Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Plop this in the middle of troll intro.

Trolls have always got the short end of the stick, being robbed of their land and screwed over time and again by the warring human nations... and the Circle, and I guess Cryx... pretty much every bastard that ever walked Immoren has done something lovely to the trolls at some stage really. It’s a pretty sad story with much pain and many tears, but forget all that poo poo, it is go time for the trolls and woe betide every tasty pink snack that gets in the way. Huge Dire Trolls from the depths of the wilds with mits the size of a medium sedan are coming for you. Cute as a button Pygmie trolls cheer up their bigger comrades by loving up all and sundry with elephant tyrannosaurus guns. Ranks of trollkin comprised of noble warriors, gatling gun wielding commandos and dudes that throw stone cabers at people gather to the united kriels under the watch of Chief Madrak Ironhide. Madrak being a dude with an axe so large it will eventually blow up the universe. Literally, it will blow up the universe and everything in it. These guys aren’t loving around.

Trolls have a seemingly simple play style: be stronger, harder and more violent that the other guy. To accomplish this, Trolls come with arguably the best buffs and support solos in the game at the expense of fury management and base mobility. Really though, who gives a gently caress about fury management and mobility when I can belt seven shades of poo poo out of everything on the planet! Trolls will rarely nix the opponent with debuffs (bar a couple of the more shifty Warlocks), but their combined buffs and simple, yet blindingly good synergies more than make up for any bullshit tricks from weak pathetic factions like Cryx and Legion who would rather cast pissy magic spells than lodge axes in brains and drink booze like the greatest faction in all of Hordes, Warmachine and anything else you care to mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Done. Double check my pros/cons to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up or leave anything important out, too.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 13, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I finally managed to score some Gun Mages on Bartertown, so if I can pick up the UA from the store I'll be able to piss people off with tons of Thunderbolts! Hooray!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I finally managed to score some Gun Mages on Bartertown, so if I can pick up the UA from the store I'll be able to piss people off with tons of Thunderbolts! Hooray!

Nice. They're a great addition to any highborn list. Are you running Ashlynn?

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Anyone know why the plastic Bane thralls are 79.99? Are they made with space age plastic or something?! I hate my metal ones, sine they fall apart easy, but drat yo, not gonna drop 80 on 10 plastic mans! Why are they almost as much as a battle engine?! :psyduck:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Theyre almost all metal, except resin shoulder pads I believe. I think their price is pretty close to what they used to cost, just now its a full unit in a box instead of the min + blisters

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

S.J. posted:

Nice. They're a great addition to any highborn list. Are you running Ashlynn?

Yea, Ashlynn is my main caster. These dudes will get to babysit my Mule and make everyone unhappy with me. I just realized that if you use Thunderbolt on the Mule, it pushes back everyone hit by the AOE. And if you crit, it pushes them AND throws them! Which will make for all sorts of hilarious poo poo.

This is the 35pt list I am going to run:

code:
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Rocinante (9pts)
* Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker (2pts)
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen (Alexia and 9 Risen Grunts) (5pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs (Sam and 9 Grunts) (7pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

PaintVagrant posted:

Theyre almost all metal, except resin shoulder pads I believe. I think their price is pretty close to what they used to cost, just now its a full unit in a box instead of the min + blisters
Ahhh, okay. Makes more sense.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
I don't have the MkII merc book, but the mention of Gun Mages and Ashlynn makes me wonder: does Ashlynn have a special ability like Magnus's Agenda that lets her use Cygnaran (or Menite) units in her army?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Pops posted:

I don't have the MkII merc book, but the mention of Gun Mages and Ashlynn makes me wonder: does Ashlynn have a special ability like Magnus's Agenda that lets her use Cygnaran (or Menite) units in her army?

Check the Highborn Covenant special rules. She can take one unit of Gun Mages or Long Gunners.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Pops posted:

As mentioned above, any Highborne army can take one unit of Gun Mages or Long Gunners, and two units of Precursor Knights (with UAs for any of those)

Ashlynn's Theme Force (Viva la Resistance) allows her to take up to two units of Gun Mages, two units of Precursor Knights, and the Gun Mage Captain Adept as a solo.

Basically, Llael actually had their own order of Gun Mages (called the Amethyst Rose) and fluffwise it's survivors have thrown in with Ashlynn as the best hope for their country. The Long Gunners are supposed to be remains of Llael militia (or marooned Cygnar allies) and the Precursors can be members of Llael's own templar orders (I forget their name).

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

As mentioned above, any Highborne army can take one unit of Gun Mages or Long Gunners, and two units of Precursor Knights (with UAs for any of those)

Ashlynn's Theme Force (Viva la Resistance) allows her to take up to two units of Gun Mages, two units of Precursor Knights, and the Gun Mage Captain Adept as a solo.

Basically, Llael actually had their own order of Gun Mages (called the Amethyst Rose) and fluffwise it's survivors have thrown in with Ashlynn as the best hope for their country. The Long Gunners are supposed to be remains of Llael militia (or marooned Cygnar allies) and the Precursors can be members of Llael's own templar orders (I forget their name).

I might be off, but I believe Gun Mages overall werea Llael thing. Llael made the guns and such. They bled over into Cygnar, and after the capture, just flat out became a Cygnar organization.

I still roll with my Viva list sometimes, I am happy you're playing Llael and succeeding. The Viva list is a little on the weak side.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashlynn is such an amazing caster. Seriously.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Raiche posted:

I might be off, but I believe Gun Mages overall werea Llael thing. Llael made the guns and such. They bled over into Cygnar, and after the capture, just flat out became a Cygnar organization.

Actually yea, you're pretty much right. Most alchemy and gun stuff was pioneered in Llael, and the Order of the Golden Crucible was based in Leryn. So they were really the center of that innovation. Cygnar got a hold of it second-hand, and adapted the Gun Mage training specifically for use as a military unit - the Amethyst Rose gun mages were basically a royal guard, and as Llael had been without a king for a while, had turned into a more self-focused, independent group. They're supposed to be flashier and trickier than the raw damage that Arcane Tempest mages put out.

quote:

I am happy you're playing Llael and succeeding. The Viva list is a little on the weak side.

Succeeding is probably an overstatement. On the other hand, my only win to date is with Ashlynn, so I'm doing better than with my other options! :v: I'd love to try the Viva force at some point, but my collection is not quite there yet to make it work.

Ashlynn is a great caster. I am excited to run her with Sylas, and it should take a little off the focus strain. Her feat is just amazing. I am basically the only Merc player at our store, and the first time people run against her they do a double take: Wait, two extra and you choose? And its during my turn too!?

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

S.J. posted:

Ashlynn is such an amazing caster. Seriously.

She really is my favorite. I don't usually go the way of combat casters, but she's just great at it. On feat turn I have taken out entire units charging her with Riposte.

I go with, but I haven't changed up in a long while,

code:
Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* 2x Vanguard (10pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (free)
* * Mule (8pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Mule (8pts)
Anastasia Di Bray (2pts)
Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan (2pts)
Precursor Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Precursor Knight Officer & Standard (2pts)
Taryn di la Rovissi (2pts)
E:
Feat turn makes me feel like a bad person. Only Vlad has ever managed to hit her on feat turn, and I would have won if I didn't take a riposte on a kayazy to give him room to attack.

Raiche fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 13, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tricky opponenets (with the right models) will screw you out of Riposte via Reach, so watch out for that though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Here's a question on her theme force - how do you use the Advance Deploy for her battlegroup? I haven't had the chance to run it, but it seems like it would just be putting her out forward without the protection of the rest of her list. Or do you just do it to get the chance to position her after seeing where the opponent is, and not worry about the advance too much?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Faction: Trollblood
Casters: 1/1
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
* Skaldi Bonehammer (3pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)

So based on this and the fact that I already have my Fenns, I'm going to start with

Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)

and then in April also buy the champs and skadi to swap in sometimes, and probably go ahead and get Horthol and the riders because toughalos rule.

I have been playing this game off and on for a little bit now but this is the first list I have settled on and gosh I am EXCITEDDDDDDDDD

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Here's a question on her theme force - how do you use the Advance Deploy for her battlegroup? I haven't had the chance to run it, but it seems like it would just be putting her out forward without the protection of the rest of her list. Or do you just do it to get the chance to position her after seeing where the opponent is, and not worry about the advance too much?

Mostly, she stays back and the Vanguards go on the very edge of her control. I usually want her behind Precursors.

The Vanguard placement is more "I put a Vanguard in their way." They're great jacks and will survive a few turns in most situations, so I use them for speedbumps. By the time my Vanguards are dead, both Mules are in place to ruin the day of whatever took them on.

If the enemy is exceptionally shooty, one Vanguard might stay back to take hits for Ashlynn.

The list becomes a weird mix of Yahtzee and Pinball until Anastasia can see their warcaster.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
Just glued together, based, and primed my Trollblood Warpack. I should also strip down my old Cryx army that's no doubt way outdated since I put it together 4-5 years ago. But it'll at least give my GF something to paint since she's said she wants to give it a shot and I want to horde the trolls to myself.

One thing about painting I hate is the feeling that you never have enough paints to get the colors you want. That coupled with the LGS not being too far down the road leads to disaster for my wallet.

edit: For an actual question, what would be recommended to bring the Warpack up to a 15 pt army? Fennblades seem to be a good option but I'm completely inexperienced.

Kill_Discussion fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2012

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Got a great deal on a bunch of Khador models and I'm looking to put together a new list. I am wondering what else I should add to bring it to 50.

code:

Kovnik Josef Griforovch
3 Winter Guard Rocketeers
5 Man O War Shocktroopers
10 Winter Guard Infantry
Winter guard officer and Standard Bearer
Forward Kommander Sorscha
Beast 09
Juggernaut
War Dog

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Verdugo posted:

Got a great deal on a bunch of Khador models and I'm looking to put together a new list. I am wondering what else I should add to bring it to 50.

code:

Kovnik Josef Griforovch
3 Winter Guard Rocketeers
5 Man O War Shocktroopers
10 Winter Guard Infantry
Winter guard officer and Standard Bearer
Forward Kommander Sorscha
Beast 09
Juggernaut
War Dog

Just FYI you can go to forwardkommander.com and use their clipboard for easy formatting:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Khador
Casters: 1/1
Forward Kommander Sorscha (*6pts)
* Beast-09 (11pts)
* Black Ivan (10pts)
* War dog (1pts)
Great Bears of Gallowswood (5pts)
Man-o-war Shocktroopers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Widowmakers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (4pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
* 3 Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeers (3pts)
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (3pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

Dunno about what exactly you'd want for eSorscha at 50 points since I don't see her too often, but this includes everything you picked up and, I think, some good additions. You could drop 2 rocketeers to pick up a Koldun Lord to feed 1 focus to Black Ivan for free every turn.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Raiche posted:

Mostly, she stays back and the Vanguards go on the very edge of her control. I usually want her behind Precursors.

The Vanguard placement is more "I put a Vanguard in their way." They're great jacks and will survive a few turns in most situations, so I use them for speedbumps. By the time my Vanguards are dead, both Mules are in place to ruin the day of whatever took them on.

I hadn't thought about just using it to bounce the Vanguards forward. They are great jacks and really annoying for people to deal with as interceptors and speedbumps. I've had mine block up any number of heavies, to say nothing of creating a big free-strike zone for infantry.

I really need to get a hold of a second one, mostly because they look baller as hell too. Poor Llael, pretty much all their stuff is amazing and cool, but it wasn't enough. :(

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I hadn't thought about just using it to bounce the Vanguards forward. They are great jacks and really annoying for people to deal with as interceptors and speedbumps. I've had mine block up any number of heavies, to say nothing of creating a big free-strike zone for infantry.

I really need to get a hold of a second one, mostly because they look baller as hell too. Poor Llael, pretty much all their stuff is amazing and cool, but it wasn't enough. :(

You get me exactly with the Vanguards.

In a depressing feat, I have never managed to use Ashlynn to beat Khador. I've won against everything else, but Khador just slaps her down. It makes me very sad.

To the Khador Person:

eSorscha should be bonding a Spriggan. There is very little so cool as charging in and then freezing whatever doesn't run away. Afterwards, you simply bulldoze the jack-cicles out of your way and charge something new. Other things can then kill his frozen victims.

I would recommend Beast-09 and a Spriggan for her jacks.

Additions to her list are pretty much anything that can abuse her feat turn. Small bases are good, especialy solos as they get more bang for the non-LOS blocking buck. This means manhunters!

I usually tried to fit in Demo Corps over Shocktroopers. There is literally nothing that can survive a Demo Corps on her feat turn. They sometimes have trouble hitting, but see above about freezing things.

I ran a list similar to you in my pre-Irusk days. At the end I stopped using her because it seemed every army I ran was centered around the feat turn.

Raiche fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 13, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Raiche posted:

In a depressing feat, I have never managed to use Ashlynn to beat Khador. I've won against everything else, but Khador just slaps her down. It makes me very sad.

To the Khador Person:

eSorscha should be bonding a Spriggan. There is very little so cool as charging in and then freezing whatever doesn't run away. Afterwards, you simply bulldoze the jack-cicles out of your way and charge something new.

I would recommend Beast-09 and a Spriggan for her jacks.

Additions to her list are pretty much anything that can abuse her feat turn. Small bases are good, especialy solos as they get more bang for the non-LOS blocking buck. This means manhunters!

I ran a list similar to you already! At the end I stopped using her because it seemed every army I ran was centered around the feat turn.

Two melee 'jacks isn't a great way to capitalize on her feat. She needs a destroyer/black ivan/behemoth for the bombards. Beast '09 can already be bonded to her, after all, though Bulldoze will clump dudes together.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

Two melee 'jacks isn't a great way to capitalize on her feat. She needs a destroyer/black ivan/behemoth for the bombards. Beast '09 can already be bonded to her, after all, though Bulldoze will clump dudes together.

Does Sorscha's feat and the Arm Piercing of the Behemoth stack? That looks like a ridiculous amount of damage output on the feat turn.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

S.J. posted:

I generally treated her feat as an all-or-nothing kind of thing. Other than the Behemoth, the shooting jacks would be better punching things to maximize damage. Mortars, winterguard, rocketeers.. those are where I got my ranged attacks.

You make better advice for an all-comers list. At the time I tended to play against beast-heavy Hordes people. I wanted two melee jacks because there was always more Carnivean-esque things to attack.

E:
To the above, yes. Behemoth halves the armor he hits, and all damage that exceeds the armor is doubled.

Raiche fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 13, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Raiche posted:

The only Khador matchup I've had since getting back into the game was against Vlad, and I lost that. I don't feeel too bad because I was still working out how the game had changed so I was highly confused. I'd like a rematch!

I started playing in MkI and for a while Sorscha was the dominant caster at the store (this was in the very beginning when her feat was absolutely sickening). My greatest triumph was having Ashlynn charge from outside feat range, and use Lunge to plant a killing blow on Sorscha. The Khador player cried, and for a day I was king. :allears:

My only victory in MkII has been against Trolls, but I am losing by less every time!

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I'm really having some trouble seeing how Warmachine can keep up with Hordes. If my bronzeback can cast his animus (which Warjacks don't have, and seriously why don't they have one?), then charge for a slam, wargauntlet, wargauntlet, and then buy extra attacks with his remaining fury, only to have all of that sucked out of them, POWERING his mage so he can do it again next turn.

Meanwhile, let's take a 'jack with 4 focus. His caster has to drain their own power to give that to them (making them LESS powerful, less armored, fewer spells, etc), then the jack can charge with the fist, then the other fist, then buy more attacks.

I'm just having real trouble seeing the balance here? I'm really not good on the warmachine rules, but every time I play against them they get trounced because of Focus allocation and how it's either 1) have a heavy that can stand up to my beasts or 2) have a caster that can cast spells but never both.

Do Jack Marshalls matter that much? Can they give focus? There's a balance issue here I've been wondering about for days (hell, my whole play group is, the Warmachine players are tired of us blasting the poo poo out of them with spells and then buying six attacks). It's not like 'Jacks get a ton of extra life/armor/abilities, so what gives?

Also, as an addendum to my Titan charging thing: A titan charges, and can slam instead if it wants. Does this slam get boosted damage for being during a charge? Can the titan still make it's hand/hand attacks like it could on a normal charge?

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Swags posted:

I'm really having some trouble seeing how Warmachine can keep up with Hordes. If my bronzeback can cast his animus (which Warjacks don't have, and seriously why don't they have one?), then charge for a slam, wargauntlet, wargauntlet, and then buy extra attacks with his remaining fury, only to have all of that sucked out of them, POWERING his mage so he can do it again next turn.

Meanwhile, let's take a 'jack with 4 focus. His caster has to drain their own power to give that to them (making them LESS powerful, less armored, fewer spells, etc), then the jack can charge with the fist, then the other fist, then buy more attacks.

I'm just having real trouble seeing the balance here? I'm really not good on the warmachine rules, but every time I play against them they get trounced because of Focus allocation and how it's either 1) have a heavy that can stand up to my beasts or 2) have a caster that can cast spells but never both.

Do Jack Marshalls matter that much? Can they give focus? There's a balance issue here I've been wondering about for days (hell, my whole play group is, the Warmachine players are tired of us blasting the poo poo out of them with spells and then buying six attacks). It's not like 'Jacks get a ton of extra life/armor/abilities, so what gives?

Jack Marshalls can give their jack -A- boosted attack or damage, or the various orders. It's like having one focus. They usually have a Drive that makes the jack do something weird, like double move.

If I have my single caster, and you your 'lock, and it's single heavy vs single heavy, yeah... a Hordes person will win. This can be crazy frustrating if we're playing beast heavy vs jack heavy. I stomp like a 3 year old if I'm running heavy warjacks against LoE heavy warbeasts. Especially when I miss killing a beast by one hitpoint and next turn you're just going to heal it two hp and make it a fully functional beast.

But then I win by picking up his warbeast and throwing it out of control range. A jack thrown out of control range would just move back in and take a lame attack. Your beast frenzies, and you're denied fury. My caster just does something else with the focus. (Did this to someone's Scythean and I could see the vein in his head throb).

Basically, when the board is clean and no damage is applied, you have the advantage. When one of your beasts is nearly dead, you have the advantage. Once I kill a beast, it's all downhill. I cut up your fury generation. Kill all my warjacks, and I just cast spells instead.

Also, all WM factions have a mechanic who will go slap that jack back together. Usually, unless I forget, Hordes factions don't have the same functionality. It's on a standing stone, or you eat another model. It's not so straightforward.

E:

Warcasters tend to be pretty good without the focus. 14/16 or something. With focus camping I can easily take even a squishy caster and chill at Warjack armor. Warlocks can't do this, almost every one of them is as squishy as my worst caster. Warmachine assassin lists are more successful against Hordes than other Warmachine lists a lot of the time.

And please, keep the fury to transfer. Then a kayazy can kill a Carnivean. I would have preferred your Warlock, but there is something hilarious about a kayazy doing 10 damage to a heavy warbeast indirectly.

I ah.. bounce around a lot. I have played more WM v Hordes than WM v WM. I guess it comes down to... yes, your beasts are 1 for 1 better. My non-beast alternatives are better. My focus is consistent, your fury can be a hazard. Neither is really better, it just makes a whole new playstyle.

Raiche fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 13, 2012

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Just as an addendum to the above post, (I play fighting gamess and stuff like tier lists get thrown around alot)

TempleCon Masters Breakdown of Players

Tom Hoffman - Cryx
Jamie Perkins - Khador
Micheal Winters - Cryx
Jordan White - Skorne
Jarred Robitalle - Gators
Josh Pearson - Trollbloods
Jeremy Miller - Cryx
Will Pagini - Circle
Jason Flanzer - Khador
Keith Christianson - Cryx
Erik Nelson - Cryx
Chad Shonkwiller - Trollbloods
Billy Robin - Legion
Jason Watt - Skorne
Solomon lapel-Kuni - Trollsbloods
John DeMaris - Protectorate of Menoth

UK Masters

1 Jamie Perkins (Khador)
2 Aaron Boyhan (Cryx)
3 Edwin Smith (Cryx)
4 Jim Lawrence (Circle Orboros)
5 Patrick Vance (Legion of Everblight)
6 Phil Manwaring (Trollbloods)
7 Dave Payton (Protectorate of Menoth)
8 Gary Moore (Protectorate of Menoth)
9 Ben Josling (Protectorate of Menoth)
10 John Snape (Skorne)

I know this isn't telling you much without seeing the lists, other than Warmachine is still very strong but one army is not the best (its cryx, cryx is the best :v:)

It's like Raiche said, sure it's hard to take down a beast one on one. What your opponents should do is use their (usually) superior infantry along with their jacks to kill the beasts. Then you don't have any fury and you're effed in your a!

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 13, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Swags posted:

Also, as an addendum to my Titan charging thing: A titan charges, and can slam instead if it wants. Does this slam get boosted damage for being during a charge? Can the titan still make it's hand/hand attacks like it could on a normal charge?

Look at all your skorne casters feats. Then grab a cryx book, and look at all their feats.

Then look at your skorne infantry. Swordsmen seem pretty cool, nihilators, cetratii. Solid options.

Then look at cryx options. Banes. Satyxis. Mechthralls. Blood witches. bloodgorgers. blackbanes ghost raiders.

All of those are better than any skorne (or hordes) equivilent. Its not even loving close.

Also:
You can either charge, or slam. Slam is basically a modified charge, and once a beast slams its not getting any more melee attacks unless the slammed target stopped still within the beasts melee range. Or it has follow up, like the titan gladiator.

What Im getting at is, yes, beasts are better. Warmachine has WAY better feats, spell lists, infantry, and solos, and has more access to the flat out broken merc solos like epic eiryss and gorman. Its balanced, and imo still leans towards warmachine because of their plethora of options.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Beasts also seem to be expensive compared to jacks. Like a good heavy is what, 9-10 points? For six points I can get a DEF10/ARM19 jack with a PS17 attack and an open fist. Also 30 boxes. Not too shabby.

Raiche posted:

Jack Marshalls can give their jack -A- boosted attack or damage, or the various orders. It's like having one focus. They usually have a Drive that makes the jack do something weird, like double move.

Just to be really clear here, the Marshal bonus allows you to do one of the following: buy an attack, boost a single roll, or charge. It cannot be used to slam, trample, perform locks, or throws. You also cannot use it to shake off continuous effects. Note that it is not a focus, so your jack still gets this if it has been Disrupted or has a disabled Cortex!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PaintVagrant posted:

The Truth (tm)

For example, I can only imagine the horrible horrible things my Trollbloods could do if, for example, Borka Kegslayer's feat was "Enemy models currently in Borka's control area are knocked down."

Another Troll favorite could be: "Enemy models currently in Grim's control area suffer -2 to their SPD, STR, MAT, RAT, DEF, ARM, and Focus and cannot run or make special attacks."

Also, compare the total poo poo spells belonging to most Hordes warlocks. How many Warcasters have a spell list that contains 3 spells? In addition, there aren't as many Fury 7 and higher warlocks. They are a dime a dozen in Warmachine. There is a huge difference in 7+2d6 and 6+2d6 for magic attack rolls.

Furthermore, Hordes forces (for the most part) still struggle with enemy upkeeps.

So, to make up for that, we get badass trolls who will eat you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

All of those are better than any skorne (or hordes) equivilent. Its not even loving close.

This is not true at all. The issue isn't even whether or not the base units are equally as good, but how they fit into the faction as a whole, ie, what kinds of buffs/debuffs are available. And cryx is a probably the most extreme end of that spectrum, to the point where even other WM factions look at them jealously. While Circle and Legion tend to have poor troops (which isn't that big of a deal, since the facions are designed around that and their beasts are god damned ridiculous in a way that warjacks aren't even close to), Skorne and Trolls have some infantry that are just straight up good, and absolutely cannot be discounted.

And a lot of this comes down to the fact that even now, Hordes players are like 2 releases behind warmachine, so it's an asymmetrical argument anyway. It's just as big of an issue of caster/unit combo availability as anything, and WM just has more options since they're ahead on releases.

I can tell you that as a Cygnar player, there are plenty of Hordes units that I'd loving kill to have access too (especially loving in faction, grumble grumble grumble) :v:

S.J. fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 13, 2012

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oh man, if I could have eSkarre's feat in Circle...

Hordes has occasional bright spots in terms of infantry though. Tharn Bloodtrackers are legitimately good infantry by either system's standards. They're not armor-crackers, sure, but they're brilliant at almost everything else. If I could run Bloodtrackers with pDenny, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I bought the Deneghra battlebox about a month ago. Had a lot of fun with it, just went down to my shop this Saturday and spent another $150 and placed a huge order as well :( and :)

I bought Bane Lord Tartarsauce, a Pistol Wraith, Rippers, and the Wraith Engine.
Placed an order for some Bane Thralls, Mechanithralls, Necrosurgeons, Bloat Thralls (those are the solos, right?) and a Skarlock Thrall.

I've never spent so much on a tabletop so quickly before, but I'm really excited to jump into the deepend and play my first 35-point game.

Based off Goon recomendations and reading the book that was the list I came up with. Since I've only played 15-point box games though, can you guys provide some pointers for a newcomer to Cryx / Warmachine?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sab669 posted:

So I bought the Deneghra battlebox about a month ago. Had a lot of fun with it, just went down to my shop this Saturday and spent another $150 and placed a huge order as well :( and :)

I bought Bane Lord Tartarsauce, a Pistol Wraith, Rippers, and the Wraith Engine.
Placed an order for some Bane Thralls, Mechanithralls, Necrosurgeons, Bloat Thralls (those are the solos, right?) and a Skarlock Thrall.

I've never spent so much on a tabletop so quickly before, but I'm really excited to jump into the deepend and play my first 35-point game.

Based off Goon recomendations and reading the book that was the list I came up with. Since I've only played 15-point box games though, can you guys provide some pointers for a newcomer to Cryx / Warmachine?

Bloat Thralls really aren't considered that great, but there are plenty of things they'll do well against. Just keep them the gently caress away from your own dudes. Other than that, you'll want to pick up a Necrosurgeon + Stitch Thrall unit eventually, the Bane Thrall UA to piss people off, and Seethers are loving spectacular with any caster that can provide an armor debuff or STR buff.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

S.J. posted:

This is not true at all.

I think youd better cross-reference your skorne and cryx books again. With no buffs available at all, the cryx equivilents are all better for their points.

Not to mention, as you mention, the argument can be made that cryx has the better faction buffs, and of course feats like +5 STR/+5 ARM in a 14" control MIGHT make them hit a little harder.

To counter all that horseshit, I have molik, the bronzeback, and tiberion, all augmented with paingivers. Fair trade.

e: Im sorry cygnar got the worst warmachine infantry :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

I think youd better cross-reference your skorne and cryx books again. With no buffs available at all, the cryx equivilents are all better for their points.

Not to mention, as you mention, the argument can be made that cryx has the better faction buffs, and of course feats like +5 STR/+5 ARM in a 14" control MIGHT make them hit a little harder.

To counter all that horseshit, I have molik, the bronzeback, and tiberion, all augmented with paingivers. Fair trade.

e: Im sorry cygnar got the worst warmachine infantry :smith:

You're comparing in a vacuum that doesn't exist. And I didn't say Skorne troops were better than Cryx, but for the price, the good Skorne options aren't inherently worse than the good Cryx options, they just fit into the faction way differently, and Hordes is still like 2 releases behind.

Also yeah fukkin Cygnar non-gunmages :smith:

• Locked thread