Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tend to double crack on a flat surface. But I do it one handed so it’s still pretty baller.

When I worked a flat top in school I was doing two per hand at the same time. I don't miss that skill, but I miss the flat top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I worked a flat top in school I was doing two per hand at the same time. I don't miss that skill, but I miss the flat top.

drat I feel like a boss when I have one in each hand. Never even knew two was possible.

BRB gonna waste a lot of eggs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

drat I feel like a boss when I have one in each hand.

GWS General Chat:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Unrelated to eggs, but I just replaced the broiler element in my stove and feel like a boss.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bloody ghost titty posted:

...how is it made, cowboy?

In content news: get the Flavor Equation if you have any science leanings at all. It’s both beautiful and well written and oh man I’ve got a lot of books this year but this one is :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=golG6qfsPV8

xtal posted:

Imagine bong water but you're burning something that tastes good

Well I mean yeah, sorta.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

VelociBacon posted:

GWS General Chat:

Seconded

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got some chuck roast that, with the weather cooling, I want to turn into some sort of meat pie. I'm thinking of a pot pie-type thing; basically a rich beef stew in a buttery, flaky crust. Anyone have any recipes/suggestions?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Covid is ramping back up, and it's worse this time. In the interest of making as few grocery trips as possible, I'd like to stock up on staples that both last long and cover my bases in terms of nutrition. The basic list of stuff-to-get is:

- Rice (short grain, Basmati)
- Beans (red, black, also lentils I think)
- Frozen vegetables (Q: what kinds?)
- Long-lasting seasonings (vinegar, soy sauce, oil, salt, spices)
- I dunno, canned tuna or something?

What am I missing?

Another question, is it worth it to buy meat in bulk and freeze it? If so, what kinds? e.g. chicken thighs (or just entire chickens really), large chuck roasts, etc.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dried mushrooms are inexpensive if you have access to an Asian market, and they're fantastic on their own or as a broth enrichment device. You might also consider some potted herbs to give the cooking some freshness.

Depending on your source, yes, it's almost always worth bulk purchasing meat if you have the storage space because economy of scale can bring down your per-meal price by quite a bit. If you can find a butcher offering whole sides of beef and have room, it's a significant initial outlay for a huge number of meals - and you can usually get some spare soup bones and off cuts thrown in for a pittance since so many people just don't want them. For poultry, I tend to pick up whole chickens and then some extra hindquarters, because thighs and drums are a lot more versatile but sometimes you just want a whole chicken for roasting.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Think about what you actually eat and cook and then think about how often you actually want to go shopping and plan from there. Also consider your actual storage space and how secure it is from pests and how long your freezer can keep things in good condition. It's no good stuffing your freezer with 6 months worth of meat if it's going to get freezer burn after 3 months.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Covid is ramping back up, and it's worse this time.

A few other things you could look into:

You could buy some cabbage and make sauerkraut (or kimchi). That’s a common way to preserve veggies before the invention of refrigeration. Although it’s simple to make I think the first few times I tried I failed for one reason or another.

I’d recommend getting some masa harina. With some spices you can make enchiladas from scratch with beans or meat. You can also make tortillas for tacos to change things up or pupusas, or many many other things. It’s a bit more effortful, but with a big bag of masa you won’t have to pick up tortillas at the store if you feel like having them. Works best with a tortilla press.

Probably buy some bricks of cheese. The mass-market stuff lasts quite a while I think.

Also dried fruit would be good to have on hand. They can be quite calorie dense so just be careful. Costco has some good dried mango I like. Dates are always welcome. I used to get unsulphered apricots which are nice too. Plus all the other regulars.

For dates, the common types you get at the grocery are deglet noor (a bit drier) and medjool (soft and candylike). There are places you can order dates online though with much more variety. The one I’ve liked most so far are the halawi dates I got, but I only got like 3 varieties. Best stored in the fridge, and brought back to room temp IMO.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Helith posted:

Think about what you actually eat and cook and then think about how often you actually want to go shopping and plan from there. Also consider your actual storage space and how secure it is from pests and how long your freezer can keep things in good condition. It's no good stuffing your freezer with 6 months worth of meat if it's going to get freezer burn after 3 months.

We split big orders of beef/pork/lamb/chicken with friends and family

and we still get the bonus soup bones and off cuts and I get them for free YORKSHIRE PUDDING COOKED IN MARROW TALLOW TONIGHT :slick:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Things I bought in preparation for a possible new wave:
dried peas, dried pasta, dried mushrooms, canned meat, canned tuna, canned sardines, canned milk.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm not aiming for not having to go out for months at a time, just only going to the grocery store once or twice a month is enough. My freezer can handle a month or so's worth of frozen chicken.

Sounds like my best bet is to buy two or three whole chickens and break them down myself, plus grab some chicken thighs (or is that whole legs?) on the side. Break down the chicken, freeze the spine and wings and use for stock, freeze the thighs and legs for stews and adobo and such, keep the breasts fresh and use in...something, I don't know what chicken breast is good for. Good thing I have poultry shears now.

As for beef or pork, I'm avoiding them these days anyway, so eh. I'll think about them later. Though, does bacon freeze well?

Opinions on vegetables worth buying frozen? Corn seems fine to me, as do peas, and maybe spinach too.

Canned stuff, I'm not sure about. I could always buy a bunch of cans of tuna, though maybe I should invest in some canned beans to go alongside the dry ones. No idea how to handle canned meat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bacon freezes fine.

I’ve had good luck with frozen broccoli.

Canned meat? Besides tuna I’ve used canned chicken breast for chicken salad before but that’s really it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Um I think everyone here is forgetting about Our Friend Spam.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pollyanna posted:

As for beef or pork, I'm avoiding them these days anyway, so eh. I'll think about them later. Though, does bacon freeze well?
Bacon freezes well. If you're buying it refrigerated, you can open the package, roll each rasher into a wee cylinder, and then bag and freeze them that way. Then when you want to cook it you can just take out however many rashers you need, instead of having to defrost the whole pound (or whatever). If you're cooking it in an oven (I mostly use a toaster oven) you can cook from frozen--they'll more or less unroll themselves.

As for veg, a lot of it will last for two weeks (to meet your only going to the store a couple times a month goal) if you handle it appropriately. A bunch of stuff will last longer if you put it in water--green onions (which can also be planted for continuous harvest if you have a backyard you can do this in), most herbs (trim the base of the stem first), asparagus (upright in a mason jar of water in the fridge they'll last weeks easy), and so on. Lettuce and many other leafy greens will last longer washed, separated, and then placed in ziplock bags layered with paper towels. Most fresh mushrooms will keep longer in a delitainer lined with a damp paper towel. Carrots, radishes, and stuff like that will last much longer if you cut off the greens first (storing them separately if you want to use them).

Dunno what all you cook with so I don't want to just rattle off a bunch of random veg storage tips. But it's something to be aware of if you're used to just chucking stuff in the fridge in the produce bag from the store or whatever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of canned fish is real good nowadays.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SubG posted:

Bacon freezes well. If you're buying it refrigerated, you can open the package, roll each rasher into a wee cylinder, and then bag and freeze them that way. Then when you want to cook it you can just take out however many rashers you need, instead of having to defrost the whole pound (or whatever). If you're cooking it in an oven (I mostly use a toaster oven) you can cook from frozen--they'll more or less unroll themselves.

As for veg, a lot of it will last for two weeks (to meet your only going to the store a couple times a month goal) if you handle it appropriately. A bunch of stuff will last longer if you put it in water--green onions (which can also be planted for continuous harvest if you have a backyard you can do this in), most herbs (trim the base of the stem first), asparagus (upright in a mason jar of water in the fridge they'll last weeks easy), and so on. Lettuce and many other leafy greens will last longer washed, separated, and then placed in ziplock bags layered with paper towels. Most fresh mushrooms will keep longer in a delitainer lined with a damp paper towel. Carrots, radishes, and stuff like that will last much longer if you cut off the greens first (storing them separately if you want to use them).

Dunno what all you cook with so I don't want to just rattle off a bunch of random veg storage tips. But it's something to be aware of if you're used to just chucking stuff in the fridge in the produce bag from the store or whatever.

drat fine call on the bacon. I have a pound in my freezer now that I haven't used yet because I don't have a use for a pound of bacon. Ill do that next time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are late night grocery stores near me that are ghost towns after 9pm so I'm just going to keep shopping regularly even as we go through more lockdown and increased restrictions. I went out two nights ago and I was literally the only customer in the store.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SubG posted:

Hell yeah, I'll grab a few packs and freeze it all then.

quote:

Good to know. I heard that thing about green onions and I've thought about trying it, NGL. Especially cause I have some leftovers right now and I wanna make sure they keep living.

I often end up getting onions and then those onions get old and wrinkly because I just don't end up using them all. Is there a way to preserve onions, or am I doomed to having to freshen up every week if I cook with them? Carrots, too, I have a bunch right now and I just have no idea what to do with them cause I don't really want to make that glazed carrot + barley salad thing I made a few weeks back.

Also any way to preserve heads of garlic, since I tend to not use them quite often enough before they get kinda old, sharp, and (in a couple cases) mushy. Maybe mincing it all and steeping it in oil like a confit????

One of the hardest things with cooking is keeping a list of staple recipes in mind. I can only remember how to make meatballs off the top of my head :(

CommonShore posted:

There are late night grocery stores near me that are ghost towns after 9pm so I'm just going to keep shopping regularly even as we go through more lockdown and increased restrictions. I went out two nights ago and I was literally the only customer in the store.

Be warned that depending on where you live they might be ghost towns because you're under an advisory or order to not go outside after 9pm.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 15, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Hell yeah, I'll grab a few packs and freeze it all then.

Good to know. I heard that thing about green onions and I've thought about trying it, NGL. Especially cause I have some leftovers right now and I wanna make sure they keep living.

I often end up getting onions and then those onions get old and wrinkly because I just don't end up using them all. Is there a way to preserve onions, or am I doomed to having to freshen up every week if I cook with them? Carrots, too, I have a bunch right now and I just have no idea what to do with them cause I don't really want to make that glazed carrot + barley salad thing I made a few weeks back.

Also any way to preserve heads of garlic, since I tend to not use them quite often enough before they get kinda old, sharp, and (in a couple cases) mushy. Maybe mincing it all and steeping it in oil like a confit????

One of the hardest things with cooking is keeping a list of staple recipes in mind. I can only remember how to make meatballs off the top of my head :(

Be warned that depending on where you live they might be ghost towns because you're under an advisory or order to not go outside after 9pm.

Do not store garlic in oil. You can get botulism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

therattle posted:

Welp that's why I ask!!!!!!!!!!!

So what are my options, then? Maybe I'll invest in one of those big jars of the pre-minced stuff.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Do you like Thai curries Pollyanna? If you do they are very store cupboard friendly, buy a jar, or tub, of red/green curry paste, some tins of coconut milk, and a bag of rice, then all you need is meat/seafood from your freezer and whatever veg you have that needs eating up.
Japanese curry is the same, buy some roux blocks and just make it with whatever you have on hand.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Pollyanna posted:

Welp that's why I ask!!!!!!!!!!!

So what are my options, then? Maybe I'll invest in one of those big jars of the pre-minced stuff.

You can freeze garlic, if longevity is your main concern. Frozen garlic lasts up to a year. The texture won't be the same, but since most recipes require mincing and cooking the garlic, texture generally isn't as important as in most other vegetables.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

therattle posted:

I asked in one of these threads and someone pointed me to research from the University of Idaho which is duplicated at this page on How to Safely Make Infused Oils

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dead Of Winter posted:

You can freeze garlic, if longevity is your main concern. Frozen garlic lasts up to a year. The texture won't be the same, but since most recipes require mincing and cooking the garlic, texture generally isn't as important as in most other vegetables.

Trader Joe's (and probably other stores) sell frozen garlic and ginger cubes that are real handy for sauces. They taste good, last forever, and the texture doesn't matter like you say. I always have a couple boxes of those in the freezer for oh poo poo I'm in the middle of cooking and out of garlic situations.

Pre-minced garlic isn't that bad either?? It's not fresh but if you think you're not going to a grocery for a few months and it's what you got, it's fine.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Happiness Commando posted:

I asked in one of these threads and someone pointed me to research from the University of Idaho which is duplicated at this page on How to Safely Make Infused Oils

sweet, I was about to say there's plenty of ways to preserve garlic in oil without risking botulism, but didn't really want to go through the effort of enumerating all the minutiae again

also, like, garlic & onions keep a fairly long time on their own if they're cured properly, my parents/grandparents always put them in the root cellar/larder and they'd be fine for months

but yes, don't just slap garlic in oil & forget it on a shelf

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hauki posted:

also, like, garlic & onions keep a fairly long time on their own if they're cured properly, my parents/grandparents always put them in the root cellar/larder and they'd be fine for months

This is what I wanted to say -- if your garlic or onions are going bad, I'd either switch your supplier (if you can) or try to find a lower humidity but decently ventilated spot for them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is the fridge not enough?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They go bad faster in the fridge in my experience. Cool and dry but unrefrigerated is best. And in a single layer, onions/garlic stacked up will press on each other and the ones at the bottom go bad a lot faster.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if your garlic is spoiling the answer is simply to eat more garlic

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

They go bad faster in the fridge

what

Well gently caress me I guess. I'll see if I can't stock up and figure out a place to put them that isn't the fridge. Maybe the counter I guess.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Onions I've had success long term in the back of a dark cupboard. Essentially do your best to imitate a root cellar and there's a lot of things that can store for longer than you think.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

If you have a shitload of garlic, put it in a jar and pour in enough soy sauce to cover. Fridge is fine then. It's probably shelf stable too (botulism isn't halo-tolerant) but I kept it in the fridge for 3 years and all it got was darker and more umami-tasting. The soy sauce runoff was great too.

Garlic also ferments well. Weigh garlic and enough water to cover it in whatever you're keeping it in, then add 3% of that total in salt and leave it on the counter for a week or three. Keep in the fridge after that, or bump the salt up to 5-6% and it should be shelf stable if all of the Vietnamese restaurants with pickled garlic on their tables around here are anything to go by. Sadly, onions don't ferment well on their own so this doesn't work with them.

Dark is more important than anything else with onions; if they have light they'll try to grow and the sprouting will make the bulb pithy. Keep them in a double-layer paper bag or in a cabinet or something. On the bright side, even if your onion gets a little soft on the outside the inner layers can still be used.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For most bulb-ish alliums--garlic, bulb-forming onions, shallots, and so on, but not leeks, green onions, and that kind of allium--if they've been hardened then what you want to do is put 'em in one of those sock-like hanging produce bags. Basically anything that lets a little air around them, so if they decide to go bad it'll be by drying out to nothing but paper instead of going to mold.

Main thing when you're storing them is to either keep them just above freezing or keep them just above 25 C/77 F and don't vary the temperature more than a degree or two. Have 'em warm and then cool them off, or keep them cool and let them get warm, and then they decide it's time to grow and then best case they won't keep as long, worst case they'll go to mold/rot.

Worst place to keep most alliums is in the range around 20 - 25 C (68 - 77 F), which unfortunately is room temperature for most people. This isn't so bad if the onions or whatever have been hardened well--I keep potato onions from the garden hanging in the kitchen and they keep for over a year. But they're hardy as gently caress and I harden them for a couple of months before putting them up. Grocery store alliums usually aren't hardened for poo poo, and they're cultivars that were selected for yield rather than keeping, so it can be a crapshoot if you're trying to store them long-term.

That all said, almost all commercial onions should keep for a week or two with no problems if you keep the temperature stable. It's really temperature fluctuations that tell alliums to start growing, so keep the temperature stable and as long as they're dry they'll usually keep for a couple weeks.

And keep in mind that any allium that wants to sprout can just be plonked in some soil and it'll grow. Alliums are pretty much easy mode for gardening.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’ve had onions that I bought in the beginning of October still cheerfully trucking along in my fridge. I keep them in a zip lock bag, in the veg drawer. When selecting onions, gently feel around the stem end. It should feel firm, not soft. They last longer if they’re more firm when you begin with.

Potatoes go in a bigger zip lock. Garlic, I’ll keep in the fridge for a couple of months quite happily. Ginger I wash well and dry as soon as I get home. Then I mince it in the food processor, and measure out 1 TB amounts. I put that on a silpat lined sheet pan. That goes in a freezer for a few hours. When it’s done, I lay it onto a sheet of foil, and roll it up. That then goes into a zip lock and stays in the freezer.

Cilantro and basil, I’ll mince finely in a food processor, with the tender stems included, and freeze in one layer on parchment paper. When it’s done, it goes into a zip lock and stays in the freezer. Chilies I will take the stems off, and freeze whole. I only ever buy the Thai bird chilies, and they are thin enough to slice up when I am ready for them to cook.

For longer term pantry staples, stick with things that you actively eat. Canned corn is lovely, and doesn’t take up precious freezer space. Canned beans are nice in a pinch, but mostly for recipes where you need your beans to be as whole and distinct as possible. For recipes where the bean is a daal, or a purée (like hummus or other dips), it’s best to use the dried bean and cook it up yourself. So for salads and soups where the beans are meant to be distinct, I use the canned/tetra pack beans. Aside from tomato products, beans, and corn, there isn’t really any canned stuff I buy.

TVP is relatively inexpensive, and shelf stable. It’s easy to make into whatever you want it to taste like, because it’s neutral tasting and behaves like a sponge once you rehydrate it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Does anyone have a good stuffing recipe? Ideally, one that doesn't require you to cook it in the turkey because that never works, and even better, a meatless one. (Not out of ethics, so I don't mind eggs or milk or whatever, I just don't like sausage.)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bogart posted:

Does anyone have a good stuffing recipe? Ideally, one that doesn't require you to cook it in the turkey because that never works, and even better, a meatless one. (Not out of ethics, so I don't mind eggs or milk or whatever, I just don't like sausage.)

It's a GWS favorite:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I always do sourdough bread, onion, celery, tart green apple, wild rice, pine nuts, Hella Sage. It goes in the turkey, under the turkey, it goes compressed in a baking dish with lots of chicken stock and butter (or mushroom for veg) kind of like a savory bread pudding. It's my favorite holiday dish by far.