Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the best consumer grade induction? I really really want the Breville Control Freak but it's like 10x the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

dino. posted:

Honestly, just get two separate Duxtop inductions. I’m usually not a fan of induction, but if you want that sort of power, along with the other features, a single burner induction is the way to go. Just get two, and put away the one not in use.

Thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lockdown month idk whatever it is now, signing back into SA for the first time in years. What's up old friends? how y'all doin? I've been working from home since march which is cool I guess, less stress from commuting means I've been cooking more again, so that's good. Still a lovely year overall though. Lost my mom to lymphoma a few months ago. I was reminded of how many people loved the pilipino pood thread and she was basically the source of that whole thing and made the best filipino food in the world.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My problem with the induction stoves I have been around (rather high end Wolf ones) is I can hear a high pitched whine whenever the burners are on. My sample size is small - just 4 stoves all at the same place, but sets my nerves on edge. Anyone else get this?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lockdown month idk whatever it is now, signing back into SA for the first time in years. What's up old friends? how y'all doin? I've been working from home since march which is cool I guess, less stress from commuting means I've been cooking more again, so that's good. Still a lovely year overall though. Lost my mom to lymphoma a few months ago. I was reminded of how many people loved the pilipino pood thread and she was basically the source of that whole thing and made the best filipino food in the world.

Hey Grav glad you're here! Sorry about your mom.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Welcome back, buddy. Sorry to hear about your loss

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I fed my kids your basic chicken adobo recipe last night, they love that poo poo.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom and I loved reading that thread. I'm also glad you're here.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Eifert Posting posted:

I want you all to know that forums moderator Grand Fromage just posted a meme in a more localized chat asking if people prefer ranch or ketchup on tamales. At the risk of a probe for mod sass I don't feel like this is ok. I love GF, but actions have consequences.

Guess it depends on if it's like high quality Mexican food or cheap fast food or microwavable Mexican food, cause if it's the latter I see no issue with using ketchup or ranch on it

Best topping for that kind of thing is of course some sour cream with some hot sauce or salsa stirred in, maybe some guacamole too if you have any on hand

Ever since I first saw that in real life I've been darkly curious about whether or not that stuff is as terrible as it seems

How Wonderful! posted:

I made ranch the other night because I realized I hadn't had any in years and I had a bunch of roasted greenbeans in front of me, and you know what? It was amazing. If I had some ranch in front of me and some tamales in front of me I'd absolutely go hog wild.

Freshly made Ranch dressing is one of the best things a more casual restaurant can do, indeed it's one of those little things I keep in mind when I go to burger joints or places that do wings is whether they have good quality ranch

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thanks for the condolences, everyone

Stringent posted:

I fed my kids your basic chicken adobo recipe last night, they love that poo poo.

That's so cool :3:

drrockso20 posted:

Freshly made Ranch dressing is one of the best things a more casual restaurant can do, indeed it's one of those little things I keep in mind when I go to burger joints or places that do wings is whether they have good quality ranch

There is no bigger gap in quality than that between fresh made good ranch dressing and shelf stable ranch dressing.

Also, in b4 the bleu cheese wing mafia comes in

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm an oddball who'll make blue cheese dressing with some ranch powder come wing night.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Arkhamina posted:

My problem with the induction stoves I have been around (rather high end Wolf ones) is I can hear a high pitched whine whenever the burners are on. My sample size is small - just 4 stoves all at the same place, but sets my nerves on edge. Anyone else get this?

:smith: :hf: :smith:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Gravi- sorry to hear about your mum. Cancer loving sucks.

Also, I hear that high pitched whine, and it makes me hate everything.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Speaking of ranch, my wife made little broccoli and goat cheese things for brunch today, so I did up another small batch of ranch so we could go full diner-style. It still rules although the whole meal was very rich.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am stress cooking right now, and trying to think of a good way to combine some ingredients that I know like each other. I don't have any specific dish in mind. Celiac, but stocked with flour replacement. Also have a large pie's worth of uncooked pie crust in the fridge.

I have sliced side pork (miscommunication when I got a hog. I wanted whole side pork to make bacon. I got bacon sliced uncured pork). About 4 cups of butternut squash currently steaming. Lots of apples. Mushrooms. I just bought ground sage and it won't all fit in the jar. Onions.

I was thinking a savory squash pie with pork and apples? Not sure if eggs and milk like a pumpkin pie would work, or if I should toss everything in a baking dish. I have a fairly well stocked pantry. Suggestions?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Sounds to me like a delicious pork pot pie. I’m no pro but eggs and milk sound weird.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ended up doing an apple, onion, mushroom pork pie with a squash top. Used some beef broth and made a gravy. Maybe not super pretty, but tasty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any suggestions for a simple kung pao chicken I can make on the stove at home? I really like getting it as takeout (the place I get it from nearby does diced carrot, celery, and peanuts), but I don't wanna have to pay a bunch of money to get it delivered whenever I crave it. I tried the Serious Eats one and it was not very good at all, weirdly gloppy and too sweet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No idea about the American version but this is the real thing: https://blog.themalamarket.com/chengdu-challenge-27-gong-bao-chicken-with-cashews-gong-bao-ji-ding/

Cashews are for the fancy version, you can just sub peanuts. I like to do 50/50.

Gong bao is a sweet and sour dish though. If you don't want it to be sweet at all then you want to make something else. Possibly this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/6icz8i/recipe_how_to_make_sichuan_spicy_chicken_aka/

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 20, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Huh, maybe I was thinking of a different dish. I can give it another try then!

Also, I used to really like making this with wontons and stuff before we all got stuck inside. Are there any dishes that also use the chili oil+Chinkiang vinegar combination? Cause I really like that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chili oil + black vinegar is a classic combination. Some examples:

https://thewoksoflife.com/suan-la-fen-hot-sour-sweet-potato-glass-noodle-soup/ or https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/hot-and-sour-sweet-potato-noodles/

https://blog.themalamarket.com/hot-and-sour-eggplant-salad-suan-la-liang-ban-qie-zi/

https://omnivorescookbook.com/steamed-eggplant/

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2015/04/when-is-fish-not-fish.html

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2015/12/a-vegans-delicious-secret-weapon.html

https://thewoksoflife.com/hot-dry-noodles-re-gan-mian/

etc. There are dozens and dozens of recipes I could list but hopefully you get the picture.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just got back from a week long backpacking/camping trip. I ate so many protein bars. Getting back to civilization and eating an omelet was straight up the best food I've had in ages.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Grocery pickup has been pushed back a day, so I walked to the crappy grocery store to get something to tide us over. Unfortunately they have the weird baguette/sourdough breads with the weirdly soft crust. Can I just blast them in a screaming hot dutch oven or something to perk them up somehow? Is it like those bake at home ones?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Proooobably but only if you haven’t cut it open yet and only a very brief moment in the oven

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You'd think there would be more on Google about this. I'll report back, maybe back off the screaming hot dutch oven and put it right on the rack at like 450 and keep an eye on it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I bet Kenji's reheating bagel trick would work for a store baguette. Spritz with hot water, toss in a oven at 375 for 5-6 minutes

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
This method of refreshing bread was documented by Jean-Baptiste Boussingault in a paper in 1852 (Boussingault, J. B. 1852. Expériences ayant pour but de déterminer la cause de la transformation du pain tendre en pain rassis. Ann. Chim. Phys. 36:490-494.), somewhat predating Kenji blogging on the subject.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Tossing it in the 450 oven for about 5-6 min gave it a crust at least. The inside was still like sandwich bread. Not sure there's any fixing that. Bad bread is just bad bread.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

This method of refreshing bread was documented by Jean-Baptiste Boussingault in a paper in 1852 (Boussingault, J. B. 1852. Expériences ayant pour but de déterminer la cause de la transformation du pain tendre en pain rassis. Ann. Chim. Phys. 36:490-494.), somewhat predating Kenji blogging on the subject.

:ok:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Vous devez donner une traduction en anglais pour les païens, mon chou.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Maybe after you’ve refreshed your bread Kenji-style, you can toast it and top it with Gordon Ramsay scrambled eggs?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Vous devez donner une traduction en anglais pour les païens, mon chou.
"Experiments to determine the transformation of fresh bread into stale bread". It's mostly devoted to Boussingault's experiments to determine that loss of moisture isn't sufficient to explain staling--he seals bread in airtight glass vessels to maintain a constant water content and observes that it still gets stale. He also observes that water content of the bread crumb does influence staling. And he empirically determines that reheating stale bread to an internal temperature of around 140 F/60 C reverses the staling. This is the temperature at which starches in the bread gelate, although the fact that this is the mechanism was unknown to Boussingault.

I don't know anywhere online that has the article in its entirety, but it's frequently cited in discussions of bread staling. For example, McGee mentions Boussingault's work (although, strangely, he doesn't actually name it) in On Food And Cooking, p. 784-785, specifically in the context of reheating bread to reverse staling.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry if this is irritatingly ignorant but do you have to write essays in culinary school?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry if this is irritatingly ignorant but do you have to write essays in culinary school?

Yes. And they make you use squid ink.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah, some. Or at least all of the degree plans from the Culinary Institute of America involve at least some essay writing and at least some basic mathematics. How much depends on the degree, but even the occupational associate degrees (which are the shortest and most vocational) require a college-level writing credit, and that involves essay writing.

Their curricula are available online and you can click through the course descriptions if you want more detail on a particular degree plan.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

drat i've missed you subg

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Art Institutes required it as well. Lmao though because they're shutting down, at least my loan is paid off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks. I was just curious! The culinary arts building was beside my science building in university and we used to go there for lunch almost every day, always used to look at the students there and wonder what the program was like.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

spotted as suggested tomato hornworm control in a fb pepper growing group:

NOPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m sure there are plenty of willing posters who would test that recipe if you sent them the hornworms

Sadly, I live in the UK, and I don’t think they’d survive the trip