Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My scouting experience was pretty tame. My friend's dad was the troop leader. We watched nature videos a lot and went fishing a ton. The go-to nature video was a PBS piece on hyenas. The leader, a high school teacher, thought their mock penises were hilarious. And in my 11 year old mind, a lady animal with a dick showing dominance over other hyenas was pretty damned funny.

edit: one of my favorite hyena pics:

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Drink and Fight posted:

In Girl Scouts all we ever did was say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing songs about friendship. Also I had to sell a fuckton of cookies. I wanted out on the first day but my mom was on a no-quitting tear too. I was stuck in there once a week for three years, listening to impossibly fat women lecture us on the importance of being kind (of course the minute they thought we weren't listening, it was bitch, bitch, bitch). My dad called the pair of them Thunder Thighs. A couple of times I got sent to camp to drink watered-down Kool-Aid, and on several occasions the other girls filled my sleeping bag with dirt.

I just wanted to stay home and read about dragons. :(

This was basically my experience, except for the times we went to horse camp. Horse camp is the best thing as a young girl.

And also, if you don't like samoas you can gently caress right off, best cookie ever.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

German cookies are better than Girl Scout cookies.

e: All German cookies

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Danish cookies.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Safety Engineer posted:

The scouting program in Utah is...well it's nothing like the one I did with my dad after we first moved back to the states. Tried it out with my son a year ago, I was kind of excited for him to have the fun I did when I was kid.

We both decided not to go back after the first meeting, it was boring as all hell and was basically endless prayer sessions followed by a discussion on how you really should get your Eagle if you plan on doing a mission. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic in the slightest bit either.
My mom spent years trying to find me a non-Mormon troop to join. Once she finally found one and was satisfied with it, I joined up and had an awesome time...until my scoutmaster got hurt in an accident. :(

Even though I'm still Mormon at the moment, damned if any of my male children will participate in the Church scouting program. We'll go camping on our own, thanks.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phummus posted:

Give me more to work with here. I've made cheese with just milk and an acid (Lemon juice or vinegar) before. I've never done a renant cheese. Any suggestions for what kind of cheese would be most desirable?

The kind of cheese where raw milk makes the most difference is the one we're not allowed to buy in the US because food nazis. If you're feeling up to a challenge and have the proper facilities, do something soft ripened like brie or camembert. If not, feta is easier than most cheeses and absolutely delicious.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

Is your family cool with you and your husband, dino? My Jewish family cut me off for marrying a non-Jew. Couldn't imagine if I'd had to come out to them. :(
Of course. My nephews and niece love Steve as much as they love me, and my parents like Steve /more/ than they like me. :gonk: Funny enough, his mum and I (when she was alive) got along famously. She would frequently ask Steve to leave me back when he returned to Florida. XD

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Heh, that's like my Indian family with my wife. They all like her more than they like me. [edit]

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 20, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Heh, that's like my Indian family with my wife. They all like her more than they like more.
Is anyone here surprised? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

How disappointing to learn that Ben Stein is a nut job.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
E/n: ffffff I need a food service trailer or truck in the Seattle area, right now and for the next three weeks or I am going to die (figuratively).

So I managed to get everything sorted for my mobil unit ( even when my time was reduced to 3 weeks instead of 10 weeks) except I did not realize that since I bought my trailer in Portland it would have to go through L&I inspections. Now I am sitting here with my thumb up my rear end.

Speck Ham is amazing, if you have not tried it it's a real treat.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

therattle posted:

Is anyone here surprised? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

How disappointing to learn that Ben Stein is a nut job.
You missed the chance to point out my doofus typo. And totally agreed with you on Ben Stein.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Does anyone have a link to, or the recipe for the One True Hummus?

I went to the Indian Grocery the other day and grabbed some Tahini, a couple pounds of dried garbanzos and a few other non-hummus things. I'm searching all over to find sumac, but that's tough to come by apparently.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't you need peanut butter?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I'll toss in some Reese's at the last minute.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I loved scouts and was a leader for years after being in the program, the american ones always scared me a bit though. When I was in the program I was always considered the responsible one so I was the first one to get girls when the program went coed around 1990 oh, and I got the juvey kids when for some reason they joined too. One of them was totally criminal, the other one was just some kid with a learning disability who got taken advantage of by some bad "friends."

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Why? Why must my boss spend the last 5 hours on the phone with Dell tech support when I TOLD HIM that all but one of his usb ports were busted, and that it was NOT a software problem? He just got off the phone and said he needs a usb hub so he can split that one good port...something I TOLD HIM 5 hours ago. Like...goddamn dude, next time don't even bother asking me what's up if you're gonna go ignore that advice.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
I'm not sure if this would go in the cocktail thread or not, but I recently discovered molecular mixology aka making gooey drinks art and am wondering if buying a kit off thinkgeek (for the uninitiated such as myself) would be worth it, or if I should just buy the ingredients in bulk and get with the creative juices flowing.

Also, hello GWS, its been a while

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

Does anyone have a link to, or the recipe for the One True Hummus?

I went to the Indian Grocery the other day and grabbed some Tahini, a couple pounds of dried garbanzos and a few other non-hummus things. I'm searching all over to find sumac, but that's tough to come by apparently.

At work, we generally do 3 cups of dried chickpeas, soaked and then boiled. To which it's 1 cup of tahini, 1 cup of x.v. olive oil, 3/4 cup lemon juice, 1 1/2 TB salt, 3 TB of minced garlic (not the stuff in the jar; you take a bunch of peeled garlic, and then mince it), and roughly 3/4 cups water. Mind you, this goes in the fuckoff huge food processor, so if yours is less than 14 cups, scale back a bit. It ends up making around 5 lbs of hummus.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

dino. posted:

At work, we generally do 3 cups of dried chickpeas, soaked and then boiled. To which it's 1 cup of tahini, 1 cup of x.v. olive oil, 3/4 cup lemon juice, 1 1/2 TB salt, 3 TB of minced garlic (not the stuff in the jar; you take a bunch of peeled garlic, and then mince it), and roughly 3/4 cups water. Mind you, this goes in the fuckoff huge food processor, so if yours is less than 14 cups, scale back a bit. It ends up making around 5 lbs of hummus.

I should really try making it to this recipe (cut down a bit for a domestic FP) and taking/pics throwing it on the wiki as I don't think we have a hummus recipe up there.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Just realized some people don't hang out in COUPONS as much as me. $10 amazon GC for $5.

-- cooponz4lyfe

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

dino. posted:

To me, that sounds like a lot of tahin (and no cumin?). I guess hummus has about as many variants as chili, though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Dane posted:

To me, that sounds like a lot of tahin (and no cumin?). I guess hummus has about as many variants as chili, though.
You're going to get many regional and family variations in hummus seeing as how it's eaten in such a wide range of areas, from the Mediterranean to the Middle East.

The creamiest hummus comes from having a /lot/ of tahina. Cumin is for sprinkling over top. Just when you're done making the hummus, you spread it onto a plate, and sprinkle on a bit of parsley, paprika, or cumin. For cumin, you toast the seeds in a dry pan over medium high heat until the pan smokes a little, and the cumin pops. Immediately throw it into your pestle and mortar, and give it a quick bash. You want the seeds broken, but not powdered. You don't generally put cumin into the grinding thingy. My friends Israeli BF tends to actually not add olive oil to the grinder at all, and only drizzles the olive oil over top of the finished hummus.

That being said, 3 cups of chickpeas cooks up into almost 9 cups when it's been soaked and boiled. Yeah, it's a lot of tahina, but you're not talking about a recipe where you can taste a strong taste of tahina. There's still plenty of other stuff going on that it works out in the end.

For the record: this does /not/ work with tinned chickpeas. For good hummus, you need to soak your chickpeas overnight, to get full hydration on them, then cook them until they're completely soft. Tinned chickpeas never get as soft as properly cooked dried ones, and your hummus will end up more grainy and mealy rather than creamy and smooth, as it should be.

There's also all kinds of variations, including kinds with slivered almonds, fava beans, cooked whole chickpeas, and any number of spices you can think of.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I have found that the biggest improvement to hummus making, for me personally, was to cook the chickpeas for longer than I thought they really needed. So I'll put them in the pressure cooker with a scant 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and cook them until they just turn into the creamiest mush when you press them between the tongue and roof of the mouth.

I don't put more than 3 or so Tbsp of tahini in for a single batch, because I like to use hummus a lot, and don't need all the extra fat. If I'm making it for guests or a party, I'll add more tahini and oil (>_>). In a similar vein, I don't use much olive oil.

Then I blend it with a bit more salt than you think it'll take, some cayenne pepper (or other heat source), a tiny smidge of cumin, lemon juice and garlic. Sometimes I'll take a fresh herb or roasted pepper and toss it in, and sometimes I'll blend basil or other greens like parsley in oil to make a green oil, then drizzle that on top.

Great with fresh pitas. Or anything else.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I normally used tinned chickpeas as it's mostly thrown together spontaneously, but I should try dry ones for that smooth creaminess.
Could I soak them overnight and leave them in a slow cooker all day?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

therattle posted:

Could I soak them overnight and leave them in a slow cooker all day?

I've done that before. Seems to work fine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

hoboerotic posted:

I've done that before. Seems to work fine.

Thanks. I might try the porridge setting (which uses high heat for five minutes) to get the temperature up, and then leave on slow cook for 9 hours. Is the bicarb helpful in softening them?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Thanks. I might try the porridge setting (which uses high heat for five minutes) to get the temperature up, and then leave on slow cook for 9 hours. Is the bicarb helpful in softening them?

Yeah. If you cook beans a lot, I have to recommend a pressure cooker; it gets them done from dry in 40 minutes or so, and is pretty great.

While I advocate soaking from dry because it's so much cheaper, it's not that big of a flavor improvement over dry. If you want to use canned, just rinse them off and recook them for a while to get them softer; canned chickpeas are not, in my experience, soft enough out of the can for really great hummus.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Toast posted:

I should really try making it to this recipe (cut down a bit for a domestic FP) and taking/pics throwing it on the wiki as I don't think we have a hummus recipe up there.

I'll do pics when I make it. I'll do the soak tonight and the hummus tomorrow night as long as nothing goes haywire in the ol' domestic life.

My plan is to soak 1 cup of dry, cook them (which should yield about 3 cups cooked), put them in the food processor with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, around 2 Tablespoons of tahini, and the juice of a lemon and spin them up. Then I'll drizzle in extra virgin olive oil until I get the consistency I want. Should I expect the final product to firm up in the refrigerator a bit because there's several different kinds of fat in there?

Phummus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 21, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Defect Mechanism posted:

I'm not sure if this would go in the cocktail thread or not, but I recently discovered molecular mixology aka making gooey drinks art and am wondering if buying a kit off thinkgeek (for the uninitiated such as myself) would be worth it, or if I should just buy the ingredients in bulk and get with the creative juices flowing.

Also, hello GWS, its been a while

Sup bro. We've got a molecular gastronomy thread which is probably the best suited to that sort of question. And good luck with your weirdo drinks.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dane posted:

Cumin in hummus drives me crazy. Muffles the pure taste of the lemon, tahina, and chickpeas.

In other news, I love my job and my coworkers. Yesterday a female coworker was telling me about a shirt she bought at a thrift store. The shirt says, "Proud Member of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee." She is, uh, not actually a member of that committee. :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Phummus posted:

I'll do pics when I make it. I'll do the soak tonight and the hummus tomorrow night as long as nothing goes haywire in the ol' domestic life.

My plan is to soak 1 cup of dry, cook them (which should yield about 3 cups cooked), put them in the food processor with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, around 2 Tablespoons of tahini, and the juice of a lemon and spin them up. Then I'll drizzle in extra virgin olive oil until I get the consistency I want. Should I expect the final product to firm up in the refrigerator a bit because there's several different kinds of fat in there?

I dunno about you, but I prefer to leave the olive oil out of the hummus. I've found over the years that you have to add a looot to get a really great consistency. Instead I'll trickle in some water (sometimes combining the tahini, lemon and water, then drizzling that all in) until I hit it where I want. Then I'll pour some olive oil on top, so you get a little with every scoop.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I think raw garlic is not the best way to go with hummus. It always tastes fine immediately, but then gets bitter after a few hours in the fridge. I've taken to putting 3-4 peeled smashed garlic cloves in a ramekin, covering with olive oil, and cooking in a 225-250°F oven for 45 minutes. This gets you very deep garlic flavor in the oil and the garlic loses that bite. Awesomely garlicky hummus.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

It does thicken up. Also, the more tahina you add, the thicker your hummus will end up. What I will frequently do is hold back about a small handful of chickpeas as insurance, because I invariably end up adding a bit too much liquid for the whole mess to stand up properly on the plate. The chickpeas I have on reserve tend to thicken up the hummus quite nicely. If you're juicing your lemon fresh anyway, might as well throw in some of the zest too. It brings up the lemony flavour without making things too tart.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Both mediaphage and KWC are correct: oil as a garnish rather than a major ingredient, and roasted garlic > raw garlic in hummus.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks. I'll modify my plans.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Macaroni posted:

Both mediaphage and KWC are correct: oil as a garnish rather than a major ingredient, and roasted garlic > raw garlic in hummus.

I'm with you. My friend from Iraq introduced me to hummus and he was an oil drizzler on the top rather than a major component guy, so that's the way I started eating it, and therefore it's "right" to my palate.

He also introduced me to Turkish coffee, falafel, samboosak, etc. I didn't grow up around any middle easterners (or any non-white folks, really), so I suffered greatly. I learned late what good food was. Damned Midwestern hot dishes :mad:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I add some oil but thin more with water. Roasting the garlic, eh...intriguing..

I assume you add the garlicky oil - I would.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I usually do that thing, but to a couple of hundred cloves at a time...

Then I use them like a motherfucker!

Edit: I do not imply that a part of having intercourse with your maternal parent is using roasted garlic, I do not know if there's any special things that you need to observe, or rituals that needs to be followed, but I am completely sure that there's an american site describing it in detail, with pictures, and a narrative comparing different methods of using garlic in the act of incest.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 21, 2012

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
My technique is to cook the chickpeas until they are almost falling apart tender, heavily salt the water and let it cool a bit. Then drain off most of the water leaving them still pretty hot and wet and hit it with an immersion blender. Once its smooth I add the tahini until the color of the hummus lightens and then roasted garlic and the oil that I simmered it in until the texture lightens. I take it until its thicker than I like and finish it with lemon. The whole process goes much smoother and your end product is much finer if you do it while everything is hot. Just leave it a bit looser than you would like as it will firm up quite a bit.

Think of it kind of like making a mayonnaise and play with your emulsion as such. Starting with a loose puree is key. It's the difference between delicious hummus and a chickpea puree with some tahini and lemon.

I go through a pound of dried chickpeas every other week and this has come from much trial and error. My hands down favorite meal is fresh warm hummus, labneh with zataar and olive oil and flatbread.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

When I roast garlic, I cut the top of the head off, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, wrap in foil and throw it in the oven for an hour or so at 350. You mentioned using the oil that you simmer the garlic in. Can you describe your garlic roasting technique as well? I would think prolonged exposure to heat would reduce the fruitiness of a good olive oil.