Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It takes way too long to wait for toast to melt butter. And that's time that I could be taking to spread Vegemite on the toast after the butter.

stick it back in the toaster oven for like five seconds

hell, it doesn't even have to be on, just let it carry over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hauki posted:

stick it back in the toaster oven for like five seconds

hell, it doesn't even have to be on, just let it carry over

Pffft what kind of bougie rear end in a top hat has a toaster oven even why I never.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I use spreadable butter for toast. Cold butter may mention but also cools the toast and often mangles it when being spread. Mashing it on the side of the plate to soften it is usually sufficient - but spreadable is easier.

I apologise for this incredibly boring post.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I never ever use spreadable butter, I just leave my butter in a covered butter dish and it is wonderful.

You live in the UK, right? Get a butter dish.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I never ever use spreadable butter, I just leave my butter in a covered butter dish and it is wonderful.

You live in the UK, right? Get a butter dish.

Maybe I will... I would need two though. My son is coeliac so we have GF and unclean spreadable butters then a block of normal butter for cooking and baking which stays GF. I feel like our countertops are cluttered enough already.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
God drat it Steve Yun broke the chat thread because CoD: Butter

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

therattle posted:

Maybe I will... I would need two though. My son is coeliac so we have GF and unclean spreadable butters then a block of normal butter for cooking and baking which stays GF. I feel like our countertops are cluttered enough already.

If you trust yourselves, you could consider keeping the butter dish always GF. If you need some for wheat bread, get a serving of butter first and take it from there, which I think is more reasonable with a stick of butter versus a bowl of pre-spreadable stuff. You can also just keep the dish inside of the cabinets if you have room; it doesn't have to sit out.

Anyway GF chat, made some gluten-free brioche recently for some friends that socially distant came over for ribs the other night. Worked well, tasted / texture was more like a quick roll or other super buttery bread vs traditional brioche, but it got the thumbs up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I want to socially distance drop in on my grandma. We share a deep love of seafood, what would be the best takeout to grab and distantly share? Something that would keep well in the drive over (there's a fantastic local seafood place near her I love https://www.popeisbethpage.com/DinnerMenu and it's Long Island so fresh yums) but not be a super huge mess. Would steamers do ok, or do they get weird if they sit too long? This lady can put away a solid pound of steamed seafood, and she's a tiny thing.

I figure she can be up on her porch with my aunt (gotta get her some too), we'll picnic on the lawn.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We ran out of gin and I had to resort to a vodka martini after work. I was in extremis obviously, but why would anyone willingly choose such an obviously inferior option?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Butter is more contentious than I'd anticipated

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

We ran out of gin and I had to resort to a vodka martini after work. I was in extremis obviously, but why would anyone willingly choose such an obviously inferior option?

Gin is just too flavoured for some people.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I made damson gin in January but ran out of gin (there were a lot of damsons), so did some with vodka. I decanted and filtered it last week so tasted both. Gin was noticeably better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

now if you want to make this chili spicy, just add a half tsp of ground black pepper

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just lol if you don't have Enrique carry butter in his speedo. Just lol.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It’s not that there is too much flavor there, it’s that the flavor that is there is terrible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered a new round bottom wok and will be using it on my gas range. Is there such a thing as a universal wok ring, can i possibly use it without a ring, or what. Tell me what to do. I'm replacing my old flat bottom carbon steel wok whose handle fell off.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

It’s not that there is too much flavor there, it’s that the flavor that is there is terrible.

Whoah, check out this bad post.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

condolences on your broken palate

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

unpopular opinion i think tonic is loving gross

that said gin is nice with soda and lime

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bad tonic is loving gross and there's a lot of bad tonic out there. Good tonic is pretty tolerable.

Gin is nice with a straw.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Anyone talking trash on gin can go to hell.

Where I will be taking tickets on the express train.

And drinking gin.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I heard tonic cures COVID-19.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I mean I love gin, but I totally can see why some people don't like the juniper forward stuff.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

in case anyone's wondering what $200 will buy you at Sur La Table, even with the store closing discounts...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
10 items isn't bad at least.

Also on alcohol. Discuss. Meyer's Dark Rum, is good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I heard tonic cures COVID-19.

well gently caress me rip then

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

10 items isn't bad at least.

Also on alcohol. Discuss. Meyer's Dark Rum, is good.

Meyers always has a place in my bar.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just picked up a bottle of Bumbu and that is a pretty tasty sippin' rum with a lot of vanilla/caramel flavors

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Carillon posted:

I mean I love gin, but I totally can see why some people don't like the juniper forward stuff.
There's a lot of variability in gins and what makes a gin good in a g&t isn't what makes a gin good in, say, a negroni. For some reason--maybe because it's a clear liquor?--a lot of people seem to treat gin as a single thing in a way that they wouldn't for, say, single malts.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I am cooking Mexican ground chorizo and this white stuff is forming at the side that is cooking. Never happened, done this dozens of times. Is this normal or should I throw this poo poo out?

Imgur

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 11, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

I am cooking Mexican ground chorizo and this white stuff is forming at the side that is cooking. Never happened, done this dozens of times. Is this normal or should I throw this poo poo out?

can you add anything more specific than "white stuff" or perhaps a photo ?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I like my gin to have citrus notes along with the botanicals. Manly Spirits Co. gin is good as they use interesting Australian native botanicals.

https://manlyspirits.com.au/gin/

If I want a British gin I usually go for Hendricks.

Finding a good tonic can be harder, Fever Tree is good as is Fentimans but I can't get that in Aus. There's a local tonic called Cascade that's quite citrusy, so goes well with a lot of gins if you like citrusy G&T's.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

If you trust yourselves, you could consider keeping the butter dish always GF. If you need some for wheat bread, get a serving of butter first and take it from there, which I think is more reasonable with a stick of butter versus a bowl of pre-spreadable stuff. You can also just keep the dish inside of the cabinets if you have room; it doesn't have to sit out.

Anyway GF chat, made some gluten-free brioche recently for some friends that socially distant came over for ribs the other night. Worked well, tasted / texture was more like a quick roll or other super buttery bread vs traditional brioche, but it got the thumbs up.

I didn’t respond. I appreciate the suggestion but it’s a solution in search of a problem. Separate spreadable butters works perfectly.

Fever Tree is good. Schweppes used to be ok but some years ago they started using artificial sweetener even in the regular tonic and it’s now gross.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hauki posted:

can you add anything more specific than "white stuff" or perhaps a photo ?

Fair enough, Imgur

Hauki
May 11, 2010

huh, just looks like some kind of gelled protein like purge in ground beef or whatever, but i haven't seen that in loose chorizo either

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

notthegoatseguy posted:

Imgur

Albumin, maybe? The white stuff that you'll often see form around bacon, pork chops, squirt out the ends of sausages, etc.

Edit: I've always understood it to be a good thing, because it indicates the presence of a high degree of protein. Meaning your sausage isn't made out of wood chips and rendered insect fat or whatever.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 11, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I didn’t respond. I appreciate the suggestion but it’s a solution in search of a problem. Separate spreadable butters works perfectly.

Fever Tree is good. Schweppes used to be ok but some years ago they started using artificial sweetener even in the regular tonic and it’s now gross.

oh yes i don't think you should change at all, this was merely thinking about potential future rattlesbutterdishpurchases. honestly for most eating on bread stuff, i actually think spreadable butters cut with oil are more than good enough :V

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

therattle posted:

I like fever tree. i didnt know if they were local or not because i really dont look at labels very much, but their tonics are sold near the "local artisan" section of my state-run liquor store. glad to see they're sold all over cuz i enjoy them very much in a g&t

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For gin, btw, my favorite after all these years and all these gins is still Gordon's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tell me thread is there such a thing as a good coconut rum