Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I'm not quite understanding the "$15 is a lost sale" thing. Considering that's probably around how much the game would be priced anyway, couldn't those $15 purchases be simply considered pre-orders?

*Donated $30 here, I had to resist the urge to give more.

hellocruelworld fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
God, this thing is at over $1,134,000 and still going? What do you all think this thing will top out at?

Seriously I think this is amazing and I am very excited about this project. I hope they spend more on the game than documentary though.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Under 2 mil, betting the 1.6 to 1.8 mil range.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think that the upcoming media hype is going to get them to 2.5 mil. People are still donating at a pretty high rate. The donations increased by another $9,000 since my last post. I don't expect this success to be repeated anytime soon however.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Gaph posted:

With another 31 days to go?

To be fair to the previous poster, you have to expect a decline at some point. I think he is low-balling however.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Francois Kofko posted:

lmao if you think a kickstarter could get enough money for psychonauts 2

I don't think a kickstarter could get enough money to fund all of psychonauts 2, but it could possibly bring in enough money to partially fund it I think.

hellocruelworld fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 11, 2012

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I think the assumption that Psychonauts 2 would not be a profitable game is a bad one. The general consensus appears to be that the first game bombed mainly because of some bad luck - terrible promotion and a terrible publisher. I'm sure the fact that it didn't come out until a year later in Europe doesn't help either. I think the gaming press would also cover Psychonauts 2 a lot more than they did the first one due to all the hype. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everyone that Psychonauts 2 is a risky project, but I also think it is a project that has the potential to be a surprise hit. Anyways, Tim needs to do more video updates as the rate of funding increased when he gave a video update on the project.

I also think that a Psychonauts 2 kickstarter would eclipse the adventure game project significantly, possibly to the tune of %6.5 million. If Tim can do over $2 million for a game in a nearly dead genre, than a game that is much more accessible with a cult fan base can attract some serious cash, and I think enough for it to be a less risky option for an investor.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

TheHock posted:

I'm really nervous about the multi-platform thing, because going to 11 billion platforms is what really destroyed the quality of TellTale's games, but so long as it's just computers, iOS, and Android, I have a lot more faith in the DoubleFine team to get it done right.

I think the decline of TellTale's games has more to do with them going overboard, expanding too rapidly, and biting off more than they could chew. I don't think the ports had much to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

maxnmona posted:

I've had the second Tales of Monkey Island episode half-finished on my computer for like a year now. Just never had the impulse to keep going. Like everything Telltale, it is perfectly competent but kind of empty and never that funny or entertaining or memorable.

I almost did the same thing, but the game gets much better starting with ep 3.

• Locked thread