Digital game soundtrack, and all previous reward tiers.

Pledge $100+
Original "Double Fine Adventure" poster (suitable for framing) exclusive to the campaign, special thanks in the game’s credits, and all previous reward tiers. (posters will be shipped for free in the US, and for $10 internationally)

Pledge $250+
"Double Fine Adventure" Poster autographed by Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and the rest of the design team, and all previous reward tiers.

Pledge $1000+
Mini portrait of YOU, painted by the game's artist, and all previous reward tiers.

Pledge $5000+
Larger original painting of art used in the final game, and all previous reward tiers.

Pledge $10,000 SOLD OUT (probably to notch or some rabid schafer stalker)
Lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, a tour of the Double Fine offices, and all previous reward tiers. THERE ARE MORE REWARDS but we can't post them here because they're too big! For premium rewards past a $10,000 pledge, see https://www.doublefine.com

Even more premium awards!!!

Doublefine.com posted:

Pledge $15,000 or more:
Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $20,000 or more:
Dinner and BOWLING with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $50,000 or more:
Become an actual character in the game.

Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

SELL OFF YOUR HOUSE LIVE ON THE STREETS TIM SCHAFER 2012

Buff Baby fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
They've already hit the half-way point in less than 24 hours so go them! :toot:

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

JamJars posted:

They've already hit the half-way point in less than 24 hours so go them! :toot:

4. It took them 4 hours. If they keep it up, they could bankroll this and Psychonauts 2 without breaking a sweat.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We are now witnessing the birth of fully kickstarter funded game development

(until someone walks off with a million or two and leaves everyone hanging)

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Beanpants posted:

4. It took them 4 hours. If they keep it up, they could bankroll this and Psychonauts 2 without breaking a sweat.

Every time I refresh the page it seems to go up another $1,000 or so. They should have this funded before midnight on the West Coast.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

There are already 15 $1,000 pledges, 3 $5,000 pledges and a $10k pledge :psyduck:

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

citizenlowell posted:

Every time I refresh the page it seems to go up another $1,000 or so. They should have this funded before midnight on the West Coast.

It is actually a really relaxing way to spend an afternoon - an auto-refresher on their Kickstarter page. They must be going nuts over at the Double Fine offices.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stacking was garbage so I'm a bit vary.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Tim Schafer wants to make you a game.
Pledge it all.

I already dropped money on this, it's gonna be interesting to see how a big-name developer handles this new pledging model for game funding.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I hope they fake everyone out and make Brutal Legend 2 with that money because, gently caress the haters, I really loved Brutal Legend.

In other news, I'm starting a Kickstarter to fund Star Control 4, Alpha Centauri 2, Darklands 2 and Planescape: Torment 2. Who's in?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Wow, I donated about 2 hours ago and it was around $100k, it's doubled since then. Just for kicks, I just spent a few minutes refreshing the page. It's getting a donation about every 5 seconds or so, and pulling in about $1000 a minute. I've got a crazy idea that they're not going to have to worry about hitting that $400k goal. :stare:

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Scholastic Book Fairs - the true future of AAA title fundraising.

This is pretty hilarious that not only did they do this, but that it worked. Good for them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They'll get like $40,000,000 and make a whole goddamn franchise.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I tried to donate some money, but Amazon says that the functionality for payments has been disabled on my account. I also can't edit my account settings; this apparently isn't uncommon from the looks of a quick google search.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

quakster posted:

Stacking was garbage so I'm a bit vary.

This is going to be an authentic point and click adventure game, rather than them trying out new stuff with games like Stacking or Costume Quest. If you do not believe that Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert can make an amazing adventure that will not disappoint, you have lost all hope in the genre already.

I want to believe that an amazing point and click story-driven adventure can still be made in this day and age!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Someone wanna tell Notch he can appear in a Double Fine game for some of his beard grooming cash?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
And the rate this is going, they'll have double what they asked for by the end of the week.

And thats the best news I've ever heard, Double Fine being pumped full of cash money by fans and Notch is the greatest thing that could have happened to this industry.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Seems like DoubleFines been in trouble for a while. Psychonauts only did good way after release, plus recently they have been completely dependent on publishers. Hopefully this project will allow their creativity flow without them being worried about complete bankruptcy.

Dr. Meat
Mar 20, 2005
Trust me, I'm a doctor
Double Fine is awesome and this project is awesome. Even if the game doesn't turn out amazing, this stuff is at least super interesting and I can't wait to see how it goes.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

jvempire posted:

Seems like DoubleFines been in trouble for a while. Psychonauts only did good way after release, plus recently they have been completely dependent on publishers. Hopefully this project will allow their creativity flow without them being worried about complete bankruptcy.

I don't think Double Fine is in particularly dire straits, and the things you describe are kind of the story for most developers. Psychonauts was many years ago, so any financial blowback from that has long since passed. There is a lot of overhead with a development studio that prohibits going out on a limb and self financing a game completely, especially one that doesn't have a "wide appeal." This is true across the board for dev studios that aren't just a few guys making iPhone games in their house. I think it's more likely exactly what they said: a desire to make a game that doesn't have to make compromises to a publisher.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

A new Tim Schafer/Ron Gilbert adventure game and Psychonauts 2... I never thought this day would come.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

redmercer posted:

Someone wanna tell Notch he can appear in a Double Fine game for some of his beard grooming cash?

According to Twitter, he was the one who ponied up $10k.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It was obviously Notch holding Tim to the fact they're still going to talk Psychonauts 2 funding.

If this suddenly made me realize there is a god, would any of you blame me?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mutata posted:

According to Twitter, he was the one who ponied up $10k.

Notch said that while he donated the 10k, he didn't take the lunch. He opted just for a painting.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

loving finally. I knew there was a way for point and clicks to survive!

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Notch said that while he donated the 10k, he didn't take the lunch. He opted just for a painting.

I hope it was some Saudi prince who just happens to really love Full Throttle.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Threw in my 15 bucks. Might throw in some more after taxes. Can you name one cause more important than a new Tim Schafer adventure?

I thought not!

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Donated as soon as I heard. If this is a success it might encourage other developers to take the risk.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Beanpants posted:

I don't think Double Fine is in particularly dire straits, and the things you describe are kind of the story for most developers. Psychonauts was many years ago, so any financial blowback from that has long since passed. There is a lot of overhead with a development studio that prohibits going out on a limb and self financing a game completely, especially one that doesn't have a "wide appeal." This is true across the board for dev studios that aren't just a few guys making iPhone games in their house. I think it's more likely exactly what they said: a desire to make a game that doesn't have to make compromises to a publisher.
They had publisher troubles with Brutal Legend, which in turn inadvertently created the 4 mini console games they did. That's another thing that gibbed them hard, having them console only. I think the agreement with the publishers was that the games were going to be console games, but if there's one thing this kickstarter project shows is that they have a large fanbase on the PC (probably one bigger than on consoles).

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Why does he need money to make a game to sell for money?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Why does he need money to make a game to sell for money?

Because you need the money to make the game in the first place in order to get the money

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Neutron Bandit posted:

Donated as soon as I heard. When this is a success it might encourage other developers to take the risk.

Fixed that for you, considering we're already rapidly encroaching on the 75% milestone and most of the Western world is asleep.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Gutcruncher posted:

Because you need the money to make the game in the first place in order to get the money

How do other people get money to make their games then? I don't think every game developer begs people.

I mean this guy is just coasting off goodwill from all these old games he made I guess. Psychonauts is a good game, but not as incredible as people make it out to be due to nostalgia and I just think it's kind of dumb that people are going to blindly throw money at the guy to make a game they might maybe like. Costume Quest is the only other game I've ever played from his studio and it's utterly terrible. Like it's just really weird to pay someone for the privilege of purchasing their product.

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 9, 2012

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

YOURFRIEND posted:

How do other people get money to make their games then? I don't think every game developer begs people.

Because they get publishers to invest in the project.

Tim Schafer knows that they wouldn't be able to get publishers to invest into an adventure game.

Plus, when publishers invest, you have to play by their rules.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

YOURFRIEND posted:

They usually make games people buy. Investors tend to like that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

They're given an advance by the publisher.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're given an advance by the publisher.

Which tends to have strings attached. One or two. Or three. Or four.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Thanks for this post. I am happy to give now to receive awesome later!

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I wish I was rich, I'd kill a man to go bowling with Tim Schafer so we could drink beer and talk about what a masterpiece Grim Fandango was.

They certainly have my 15 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

I mean this guy is just coasting off goodwill from all these old games he made I guess. Psychonauts is a good game, but not as incredible as people make it out to be due to nostalgia and I just think it's kind of dumb that people are going to blindly throw money at the guy to make a game they might maybe like. Costume Quest is the only other game I've ever played from his studio and it's utterly terrible. Like it's just really weird to pay someone for the privilege of purchasing their product.
It maybe due to the fact that they aren't been limited by a publisher + it's a point and click adventure game, which was the genre that originally made Tim Schafer successful/popular.

• Locked thread