Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

therattle posted:

Brazilian-Japanese is probably the result of the large Japanese population in Brazil.

It is and it’s an amazing fusion of food. There’s also some Peruvian-Japanese places around too.
I really like fusion foods and places that experiment. Combining native Australian ingredients into other cuisines is a trend here too recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Refrigerator butter is a scam, we just buy ghee from Costco and leave it out on the counter.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

therattle posted:

Brazilian-Japanese is probably the result of the large Japanese population in Brazil.

A Japanese colleague of mine learned me on this one- in the early 20th century Japan was concened about over population and chartered ships to take volunteer families down the pacific coast of the Americas. Anywhere the family liked, they could disembark and settle, accounting for the significant Japanese populations of Peru, Argentina, Brazil, etc. This probably oversimplifies the migration of families after the laborers aboard the Sakura Maru in 1899, but it makes for a cool story.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It dawned on me today that if the Jeff from yospos or whatever his name is purchase goes through, we will likely see Lowtax post the most epic banme thread of all time. Can't wait.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just expecting Lowtax to try to get into the contract "ps no one can bad mouth me on the forum" because he's that much of a dumb petty gently caress. My greatest forum accomplishment is still when he came in here after I was openly musing during the FYAD fiasco, "will I get banned for being queer?"

He comes in, says no. And I still tell him to gently caress off. Ah memories.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was halving the Serious Eats red beans and rice recipe and I put in 1lb of red beans instead of 1/2lb while halving everything else and I am so mad right now, you have no idea.

Worst part is that I've made this exact mistake before.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Love when I do that with baking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pollyanna posted:

I was halving the Serious Eats red beans and rice recipe and I put in 1lb of red beans instead of 1/2lb while halving everything else and I am so mad right now, you have no idea.

Worst part is that I've made this exact mistake before.

Eh it still works. Just season it up a little more / add some more garlic

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

I had to Google "butter bell" and that is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

We have a butter dish, that doesn't rely on defying gravity, and you just put butter in it.

You lift the lid, et voilla! perfect room temperature butter. Is getting your butter wet really that desirable?
Well, the term butter bell is a genericised trade name but the vessel--sometimes called a French butter dish--is around two hundred years old. It was the evolution of a general method of butter storage--keeping the butter covered with a layer of water, salt, or both--that dates at least as far as the Middle Ages. There are numerous written descriptions of similar but more fiddly methods of butter preservation from the early to mid 19th Century, indicating that the butter bell was solving a real problem for people at the time. Here's an example from The Young Housekeeper's Friend by Mary Hooker (writing under the pseudonym "Mrs. Cornelius"), first published in Boston in 1850 (although this image is from the 1859 edition):

A firkin is not a merkin for furries (at least in this context), it is a small wooden cask (when used as a formal unit of measure it's a quarter British barrel, but it isn't being used that way here), and was the most common vessel for storing butter until industrial butter production became commonplace in the last decades of the 19th Century.

And if we're talking about firkins of butter then we might as well mention bog butter, which is butter (and sometimes other perishable foodstuffs) placed in wooden containers and sunk into peat bogs. This practice is around two thousand years old, and lumps of century-old bog butter are a common archeological find in Ireland and the UK. Here's an example from the wikipedia article, which doesn't cite which museum it's from but mentions that it is from the 15th or 16th Century Enniskillen:

It isn't currently known if the process of production of bog butter was originally just to slow spoilage or if the chemical transformation associated with slow inundation of bog seepage was desired by itself (kinda like making century eggs or whatever).

In any case, the point is that yeah, if you're not refrigerating then it is pretty desirable to keep your butter submerged.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Love when I do that with baking.

Yeah I was making a cake once and I was doing the adding dry to the wet in partial stages. Only I forgot the last addition of the dry ingredients and slapped that thing into the oven.

Somehow it came out perfect, so the recipe must have sucked to begin with.

I guess this is not at all what you're describing, but i'm going to :justpost: anyway

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Yeah I was making a cake once and I was doing the adding dry to the wet in partial stages. Only I forgot the last addition of the dry ingredients and slapped that thing into the oven.

Somehow it came out perfect, so the recipe must have sucked to begin with.

I guess this is not at all what you're describing, but i'm going to :justpost: anyway

I meant more like when I decide to halve a recipe then put in the full amount of coconut oil or whatever (ew).

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I enjoy doubling everything in a cookie recipe but forgetting to double the leavening.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Things which are doubled by default in my house:

garlic
salt*
crunchy toppings
sauce components

*if a non-Kenji, non-baking recipe specifies an exact amount of salt I assume it's way lowballed. I don't actually double, I salt to taste, but usually it ends up doubled if not more

Things I've accidentally doubled 10x'ed:
That one time I thought the following was already-prepared sauce and added the whole can to a small pan of veggies

A++ would make again for special occasions

In my defence, I was stupid, young and inexperienced tired from long hours and the above jar is much larger than thai curry paste

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sorry forgot I mentioned my butter bell in here

I put it in soft and it works for days at a time but sometimes I'll find it plopped in the water and that makes me sad

Really most of the time it's incredibly useful and I love it, but I wish there were some friction ridges on the inside of the cup

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I've got a butter bell (I just call it a crock) and have never had a problem with the butter falling out. I looked on Amazon for reviews to see if this was a common problem and there was some wannabe bourgeoise idiot bragging about how YOUR CHEAP SPREAD might not fall out, but MY REAL *IRISH* BUTTER DOES!, and I thought that was pretty funny

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

In any case, the point is that yeah, if you're not refrigerating then it is pretty desirable to keep your butter submerged.

But neither of these methods involve direct contact between the water and the butter, and nor inverting your butter over anything! Presumably the aim with both is to seal and cool your butter, neither of these are techniques for having spreadable butter ready to go? I fully appreciate that not exposing butter to air is desirable, I just don’t understand why, especially in the age of refrigeration and shop-bought butter, why you would want to pack butter into a bell and suspend it upside-down... If you’re making all your butter yourself, yes firkin, but otherwise, fridge and butter dish is the way to go!

I guess we just use a lot more butter than I realised and live in a country that’s not hot enough, I’ve literally never had butter go bad, and was just surprised to see that the butter bell is apparently a real thing that people use.

I will stop now: no-one cares about my astonishment at discovering something other people have known about for over a hundred years.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Scientastic posted:

But neither of these methods involve direct contact between the water and the butter, and nor inverting your butter over anything! Presumably the aim with both is to seal and cool your butter, neither of these are techniques for having spreadable butter ready to go? I fully appreciate that not exposing butter to air is desirable, I just don’t understand why, especially in the age of refrigeration and shop-bought butter, why you would want to pack butter into a bell and suspend it upside-down... If you’re making all your butter yourself, yes firkin, but otherwise, fridge and butter dish is the way to go!

I guess we just use a lot more butter than I realised and live in a country that’s not hot enough, I’ve literally never had butter go bad, and was just surprised to see that the butter bell is apparently a real thing that people use.

I will stop now: no-one cares about my astonishment at discovering something other people have known about for over a hundred years.

Honestly mostly I just have half a block of butter sitting open on the countertop that I knife up over the course of the week.

I've never had butter 'go bad' but it definitely changes in flavour after a while presumably mostly as a result of oxidation. Tbh I think the dish (vs bell) is the way to go if you aren't storing your butter in brine. Makes me wish stick butter wasn't sold for 50% more here since one stick is the perfect size / shape to leave out for spreadability.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

But neither of these methods involve direct contact between the water and the butter
That's because I was selecting methods for their irritating complexity. Because between when butter started becoming generally acceptable/desirable for culinary purposes (in the late Middle Ages, after being a common peasant food in northern Europe that was shunned by the gentry for several centuries) and the invention of refrigeration butter preservation was a real concern and most of the methods, as I said, involved submerging the butter in water, salt, or both. From the 1830 edition of The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia, edited by David Brewster, Vol V, p. 164, in the article "Butter":

The idea of the butter bell is simply to make it more convenient to extract the butter from the water for use. And if most of your alternatives look like a matryoshka doll of sloshing firkins, that's probably pretty attractive.

I mean if you don't want to use a butter bell by all means don't. I have one someone gave me and I never use the thing. But I've seen a lot of stupid kitchen tools, and if I was living in one of France's butter-producing regions in the early 19th Century (most sources suggest Brittany, but afaik it isn't known definitively) I wouldn't consider a butter bell to be one of them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/sur-la-table-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-and-will-close-nearly-half-its-stores/

Sur La Table filing chapter 11, gonna shut half it’s stores

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Oh no think of all the overpriced cookware that will never be fruitlessly be added to bougie wedding registries.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

oh god I still have a $200 gift card from my dad from like 4 years ago

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I learned a few year back that gift cars are treated, legally, as unsecured loans to the establishments. Which makes you a creditor, and when they're in bankruptcy they don't have to pay creditors. And since it's unsecured, you'll be last in line when it comes to liquidating. Fun!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I learned a few year back that gift cars are treated, legally, as unsecured loans to the establishments. Which makes you a creditor, and when they're in bankruptcy they don't have to pay creditors. And since it's unsecured, you'll be last in line when it comes to liquidating. Fun!

I read in another article they're accepting gift cards in store through august 7th. the store near me is one of the ones closing so I guess it's shopping spree time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The best part about the butter bells imo is that they do a great job of protecting against scent absorption, which butter is good at. But most people don't need to worry about it.

Sur la table was always mildly fun to walk through when friends and partners were looking at stores in a strip mall. I don't think I've ever bought more than a spatula at one, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's one of my draws, the butter in my bell always seems creamier and nicer smelling than my dish

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Congratulations on your purchase of a new 6" saute pan.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Because I want spreadable butter, obviously. You can't butter toast with fridge-cold butter.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bartolimu posted:

Congratulations on your purchase of a new 6" saute pan.

why do you think I never used it, even when I'm not spending my own money I can't bring myself to pay those prices :negative:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drink and Fight posted:

Because I want spreadable butter, obviously. You can't butter toast with fridge-cold butter.

Yes you can, I do it every day.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just leave my butter on the butter dish, and it's fine even in Vegas summer. It's good for toast. It doesn't smell weird. I go through about a stick a week like that.

Really this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Helith posted:

Yes you can, I do it every day.

Sorry about your lovely cold toast with holes in it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just leave my butter on the butter dish, and it's fine even in Vegas summer. It's good for toast. It doesn't smell weird. I go through about a stick a week like that.

Really this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I bet there's a noticeable change in the smell or taste unless it's reasonably cool most of the time. But that doesn't necessarily mean bad; sometimes it just makes it taste more like butter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Guys please come up with a name for the tan you get from wearing PPE all day

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drink and Fight posted:

Sorry about your lovely cold toast with holes in it.

lmao, hot toast melts the butter.

Sorry about your lovely existence where the laws of physics are reversed.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

if I want buttered toast I make toast, I take a slice of butter from the fridge, put it on the toast, and then it melts and I spread it and my toast is still plenty warm and also now buttered

or, y’know, “cold lovely toast with holes in it”

lol; efb

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you aren’t putting butter on untoasted bread and then putting it in the toaster oven you’re living your life wrong.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Steve Yun posted:

Fomite's tan?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It takes way too long to wait for toast to melt butter. And that's time that I could be taking to spread Vegemite on the toast after the butter.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

The reverse version - tan up to your biceps and then pasty white - is the "farmer's tan", so pick your favorite epithet for your profession and call it that.

"dish bitch tan", as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
GWS General Chat: The Butter Battle Book