Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Helith posted:

That’s a lot of oyster sauce.
How do you store it once it’s opened out of interest?
Quart delitainers, in the fridge. You can also freeze it, although I go through oyster sauce fast enough I don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

That’s a lot of oyster sauce.
How do you store it once it’s opened out of interest?

You drink it before it goes off. In summer a long, cool glass of chilled oyster sauce really hits the spot, while in winter nothing warms like a steaming mug of the stuff.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Cheese Thief posted:

I couldn't get the lid off my Healthy Boy Fishsauce, yanked it and the fish sauce spilled all over my kitchen. It really stinks.

Last year I knocked a big glass jar of fish sauce off the counter about 5 minutes before guests arrived.

Fun times.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You fish sauce people are making me thirsty

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enfys posted:

Last year I knocked a big glass jar of fish sauce off the counter about 5 minutes before guests arrived.

Fun times.

Yeah generally once the guests smell it you can't keep them away for more then 4-5 minutes. Did you have enough mugs?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Here's a stock image of one not leaking all over the bottom of my pantry:

Well you need a big can for those giant loving oysters!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eeyo posted:

Well you need a big can for those giant loving oysters!

Small people

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No, Rajesh. 100 lbs is not a bulk order for which you can get a discount. Talk to me when you want 100 20’ containers. I love my people but the cheap Indian thing is really irksome.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Bulk what? I mean, saffron? That would be bulk!

I volunteer with the local Ronald McDonald House, which has just started having volunteers back. Dinner for 15 families (about 30 people) was delivery pizza. To keep chances of germs to a minimum, I stuffed slices into individual take out containers per the house directives. There has been a lot of casserole and lasagna lately there.

Somehow, I am going to be doing the Thanksgiving dinner this same way. I requested multi-chamber take out trays, and small hot deli containers, restaurant supply pie containers. Will do a survey on Monday (since the inhabitants change often) to find out special diet or allergies. Also will be just myself and boyfriend cooking, but we have 4 nice Wolf stoves and an acre of counter space.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Bulk what? I mean, saffron? That would be bulk!

dino is a rice monger

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ah! Yeah, I can see hundred pounds being comical with that...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Indeed, they would have little to grain

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Weird recipe recommend: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/fish-finger-bhorta

My brother made this yesterday, and I was very sceptical because it sounded both bland and awful, but it's actually really tasty in a comfort food kind of way, and extremely easy and cheap.

Quoting myself to say that I've made this a couple of times since, and have found that it's even nicer if you use ghee instead of oil and add a tsp of cumin per serving to sizzle in the ghee before the onions go in. The lack of spices in an ostensibly indian recipe was making me quite antsy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi GWS, I made jerky and it tastes awful! I recently bought a new oven that has a dehydrator setting on it so naturally I wanted to get some use out of it. Dried fruits are easy and delicious but I always wanted to make jerky and now I think I might end up just leaving it to the pro's..

I used Alton Brown's recipe that I remembered from that episode of good eats like 15 years ago where he makes a dehydrator with box fans. I used London broil instead of flank because I couldn't find any flank. I can identify a few issues. I figured asking my butcher to slice it for me would be the easiest way to go but the pieces they gave me were pretty substantial and not really jerkylike. I also tried using two layers while cooking but only had one mesh tray so the bottom layer was on a sheet pan. Those are pretty rubbery and the bottoms are not the same color as the rest of it. Cooking temp/time might be off because I had trouble finding a consensus for how hot and how long on the internet.

Regardless of cook time and size I think it just tastes awful and I'm not sure if I hosed something up even though I followed that recipe to the T, or if this is just an acquired taste that I haven't.. acquired. Anyway sorry for the :words: but had to vent somewhere.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

Hi GWS, I made jerky and it tastes awful! I recently bought a new oven that has a dehydrator setting on it so naturally I wanted to get some use out of it. Dried fruits are easy and delicious but I always wanted to make jerky and now I think I might end up just leaving it to the pro's..

I used Alton Brown's recipe that I remembered from that episode of good eats like 15 years ago where he makes a dehydrator with box fans. I used London broil instead of flank because I couldn't find any flank. I can identify a few issues. I figured asking my butcher to slice it for me would be the easiest way to go but the pieces they gave me were pretty substantial and not really jerkylike. I also tried using two layers while cooking but only had one mesh tray so the bottom layer was on a sheet pan. Those are pretty rubbery and the bottoms are not the same color as the rest of it. Cooking temp/time might be off because I had trouble finding a consensus for how hot and how long on the internet.

Regardless of cook time and size I think it just tastes awful and I'm not sure if I hosed something up even though I followed that recipe to the T, or if this is just an acquired taste that I haven't.. acquired. Anyway sorry for the :words: but had to vent somewhere.

That’s unfortunate. Try make biltong instead! It’s better.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I recently made jerky for the first time, and there were a few things that I found in researching how to do it that made sense for me:

• I froze my flank for 45m before slicing, which helped my slice it super thin
  • I cut with the grain, but I also tried some bits in other ways, the more with the grain, the chewier, the bits completely against the grain were much more brittle
  • I marinaded overnight in the fridge
  • I set the oven to 160C (the lowest setting) with the fan on and the door ajar and dried for 3h, flipped and did another 3h

Mine turned out really well.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

explosivo posted:

It may not have been anything you did -- Alton Brown's recipes tend to be decent examples for learning a particular principle or technique, but not all of them result in something you'd really want to eat. A lot of them don't taste very good, and some are downright revolting.

As for this particular recipe...it looks like a pretty standard jerky marinade, but it could be that the liquid smoke may be a culprit. Even good brands of liquid smoke are easy to overdo, and a bad brand will ruin pretty much anything you put it in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dead Of Winter posted:

It may not have been anything you did -- Alton Brown's recipes tend to be decent examples for learning a particular principle or technique, but not all of them result in something you'd really want to eat. A lot of them don't taste very good, and some are downright revolting.

As for this particular recipe...it looks like a pretty standard jerky marinade, but it could be that the liquid smoke may be a culprit. Even good brands of liquid smoke are easy to overdo, and a bad brand will ruin pretty much anything you put it in.

Yeah I did see people saying they skipped the liquid smoke in the comments, I think I might just also not be that into the flavor of Worcestershire sauce which is pretty overpowering here. If I do try again later I'm going to slice my own meat, I was originally going to do the freezing/slicing thing myself but I figured it'd be easier for the butchers to do it. I got pretty big chunks from them which sucked. I also need to figure out the time/temp, I did 165 for 8 hours and it's tough so I might have overdone one or both of those.

I'm just going to buy more canned pineapple and dehydrate some more pineapple instead :shobon:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I use Worcestershire sauce in a number of jerky recipes and it doesn't come off as overpowering (though I like Worcestershire sauce so might be me). You can substitute rice vinegar or sesame oil for or other stuff like that if you really don't like it though.

I've never used liquid smoke and wouldn't be too keen on adding it to jerky.

I usually just buy thin frying steaks or other non fatty cuts and slice it into thin strips myself. I don't freeze it but do marinade overnight.

I started out with recipes from The Jerky Bible: How to Dry, Cure, and Preserve Beef, Venison, Fish, and Fowl. Now I sort of just throw stuff together loosely based on my favourites from that book depending on what I'm in the mood for and have on hand.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Liquid smoke belongs in jerky and anyone who says otherwise is a god drat liar.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

What are good brands of liquid smoke? I've had the same Colgin bottle from the grocery store for probably a decade or so, and I didn't really know there was much of a difference.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

explosivo posted:

Yeah I did see people saying they skipped the liquid smoke in the comments, I think I might just also not be that into the flavor of Worcestershire sauce which is pretty overpowering here. If I do try again later I'm going to slice my own meat, I was originally going to do the freezing/slicing thing myself but I figured it'd be easier for the butchers to do it. I got pretty big chunks from them which sucked. I also need to figure out the time/temp, I did 165 for 8 hours and it's tough so I might have overdone one or both of those.

I'm just going to buy more canned pineapple and dehydrate some more pineapple instead :shobon:

Sucks about the butcher. I think I could trust mine. How did they cut the grain?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The stuff I use has a cowboy on the bottle. Not sure if the brand.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
To find good liquid smoke, just look at the ingredients. If it says "water, smoke," you're good. When it starts listing a bunch of dyes and molasses and vinegar, it's not liquid smoke anymore. Wright's usually just has smoke, Colgin's has a bunch of other stuff. There are a lot of little boutique brands, but those two are easy to find.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sucks about the butcher. I think I could trust mine. How did they cut the grain?

Against the grain, which I'm not necessarily opposed to a tougher piece of jerky but probably would have cut with the grain if it was me doing the cutting to get more tender pieces.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dead Of Winter posted:

yeah, liquid smoke isn't something I'd ever use tbh. that said, do you have a downright revolting alton brown recipe? cuz im legit interested in making something not from the kwanzaa cake lady that was so awful but the food network still put it on tv

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Liquid smoke gets a lot of poo poo but it's pretty great and is all natural. It's pretty simple and fascinating how they make it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Anne Whateley posted:

To find good liquid smoke, just look at the ingredients. If it says "water, smoke," you're good. When it starts listing a bunch of dyes and molasses and vinegar, it's not liquid smoke anymore. Wright's usually just has smoke, Colgin's has a bunch of other stuff. There are a lot of little boutique brands, but those two are easy to find.

A dead giveaway that it sucks is when it's labeled
"LIQUID SMOKE and marinade"

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Croatoan posted:

Liquid smoke gets a lot of poo poo but it's pretty great and is all natural. It's pretty simple and fascinating how they make it.

...how is it made, cowboy?

In content news: get the Flavor Equation if you have any science leanings at all. It’s both beautiful and well written and oh man I’ve got a lot of books this year but this one is :krad:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bloody ghost titty posted:

...how is it made, cowboy?

Imagine bong water but you're burning something that tastes good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

xtal posted:

Imagine bong water but you're burning something that tastes good

This is actually true

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

that said, do you have a downright revolting alton brown recipe? cuz im legit interested in making something not from the kwanzaa cake lady that was so awful but the food network still put it on tv

The only AB recipe I've personally considered revolting is his French onion soup. He adds apple cider to the broth, and the end result tastes like liquefied caramel apple suffused with onion. Your mileage may vary; I know some people like it, but I don't think onion soup should taste more like a dessert than a soup.

Asides that, the ones I've heard the most complaints about are the Filet O' Fu (which Brown apparently disavowed at some point) and his avocado cake frosting, but I haven't made them myself.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah, I love apple cider and French onion soup, but the onions and the bit of sugar to speed along the caramelizarion is all the sweet I need

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's with the advice to only crack eggs on a flat surface lest there be shell contamination? They say this then have the yolk/white over their fingers that were just touching the egg and the white seems to ooze a little over the shell regardless. Is there any actual evidence here that it's a legit tip?

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

Carillon posted:

What's with the advice to only crack eggs on a flat surface lest there be shell contamination? They say this then have the yolk/white over their fingers that were just touching the egg and the white seems to ooze a little over the shell regardless. Is there any actual evidence here that it's a legit tip?

I don’t know about salmonella contamination, but cracking things on an edge makes it more likely to get shell fragments in the egg, or puncture the yolk, IME

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carillon posted:

Yeah like the above poster said, it's not that they're worried about some contaminant on the shell getting into the food, they're talking about small pieces of the shell itself 'contaminating' the food. If you crack on the edge of a bowl you shatter a bunch of the shell and you often have to spend a bunch of time picking it out when you could be working on something else.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I always thought cracking on a hard surface only worked for TV chefs who know the exact amount of pressure to put into cracking the egg for it to split perfectly in half but since quarantine I've been making a shitload more eggs and I'll be god damned if that doesn't actually work a lot better even if you gently caress it up somehow. I've always cracked on the edge of the bowl/pan and almost always had to fish out shell fragments but literally haven't had to once since I started doing the flat surface thing earlier this year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I tried switching to the flat surface but it always shatters the side of the egg and makes it impossible to cleanly get egg out. :iiam: I have much better success with edge hitting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tend to double crack on a flat surface. But I do it one handed so it’s still pretty baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Age of the egg matters a lot for easy cracking in my experience