Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want an FMV game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
So basically now they can bankroll TWO games.

And on their way to a third.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gutcruncher posted:

In the pitch video Tim said he needed 30k for the game, and 10k for the documentors. Not only was the game the main focus of the money to begin with, but I doubt that more money to work on the game equals more work for the documentary guys, so chances are theyll still be getting 10k no matter what.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it 300k and 100k, respectively?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

bango skank posted:

Yep, the total funding goal was $400,000

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

bango skank posted:

Ha oops! No idea how I did that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Frankly, I think it would be awesome if they spent $400000 on the game and $800000 on the documentary.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Film the whole thing on Imax. Admittedly, nobody would get anything done at work since Imax cameras sound like the second coming, but drat would that be a good looking documentary.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

bango skank posted:

It has to be. 30k is a week or two of burn.

This is an astounding development for games. While I grant you that Tim is undeniably one of the very few well-known game developers in the industry, the fact that he's able to bootstrap a self-funded game simply by asking fans if they want it is just stunning.

I work on a popular game franchise and while I know it'll never happen, I'm salivating at the prospect that people might be willing to fund development that my team wants to do but can't get approved due to budget. Man.

It might be the first of many, it might be the only success story ever, it might not be a good game and thus never work again. But whatever happens, it'll be historical, and there's a good chance it's the first step into the post-publisher world. I'm excited to find out how this goes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
After watching that video there was pretty much no way I wasn't going to pay $30 for the HD documentary downloads.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm excited to find out how this goes.

I'm excited too, but for a different reason:

One of the traits of a 'post publisher market' would be that in a publisher, fans have the perfect scapegoat if their pet game/show does poorly.

Right now, You can say "My favorite TV show was ruined by the network!", instead of something more accurate. Like "My favorite TV show was so unpopular that commercials of Christina Hendricks saying she goes full-frontal in every episode wouldn't spike the ratings numbers".

What are fans going to do, in a post-publisher world, if they don't have the Publisher Boogeyman?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Do I hear ISOMETRIC RPG?

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisAvellone/status/167668841458040832

Why isn't this already happening god drat it. Tim Schafer's great and all, but an old-school isometric RPG from Obsidian and Avellone would be loving perfect

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 1, 2014

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Maybe we can get Megaman Legends 3 back in developme-no that'll never loving work. :smithicide:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Fungah! posted:

Why isn't this already happening god drat it. Tim Schafer's great and all, but an old-school isometric RPG from Obsidian and Avellone would be loving perfect

Part of this success was a combination of the scale of the project and the novelty of it. There are a dozen projects you could come up with that might fit the bill, like an old school isometric RPG, but if you tried to do all the projects at once people would get distracted and the hype wouldn't build.

This may not be a viable model for games of this scale as a regular thing, but if every so often some well-loved developer comes in out of the cold and offers to make a special game you wouldn't get to see otherwise if they can get the support, well... just look what can happen.

In other words if four or five dream projects like this try to launch right off the coattails it probably won't work, but if there's another kickstarter like this in a year or two for whatever you have in mind it might get the same reaction.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

A good poster posted:

Maybe we can get Megaman Legends 3 back in developme-no that'll never loving work. :smithicide:
Maybe if the kickstarter contributions included all the assets and code.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Jesto posted:

So, wait, does the success of this mean Joss Whedon can start a Kickstarter account to get a new season of Firefly funded and raise $100 million dollars in under 6 hours?

... Please? :ohdear:

The idea that fans of a publisher can just commission more of anything they want directly is pretty amazing.

He doesnt own the Firefly IP, unfortunately

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

That's what I was just thinking... he'd probably rather do a kickstarter for an entirely new franchise that he got to own, or a Dr Horrible series.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dolash posted:

Part of this success was a combination of the scale of the project and the novelty of it. There are a dozen projects you could come up with that might fit the bill, like an old school isometric RPG, but if you tried to do all the projects at once people would get distracted and the hype wouldn't build.

This may not be a viable model for games of this scale as a regular thing, but if every so often some well-loved developer comes in out of the cold and offers to make a special game you wouldn't get to see otherwise if they can get the support, well... just look what can happen.

In other words if four or five dream projects like this try to launch right off the coattails it probably won't work, but if there's another kickstarter like this in a year or two for whatever you have in mind it might get the same reaction.

Yeah, I feel like any other game projects on the heels of this one are liable to suffer the same sort of fatigue as the myriad indie bundles that came out after the original Humble Bundle. It's cool at first and you'll toss some extra money in to support the whole thing, but you become increasingly apathetic to copycats afterward.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MisterBibs posted:

I'm excited too, but for a different reason:

One of the traits of a 'post publisher market' would be that in a publisher, fans have the perfect scapegoat if their pet game/show does poorly.

Right now, You can say "My favorite TV show was ruined by the network!", instead of something more accurate. Like "My favorite TV show was so unpopular that commercials of Christina Hendricks saying she goes full-frontal in every episode wouldn't spike the ratings numbers".

What are fans going to do, in a post-publisher world, if they don't have the Publisher Boogeyman?

This is especially interesting considering there was so much backlash against Brutal Legend being a pseudo-RTS and Tim Schafer being so into the concept that after the game came out he made videos defending the gameplay and showing the "right" way to play it. That time they had EA to blame it on, who is second only to Activision when it comes to big game companies that gamers love to hate.

Jesto posted:

So, wait, does the success of this mean Joss Whedon can start a Kickstarter account to get a new season of Firefly funded and raise $100 million dollars in under 6 hours?

... Please? :ohdear:

The idea that fans of a publisher can just commission more of anything they want directly is pretty amazing.

Joss Whedon is directing The Avengers, unless it bombs horribly he'll make enough money to make quirky kung-fu lesbian adventures until the end of time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Anyone claiming that this isn't a significant financial and publicity milestone in audience-commissioned entertainment is a contrarian moron.

Or to put it another way: business as usual on Something Awful. Jesus himself could do his second coming and some giant turd would find something to whine about it.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm very impressed, and really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. :)

If he pulls this one off in a proper fashion, I will forgive Tim Schafer for turning his back on the PC for so long.

Also, I fear that this kind of funding greatly is subject to diminishing returns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

While all this still warms my heart, I can't help but be concerned about the inevitable Great Internerd Backlash that will occur whenever people see/play this game for themselves and are disappointed by the impossible expectations that these last 24 hours have set up. The sense of entitlement will undoubtedly be palpable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

A kickstarter to buy it for him would probably be pretty successful imo.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they really do make an old school point-and-click adventure game with inventory puzzles and all, there's literally no way I won't love it. They could have everything voiced by someone doing a bad Bobcat Goldthwait impression and a soundtrack composed of nothing but screeching static, but as long as I'm clicking to navigate and combining a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle with things I'll be ecstatic. Schafer and Gilbert are together responsible for at least half of my top ten favorite games of all time and with the kind of budget they're going to end up with I have faith Double Fine will come up with something awesome.

Not to mention the documentary they're putting out on the development process is pretty much worth the price alone.

e: of course that won't stop some people from whinging.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 10, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dolash posted:

Plus, with people getting a little more used to the concept, maybe future projects will just hit their targets, rather than going a MILLION DOLLARS OVER IT in the first week. I mean there's cash enough in this project already to hit three 40K targets.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hakkesshu posted:

While all this still warms my heart, I can't help but be concerned about the inevitable Great Internerd Backlash that will occur whenever people see/play this game for themselves and are disappointed by the impossible expectations that these last 24 hours have set up. The sense of entitlement will undoubtedly be palpable.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this, too. While this was a major victory for self-publishers and to show the world PC Gaming is neither dead or full of pirates, the expectations raised by the absurd amount of money involved for what was supposed to be just a classic-style adventure game are going to lead into some terrible Internet Drama.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
I think the point of the "Lost Sales" is that you don't make a profit by donating, because what you're donating, will, in theory, serve to make the game.

On the other hand, it guarantees that there will be at least some profit, even if its just 15 bucks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SGRaaize posted:

I think the point of the "Lost Sales" is that you don't make a profit by donating, because what you're donating, will, in theory, serve to make the game.

On the other hand, it guarantees that there will be at least some profit, even if its just 15 bucks.

Who would be making "profit" from this game? Just the guys at Double Fine.

The guys whos salaries are included in the fundraised total.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Normally developers live on a project-by-project basis. Securing a deal with a publisher gets the publisher to pay the developer based on the developer meeting milestones in the game they're making. This money is what makes the developer survive.

Money from the sales is usually collected by the publisher and I think it's uncommon for the developer to get any of that cash (I think some contracts has bits where the devs may get a bonus if the game sells extremely well). Obviously a game selling really well is still good for the developer because it will make securing future contracts more easily.

If Double Fine plans this out well, they'll have secured funding as well as rake in cash from sales. Though if it gets put up on STEAM, I think STEAM takes a fair cut of sales as well I imagine.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Avellone might not be entirely serious, I've previously tweeted at him that I committed him to doing a Alpha-Protocol-meets-Persona game for Kanye West's monolithic design company and he said he'd do that, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Leinadi posted:

Though if it gets put up on STEAM, I think STEAM takes a fair cut of sales as well I imagine.
Steam's cut isn't officially known, but it's something like 30% for games sold through the Steam storefront. Valve don't take a cut from keys given out to Kickstarter donors or through retail copies or whatever.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Avellone might not be entirely serious, I've previously tweeted at him that I committed him to doing a Alpha-Protocol-meets-Persona game for Kanye West's monolithic design company and he said he'd do that, too.

Who says the two responses are mutally exclusive? Better start the ball rolling and throw your cash at him now!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Leinadi posted:

Normally developers live on a project-by-project basis. Securing a deal with a publisher gets the publisher to pay the developer based on the developer meeting milestones in the game they're making. This money is what makes the developer survive.

Money from the sales is usually collected by the publisher and I think it's uncommon for the developer to get any of that cash (I think some contracts has bits where the devs may get a bonus if the game sells extremely well). Obviously a game selling really well is still good for the developer because it will make securing future contracts more easily.

If Double Fine plans this out well, they'll have secured funding as well as rake in cash from sales. Though if it gets put up on STEAM, I think STEAM takes a fair cut of sales as well I imagine.

Doesn't Valve take like 30%? Thats not insignificant, but 70% is infinately more than a developer would get from a sale of a game through traditional channels. Hell, if Valve took the 70% I think you'd still come out on top.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Role Play McMurphy posted:

pre:
        Aggressive

Suave               Professional

GALACTIC PUNT

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

sassassin posted:

A kickstarter to buy it for him would probably be pretty successful imo.

It was a dream of mine, but unfortunately it wouldn't work for two reasons. One, it requires a lot more money. And two, if the money is raised, it shows there's sufficient interest in it, so the studio that owns the rights would just keep it and knock something together on their own.

See:

http://gigaom.com/video/firefly-nathan-fillion-right/

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
Tim Schaefer being happy about reaching the 1 mil. :) :
http://yfrog.com/j3qh3zz

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I'm hoping this turns out to be a great trend, but I'm also thinking about all the great games that went through development struggles and multiple delays. Deus Ex, the Half-Lifes, hell pretty much every good PC game. Would they have survived the scrutiny that crowdfunding would bring? What if you invested in a game that took twice as long to develop than the intended goal, and completely reinvented itself away from the original concept?

This is going to result in a lot of hilarious drama.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 10, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I will never buy another Tim Schafer game after the bait and switch of Brutal Legend. gently caress Double Fine and gently caress Tim Schafer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You mean the bait and switch where everyone was told what kind of game it was but chose to ignore it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Ddraig posted:

You mean the bait and switch where everyone was told what kind of game it was but chose to ignore it?

Pretty much this. Brutal Legend was everything I expected it to be and I really enjoyed the game. The only real disappointment was the multiplayer.

• Locked thread