Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«747 »
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can't get mad at a guy with no professional cooking experience that makes what he does.

... yes 👏 you 👏 can 👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can't get mad at a guy with no professional cooking experience that makes what he does. I think he is pretty solid for an entertainment channel about bad TV food.
I'm not mad at him. I love his videos. I just don't think he's particularly good at cooking. I'm fairly sure 99% of the stuff he does right is because he's following a recipe he Googled just before making the video.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GBS sucks but this avatar is pretty great.

I've actually been binging babish lately... He's ok and entertaining but every once in a while I give a big NOOOOOOOPE.

he doesn't claim to have any authority, I think the really good production values he has make people assume he does. His previous career was as a technical editor for video media, so it makes sense that he would be good at making his show, even if he is only middling good at cooking. It's a lot more watchable than an amazing cook who doesn't know how to shoot or edit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess Iím confused on how you rank someoneís cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I guess Iím confused on how you rank someoneís cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

If it were that easy more people would be better cooks and maybe we'd have someone decent to hire instead of the idiots and meth heads who infest the industry, cooking for customers who are amazed by anything better than what the instructions on the box/can gets them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

al-azad posted:

please don't ever invite me over for dinner

good cooking definitely has 0 to do with knowledge. you can nail a technique and put out lovely food all day long

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

I'd just like to say that all three of you are wrong and not explain why

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

p👏o👏s👏t👏e👏r👏

a👏l👏l👏e👏g👏i👏a👏n👏c👏e👏

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

I guess I’m confused on how you rank someone’s cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

What even is skill? Like, I can just read a book, so why do these dummies spend their lives practicing things?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If it were that easy more people would be better cooks and maybe we'd have someone decent to hire instead of the idiots and meth heads who infest the industry, cooking for customers who are amazed by anything better than what the instructions on the box/can gets them.

I think the fact that your restaurant and the industry in general is chiefly staffed by idiots and meth heads says more about the depressingly poor wages and hiring practices than anything else

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What even is skill? Like, I can just read a book, so why do these dummies spend their lives practicing things?

Cooking isnít just a skill, itís a science, and science is repeatable. Experience gives you the wisdom to invent new methods and fix mistakes and expand on grandmaís recipe, but what Iím questioning is how you determine someone is ďmediocreĒ when they establish knowledge of their craft.

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can fool people into thinking a painting is real?

al-azad fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2018 around 00:36

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

This is fine.

mindphlux posted:

please don't ever invite me over for dinner

good cooking definitely has 0 to do with knowledge. you can nail a technique and put out lovely food all day long

You're being quite grouchy. Everything OK?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

You're being quite grouchy. Everything OK?

It's mindphlux. Are you new here?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

al-azad posted:

Cooking isnít just a skill, itís a science, and science is repeatable. Experience gives you the wisdom to invent new methods and fix mistakes and expand on grandmaís recipe, but what Iím questioning is how you determine someone is ďmediocreĒ when they establish knowledge of their craft.

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can fool people into thinking a painting is real?

the post you're protesting against said that he doesn't demonstrate that much knowledge of his craft so the crux of your argument is irrelevant

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can only fool art novices into thinking a painting is real?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

the post you're protesting against said that he doesn't demonstrate that much knowledge of his craft so the crux of your argument is irrelevant

Is a counterfeit artist mediocre when they can only fool art novices into thinking a painting is real?

Nobody has actually said anything about his skill other than itís middling/mediocre which describes nothing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

al-azad posted:

Cooking isn’t just a skill, it’s a science, and science is repeatable. Experience gives you the wisdom to invent new methods and fix mistakes and expand on grandma’s recipe, but what I’m questioning is how you determine someone is “mediocre” when they establish knowledge of their craft.

Treating cooking as a purely scientific endeavor yields Soylent.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

I think the fact that your restaurant and the industry in general is chiefly staffed by idiots and meth heads says more about the depressingly poor wages and hiring practices than anything else

To be honest, I can't argue with that, as far as our staffing is concerned. The idiocy of our customer base (the very rural midwest!) is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pile of brown posted:

Treating cooking as a purely scientific endeavor yields Soylent.

Which is closer to solving world hunger than a well seared steak. But I'm not arguing cooking is purely scientific, what I'm talking about is what criteria you're using to judge a person preparing recipes on camera unless you've prepared them yourself and deem it all wrong.

«747 »