Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, it's definitely a case of Step One: Be Tim Schafer.

On the other hand, it's loving Tim Schafer, give him your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, I assume that it'll be a small splinter group that works on the adventure game while the other Double Fine staffers continue working on the publisher products.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Huzzah! Now give a $400,000 budget to Jane Jensen so we can get a real Gabriel Knight 4.

And Anachronox 2!

EDIT: This is reminding me of when Conan announced his comedy tour and was selling out venues literally within minutes of the announcement. I have to imagine Double Fine is feeling pretty good about the support.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Checking out Twitter, not only is Tim freaking out and thanking the whole internet, but Ron Gilbert points out that the original Monkey Island had a total budget of $135,000.

So logically this means we're going to get a game that's at least three times as good as Monkey Island.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tiara posted:

If Tim Schafer asks for it, Tim Schafer gets it.

If he asks you to join the other 699 hookers in his basement while he readies his stabbing knife, you do it. :colbert:

"If you let me stab you to death, I'll tell you my idea for Full Throttle 2."

Tell me you wouldn't at least consider that for a moment.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

My favorite thing about this is Tim didn't even have to make a pitch. He didn't have to go into a room full of CEOs and justify making a video game, or whip out any documents to show how a point and click adventure could generate ad revenue.

He literally just went on the internet and said "Hey internet, I'm Tim Schafer and I want to make another point and click game" and the internet gave him half a million dollars to do it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

What I meant was, my $15 doesn't go towards the making of this game. It goes towards...extras I guess? But that doesn't really matter. I still gave my $15, because something this great should be supported. It's an awesome idea, and if not only meeting the budget, but going well over the budget, will encourage more like it, then I'll gladly pay for that.

edit: Also, I love Tim Schafer.

He's already said additional money will go toward the making of this game. Who knows, your $15 could pay for celebrity voice acting or a symphonic soundtrack by an acclaimed film composer.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch the making-ofs until after the game's out and I've played.

I'm more worried at his promise that fans will have input on the game's design.

Yeah, this has me a bit worried, but I'm gonna hope DF's smart enough to limit that sort of thing to stuff like "Vote for your favorite logo design" and stuff like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shame nobody reads manuals anymore. I miss Jo "Captain Tripps" Ashburn's name popping up in credits.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

"What should I have for lunch tomorrow?

A: Ham and cheese sandwich

B: A healthy salad

C: Ham and cheese sandwich with a side salad"

And have that be the only thing posed to the community. Donaters get a picture of Tim Schafer enjoying his lunch.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

There's pretty much no way they won't hit a million by the end of the day, yeah.

For the record, it took Louis CK's Live at the Beacon Theater 4 days to reach $200,000. Double Fine is set to make five times that much in a quarter of the time.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I bet a sudden influx of a million dollars can change the nature of a man.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

I'm surprised so many people have no loving clue of how games are made and how publishers gently caress with the products.

Thank you so much for saying this. The history of Brutal Legend being hosed with by publishers is legendary, and for somebody to complain about supporting Double Fine after poo poo like Activision literally forcing them to change the game into a Guitar Hero clone, cancelling the game, and then blatantly ripping it off to create Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock is so incredibly shortsighted.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I would pitch in on this, but they should probably wait some months. Doing it on the heels of Double Fine seems like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, there's gonna need to be a cooldown period before everybody tries jumping on this, but at the same time it's really cool seeing all these developers getting really excited at all this; it's not just cool for us consumers, even the people making the drat games are seeing this as a brand new frontier.

EDIT: That image is fantastic, and I'm putting that poo poo on the facebooks.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 10, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ddraig posted:

If Obsidian does do a kick starter they need to do Beta Directive where you follow Special Agent Mike Dornton who is a spy and kicks all kinds of rear end.

The Steven Heck Files.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

One thing I've been wondering about for a while is, you see a lot of ambition in the indie scene these days, and it's comparable to the 90s PC gaming scene, definitely. However, few indie developers actually manage to pull off the same level of scope and production value that the best games of the 90s could muster. Star Control 2 is still pretty much unparalleled. There is still nothing like Dungeon Keeper on the market. Gemini Rue is an awesome game, but it's no Full Throttle.

Now, Tim Schafer says on Twitter that Full Throttle cost $1.5 million to make. And this new game has at least that by the end of the month. What I'm wondering is, does money hold the same value in game development today? Like, I know Full Throttle is not a very long game, but the ambition and craft that went into it is still incredible. Could that game have been made today with the same budget?

Well, you also have to remember that Lucasarts was literally a team of programmers and artists who worked at Skywalker Ranch. Indie game companies are like maybe five guys, one of whom can do some animation. If you had more indie game companies with dozens of people on the team with a variety of skillsets in things like animation, scripting, writing and such, you'd end up with more ambitious projects, but when it's a handful of people and they're all stretched thin as it is, you lose out on that quality a bit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

maxnmona posted:

People keep pretending this was a cliffhanger or something instead of the "And so they continued to have adventures" ending it really is.

It's more that it's like the word "ironic", where so many people misusing the word has lead to a complete misunderstanding of what it actually means. So now anything that doesn't end with "And they lived happily ever after" is now considered a cliffhanger, even if the entire plot is fully resolved and everything is taken care of.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

What was the story behind this game? It seemed really odd that they would revisit this IP so long after the last sequel had been released. When I first heard of it coming to steam, I thought maybe someone had ported the old shoot-em-up arcade game to PC or something.

It was technically a tie-in with the Bluray release of the movies, same with BTTF.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

That was a great video. I wouldn't be disappointed if the documentary was just more of that.

Seriously, I was like "pfft, what would I want with some dumb documentary, just gimme the drat game" and then I spent 35 minutes watching them just talk about adventure games, and when it ended I was like "Man, if only there were a way to get even more behind the scenes looks at Tim and Ron making games together OH WAIT".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Of course he sails. His name is Tim Schafer, and he wants to be a pirate.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

I sorta knew Tim Schafer before, but not until this thread did I really know who he is.

Why do I like him so much? He just seems so.. drat cool :)

Because he is. Now go play Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango because you're a bad person until you do.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

But... I don't think there's any way to do this. :(

Buy the games.

https://scummvm.org to play Scumm games on your modern PC.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/grim-fandango-setup to install Grim Fandango on your PC.

Now quit wasting time, you're making Tim sad by not playing his games.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

I'm 30 years old! I have!

Do it again! You probably forgot how to do some of the puzzles.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

Is that 100 dollar bill of someone? Or just a funny draw in?

It's Ben Franklin made to look like Ben from Full Throttle.

:allears:Schafer:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

I vote for the shooting gallery credits from Full Throttle. Make it an achievement (Dead Presidents) to shoot them all.

Actually I kind of vote for anything from Full Throttle.

This was Sam and Max, actually. Which wasn't Schafer, as I recall.

The Full Throttle ending would involve Flight of the Valkyries playing while a bunch of robot bunnies with the names of donors written on them hopped across the screen.

• Locked thread