Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'll be in London from 13th April till 28 April, anyone for meeting up and eating a food?

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Looking for a good place in San Francisco to take the kid and MY GIRLFRIEND in a couple of weekends for supper. I was thinking somewhere in Chinatown - suggestions?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Looking for a good place in San Francisco to take the kid and MY GIRLFRIEND in a couple of weekends for supper. I was thinking somewhere in Chinatown - suggestions?

Z&Y, in chinatown. Tommy's mexican for margaritas. El Tepa for burritos.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

Z&Y, in chinatown. Tommy's mexican for margaritas. El Tepa for burritos.

Z&Y it is for supper, thanks. We'll probably pass on margaritas since we will be very busy going to museums and such with a 9 year old, but I'm pretty good at following my nose for burritos when I'm in town. Though I've never been able to get over the whole "putting rice in the burrito" thing - that's where the french fries are supposed to go!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Though I've never been able to get over the whole "putting rice in the burrito" thing - that's where the french fries are supposed to go!

Spoken like a true Inland Empirer

I don't know, I like both the Mission Burrito and the California Burrito, I prefer the former with carnitas, the latter with carne asada and while really frakin drunk.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

El Tepa is probably the best I've ever had. Get the mole.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

I'll be in London from 13th April till 28 April, anyone for meeting up and eating a food?

Yeah! If you are in Soho or nearby for a lunch I'll meet you! PM me.

Prunes and oranges sound like a powerful drain cleaner to me, if you know what I'm saying. Useful with all that matzah.

I LOVE matzah so I really like Passover.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sweet Rattle, PM sent! I'm totally up for it!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This afternoon I took my son hiking and we found this place:

And on top of it we found this cute little guy and his unhatched little broseph:

Good thing his momma was off hunting or something.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
PRUNES! How could I forget one of my favourite dried fruits? Thanks, Cuddle.

As for the sickly sweet Kosher wine, we don't have to serve those anymore, as there are some /very/ excellent Kosher wines that are coming out of Spain, Italy, Israel, and California, which taste pretty awesome. They're a touch more pricey than the regular wines, but the flavour is definitely there now. I've yet to find a Cab that I'm loving, but the Rioja (Cardova), the Pinot Noir (Herzog, I belieeeeeve), and the Chard (Wienstock? Or was that Alfasi?) are all quite excellent.

@CE: Thanks! I hoped that other Indians would enjoy it for sort of veering a bit off the beaten path, and trying to incorporate more American ingredients and conveniences to our cooking style.

Because the Sephardic Jews are allowed to use all the spices, their Charoset tends to be full of different spices, all kinds of nuts, all kinds of dried fruit, lots of fresh fruit, and enough wine to make it possible to grind the whole thing down to a paste. The Ashkenazi version tends to be bland as hell, because they can't use spices, as they're all kitniyot apparently.

@TheRattle: It's not that we have an issue with the chametz, per se. Sure, we'll still be serving wheat bread, but it's easy as hell to avoid chametz, because half the food at the restaurant is gluten free already. It's when you're serving Ashkenaz, which is like 90% of New York, you have to avoid kitniyot. >_< Which, frankly, is the most frustrating exercise in vein-popping rage ever. Every year, the rabbis get more assholey about the loving kitniyot, and I've had it up to here and back about it already.

Even whole spices, where you can SEE THAT THERE IS NO loving CHAMETZ are showing up on the list. So apparently, flax and chia seeds are fine, as long as you do a cursory inspection to make sure it's not got chametz-taminated, but now FENUGREEK and CARDAMOM are showing up on the lists. gently caress you, OU. How the crap is a seed that's /bigger/ than flax supposed to be contaminated? ARGH.

A couple of years back, Quinoa was all the rage, because it's not even a goddamned grain. Ashkenaz who keep gluten free (you'd be surprised at the sheer volume of Ashkenazi Jewish people who have Coeliac's disease) were able to happily munch on quinoa for Passover. Now, it's showing up on the OU list.

Fortunately, most of the Ashkenaz who call the restaurant have a sensible approach. As long as it's not blatantly kitniyot, they're not asking too many other questions. So like, as long as there's no legumes or grains, they're cool, and the quinoa issue seems to be fine too. They're not /complaining/ about the foods with the spices in, like the kale with Dijon dressing on it, and a few of 'em are even ordering it, so it's making my head hurt a lot less.

For the week of, we're switching from brown rice syrup to agave syrup for the sugar free macaroons, and we're switching to olive oil (from Canola or sesame) for anything that doesn't /need/ to be cooked in a particular kind of oil to taste right. It's why I'm endlessly grateful that my friends aren't bothering with the kitniyot poo poo. I can make food with actual content in it, and that's pretty awesome.

Mind you, I'm whining /way/ more than I should be, because I can still use any herb, garlic, onions, any vegetable, and any fruit, with no problems. The whole no grains, legumes, peas, or seeds is just making me mildly annoyed, because it's severely limiting what I can offer as specials for folk who are undergoing the Passover thing, because in a vegan restaurant, grains, legumes, and seeds form entire food groups for us. XD

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

dino. posted:

As for the sickly sweet Kosher wine, we don't have to serve those anymore, as there are some /very/ excellent Kosher wines that are coming out of Spain, Italy, Israel, and California, which taste pretty awesome. They're a touch more pricey than the regular wines, but the flavour is definitely there now. I've yet to find a Cab that I'm loving, but the Rioja (Cardova), the Pinot Noir (Herzog, I belieeeeeve), and the Chard (Wienstock? Or was that Alfasi?) are all quite excellent.

Manischewitz was the first wine I ever tasted, and passover isn't right without it. You don't have to drink it, but it has to be there. What are religious holidays for if not a vague nostalgia and sense of misguided tradition?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just smell stuff and if it doesn't make me gag I put it in my mouth. People make things too complicated.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Halal: A friend of mine has a love for Marilyn Monroe. She grew up in Iran, until her family moved to NYC when she was in High School. I loaded up a bunch of Marilyn Monroe's songs on my iPhone, and played it for her today, as we cleared out her storage room. She really got a happy warm feeling from it. Thanks for indulging me in my Monroe love. She really is quite divine and fabulous.

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

dino, You've probably done it a bunch of times before, but could I get a link to your book.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
My wife took me out for my annual sushi dinner last night for my birthday. Fantastic stuff. I had a couple of questions that the folks at the restaurant couldn't really answer for me though. So of course I turn to internet strangers.

My kids got a grilled chicken and vegetable dish. It was garnished with chips of some thinly sliced, deep fried vegetable that I couldn't identify. Circular in shape with symmetrical holes in it. They looked like 1-2" diameter lace doilies.

They comped me an ice cream dessert, and it was delicious, but the ice cream was wrapped in a gelatinous shell. I've never encountered it before. It was sticky and chewy and delicious. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Phummus posted:

My wife took me out for my annual sushi dinner last night for my birthday. Fantastic stuff. I had a couple of questions that the folks at the restaurant couldn't really answer for me though. So of course I turn to internet strangers.

My kids got a grilled chicken and vegetable dish. It was garnished with chips of some thinly sliced, deep fried vegetable that I couldn't identify. Circular in shape with symmetrical holes in it. They looked like 1-2" diameter lace doilies.

They comped me an ice cream dessert, and it was delicious, but the ice cream was wrapped in a gelatinous shell. I've never encountered it before. It was sticky and chewy and delicious. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

Lotus root and mochi ice cream.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Lotus root and mochi ice cream.

drat, that was fast. Thanks!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Phummus posted:

drat, that was fast. Thanks!

It's only because I hate lotus root (and water chestnuts) with an undying passion. Just something about the texture makes me feel like I'm chewing styrofoam.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
So I've got like a quart of lime cilantro mayo in my fridge, what type of dishes can I make my vegetarian wife to help use this up?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Really? When I've had lotus root, it's just like a potato: either a super crisp potato chip or a nice stewed potato.

Head Movement posted:

dino, You've probably done it a bunch of times before, but could I get a link to your book.
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333544942&sr=8-1

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

So I've got like a quart of lime cilantro mayo in my fridge, what type of dishes can I make my vegetarian wife to help use this up?

Chicken oven-roasted veggie salad maybe? Or just take it with you to bed and have fun

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Really? When I've had lotus root, it's just like a potato: either a super crisp potato chip or a nice stewed potato.

My ma's favorite way of making lotus root was to lightly saute with soy sauce sweetened with malt syrup. She liked the crunch; I detested it. If I had it fried or stewed, I probably wouldn't hate it as much now.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

A cookbook from sometime in the 14th century was recently discovered in a British library. One of the recipes is for roasted unicorne.

http://www.booktryst.com/2012/04/unicorn-recipre-discovered-in-lost.html

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Heh. Note date of original posting: http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/04/unicorn-cookbook-found-at-the-british-library.html

Head Movement
Sep 29, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333544942&sr=8-1

Thanks muchly.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Why do you have to go and ruin all my fun things!?!?!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Phummus posted:

Why do you have to go and ruin all my fun things!?!?!

They're screwing with you, man. Everyone knows British people do the ultimate troll on the world on April Fools, because they have a tradition of not fooling people on April 1, but making it seem like it's a trick, so everyone gets confused.

Fear not, unicorn recipes are real! Really, really real!

Oh, and would you be interested in buying a bridge? I got some sweet deals, man.

EDIT: In all honesty, I feel ya. I don't like April Fools because I am fairly easy to fool over the internet; I remember falling hard for a slashdot April Fools joke that involved the 'discovery' of a new color that you couldn't see because, duh, your monitor can't display a color it doesn't know.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Sweet potato falafels.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Phummus posted:

You only get sushi once a year?! That's horrible!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

You only get sushi once a year?! That's horrible!

I get supermarket sushi from time to time, and if one of my vendors offers lunch, I will pick a sushi joing 5 times out of 7. But the tradition is that my b-day dinner is sushi at a nice restaurant. I am fond of this tradition.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

COOK THE VEGETARIAN AND PLATE WITH CILANTRO MAYO

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

SYFY HYPHY posted:

COOK THE VEGETARIAN AND PLATE WITH CILANTRO MAYO

Trip report: tried to kill my wife and cook her. She gave me a black eye and a wedgie and told me to make myself scarce for a while unless I want "another one to go along with the first one", she then pointed at my broken eye and slowly made a fist.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
a double wedgie was threatened?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
gently caress - trying to pick up french, my english is suffering badly!

What the hell is wrong with me? I have an inability to keep more than two languages active in my head at once?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Phummus posted:

I get supermarket sushi from time to time, and if one of my vendors offers lunch, I will pick a sushi joing 5 times out of 7. But the tradition is that my b-day dinner is sushi at a nice restaurant. I am fond of this tradition.

I think what I'm saying is what the gently caress go eat some fish.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

gently caress - trying to pick up french, my english is suffering badly!

What the hell is wrong with me? I have an inability to keep more than two languages active in my head at once?
You moron! Why aren't you a polyglot like all of us? (I speak English well, Afrikaans extremely poorly, and have a smattering of menu and basic French. You're doing pretty drat well.)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drink and Fight posted:

This is good advice. Also those little loving bite-sized crabs, and octopus.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

bunnielab posted:

I just smell stuff and if it doesn't make me gag I put it in my mouth. People make things too complicated.

This is my rule for oral sex as well as food.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

NosmoKing posted:

You must be real popular during Fleet Week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

This is what I read:

Drink and Fight posted:

SubG posted:

This is good advice. Also those little loving bite-sized crabs, and octopus.

NosmoKing posted:

SubG posted:

You must be real popular during Fleet Week.