Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pfft the domestic abuse ones are way worse than the "don't spill a huge pot full of boiling oil all over your face" ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I...no. No, I'm not even gonna say it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
SAY IT

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Say it NOW.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXRwplFTh_Y

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ithoughtitwaskindafunnyinasicksortofway

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whelp

https://www.facebook.com/TwentyFirstCenturyLimited

maybe I'm going to be flying to chicago only to immediately get on a train to new york? I'm game!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Pfft the domestic abuse ones are way worse than the "don't spill a huge pot full of boiling oil all over your face" ones.

I disagree, I find the latter one far more disturbing.

drat, I love Wiggles's new avatar... not that I don't like Wiggles, but his CostCo hate is something I simply can't abide by.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where ya been Squashy?

Also, stealing this post from the Industry thread.

DownsideUp posted:

Hey guys, just as a sidenote, Jiro dreams of sushi is up on netflix instant. as is El Bulli Cooking in Progress. Great stuff.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

mindphlux posted:

whelp

https://www.facebook.com/TwentyFirstCenturyLimited

maybe I'm going to be flying to chicago only to immediately get on a train to new york? I'm game!

This looks like much more fun, but apparently the private event is Eleven Madison Park and Alinea are switching kitchens. The staff hasn't been allowed to make reservations, but it should be open to the public. He said to keep calling incessantly, don't email, and check the Chicago Tribune.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

This looks like much more fun, but apparently the private event is Eleven Madison Park and Alinea are switching kitchens. The staff hasn't been allowed to make reservations, but it should be open to the public. He said to keep calling incessantly, don't email, and check the Chicago Tribune.

awesome, thanks for all your help.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Today I ran across a can of cream of mushroom soup in my local supermarket, and realised that I have never ever tasted this wonder product. So now I have a can in my pantry and I'm very excited about finding out how a product that can cause so much controversy might taste like.

I expect wonders.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

mindphlux posted:

awesome, thanks for all your help.

Sorry we couldn't actually help, but please post if you get in!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

DekeThornton posted:

Today I ran across a can of cream of mushroom soup in my local supermarket, and realised that I have never ever tasted this wonder product. So now I have a can in my pantry and I'm very excited about finding out how a product that can cause so much controversy might taste like.

I expect wonders.

It tastes like mushrooms and cream, maybe salt. It's the historical legacy of what people have done with it, like say, guns, which inspires the controversy. What I'm saying is, you should have a license to operate cream of mushroom soup.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I plan on heating it and then consuming it, with a crispbread sandwich with cheese on the side, or maybe a roasted sourdough sandwich. Should be a fierework display of flavour.

I also found canned pölsa, which I also look forward to.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If you're gonna go that route, check if you can get some good Wermlandian hackkorv instead. It's pretty good. even better than pölsa. Make sure to fry both pölsa and hackkorv really well so you get a crust.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Hackkorv is hard to find. Even harder than stångkorv, these days. But at least Isterband is always readily available.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I feel like coded transmissions are being sent by double agents here...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Coded transmissions from the moon, maybe

Manuel Calavera posted:

Where ya been Squashy?

Um... I've become a full-time Brony?

My life is super busy. Stressy, full travel job, plus caring for a certain GWSer forum friend of ours... her mental illness got the best of her, and I had to put her in the hospital. She is out now, in a day program, and doing better, but it's still an ongoing source of stress, since she is unemployed and living on my floor.

Goddamn, if you think health care is hosed up in this country, you've never had to deal with the public mental health system. It's far worse. :(

I've always felt that canned mushroom soup tastes like MSG... even though MSG supposedly has no flavor. As in, it tastes like mushrooms, but it's an unnaturally intense mushroom flavor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have here a jar of MSG, and when I try it, it tastes like concentrated mushrooms.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I'd ask this in the appropriate thread, but the Chicago Dining thread appears to have disappeared.

I'm moving to the Chicago area on Friday, from the UK. Can anyone recommend a restaurant that I stand a chance of getting a reservation at, or a walk in on Saturday, September first?

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Avec

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any preference for food?

Deep dish pizza is one of Chicago's regional specialties. If you wanna try that, Gino's East or Giordano's.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://wherethefuckshouldigotoeat.com/

Not by the same people as http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you don't mind vegetarian food, hit up Chicago Diner. Their food is pretty solid, and their prices aren't /that/ expensive.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
try some Lithuanian "cuisine"!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bad news this weekend: my washing machine broke a drive shaft.

Good news this weekend: we harvested many bushels of pears and apples and now the Apple butter is starting to cook.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bad news this weekend: my washing machine broke a drive shaft.

Good news this weekend: we harvested many bushels of pears and apples and now the Apple butter is starting to cook.

Make pear chutney, Wiggles. You know you want to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

An observer posted:

try some Lithuanian "cuisine"!

one of the greatest food items I have ever eaten may have come from a lithuanian

there was some girl who was a flatmate when I was living in germany who was a giant slut, but also lithuanian. she made these crisp almost crouton like matchsticks of rye bread - she just fried rye bread in oil until crisp, rubbed them with a cut raw garlic clove, and then sprinkled sea salt on them. they were really loving good :(

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Oh, I used to have those too, but it was garlic-rubbed bread slices crisped in the oven. I don't think it's a lithuanian thing though. Here is what makes lithuanian food: pork, sour cream, or potatoes. :buddy:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

Make pear chutney, Wiggles. You know you want to.

Ooooooooohhhhhhh.......

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I always thought Wiggles washed his clothes in a hand-cranked machine or with a washboard in the nearest creek, using soap he'd made himself.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

therattle posted:

I always thought Wiggles washed his clothes in a hand-cranked machine or with a washboard in the nearest creek, using soap he'd made himself.

Anything less is giving in to the corporate vultures.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

No offense but the first 4 things that website recommended for me were Einstein Brothers Bagels, Burger King, Sweet Tomatoes and loving Chipotle. Based on that I wouldn't recommend anyone use it for anything, especially in a place like Chicago.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

http://wheelof.com/lunch/ is far superior, anyways.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2Vnp5ZW4c

:stare:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Holy gently caress. That's genuinely amazing. I am off to find some eggs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

No offense but the first 4 things that website recommended for me were Einstein Brothers Bagels, Burger King, Sweet Tomatoes and loving Chipotle. Based on that I wouldn't recommend anyone use it for anything, especially in a place like Chicago.

Yeah, a friend of a friend was trying it out in NY, and she got 1) Subway, 2) Dunkin Donuts, 3) some chicken stand. What a waste of a URL.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
It really should be wherestheclosestfoodicanstuffinmyface.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I got:

-Bad food court noodle shop at downtown underground mall
-bad diner that no longer exists
-Vegan food commune that doesn't serve anything edible other than dessert
-chinese place (admittedly great) that hasn't existed for a while
-wine bar that lasted 6 months 3 years ago

Only saved from fast food by the fact that none really exists within a 3 block radius of the default winnipeg location.