Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Oh my god you guys, seriously.

We can talk about pigs in a blanket, though:

wafflesnsegways posted:

OK, everyone's bragging about how big their adventurous food dicks are, but I want to go the other way. What have you ordered that was too much for you to handle?

I thought Natto would be right up my alley, but it turns out that I am just not that wordily. Did OK for the first couple bites, but when that aftertaste really sank in, I had to give up.

And I recently got a bowl of yen ta fo at a Thai restaurant. This one I finished, but the intense acid with the intense sweetness, and the fish flavors... I'm making it sound really good, actually, but it was just too intense for me.

Whenever natto gets brought up, I feel compelled to being back cooking with charmmi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERD3jWOcdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I was just thinking we were overdue for a purge.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Whenever natto gets brought up, I feel compelled to being back cooking with charmmi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERD3jWOcdY

It smells like... an attic?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I never thought I'd use the words "good idea" and "mediaphage" together, but good show.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thank you mp

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For me, that would be durian and a fish based pho that I tried. Durian is like eating farts, and I swear anyone who claims to like it is just waving their food dick around to impress others. Food should not taste like garbage.

Durian is creamy and doesn't actually taste bad it just smells bad, so I think it's more like eating pudding while someone is farting in your face

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Vegetable Melange posted:

I never thought I'd use the words "good idea" and "mediaphage" together, but good show.

>:[

I'm going to pretend it's because how often are you really going to use the word 'mediaphage'?

Steve Yun posted:

Durian is creamy and doesn't actually taste bad it just smells bad, so I think it's more like eating pudding while someone is farting in your face

Before I knew what durian was, I bought some kind of durian coconut milk ice cream from Jungle Jim's and I thought it was pretty good.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
They sell durian at the farmers market near my place. I have never tried it, but I may need to now. They have both fresh and frozen.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Lutefisk. With cream sauce.
I know there are whole cults devoted to the stuff but to me it tastes almost completely, but not entirely, unlike fish.

I was supposed to get a taste of Surstromming, but I have been led to believe that due to norming of federal regulations with EU laws DHS now considers it a hazardous material and requires a special license to import.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ground fleur

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

You prude.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sewage cheese at the pseudo-farmer's market in Columbus. I tried it one day and it was just...ugh :gonk:. It tasted like sewage smells, I forget what it was called though.

Also ground fleur de sel, phlux. :colbert:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Not so much because of the flavor, but water chestnuts and lotus root drive me up a wall. That squeaky, styrofoam-like texture disturbs me so much, I just can't stand it.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

pnumoman posted:

Not so much because of the flavor, but water chestnuts and lotus root drive me up a wall. That squeaky, styrofoam-like texture disturbs me so much, I just can't stand it.

I absolutely know what you mean, my mother has made a water chestnut appetizer forever and every so often I try one but I just have an issue with it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

sewage cheese at the pseudo-farmer's market in Columbus. I tried it one day and it was just...ugh :gonk:. It tasted like sewage smells, I forget what it was called though.

Also ground fleur de sel, phlux. :colbert:

yep that was the joke

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Guys, that last thread lasted 66 pages. That's pathetic.

I ordered some larb at a local Thai restaurant and asked for it to come back right spicy. It was spicy alright, but it also smelled like straight up farts. I don't know what it was, but it was rank. There was just no way my girlfriend and I could eat it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

yep that was the joke

Good joke.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Peaches. The fuzz is horrible. It is bad to me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'll happily take all your durian. And jackfruit, while we're there. IPA beer. gently caress that noise, it's way too bitter.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Kenning posted:

Guys, that last thread lasted 66 pages. That's pathetic.

I ordered some larb at a local Thai restaurant and asked for it to come back right spicy. It was spicy alright, but it also smelled like straight up farts. I don't know what it was, but it was rank. There was just no way my girlfriend and I could eat it.

Maybe they amped the heat with nuoc nam, thus also adding smelly fish sauce to the dishes?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

IPA beer. gently caress that noise, it's way too bitter.

And you call yourself Indian.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

Peaches. The fuzz is horrible. It is bad to me.

There is this trick. Dip the peaches in boiling water for a count of 5, and then the skin peels right off. I only ate the skin when I was sneaking them from the orchard.

It reminds me of the Germans complaing that the tamales were tasty but the wrapper was too stringy and tough. When someone told them the secret (don't eat the corn husks), they went and unwrapped the burritos too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahahah that's hilarious.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Ground floor posting!

I'm really not a fan of sushi anymore, mostly because I can't justify the cost when really good fish and mediocre fish taste almost the same to my palate. I think smoking, hard liquor, and flavorpunch food have taken their toll, because I remember I used to enjoy it a lot more.

Will still eat the hell out of uni though, and japanese food is so varied that losing sushi isn't a big hit.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Halalelujah posted:

Ground floor posting!

I'm really not a fan of sushi anymore, mostly because I can't justify the cost when really good fish and mediocre fish taste almost the same to my palate. I think smoking, hard liquor, and flavorpunch food have taken their toll, because I remember I used to enjoy it a lot more.

Will still eat the hell out of uni though, and japanese food is so varied that losing sushi isn't a big hit.

I'm kinda approaching that from the other way around. I've eaten lots of really good sushi since I was young, so all the sushi I have access to now just tastes... mediocre. And now that I'm paying for my sushi, instead of mooching off of rich relatives when I was young, I'm really not willing to go and pony up serious percentages of my paycheck for some sushi that reminds me of what I used to eat.

And I'm really not willing to go around to the neighborhood "sushi" joint and pay like 7 bucks for a "dragon" roll or whatever the gently caress the kids eat nowadays.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

pnumoman posted:

I'm kinda approaching that from the other way around. I've eaten lots of really good sushi since I was young, so all the sushi I have access to now just tastes... mediocre. And now that I'm paying for my sushi, instead of mooching off of rich relatives when I was young, I'm really not willing to go and pony up serious percentages of my paycheck for some sushi that reminds me of what I used to eat.

And I'm really not willing to go around to the neighborhood "sushi" joint and pay like 7 bucks for a "dragon" roll or whatever the gently caress the kids eat nowadays.

Yeah, I feel the same way about eating some tex wasabi sushi poo poo, it basically eliminates the point of eating raw fish, which is tasting the quality. There is some stuff I really like still (I had this uni/foie sushi thing and Nobu Malibu) but that isn't really sushi and it is super expensive.

I also think I am becoming obsessed with this restaurant near my place which is really awesome, but every time I go I am seriously disappointed by at least one item. It's fairly new, but it feels like a bad girlfriend.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

Ground floor posting!

:smith: I am incredibly saddened by American sushi. I'd love to have some inari, but nobody seems to really make it around here. At least I found a good place for soba. But there's so many places into fusion stuff it kinda blows my mind.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Lavendar anything. Stop putting lavendar in desserts, it tastes like soap. loving gross.
Mussels. I keep trying them but I just don't really like them. Clams are awesome though.
Although I don't like raw clams on my sushi. Not a fan of that snappy rubberbandy texture. Nope.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Mussels taste like low tide.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

Mussels taste like low tide.

Which is awesome, or you grew up in a fishing village in New England plagued by horrors from beyond the deep.

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012
I always claimed my sister had that Innsmouth Look.
Slightly lumpy, pop-eyed, good swimmer...
God (or gods) know, we are all crazy enough.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

kiteless posted:

Lavendar anything. Stop putting lavendar in desserts, it tastes like soap. loving gross.
Mussels. I keep trying them but I just don't really like them. Clams are awesome though.
Although I don't like raw clams on my sushi. Not a fan of that snappy rubberbandy texture. Nope.

I have to disagree with most of this...

Christopher Elbow makes some amazing chocolates filled with a lavender caramel. As far as mussels go, they're awesome...especially when served with fries. Low tide smells like...well, if I walk out my door. It smells like "the bay."

:ssh: "The Bay" smells like poo poo.

I've only had clams in my linguine, in my chowdah, or in my Treasure Chest, and they're clearly awesome in all of those instances.

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012
Speaking of HP Lovecraft, I had a calamari soup once that was disturbing. It had tiny little squid that were in these contorted poses poking up through an opaque milk chowder sort of soup. made me want to run my steam ship through them all, damned hell-cephalopods

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Desiree Cousteau posted:

Speaking of HP Lovecraft, I had a calamari soup once that was disturbing. It had tiny little squid that were in these contorted poses poking up through an opaque milk chowder sort of soup. made me want to run my steam ship through them all, damned hell-cephalopods

I had those in some sort of mixed seafood fra diavolo thing. It was delicious, and had the additional bonus of freaking my sister out.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Had grilled baby octopus deviled eggs at do or dine a few weeks ago, the heads stuffed with cornichorn, tentacles sticking out of the yolks. Creepy delicious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cheddar and sour cream Ruffles make me gag every time. Also Spaghettios.

Durian owns bones, though.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Agreed with the lavender, I don't understand it... it isn't a nice dessert flavour. Even when it's done really well it's still not great and I just thinking about all the different more awesome flavours you could have used instead.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

There is this trick. Dip the peaches in boiling water for a count of 5, and then the skin peels right off. I only ate the skin when I was sneaking them from the orchard.

I know, which is why my peaches are mostly eaten as either cobblers or peach marmalade. I can submit to such a fate. The main problem is that good peaches have been difficult to get hold of the last few years, a peach shouldn't be crispy like an apple dammit :(

Lavender is a horrible British fop-thing which I think grew out of the whole Provenco-romanticism of the nineties coupled later with St. Nigella-of-the-Bountiful-Bosom using it, which is weird considering how she otherwise has pretty good taste.

I didn't enjoy durian very much the first time, but it's grown on me a lot and now I love the stuff.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have tried durian, and I really wanted to like it. It was in a desert with shaved ice.

Could only take a couple of bites, then the sulfuric fumes was making me gag. It smelled like it was made with mercaptoethanol, a familiar smell to anyone who has worked in a molecular biology lab. Sun ripe garbage is the closest thing.

Haven't tried fresh durian, will try if I get the opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Lavender smells like old people. Why would you ever want a dessert that tasted like old people?