Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«708 »
SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfiFFYpOB9Y#t=623s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Where can I buy one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I would never shop at Costco. The paper towels won't fit into my sports car!

Aside from taking up valuable oven space, having an in stovetop pressure cooker is a super cool idea. I would love that.

OMGVBFLOL
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lmao they have to spend 30 seconds addressing why itís a man in the kitchen talking about appliances and it amounts to blaming an off-camera woman for being histronic about her perm

jesus christ

GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

so um, is a 3 L instant pot big enough for two people or should I spring for a 6 L? asking for a friend.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

so um, is a 3 L instant pot big enough for two people or should I spring for a 6 L? asking for a friend.

You can still only fill them like 2/3 full, right? I'd prefer the option to have more leftovers than that, or be able to cook for more people, personally.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Get the 6.

My wife and I have been trying various grains lately. We've both fallen head over heels for farro, and had some millet last night. Millet is okay...it's kind of like quinoa. Didn't have much flavor of its own, just whatever it absorbed from the bean broth I cooked it in. Chopped up a bunch of dill and feta and mixed it all in with some lemon juice, overall it was delicious. Probably because of the cheese.

Oh yeah, also, we bought some saffron this weekend but have never used it before. What's the best first exposure dish to make using some?

The Midniter fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2018 around 16:43

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

JakeP Heroes of the Storm Fan Club President
"When I grow up, I want to be just like JakeP from the Something Awful Heroes of the Storm Thread!"
-BrianBoitano

Farro and millet are the tits. Here is my favorite recipe for each:

Farro: http://keeprecipes.com/recipe/howtocook/kale-salad-2
Millet: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/m...allion-pancakes

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Get the 6.

My wife and I have been trying various grains lately. We've both fallen head over heels for farro, and had some millet last night. Millet is okay...it's kind of like quinoa. Didn't have much flavor of its own, just whatever it absorbed from the bean broth I cooked it in. Chopped up a bunch of dill and feta and mixed it all in with some lemon juice, overall it was delicious. Probably because of the cheese.

Oh yeah, also, we bought some saffron this weekend but have never used it before. What's the best first exposure dish to make using some?

paella if you can swing it.

Make sure to bloom the saffron in hot water before you use it. Some people crush it up in a mortar and pestle too, but basically you need to steep it a bit before you put it in a dish to make sure you get the most flavor out of it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007

I'm a family man - I run a family business. This is my son and my partner, H.W.

Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

paella if you can swing it.

Make sure to bloom the saffron in hot water before you use it. Some people crush it up in a mortar and pestle too, but basically you need to steep it a bit before you put it in a dish to make sure you get the most flavor out of it.

Good call. A Spanish-flavoured rice pudding is also very good with saffron.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Since coming here to Vegas, I have eaten and drank so well. It's really phenomenal, living here everyday, with all of the choices available. I'm working out every day too,and still not dropping weight.

Tonight's pleasant surprise: eating on invitation with others at a Chinese buffet and finding, amid the king pao chicken, a ton of delicious super authentic stuff with a heavy emphasis on soups, greens, and seafood.

Best experience so far, though, was getting drunk on absinthe at downtown cocktails and then getting late night tacos at gordo.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2018 around 04:52

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wiggles: Doing Vegas Right.

Have you hit Chada Street and Chada Thai yet? They both deserve visits. Also Raku, Raku Sweets, and Zen Japanese Curry since they're all in the same parking complex.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chada is so tempting, but it's across from fuku burger and I can't say no to those jazz fries.

Been to both rakus a couple of times, and it's legit the best Japanese food I've ever had. The tofu at raku omg hom nom nom.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Soiled Meat

https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/938222917556625408

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

Grimey Drawer

Can't argue with that kind of ironclad logic

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

did I ever post about my vegas outings? they were pretty good, thanks for the tips. raku didn't suck.

went to chubby cattle, that poo poo was awesome.

e. was a solid A

a few other places were also solid but probably not worth mentioning. vegas food is pretty good mang

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I feel like this is some kind of golden age of Vegas restaurant dining or something. You can get nearly anything at almost any price point or level of fussiness. The Strip still has some old guard mega-expensive destination restaurants, plus a few others that manage to avoid the "we have a celebrity chef's name on our wall to attract Food Network fans but our food sucks" norm. Off-Strip is a blend of first-, second-, and third-generation locally trained chefs with a ton of talent and access to great ingredients. And for the fast food crowd, we've got In-n-Out, Steak n Shake, Five Guys, White Castle, Smash Burger, Fundamentalist Chicken, and almost any other cult favorite. Plus a few local spots that are worth a drat, and the first US outposts of Tacos el Gordo, along with Jollibee and a few other Filipino favorites.

We're weak on Indian food, Middle Eastern stuff (though I did just find a pretty amazing Persian spot), and Sichuan. But that's about it. It's pretty remarkable how quickly this town's grown up from slob buffets and Robouchon-or-bust.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Vegas food is hitting a really good groove. I finally was able to hit Esther's Kitchen in the Arts District. Super loving good all around, great atmosphere. James Trees is killing it. Definitely going back for happy hour for as much wine and bread as I can handle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

All true. This is becoming one of the best places in the world to eat. Or to cook! The number of specialty shops available to the home cook is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

I'm gonna regret this because it's 6am and this is a poor decision, but you're all cordially invited to my food discord channel.

https://discord.gg/ZfFqpuw

«708 »