Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I drank skim as a child and don't drink milk now but buy whole for cooking.

Ita just like getting used to diet soda or beer when you're young.

/e I'pasteurized? Yes but not sure, does making ice cream in effect pasturize?

If you scald the dairy it does, if you don't, well, you're a weird hipster that's probably going to get food poisoning at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you don't, you're making Philadelphia-style ice cream, which is the best.

Don't do it with raw milk, though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

All philly style ice cream means is ice cream without eggs because most of the US doesn't distinguish between a strict iced cream and a frozen custard. Scalding doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I like them both, this place is weird about declaring superlatives.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Anne Whateley posted:

Nothing wrong with raw milk.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nothing wrong with raw milk you know and trust the sourcing, sanitation, and chilling procedures of.

There is a lot wrong with mystery raw milk. Ol Joe aint so good at washing his hands after digging in the garden and the pasture's muddy, gotta give the udders a swipe with the old damp rag.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 20, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Except for the fact that it’s a growing source of illness and hospitalization due to food-borne disease and responsible in a relatively recent study for 5% of illnesses in which the specific food or beverage was identified. It’s generally a bad idea to just drink and use without some kind of further treatment like fermentation or some sort of heat process.

That’s not to say it can never be used or should necessarily be entirely banned but it’s absurd to just shrug off the potential issues especially if you end up making something to serve to others.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mediaphage posted:

Except for the fact that it’s a growing source of illness and hospitalization due to food-borne disease and responsible in a relatively recent study for 5% of illnesses in which the specific food or beverage was identified. It’s generally a bad idea to just drink and use without some kind of further treatment like fermentation or some sort of heat process.

That’s not to say it can never be used or should necessarily be entirely banned but it’s absurd to just shrug off the potential issues especially if you end up making something to serve to others.

Safer than Chipotle.

But you are correct I wouldn’t serve it to another person without their knowledge. I use it for stuff I make for myself and in my coffee.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nothing wrong with raw milk you know and trust the sourcing, sanitation, and chilling procedures of.

There is a lot wrong with mystery raw milk. Ol Joe aint so good at washing his hands after digging in the garden and the pasture's muddy, gotta give the udders a swipe with the old damp rag.

So my family have farmed cows and goats for hundreds and years and I absolutely promise you all that this is the correct answer and that you have to be a super super foodie to be able to tell the difference between raw and processed milk from the same cow People selling you your raw milk, especially in America, are usually the kind of small non-intensive kindly organic farmer who can’t afford to process it, and by default aren’t going to be able to afford the equipment needed to bottle/store/transport raw milk safely either.

You are much better going for organic or named variety of cow milk.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think you have to be a super foodie to tell the texture between. Homogenized and non homogenized milk regardless of pasteurization. If non homogenized pasteurized milk is even a thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have avoided raw milk in part because of a discussion that I think we had here relatively recently. What stuck in my mind was that milk is such an ideal growing material that they sometimes use it in labs to culture bacteria. My son has diabetes, so if he gets any kind of intestinal illness that prevents or impairs his ability to digest food and get sugar into his blood, its hospital time for us, so that makes me extra cautious.

Yeah'

quote:

... the high nutrient content of these milks, which includes proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids (Supporting information, Table S1), all at a near neutral pH and at a high water activity, provides an ideal environment for the growth of many microorganisms.
https://academic.oup.com/femsre/article/37/5/664/541439

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TrqfC9xwMt8

I was planning on building a wine fountain to enjoy with friends during my birthday party but Coronavirus happened. Thanks to the magic of the internet I am still building the wine fountain and will be unveiling it during a birthday zoom on Saturday.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Avoiding raw milk seems like a sound idea, but is it really so that you poor Americans arent allowed to buy unpasturised cheese? Because that is a true shame.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

Avoiding raw milk seems like a sound idea, but is it really so that you poor Americans arent allowed to buy unpasturised cheese? Because that is a true shame.

I believe that’s changed in some places in recent years

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

I can buy plenty of raw milk cheeses in WI.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TrqfC9xwMt8

I was planning on building a wine fountain to enjoy with friends during my birthday party but Coronavirus happened. Thanks to the magic of the internet I am still building the wine fountain and will be unveiling it during a birthday zoom on Saturday.

Most of your progress pics have made me :yikes: but this one made me :stonklol:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

So my family have farmed cows and goats for hundreds and years and I absolutely promise you all that this is the correct answer and that you have to be a super super foodie to be able to tell the difference between raw and processed milk from the same cow

What? The difference between raw and pasteurized side by side is super noticeable. Mill King here in Texas sells both out of their retail store here, they are the same milk to start, most just gets pumped off for pasteurization/homogenization.

I don't think that raw milk tastes clearly better, but very different for sure.

DekeThornton posted:

Federal regulation allows for raw milk cheeses to be sold only if they are aged over 60 days. We can get good raw firm cheeses, but no raw fresh cheeses.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doom Rooster posted:

What? The difference between raw and pasteurized side by side is super noticeable. Mill King here in Texas sells both out of their retail store here, they are the same milk to start, most just gets pumped off for pasteurization/homogenization.
If you're comparing raw milk with milk that's been pasteurised and homogenised then the main differences you'll notice are going to be due to the homogenisation, not the pasteurisation. And possibly the blending. Milk from one cow is not going to be identical to milk from another cow, or even to milk from the same cow taken at a different time. Most commercial milk products are blended (and homogenised) specifically to make a product that's the same every time a customer buys it. This is something you don't get from milk right out of a cow, but it has nothing to do with pasteurisation.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubG posted:

If you're comparing raw milk with milk that's been pasteurised and homogenised then the main differences you'll notice are going to be due to the homogenisation, not the pasteurisation. And possibly the blending. Milk from one cow is not going to be identical to milk from another cow, or even to milk from the same cow taken at a different time. Most commercial milk products are blended (and homogenised) specifically to make a product that's the same every time a customer buys it. This is something you don't get from milk right out of a cow, but it has nothing to do with pasteurisation.

fake edit: I feel like the following reads as kinda aggressive, which is isn't meant to. Please take it as pleasant, good-natured disagreement.

It may well exist, but I don't think that I have ever personally seen milk that is homogenized but not pasteurized, or pasteurized but not homogenized, so I feel like your first point is kind of semantic, even if true. I'm not sure that I'll take your word for it though. I agree that it's likely that homogenization affects flavor due to the fat distribution affecting how and what coats the tongue, but also feel like it's pretty well accepted that cooking things can and often does, change their flavor.

As far as your blending discussion, I don't think it applies. The dairy I got to does their morning and evening milking into the same big tank, then pumps some off for packing as raw, and then slow-pasteurizes the rest before bottling. I go and buy raw for cheese making day of, and pasteurized for drinking throughout the week, but always have a glass of raw when I get home from the dairy. I would literally bet my entire savings account that I could pick the raw vs. pasteurized in a blind test 100 times out of 100. I can confirm next time I am there, but I am also 99% certain that I usually end up with both milks from the same batch, same blend, out of the same tank.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

fake edit: I feel like the following reads as kinda aggressive, which is isn't meant to. Please take it as pleasant, good-natured disagreement.

It may well exist, but I don't think that I have ever personally seen milk that is homogenized but not pasteurized, or pasteurized but not homogenized, so I feel like your first point is kind of semantic, even if true. I'm not sure that I'll take your word for it though. I agree that it's likely that homogenization affects flavor due to the fat distribution affecting how and what coats the tongue, but also feel like it's pretty well accepted that cooking things can and often does, change their flavor.

As far as your blending discussion, I don't think it applies. The dairy I got to does their morning and evening milking into the same big tank, then pumps some off for packing as raw, and then slow-pasteurizes the rest before bottling. I go and buy raw for cheese making day of, and pasteurized for drinking throughout the week, but always have a glass of raw when I get home from the dairy. I would literally bet my entire savings account that I could pick the raw vs. pasteurized in a blind test 100 times out of 100. I can confirm next time I am there, but I am also 99% certain that I usually end up with both milks from the same batch, same blend, out of the same tank.

I can go to a local grocery and buy pasteurized non-homogenized milk in glass bottles

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've only found lightly homogenized... I really like the cream on top.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm so sorry for bringing this up

I just meant Philadelphia-style ice cream doesn't have eggs, you don't do a custard, the dairy doesn't need to get heated at all -- just straight from fridge to churn.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm so sorry for bringing this up

I just meant Philadelphia-style ice cream doesn't have eggs, you don't do a custard, the dairy doesn't need to get heated at all -- just straight from fridge to churn.

Don’t worry it was my fault for mentioning i get and use raw milk and it’s just fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

It’s all coming together

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:siren: SO LOWTAX’S SPINE IS hosed UP AGAIN :siren: :ughh:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Explains why he's so spineless.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I can buy unpasteurized cow and goat milk at the grocery store 🤷‍♀️ I like it, tastes good. If I die, hey bonus!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I can buy unpasteurized cow and goat milk at the grocery store 🤷‍♀️ I like it, tastes good. If I die, hey bonus!

And if you get ill but don’t die you’ll lose a tone of weight!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

therattle posted:

And if you get ill but don’t die you’ll lose a tone of weight!

Every dark cloud has a silver lining

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doom Rooster posted:

It may well exist, but I don't think that I have ever personally seen milk that is homogenized but not pasteurized, or pasteurized but not homogenized, so I feel like your first point is kind of semantic, even if true. I'm not sure that I'll take your word for it though.
lol okay

I mean drink whatever you want, I don't give a poo poo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

lol okay

I mean drink whatever you want, I don't give a poo poo.

They'll give a poo poo, though. Potentially a lot of them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I can go to a local grocery and buy pasteurized non-homogenized milk in glass bottles

are you in the US?

I've only seen glass jugs and those are P/H.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I buy my milk at Walgreens and it has a red plastic top. I assume it comes from cows.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I buy my milk at Walgreens and it has a red plastic top. I assume it comes from cows.

You assume?

https://youtu.be/tafO54XRXG0

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

learnincurve posted:

So my family have....

ffs that post makes absolutely bugger all sense. I have to dictate when my eyes are playing up and god drat it Apple you suck, way to make me look like a bellend, which honestly I don’t need help with thanks.

So my family have farmed cows and goats for hundreds and years and I absolutely promise you all that this is the correct answer and that you have to be a super super foodie in the U.K. to be able to tell the difference between raw and processed milk , if you are buying mass produced milk that all ends up in the same tank, raw milk is slightly creamier than blue top but the difference is the same as Jersey and supermarket Blue top imo.

It’s really quite something when you try processed and raw milk
from the same cow People selling you your raw milk, especially in America, are usually the kind of small non-intensive kindly organic farmer who can’t afford to process it, and by default aren’t going to be able to afford the equipment needed to bottle/store/transport raw milk safely either.

(edit: I got hit in the eye by an Alan key if anyone is wondering, wear goggles kids)

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 21, 2020

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

learnincurve posted:

ffs that post makes absolutely bugger all sense. I have to dictate when my eyes are playing up and god drat it Apple you suck, way to make me look like a bellend, which honestly I don’t need help with thanks.

So my family have farmed cows and goats for hundreds and years and I absolutely promise you all that this is the correct answer and that you have to be a super super foodie in the U.K. to be able to tell the difference between raw and processed milk , if you are buying mass produced milk that all ends up in the same tank, raw milk is slightly creamier than blue top but the difference is the same as Jersey and supermarket Blue top imo.

It’s really quite something when you try processed and raw milk
from the same cow People selling you your raw milk, especially in America, are usually the kind of small non-intensive kindly organic farmer who can’t afford to process it, and by default aren’t going to be able to afford the equipment needed to bottle/store/transport raw milk safely either.

(edit: I got hit in the eye by an Alan key if anyone is wondering, wear goggles kids)

This is not the case everywhere. In Oregon, where I live, raw milk laws are very strict, and there are regular inspections to make sure the system and product are up to snuff and safe.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m not sure of the legalities in the U.K. - No matter the actual law though Farmers have quite recently started doing this thing where they basically sell raw milk from a vending machine at the bottom of a farm track, or in the classy estate farm shops they fill up a tank in a vending machine with raw milk, you put money in, grab a bottle and then a metal rod shoots down and you fill it up...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVXMF_vnv2s

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Making my first ever angel food cake. Whoops forgot the vanilla but it's already in the oven! Whatever, that's what the whipped cream and berries are for! :pram:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Raptor1033 posted:

Making my first ever angel food cake. Whoops forgot the vanilla but it's already in the oven! Whatever, that's what the whipped cream and berries are for! :pram:

Your first mistake was making that garbage cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Raptor1033 posted:

How'd it come out? Good angel food cake is one of my favorites, that texture is like nothing else!